Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Confession Time - Pirate101 is the best!

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
After renewing my membership to Wizard101 and finally completing Azteca, I still find Pirate101 to be the best game KingsIsle has produced thus far.

Furthermore, after completing Xilbalba, I realized I enjoy being a pirate far more than I enjoy being a wizard.

I don't think KI realizes how special Pirate101 is, what a very unique game they have created. There isn't another game that combines a compelling story, with fantastic characters, crew management, ship battles and other game mechanics that are unlike any other mmo available.

I'm looking forward to new worlds in Pirate and desperately hope to hear more definitive news than "we're working on it" (some sneak peeks, concept art, leaks, rumors, please) really (really) soon.

There simply isn't (in my opinion) a better game available anywhere online than Pirate101.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
aaronlightwalker on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
After renewing my membership to Wizard101 and finally completing Azteca, I still find Pirate101 to be the best game KingsIsle has produced thus far.

Furthermore, after completing Xilbalba, I realized I enjoy being a pirate far more than I enjoy being a wizard.

I don't think KI realizes how special Pirate101 is, what a very unique game they have created. There isn't another game that combines a compelling story, with fantastic characters, crew management, ship battles and other game mechanics that are unlike any other mmo available.

I'm looking forward to new worlds in Pirate and desperately hope to hear more definitive news than "we're working on it" (some sneak peeks, concept art, leaks, rumors, please) really (really) soon.

There simply isn't (in my opinion) a better game available anywhere online than Pirate101.
A hearty "yar" and hope that a storyline update is heading our way very, very soon. I HATE Azteca, every boss now requires you to use a team-up or suffer ignominious defeat at the hands of a boss with 4x your health and a minion ( or three ) on par with your strength.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I played Wizard fairly extensively before Pirate was released, but soon after I started playing Pirate101 I realized I liked it much better than its predecessor. Part of it is personal preference - I like the combat mechanism of Pirate (basically, a miniatures skirmish game) better than that of Wizard (essentially a collectible card game). But as anecorbie notes, the further Wizard goes, the more it is impossible to play solo, which I see as a major flaw. I think a fundamental part of the problem is that the CCG approach allows for a lot less flexibility than the skirmish model. In Wizard, you have to keep playing cards until your opponents are down. Pirate allows variety (General Tso's Chicken is an excellent example).

Because Wizard makes higher-level boss fights more challenging by shoveling on more hit points and giving them seriously annoying cheats, many higher-level boss fights can take a verrrrry long time to complete. Again, Pirate does not have that problem.

As Pirate advocates, we do need to realize that the number of people playing Wizard101 is vastly larger than those who play Pirate101. For whatever reason, Pirate has not caught on to the same extent - possibly because both games attract the same type of player and people are so heavily invested in Wizard that they don't give Pirate a try.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:
I played Wizard fairly extensively before Pirate was released, but soon after I started playing Pirate101 I realized I liked it much better than its predecessor. Part of it is personal preference - I like the combat mechanism of Pirate (basically, a miniatures skirmish game) better than that of Wizard (essentially a collectible card game). But as anecorbie notes, the further Wizard goes, the more it is impossible to play solo, which I see as a major flaw. I think a fundamental part of the problem is that the CCG approach allows for a lot less flexibility than the skirmish model. In Wizard, you have to keep playing cards until your opponents are down. Pirate allows variety (General Tso's Chicken is an excellent example).

Because Wizard makes higher-level boss fights more challenging by shoveling on more hit points and giving them seriously annoying cheats, many higher-level boss fights can take a verrrrry long time to complete. Again, Pirate does not have that problem.

As Pirate advocates, we do need to realize that the number of people playing Wizard101 is vastly larger than those who play Pirate101. For whatever reason, Pirate has not caught on to the same extent - possibly because both games attract the same type of player and people are so heavily invested in Wizard that they don't give Pirate a try.
"Pirate has not caught on to the same extent"
On that note Indigo, I have been asking players I meet in team up if they have played Pirate101 and responses vary; some were completely unaware that there was another KI game, some had played the Beta and claimed it was "boring" and yet another said it was confusing.
I'm glad to see that during these 12 Days of the Spiral, that the claim item page shows both games, so maybe a few curious wizards may come to check us out.

Petty Officer
Feb 10, 2011
Indigo Ring on Dec 8, 2015 wrote:

When I've played Wizard101, many people choose to not even try Pirate101 based on friends "reviews", or spent 10 minutes in the game and said it was "too confusing" (which I find they usually mean too different than W101). Sadly, most W101 players never bothered to play or haven't returned since the first month of release.

I think we also have to remember the history of Pirate101 in the beginning, it was not the fantastic game when it first launched that is has become now. If you recall, P101 had a completely different companion management system to name but one significant shift.

I think Pirate could and does attract a different type of player that may not be hard-core Wizard101 fans. They need to expand their marketing outside of the KingsIsle faithful to players who never even heard of Wizard. Trying to get W101 players to switch or "double dip" on P101 is cannibalizing their own player base. They need players who come to P101 because P101 is a great game, NOT because they also play (or played) Wizard101.