Advanced Companions thoughts

1
AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
Hooooo, boy! Pirate101 is starting to get difficult! Ladies and Gentlemen, a new MASSIVE amount of strategy is being implemented, and this update will put your skills to the test! Please post your thoughts on this EPIC development!

Lieutenant
Jan 19, 2014
177
I like the new punishment system for wounded allies. If a Mojo potion (speculation) or a Life Foundation can't bail them out easily, you will take extra measures of keeping them alive.

Now, I wonder what is the cost of healing companions immediately. Also, I hope I don't have to go the medic all the time after a PvP battle. That would be tedious.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5736
Yes, I saw that. This will make for some interesting strategy, a more "real" experience in companion training.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
I think it's going to be great. Instead of having this huge crew that sits around and does nothing unless I recruit them for a story or two, Now they can be doing jobs and earning stuff for the team when they are not fighting. I love it that we now know for certain who our crew will be. No more "Oh No's" when the wrong type shows up, like a witchdoctor showing up in a fight with those with witch hunter. AND the fact that the hardest battlers can get hurt and need healing time, it will solve the problem of always having the same ole crew and nothing new to see in fights. As those need rest, other warriors can step in and take over and I may find some real gems that otherwise may not have shone so brightly before. Yea, its' gonna be more complicated and I will have to get used to it, but think about it.......Companions are gonna get training tomes for us and get us extra gold to help in the buying of them. I think this is a great example of a company that cares so much what the customer wants that they are not afraid to totally mix things up to suit the needs of the player.

I know a lot of kinks will get worked out in Test Realm and I DO hope all those that are whining on Facebook will get into the Test Realm and try it out and THEN speak their minds. Don't judge it now guys. Give it a try first. Thinks are not written into stone yet. I have serious reservations about the whole concept of fighting pets but I am going to reserve my judgement until I see just what they mean. Besides, I am hoping that such fights will only be optional and will never be required of anyone who just has a distaste for such a thing. We shall see. The Test Realm will show us what they have planned for us. Let's check it out, once it's open and then let us share our hearts.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
warriorscreed on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Hooooo, boy! Pirate101 is starting to get difficult! Ladies and Gentlemen, a new MASSIVE amount of strategy is being implemented, and this update will put your skills to the test! Please post your thoughts on this EPIC development!
I do have mixed thoughts on it

On one hand the Advance Pets will make them much stronger and not "worthless" as some pirates say they are.

On the other hand, we need to do quests for them >.< and they won't improve without said quests. (They won't auto level up/down)

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
222
But I love the life fountain's support.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
I believe I like how Companions are going to be more useful in the game, along with new class exclusive Companions with it, too. Sure, some of you may not like the system changes at first, but when it gets to the live game, a lot of us are going to have to get used to this, for like many new things, it takes time to adapt to our new ways of how we manage our Companions. All it takes is time to comply and adapt to what they've given us, and in time, we'll be able to like it, too.

One-Eyed Jack, if you can answer this question, please do. If Advanced Companions are arriving to the game, do we get to finally let our Companions run free in player housing, too? I was expecting for that to happen along with it, as that was one of our most requested features to happen. Thanks for answering!

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1190
As to the peek at 'Advanced Companions' -- WOW! Or perhaps better, to quote Junie B. Jones: "Wowie, wow, wow!!" The Pirate101 developers and staff have listened to all those hopes and dreams of their players, players wanting companions to have adventures on their own, players wanting to explore more of the imaginary lives of their companions -- things that seemed really quite impractical or far too difficult to manage.

But manage, they did. And I am amazed. Mind you, I was perfectly happy before with things as they were, but now, I can see a whole new exploration of play in my favorite game, nonlinear play that can weave in and out of the storyline. And I am looking forward to more deeply enjoying all my companions (and I loved them all), old and new. Fran Flanders, rogue and thief, eh? Perhaps her mom's name was Moll? Or she has an uncle Defoe? And Peter Quint... I can't help but think of Peter Quince, one of the rag-tag rude mechanicals who attempt to put on a play in A Midsummer's Night's Dream...

I doubt game play will now be too complex for young ones. Those who wish will probably be able to stay on certain tracks that make them comfortable, while others try more adventurous routes. I think kids are generally clever enough to figure things out on their own, especially with the good clear instructions given in this game, and it is not a terrible thing to ask mom & dad for help (this is a Family game, after all).

In short, the Advanced Companions update sounds terrific. Color me impressed!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
583
this be interesting, advanced companions yet again "brilliant".

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5736
I just realized "Miracle Mike" ? Will he say" your companion is only mostly dead?" I love The Princess Bride!

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
160
Holy snapper doodles! I just read about the Advanced Companions. OH MY GOSH it is the most amazing thing that I have ever heard of! Now Nurse Quinn actually has some use. >.> (As well as the Crazy Monquistan Crossbowman, and the Crab Hermit, and the Monquistador, and Tricky Vinny, and all of the other really bad companions...)

THANK YOU KingsIsle!

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
111
Hey

I know that with advanced companions life fountains won't heal them. But, will mojo potions not heal companions either? Not really a big deal if they don't because I am just curious.

Thanks

Noble Ryan Thompson

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
Sounds really fun :D
I am absolutely adoring the little info that surrounds the newer companions and love the fact that we get them VERY early. Especially since Musketeers and Privateers will be getting some new female companions. Also a thief frog for swashbucklers should be nice.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
273
Yay now I can send nurse quinn om quests so she won't be compleatly useless!!!

Community Leader
I will give it a shot, but I do not like what I have read so far.

From my perspective, we wanted easier companion management, and this makes it anything but easier.

Looking forward to seeing the future on test

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
Dr Zeppers on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
I will give it a shot, but I do not like what I have read so far.

From my perspective, we wanted easier companion management, and this makes it anything but easier.

Looking forward to seeing the future on test
Agreed. Although this system will be a little more enjoyable for those who like a challenge, for those who are struggling with the strategy of this game will find it more than a burden than it already is for them.

Imagine children who have no parents playing for them, imagine your good friends who try very hard but still struggle. Should this feature happen to them, and make the game unnecassarily diffucult? I have liked everything I have read, except the fact that our companions will sort of go on emergency hospital mode when a little wound appears. We are pirates, we fight even when we are bleeding! We are pirates, we are proud of our scurvy scars and wounds!

I do not fully enjoy the idea of this concept of bed rest, even though there is an immediate solution at Miracle Mitch (should be ~Miracle Mithrandir's Magical Medicines INC[and fabulous fireworks]~ but oh well, Miracle Mitch is fine ), for what seems to be an "expensive" fee.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
220
has anyone ever heard "dont judge a book by its cover?" well this could be one of those actions...explaining everything in detail is (like the post) long, boring, and confusing...but when you actually start to use the advanced pet/companion system, it may actually be easier than you thought it was...

p.s. or at least i hope, it is

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
Take a look on MMORPG.com. They did a review post on Advanced Companions. At the bottom of the post is a list of special companions each class will get. Each class will get 1 special companion. What makes these companions so UNIQUE is the fact that they will NOT be reproduced in the crowns shop. I won't spoil the surprise, so head on over and take a look!

Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
57
I'm not liking it so much so far its confusing and I don't think littler kids will understand it. Why are they fixing something that isn't broken? The current one is the best one and it is less confusing and better for pvp. But I will try to have a open mind...

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
71
Dr Zeppers on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
I will give it a shot, but I do not like what I have read so far.

From my perspective, we wanted easier companion management, and this makes it anything but easier.

Looking forward to seeing the future on test
Giving us the option to FINALLY have a 100% chance to have who we WANT to appear in battle sounds much easier to me, than having random, under levels pop up. Thats the only reason why I ever lose a fight in this game. Its not hard at all, it just hard to people who dont understand it.

KI, you have my 100% backing for this update, from the wounding straight up. I always wanted a bit of realism!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
anecorbie on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I just realized "Miracle Mike" ? Will he say" your companion is only mostly dead?" I love The Princess Bride!
LOL Yea I was waiting for that line too. Just like was not one bit surprised when Krokogator Dundee and Ratbeard said "That's not a knife" I just knew it was coming and it didn't dampen the joke one bit when it was delivered.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
Lots of changes coming. They all sound good to me. For those worried about it becoming more complicated, hard to know: sometimes things seem complicated when you read an explanation, but once you see how it work it isn't bad at all. I will withhold judgement, but my guess it will be a bit more complicated, but not unwieldy.

Personally, it all seems positive to me. I like having more control over who shows up for a fight, and making more strategic decisions (I need el Toro [insert fanfare] for the next fight - so I am going to bench him for this one lest he is wounded]. I like the idea that companions rarely used for a fight can be sent off doing other things.

The companions are one of my favorite parts of this game, and it is the component that most strongly differentiates Pirate101 from Wizard101. Making the companions more useful and more dependable = win/win.

-Indigo

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
409
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
I think it's going to be great. Instead of having this huge crew that sits around and does nothing unless I recruit them for a story or two, Now they can be doing jobs and earning stuff for the team when they are not fighting. I love it that we now know for certain who our crew will be. No more "Oh No's" when the wrong type shows up, like a witchdoctor showing up in a fight with those with witch hunter. AND the fact that the hardest battlers can get hurt and need healing time, it will solve the problem of always having the same ole crew and nothing new to see in fights. As those need rest, other warriors can step in and take over and I may find some real gems that otherwise may not have shone so brightly before. Yea, its' gonna be more complicated and I will have to get used to it, but think about it.......Companions are gonna get training tomes for us and get us extra gold to help in the buying of them. I think this is a great example of a company that cares so much what the customer wants that they are not afraid to totally mix things up to suit the needs of the player.

I know a lot of kinks will get worked out in Test Realm and I DO hope all those that are whining on Facebook will get into the Test Realm and try it out and THEN speak their minds. Don't judge it now guys. Give it a try first. Thinks are not written into stone yet. I have serious reservations about the whole concept of fighting pets but I am going to reserve my judgement until I see just what they mean. Besides, I am hoping that such fights will only be optional and will never be required of anyone who just has a distaste for such a thing. We shall see. The Test Realm will show us what they have planned for us. Let's check it out, once it's open and then let us share our hearts.
Test Realm is opening soon? I'm going to have a use for all the pets I have lying around?

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2010
64
What I really liked about P101 was the random companions each fight, it made each battle more interesting. I do not like the idea of having set companions, one was ok (as it is now), but by having to pick the top four each time is going to (at least for me) take away a lot of enjoyment in the game. There are already a lot of companions that we place down in the order and very rarely see in action, ones that we don't want in every battle but are nice to see once in a while. This new systems will mean this companions now will never be used in a battle (for the majority of players who won't want to swap the order around every battle).

I think a better idea would be to have a "Senior Companion" queue, where you place (say up to six companions) and each battle two are picked from that queue and the rest from all the other companions (as it is now). This would allow you to have a couple of more powerful companions while at the same time giving you the chance to see the more unused ones.

Petty Officer
Mar 15, 2013
57
Maybe we could toggle advanced companion mode?

1