Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Chief Gunner Rigby

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
Looks like Pirate101 has been hit with the 'voice acting change' bug. It's a shame, because the NPCs in Wizard101 who received voice changes had good voices in my opinion and were quite nostalgic. I'll miss Rigby's old voice. Tell me if you hear any other new voices!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
Angel Angle The Li... on May 2, 2018 wrote:
Looks like Pirate101 has been hit with the 'voice acting change' bug. It's a shame, because the NPCs in Wizard101 who received voice changes had good voices in my opinion and were quite nostalgic. I'll miss Rigby's old voice. Tell me if you hear any other new voices!
Same with Rigby! I really wish he was still the old Chief Gunner Rigby I knew...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Angel Angle The Li... on May 2, 2018 wrote:
Maybe we'll be talking to Chief Gunner Rigby again and because the original voice actor wasn't available, KI used another actor to avoid a difference in voices?
I wish Marla Stinger's voice had been changed in W101 - she has the worst voice I ever heard! I like Gretta Darkkettle's new voice, the old one was too "Wicked Witch of the West" and Penny Dreadful's new voice is nicer.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
Marla Stinger sounds obnoxious. Although i wish they never changed the friendly voice of Private Connelly i'll never see him the same way again.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I think I may know why the voice was changed; KI DID change part of the narration for Rigby.
He used to say "She went across to teach the savages a lesson." this has been changed to "She went across to teach the troggies a lesson."
This was brought about by a post pointing out that the word "savage" has a racial overtone. Now, all that needs to be changed is the text to fit the narration.
I applaud KI for taking this brave step!

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on May 20, 2018 wrote:
I think I may know why the voice was changed; KI DID change part of the narration for Rigby.
He used to say "She went across to teach the savages a lesson." this has been changed to "She went across to teach the troggies a lesson."
This was brought about by a post pointing out that the word "savage" has a racial overtone. Now, all that needs to be changed is the text to fit the narration.
I caught that... I wish he would have stayed with that, honestly... But that's just my opinion.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on May 20, 2018 wrote:
Do you know when this change occurred? I know Blind Mew said it would occur but Kingsisle didn't announce it if it already happened.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 22, 2018 wrote:
Do you know when this change occurred? I know Blind Mew said it would occur but Kingsisle didn't announce it if it already happened.
I'm not sure when this occurred, it must be fairly recent as the text hasn't been changed.
Also, you'll be glad to know that the Gold Mine quest string with Haku now tells you that he was under the influence of the Aztecosaur mummy and he thanks us for freeing him. Well done, Blind Mew and I hope the txt will be added soon!

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on May 22, 2018 wrote:
I'm not sure when this occurred, it must be fairly recent as the text hasn't been changed.
Also, you'll be glad to know that the Gold Mine quest string with Haku now tells you that he was under the influence of the Aztecosaur mummy and he thanks us for freeing him. Well done, Blind Mew and I hope the txt will be added soon!
My guess is this change occurred during 1 of the 2 latest overnight maintenance periods Kingsisle has scheduled. I wish One-Eyed Jack / Tom could tell us exactly which one. My guess is the text change will occur in the next update. The new dialog was probably as easy as overriding and replacing the sound file but the new text would require something to be modified that is displayed on the screen, and I am guessing that is harder to code.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on May 23, 2018 wrote:
My guess is this change occurred during 1 of the 2 latest overnight maintenance periods Kingsisle has scheduled. I wish One-Eyed Jack / Tom could tell us exactly which one. My guess is the text change will occur in the next update. The new dialog was probably as easy as overriding and replacing the sound file but the new text would require something to be modified that is displayed on the screen, and I am guessing that is harder to code.
Changing the text may not be harder, but certainly time consuming, I don't envy that person's job!