Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Darkmoor! The Deadly Swamp

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Jul 14, 2013 wrote:
Threads merged!
Threads can be merged?! -is somehow still not distracted from hugging Gracie-

Gracie shakes her head and mumbles, "The captain's been hugging me ever since I joined the crew."

"She's just happy another girl joined the crew, besides me and Neko. Plus, she's been talking nonstop about ye since she heard of ye." Bonnie giggles.

To remain on topic, I'd also imagine Darkmoor as a land with marshes, meadows, and well, lagoons.

Ciao!

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
The way y'all describing it, it sound Darkmoor will be an Halloween-like world. (i don't mind, Halloween has always been my favorite holiday).

To add onto this, I remember reading something on Pirate's 101 character description about the Witchdoctor's teacher and how she was from Darkmoor, but ran away and to this day refuses to talk about it... something pretty bad must had gone down there to make her not talk about it's eerie secrets (she talks about everything creepy)!

Now I'm thinking, after reading someone else's thread about references they'd like to see (they said something about the Walking Dead), I'm thinking perhaps some sort of apocalypse broke out like a classic zombie apocalypse (or if KI wants to be creative, perhaps a frog apocalypse? ) and that's why Vadima left to begin with. She wouldn't want to talk about it cause maybe it got to her friends and family and she couldn't save them?

Perhaps before we go to Darkmoor, she'll stop us and finally tell us of what happened there, and send us on a series of quests (you know there's got to be a series of quests about the new world before we actually go there, like Marleybone), to help us create potions to stop the disease from attacking us as well (it's too late for her people already effected). Maybe once we get to Darkmoor, we'll save the few that haven't been bitten and perhaps a few may join our crew..?

Sheesh, me and my imagination, huh? XD I'm plaguing the whole spiral of threads! Muhahahah

Ensign
Nov 11, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:
Threads can be merged?! -is somehow still not distracted from hugging Gracie-

Gracie shakes her head and mumbles, "The captain's been hugging me ever since I joined the crew."

"She's just happy another girl joined the crew, besides me and Neko. Plus, she's been talking nonstop about ye since she heard of ye." Bonnie giggles.

To remain on topic, I'd also imagine Darkmoor as a land with marshes, meadows, and well, lagoons.

Ciao!
Aye they can, but only by the developers I believe.

I figured to make all the ideas come together, this thread would be awesome...

Thank Ye All for making this thread a flaming one! This is my first one yet!!!

ARRRR See ya in the Skyways!
Brass Leo Hornigold, Level 54 Swashy

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 16, 2013 wrote:
Yes, I do imagine Darkmoor as a mostly twilight world... broad expanses of flower-covered moor, bleached by moonlight, livened up by patches of cranberries or lingonberries with areas of dangerous quaking bogs and dark, hidden streams. But I would imagine Darkmoor to be much more than a large moor. I imagine it to be a largely wild place, with say, expanses of birch and pine forest, mysterious ponds and rivers below great cliffs, expanses of open field (perhaps plateau), punctuated by small villages and brooding castles (the latter on top of those great cliffs, perhaps!).

My guess for inspiration would probably be Germany-Eastern Europe, as I wouldn't be surprised if 'Darkmoor' was a playful reference to Germany's 'Black Forest', and legends of vampires arise primarily in Eastern Europe. Such a setting would give scope to play with many folktales, myths, and legends that come from that part of the world. Think of the German folktales collected by the Grimm brothers - and not a few concern frogs (The Frog Prince, the Forest Bride or Puddocky, even Sleeping Beauty, etc.). And there are plenty of dangers beyond vampires (though the vampire bats in Cool Ranch seem to be a most civilized lot... but there are always exceptions). Below ground you have the dangerous (but occasionally helpful) mine dwellers -- kobolds & wichtlein. In forests you have the willi, of often lethal intent (I'm thinking of the ballet 'Giselle' here), and even more dangerous, the Russian version of the willi, the Rusalka -- the angry, vengeful dead (often girls murdered by their sweethearts). Here you could meet the benign Mother Holle, or the deadly but capricious Baba Yaga (who might have a sister in Avalon ). And there are nixies in ponds; the forest lords are dangerous and usually unfriendly as well. Lots of material to work with!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Here's a comment. Vampires come from Romania, not Germany. At least I think. Plus, I'm afraid of the dark!

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Iguana the Valiant on Jul 15, 2013 wrote:
Aye they can, but only by the developers I believe.

I figured to make all the ideas come together, this thread would be awesome...

Thank Ye All for making this thread a flaming one! This is my first one yet!!!

ARRRR See ya in the Skyways!
Brass Leo Hornigold, Level 54 Swashy
OUR thread, remember? XD I promise I'm just teasing. Flaming threads are almost as awesome as flaming flowers. (I'm the only one who gets that.)

Woohoo! Thread combination of awesomesauciness!

Ciao!

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
I don't understand this newfangled type of analogy! Back in MY day we didn't HAVE computers, we had to chuck rocks through our neighbors windows to give out our messages! It makes me so confused! I don't understand!

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
Didn't it say that frogs originate from cool ranch, or if not, then Marleybone? And like most other birds, wouldn't the ducks just be pioneers tired of mooshu, their homeland? I mean, geese, crane come from there, why not ducks too? Darkmoor sounds like the place for lagooneys, regular humans, and maybe some brand new race, like the silverfish? Or the aristocratic bats! Yes! Bats! Oh, good idea. It is DARKmoor, so I guess bats would make sense. And then vampires could be the spawn of the infected werebat creatures! Yes, most exquisite! I'm on a role!
The vampire/werebat infestation could be a problem starting out small, but then slowly turn into an epidemic. It would make a nice puppet show flashback too! And then once you need to travel to darkmoor, you can go to some vampire in fort McMurtry in haunted skyway to learn more. I wonder if this stuff will be used. I've been known to conjure up great stories. And about darkmoor's environment, would it be something like Marleybone, or would it be darker, more sinister and hoodooey? What if it was under control by the armada? Then hoodoo would be banned! A reason for the witch doctor teacher to leave! Yes! I hope KI considers my Ideas.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
I"m Back!!!

Now that the class houses have come out, they gave me the idea that the Haunted Grotto (the witchdoctor themed house) could be a glimpse into Darkmoor! I mean think about it: the landscape is marshy, the sky is perpetual night, and dark magic flows in the very caves themselves.
Of all the topics on the message boards, this is one of my favorites. My pirate is utterly Obsessed with this world and to this day remains as elusive as ever. Nevertheless, sooner of later this utterly facinating world will find the perfect time to reveal itself, my pirate will finally discover his family origins, and I will be the most powerful Obeah forever! MWAHAHAHAHH!!!

Okay maybe not the last part, but the other two are for sure.

Until we meet again'

Impish Omar Underwood
The Undead Obeah

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
I have a question. If darkmoor is to be made, will it be a world almost exactly like cool ranch's haunted skyway? Because that's what it sounds like the way some of you are describing it. I don't have a problem with that, but I just don't really want a repeat of that specific location again.

Ensign
Nov 15, 2010
The Undead Obeah, I like your ideas but I think the colony that would have been established there would probably be Polarian instead of Marleybonian. Louisiana was French territory until Napolien sold it to the United States.

It's not hard for me to see a place based on two different places in the real world. Polaris is clearly meant to be a mix of France and pre-Soviet Union Russia.

I would not be surprised to find out that the witchdoctor house is based on Darkmoor, or at least the swamps of Darkmoor. Not to mention I can see sister snake having a brother living deep in the waters of the bayous. (Named in some way after Zombi. And I can already hear Ratbeard confusing his name with "zombie.")

I would find it interesting to see a massive Gothic castle rising from the swamp. The moonlight and the glow stained glass windows reflecting off the dark waters surrounding.

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
So is this world post apocalyptic or a thriving civilization? I'm confused. And another question. Will darkmoor be like Celestia and krokotopia, full of dark curses and dangers unknown to the public until a couple of scientists come and release that unknown evil? Because that wouldn't be the first time a game would just repeat a story they already came up with, no matter how awesome it is. I don't want kingsisle to become that.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
I agree Spiral Emperor, I do not believe that Darkmoor would be much like the Haunted Skyway. I imagine it cleaner and more on the dark blue/black side of the spectrum.
If the Romanian element is thrown in, I would Imagine parts of it littered with high cliffs and mountains topped with the massive castles and fortresses that had once kept invaders at bay and now have become ruins and sometimes the residence of powerful practitioners, feared monsters, potent ghosts, and the wealthy and waring elite.
As for Marleybone, I hear that the Queen's Empire has a colony there. maybe it's New Orleans, maybe they have another city. Either way Marley has some influence there (though personally, I would like to see Polaris own Dear New Orleans).

Until my travels bring me back,

Impish Omar Underwood
The Undead Obeah

P.S. I truly enjoy your opinions as well Armorclad Coyote. Your ideas are fascinating and your desriptons are excellent. I hope to hear more of your interesting ideas.

Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
I still want to know if frogs originate from cool ranch or Marleybone. And the ducks from mooshu.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
Spiral emperor on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
I still want to know if frogs originate from cool ranch or Marleybone. And the ducks from mooshu.
Let me think, Toads came from Cool Ranch and frogs, well, I don't know for sure. Sa for ducks, Well Gese are in Mooshu and I thing that ducks came from "Back East" with the other birds.

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
Highlander Fox of ... on Jul 17, 2013 wrote:
OUR thread, remember? XD I promise I'm just teasing. Flaming threads are almost as awesome as flaming flowers. (I'm the only one who gets that.)

Woohoo! Thread combination of awesomesauciness!

Ciao!
Lol! New word!