Bat Masterson, I've got to say this...

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1994
The newest update has been very Amazing! I really like how Skeleton Keys were brought to Pirate101, and have been enjoying them! They're very tough to tackle, but I like it. With the next round planned, I hope you keep making more at a regular pace! I also liked Old Scratch's newest promotion quest. Way shorter than most, but I now understand that they don't have to be very lengthy and complex like few have. Maybe this'll be a bit of a change to how they're going to be made in the later quests to come, and how they should turn out without making them way too long. The member benefits are very neat, they'll bring some people back to enjoy them when they're active. The new space increasing elixirs really help out with our needs for more space, even Bank space. Thanks!

Now, many are still expecting other most-wanted features to come to P101, such as crafting, real PvP & ship PvP, & so on, but some are really starting to lost patience when they get their hopes up a bit too high, even anecorbie, and it's still concerning about P101's state. I really ask that there should be some more small updates to keep them playing it before these features really come to P101. Something, anything, long as they keep giving them more to do while they wait. I don't know about having another story update, since we've yet to know how the story will keep going, let alone have hints on it, but I hope whatever plans you've got are going to be settled sometime soon. We still need to keep sailing the Skyways.

Bat Masterson, I really hope everything works out, but I'll still keep playing P101, no matter what!

Again, my thanks in bringing the latest update to P101, even if it's still a small one!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9077
Trimond297 on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
The newest update has been very Amazing! I really like how Skeleton Keys were brought to Pirate101, and have been enjoying them! They're very tough to tackle, but I like it. With the next round planned, I hope you keep making more at a regular pace! I also liked Old Scratch's newest promotion quest. Way shorter than most, but I now understand that they don't have to be very lengthy and complex like few have. Maybe this'll be a bit of a change to how they're going to be made in the later quests to come, and how they should turn out without making them way too long. The member benefits are very neat, they'll bring some people back to enjoy them when they're active. The new space increasing elixirs really help out with our needs for more space, even Bank space. Thanks!

Now, many are still expecting other most-wanted features to come to P101, such as crafting, real PvP & ship PvP, & so on, but some are really starting to lost patience when they get their hopes up a bit too high, even anecorbie, and it's still concerning about P101's state. I really ask that there should be some more small updates to keep them playing it before these features really come to P101. Something, anything, long as they keep giving them more to do while they wait. I don't know about having another story update, since we've yet to know how the story will keep going, let alone have hints on it, but I hope whatever plans you've got are going to be settled sometime soon. We still need to keep sailing the Skyways.

Bat Masterson, I really hope everything works out, but I'll still keep playing P101, no matter what!

Again, my thanks in bringing the latest update to P101, even if it's still a small one!
Nooooo This up-date sucks bilge water!!!! First by making Old Scratch's promotion depend on defeating Nightmare Old Scratch.
1. In other promotion quests, the enemies we face are at the same level as the one being promoted. This isn't happening here. NM Old Scratch is level 80 and his support are level 78. This much too difficult for most players and can't be soloed unless you hire henchmen.
2. There is no ability to team-up for this quest, players will need to get help and there's no way to get it.
Skeleton Key bosses are fine, I grant there are players that like to farm and fight challenging instances, but why make a companion's promotion hinge on defeating the first boss? I'd rather that Vadima sent us find an Obsidian key, fight the key guardian ( with level appropriate enemies ), get the key, return to Vadima, THEN promote Old Scratch.
That way we can decide if we want to do the SIDE QUEST of defeating the Nightmare version, without a crucial companion forgoing a necessary promotion.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
247
anecorbie on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Nooooo This up-date sucks bilge water!!!! First by making Old Scratch's promotion depend on defeating Nightmare Old Scratch.
1. In other promotion quests, the enemies we face are at the same level as the one being promoted. This isn't happening here. NM Old Scratch is level 80 and his support are level 78. This much too difficult for most players and can't be soloed unless you hire henchmen.
2. There is no ability to team-up for this quest, players will need to get help and there's no way to get it.
Skeleton Key bosses are fine, I grant there are players that like to farm and fight challenging instances, but why make a companion's promotion hinge on defeating the first boss? I'd rather that Vadima sent us find an Obsidian key, fight the key guardian ( with level appropriate enemies ), get the key, return to Vadima, THEN promote Old Scratch.
That way we can decide if we want to do the SIDE QUEST of defeating the Nightmare version, without a crucial companion forgoing a necessary promotion.
Uhh, what? I easily found a group of 4 to do scratch (then soloed for fun) and
He dies turn 2 usually with a competent team, if you have witch hunter and port near him, he's done. Even solo, you just need witch hunter and it's a done deal, the battle is a joke after he goes anyway

Ensign
Jul 14, 2015
4
anecorbie on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Nooooo This up-date sucks bilge water!!!! First by making Old Scratch's promotion depend on defeating Nightmare Old Scratch.
1. In other promotion quests, the enemies we face are at the same level as the one being promoted. This isn't happening here. NM Old Scratch is level 80 and his support are level 78. This much too difficult for most players and can't be soloed unless you hire henchmen.
2. There is no ability to team-up for this quest, players will need to get help and there's no way to get it.
Skeleton Key bosses are fine, I grant there are players that like to farm and fight challenging instances, but why make a companion's promotion hinge on defeating the first boss? I'd rather that Vadima sent us find an Obsidian key, fight the key guardian ( with level appropriate enemies ), get the key, return to Vadima, THEN promote Old Scratch.
That way we can decide if we want to do the SIDE QUEST of defeating the Nightmare version, without a crucial companion forgoing a necessary promotion.
Okay okay, where should I start? Bat Masterson, this update is amazing! There is new content yet again on Pirate101 and it's great to see the community booming again. It has occurred to me that some people do now appreciate what you have done...

1. Old Scratch's promotion is great in my opinion. It maybe difficult for some pirates, but is come with great rewards. First is the fact that you can give Scratch another epic ability. Second is that Jobu's breathe is FINALLY jobu's kiss. Third would be the added purge power. And last of all, the freakishly Over Powered DOOM Mojo! My other problem with this is that there is no telling what this Doom Mojo can do for us. Either it doesn't do damage or it nukes a unit at an instant.

2. The skeleton key bosses are finally here and it's time for us Pirates to come together and loot these beasties! Not only does it provide a challenge to those pirates who enjoy it, it also make us learn to be better players. Challenges are meant to teach others, meaning that you cannot just fight every combat the exact same. Just like Wizard101, there will be tough bosses, but that just makes you open up your mind.

If help is still needed, there are already great strategies on defeating him online, plus, ask a friend.

Anecorbie, the fact that you say "this up-date sucks" is in your opinion. First off, all of us are GLAD that we even got another update. Sure, if you aren't pleased with the content on Pirates, go back to playing Wizards. Here's the thing, the Old Scratch promotion is optional, so you don't even have to do it. No need to break your Scratch even more. And the fact that Ki made the Boss fight multiplayer means that they understand that the these fights are difficult. They don't need you to tell them that! The Old Scratch promotion is a great lead up into introducing the skeleton key bosses. So if you are so displeased with the new content that Ki has presented us with, just leave.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
139
anecorbie on Sep 13, 2018 wrote:
Nooooo This up-date sucks bilge water!!!! First by making Old Scratch's promotion depend on defeating Nightmare Old Scratch.
1. In other promotion quests, the enemies we face are at the same level as the one being promoted. This isn't happening here. NM Old Scratch is level 80 and his support are level 78. This much too difficult for most players and can't be soloed unless you hire henchmen.
2. There is no ability to team-up for this quest, players will need to get help and there's no way to get it.
Skeleton Key bosses are fine, I grant there are players that like to farm and fight challenging instances, but why make a companion's promotion hinge on defeating the first boss? I'd rather that Vadima sent us find an Obsidian key, fight the key guardian ( with level appropriate enemies ), get the key, return to Vadima, THEN promote Old Scratch.
That way we can decide if we want to do the SIDE QUEST of defeating the Nightmare version, without a crucial companion forgoing a necessary promotion.
Most EXPERIENCED players, which will be the majority of maxed pirates, can simply get a group of 4 and cheese the boss using stuff like scratch boosted mojo storms and blood flames and all that jazz.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1624
I am enjoying this update. I love the quest finder, because even though I thought I had done all of the side quests, I was wrong. Item locking has been requested ever since Wizards could do it. The nightmare dungeons are going to be something I save for now and again. Others seem to be farming them relentlessly to be the first to get the new gear, and I'm afraid those players will suck the dungeons dry and get bored again quickly. If the Hydra is finally fixed, that would be an awesome achievement.

However, I think it was suprisingly rushed. There could have been some excitement that the Test Realm was opening rather than a quiet little tweet, and I got a sense of haphazardness about what was included in the update. It went Live very quietly, too, and caught us all pretty much by surprise, since none of the issues brought up during Test Realm appeared to have been addressed. The Update Notes weren't even changed from Test Realm to Live, just posted as-was. It still feels like Wizard101 gets all-day and Pirate101 gets the last 5 minutes on Friday before everyone goes home for the weekend.

This update makes me happy, the handling of Pirate101 on the whole? That's what makes me sad.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9077
Angel Angle The Li... on Sep 14, 2018 wrote:
Most EXPERIENCED players, which will be the majority of maxed pirates, can simply get a group of 4 and cheese the boss using stuff like scratch boosted mojo storms and blood flames and all that jazz.
I have the right to complain about this so called "up-date". I am an EXPERIENCED player with excellent gear. Only Privateers and Witchdoctors get that boost to blood flames, it really doesn't do anything for me. Finding a group going into fight Old Scratch is difficult and getting harder as the players prefer to farm the other SK bosses.
When I was doing that promo, I only found one other player also doing the promo; the others hanging around that door were farming Captain Blood.
When the "shiny" is off this new toy and you see the sub-par gear being given, then you may realize that this up-date is a stop-gap measure.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1311
Ahem, I think you will find Anecorbie is an experienced player, Angel Angle.

It is not immediately obvious that you can gang up on Nightmare Old Scratch - indeed it is logical to assume you can't as you generally cannot team up for promotion quests. But if multiple pirates team up and one uses the Ebony key on NMOS's door, the others can run it (although I generally bounce off the door a few times before it lets me in).

-Indigo

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
403
DeDuncanStuff on Sep 14, 2018 wrote:
Okay okay, where should I start? Bat Masterson, this update is amazing! There is new content yet again on Pirate101 and it's great to see the community booming again. It has occurred to me that some people do now appreciate what you have done...

1. Old Scratch's promotion is great in my opinion. It maybe difficult for some pirates, but is come with great rewards. First is the fact that you can give Scratch another epic ability. Second is that Jobu's breathe is FINALLY jobu's kiss. Third would be the added purge power. And last of all, the freakishly Over Powered DOOM Mojo! My other problem with this is that there is no telling what this Doom Mojo can do for us. Either it doesn't do damage or it nukes a unit at an instant.

2. The skeleton key bosses are finally here and it's time for us Pirates to come together and loot these beasties! Not only does it provide a challenge to those pirates who enjoy it, it also make us learn to be better players. Challenges are meant to teach others, meaning that you cannot just fight every combat the exact same. Just like Wizard101, there will be tough bosses, but that just makes you open up your mind.

If help is still needed, there are already great strategies on defeating him online, plus, ask a friend.

Anecorbie, the fact that you say "this up-date sucks" is in your opinion. First off, all of us are GLAD that we even got another update. Sure, if you aren't pleased with the content on Pirates, go back to playing Wizards. Here's the thing, the Old Scratch promotion is optional, so you don't even have to do it. No need to break your Scratch even more. And the fact that Ki made the Boss fight multiplayer means that they understand that the these fights are difficult. They don't need you to tell them that! The Old Scratch promotion is a great lead up into introducing the skeleton key bosses. So if you are so displeased with the new content that Ki has presented us with, just leave.
DeDuncanStuff,

That is the problem with Pirate101 right now.....the players are taking your advice and leaving (which is leaving less and less updates as a result).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9077
DeDuncanStuff on Sep 14, 2018 wrote:
Okay okay, where should I start? Bat Masterson, this update is amazing! There is new content yet again on Pirate101 and it's great to see the community booming again. It has occurred to me that some people do now appreciate what you have done...

1. Old Scratch's promotion is great in my opinion. It maybe difficult for some pirates, but is come with great rewards. First is the fact that you can give Scratch another epic ability. Second is that Jobu's breathe is FINALLY jobu's kiss. Third would be the added purge power. And last of all, the freakishly Over Powered DOOM Mojo! My other problem with this is that there is no telling what this Doom Mojo can do for us. Either it doesn't do damage or it nukes a unit at an instant.

2. The skeleton key bosses are finally here and it's time for us Pirates to come together and loot these beasties! Not only does it provide a challenge to those pirates who enjoy it, it also make us learn to be better players. Challenges are meant to teach others, meaning that you cannot just fight every combat the exact same. Just like Wizard101, there will be tough bosses, but that just makes you open up your mind.

If help is still needed, there are already great strategies on defeating him online, plus, ask a friend.

Anecorbie, the fact that you say "this up-date sucks" is in your opinion. First off, all of us are GLAD that we even got another update. Sure, if you aren't pleased with the content on Pirates, go back to playing Wizards. Here's the thing, the Old Scratch promotion is optional, so you don't even have to do it. No need to break your Scratch even more. And the fact that Ki made the Boss fight multiplayer means that they understand that the these fights are difficult. They don't need you to tell them that! The Old Scratch promotion is a great lead up into introducing the skeleton key bosses. So if you are so displeased with the new content that Ki has presented us with, just leave.
Saying this up-date is "amazing" is also an opinion....

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9077
DeDuncanStuff on Sep 14, 2018 wrote:
Okay okay, where should I start? Bat Masterson, this update is amazing! There is new content yet again on Pirate101 and it's great to see the community booming again. It has occurred to me that some people do now appreciate what you have done...

1. Old Scratch's promotion is great in my opinion. It maybe difficult for some pirates, but is come with great rewards. First is the fact that you can give Scratch another epic ability. Second is that Jobu's breathe is FINALLY jobu's kiss. Third would be the added purge power. And last of all, the freakishly Over Powered DOOM Mojo! My other problem with this is that there is no telling what this Doom Mojo can do for us. Either it doesn't do damage or it nukes a unit at an instant.

2. The skeleton key bosses are finally here and it's time for us Pirates to come together and loot these beasties! Not only does it provide a challenge to those pirates who enjoy it, it also make us learn to be better players. Challenges are meant to teach others, meaning that you cannot just fight every combat the exact same. Just like Wizard101, there will be tough bosses, but that just makes you open up your mind.

If help is still needed, there are already great strategies on defeating him online, plus, ask a friend.

Anecorbie, the fact that you say "this up-date sucks" is in your opinion. First off, all of us are GLAD that we even got another update. Sure, if you aren't pleased with the content on Pirates, go back to playing Wizards. Here's the thing, the Old Scratch promotion is optional, so you don't even have to do it. No need to break your Scratch even more. And the fact that Ki made the Boss fight multiplayer means that they understand that the these fights are difficult. They don't need you to tell them that! The Old Scratch promotion is a great lead up into introducing the skeleton key bosses. So if you are so displeased with the new content that Ki has presented us with, just leave.
For me, Promoting companions isn't "optional" - it's a necessary part of Pirate101, those who choose to ignore quest-line companion promotions always pay for it in the end.
And, in case you or ( others ) are thinking I'm complaining for myself, that I've failed this promotion quest - think again. I've successfully completed through all 6 of my pirates on my main account. I'm concerned for those less well geared, perhaps less experienced players who are facing this quest - alone.

Yes, I'll go play Wizard101, since KI has given me no reason to continue playing P101. I'll quest, and Garden, Fish & Craft, this game gives me the "play value" that I want!

Ensign
Jul 14, 2015
4
Oran from Urz on Sep 15, 2018 wrote:
DeDuncanStuff,

That is the problem with Pirate101 right now.....the players are taking your advice and leaving (which is leaving less and less updates as a result).
Understood.

But I cannot really think of other ways to 'help' boost the Pirate101 players' moral. The only think we can do is hope but look where that has gotten us...

On the bright side, if Kingsisle keeps updating Pirates, returning players and new Pirate players will enjoy the game more. Sadly, the staff won't listen to the Pirate community's advice. Not to blame the staff, just the game has so much potential, some people don't see it.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
139
Indigo Ring on Sep 15, 2018 wrote:
Ahem, I think you will find Anecorbie is an experienced player, Angel Angle.

It is not immediately obvious that you can gang up on Nightmare Old Scratch - indeed it is logical to assume you can't as you generally cannot team up for promotion quests. But if multiple pirates team up and one uses the Ebony key on NMOS's door, the others can run it (although I generally bounce off the door a few times before it lets me in).

-Indigo
Alright, maybe i was being a bit brash there, but you must admit, nobody's going to go into this alone. Anyone with an idea of what Skeleton Key bosses are like in Wizard101 would know these aren't something you want to do by yourself. And if they do die on the dungeon, they could easily pick themselves up and revive their companions due to the copius amounts of gold they'll likely have (or there could be member benefits active) and go do the dungeon with three other pirates. We ain't talking about Level 10 pirates here, mateys.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
403
DeDuncanStuff on Sep 17, 2018 wrote:
Understood.

But I cannot really think of other ways to 'help' boost the Pirate101 players' moral. The only think we can do is hope but look where that has gotten us...

On the bright side, if Kingsisle keeps updating Pirates, returning players and new Pirate players will enjoy the game more. Sadly, the staff won't listen to the Pirate community's advice. Not to blame the staff, just the game has so much potential, some people don't see it.
These updates are always good, even if a little lackluster in execution (something better than nothing). Clearly, the forums are busy with more postings, Youtube is heavily covering the update giving more exposure to potential players....Pirate101 has clearly seen a small boost in player activity.

Brand new players will always have hours of content to enjoy (they are starting from scratch). However, it is the level 70 pirates I have concern for. They have already demonstrated investment and commitment in this game, but KI is not "feeding the beast". Players are paying the same as Wizard101 membership and are not getting the same content updates....which is resulting is less total players paying for membership.

PvP, a historic endgame content, is currently being avoided with the Old Scratch issue (unless you are a Mojo class) and the Skeleton Key loot table is not convincing most players to farm it. (ref. backpack full of level 25 items off of level 80 enemies).

Pirate101 needs a reason for returning players to invest more money into and right now. PvP and the Skeleton Key bosses are not offering that.

...still waiting on member benefits to show up.....

I think a lot of the players grasp the potential of this game (and love it), hence the frustrations being posted on the forums.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1994
Oran from Urz on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
These updates are always good, even if a little lackluster in execution (something better than nothing). Clearly, the forums are busy with more postings, Youtube is heavily covering the update giving more exposure to potential players....Pirate101 has clearly seen a small boost in player activity.

Brand new players will always have hours of content to enjoy (they are starting from scratch). However, it is the level 70 pirates I have concern for. They have already demonstrated investment and commitment in this game, but KI is not "feeding the beast". Players are paying the same as Wizard101 membership and are not getting the same content updates....which is resulting is less total players paying for membership.

PvP, a historic endgame content, is currently being avoided with the Old Scratch issue (unless you are a Mojo class) and the Skeleton Key loot table is not convincing most players to farm it. (ref. backpack full of level 25 items off of level 80 enemies).

Pirate101 needs a reason for returning players to invest more money into and right now. PvP and the Skeleton Key bosses are not offering that.

...still waiting on member benefits to show up.....

I think a lot of the players grasp the potential of this game (and love it), hence the frustrations being posted on the forums.
The 1st of said benefits have appeared, and it's the free Miracle Mitch heals. Anyone wanting those free heals should get 'em while they last.

Though, yeah, P101 still needs something to keep returning players to continue playing the game, even if Skeleton Key bosses, while still very neat, may last a short time, though new bosses may keep it going.

New bundles, that's one thing. The other wanted updates, that's gonna take time.