Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Crossfire and Flanking

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 07, 2017
OK can someone please explain how to use Crossfire and Flanking. I got a battle angel companion who has flanking and a holly jolly rogers who has crossfire and I'm really confused to how to use those epic abilities.

Lieutenant
Mar 27, 2014
lets use a 3X3 box as a diagram for the explanation. 1 2 3 along the side and A B C along the bottom. your target is in B2. there is a / (depending on talent) in C2. if you or a companion of the same class with Crossfire/Flank are in A1 and you run up to A3 then you will briefly stop in A2 to make a sneak attack against the target in B2. this sneak attack can trigger other epics. i believe muskets can trigger Crossfire at a distance while melee have to be next to the target to trigger. Crossfire/Flank can also trigger if the target moves. say you are in B1 and a companion of same class is in B3. if an enemy runs into, even if passing, B2 then you and/or your companion with Crossfire/Flank will make a sneak attack on them. it doesn't have to be a straight across either. it can be A1 and C3 or A3 and C1 or even A2 and C2. long as the target is in B2 and both you and your ally form a straight line with each other and the target the epics will trigger. so A1, B2, and C2 will not work. Crossfire will only work if both you and your ally are ranged users while Flank only works if both you and ally are melee. the exception to this is Crossfire/Flank rank 5. in which case they trigger regardless of ally's class. you see summoned ninja pigs do it allot.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
These epics activate as elements move around the battleboard. Flanking activates when your battle angel is lined up with another melee ally and there is an enemy between. You can use this in your strategy, by moving your angel or other companions around enemies to align them for the trigger. Pets can also help trigger.

Crossfire works the same way, but for ranged companions/pets. your Roger would need to have an enemy sandwiched between him and another ranged ally. By moving your team into the correct positions, you would gain his extra shot at the enemy.

Petty Officer
Sep 15, 2018
Flanking is when you attack from the side, like if you had Fan Fladers, sorry if I spelled it wrong, then you can throw in an extra hit when attacking from the side, I have no idea what cross fire does, but I told you all I know about flanking, so have a great day.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
So you are making an enemy sandwich, with your guys as the bread. You can have your team be wheat bread, melee, for flanking, or your team can be rye bread, ranged, for crossfire. This thread has helped clear up some of this for me, specifically why sometimes it didn't work, even though the enemy was in the sandwich. It seems that we can't mix the rye with the wheat bread to make flanking and crossfire work.

Are there any exceptions where a crewman or pet is considered to be both melee AND ranged for these purposes? I was wondering about Bonnie Anne specifically, because she is ranged, however she can hit with her gun also, as a melee strike. If there are others, I'd like to know.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity Finch on Oct 14, 2018 wrote:
So you are making an enemy sandwich, with your guys as the bread. You can have your team be wheat bread, melee, for flanking, or your team can be rye bread, ranged, for crossfire. This thread has helped clear up some of this for me, specifically why sometimes it didn't work, even though the enemy was in the sandwich. It seems that we can't mix the rye with the wheat bread to make flanking and crossfire work.

Are there any exceptions where a crewman or pet is considered to be both melee AND ranged for these purposes? I was wondering about Bonnie Anne specifically, because she is ranged, however she can hit with her gun also, as a melee strike. If there are others, I'd like to know.
Bonnie Anne's strike doesn't trigger unless a melee enemy attacking her misses - it's not like any of her other talents. And her card attack can't be used as a crossfire position. Sorry, it has to be a sandwich on rye....