Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witchdoctor's Woes

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 23, 2015
High will is likely to score critical hits to enemies with low will. (Quote)
While I am certain most Privateers and certain companions have high will the majority of other classes do not unless specifically geared for. Therefore critical hits should be high against low willed opponents, it is not. In fact, out of many PVP matches against Buccaneers and Swashbucklers there are so few criticals. While they seem to get them most often because of my low agility and strength. This is not fair. In fact, out of 50 or so battles I have only scored one super critical against any opponent (companion) with a mournsong and two or three Epics or Mega with any spell. In all cases I have yet to score a super critical mojo blade period during PVP play. Damage output does not have an equal ratio between classes.

Direct weapon (spell) attack, mojo echo, etc has a very little damage increase from normal through super critical. In fact damage a test showed white hits only increased a mere 3 points while the increase from spell attacks such as mojo storm, mournsong, etc increase in damage as expected. I am at a loss here.

Most staffs and wands have a standard 3 attack range. Even the Nefarious staff only has 3. Obtaining a 5 or 6 range weapon of lower level greatly reduces the attack power of the weapon. While spell power and will are at maximum levels does weapon power have any purpose for us? Please add more staff or wand ranged weapons in the higher drop zones.

Nefarious staff scorpions versus Terracota warriors. No comparison. For full damage potential owner must have the Beast Banner. Without it scorpions are pretty much useless and can be easily killed. Having Beast Banner takes an additional turn to cast and can be destroyed.causing remaining to scorpions to turn on owner for one round. Terracotta warriors have charge and go directly to the closest opponent and do a fair amount of damage. Scorpions under banner seem to be sufficient but cannot stand up against Terracotta.

Our little hoplite skeletons? Please. They cant even destroy a singe barrel in one hit. Do I need to go on.

Pet AI is horrible and moves away from hidden targets if their is nothing else to attack, ie barrels which puts them out of combat for many rounds. Pets or summoned minions should move toward an enemy not away even if hidden. If they must make a move the direction should be toward their owner and not away on the other side of the board out of effective range.

Very big gripe. Riposte does not trigger when a fired weapon misses or is dodged. Is this intentional? Being that not all class weapons are equal riposte should trigger if a fired shot is dodged. So many potential attacks easily circumvented by this.

I am running out of room but have so many flaws to point out that could make PVP better for all classes but I will leave it there for now. Until next time. Devs please investigate I am not just making things up or complaining.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mike888b on Aug 14, 2015 wrote:
While I am certain most Privateers and certain companions have high will the majority of other classes do not unless specifically geared for. Therefore critical hits should be high against low willed opponents, it is not. In fact, out of many PVP matches against Buccaneers and Swashbucklers there are so few criticals. While they seem to get them most often because of my low agility and strength. This is not fair. In fact, out of 50 or so battles I have only scored one super critical against any opponent (companion) with a mournsong and two or three Epics or Mega with any spell. In all cases I have yet to score a super critical mojo blade period during PVP play. Damage output does not have an equal ratio between classes.

Direct weapon (spell) attack, mojo echo, etc has a very little damage increase from normal through super critical. In fact damage a test showed white hits only increased a mere 3 points while the increase from spell attacks such as mojo storm, mournsong, etc increase in damage as expected. I am at a loss here.

Most staffs and wands have a standard 3 attack range. Even the Nefarious staff only has 3. Obtaining a 5 or 6 range weapon of lower level greatly reduces the attack power of the weapon. While spell power and will are at maximum levels does weapon power have any purpose for us? Please add more staff or wand ranged weapons in the higher drop zones.

Nefarious staff scorpions versus Terracota warriors. No comparison. For full damage potential owner must have the Beast Banner. Without it scorpions are pretty much useless and can be easily killed. Having Beast Banner takes an additional turn to cast and can be destroyed.causing remaining to scorpions to turn on owner for one round. Terracotta warriors have charge and go directly to the closest opponent and do a fair amount of damage. Scorpions under banner seem to be sufficient but cannot stand up against Terracotta.

Our little hoplite skeletons? Please. They cant even destroy a singe barrel in one hit. Do I need to go on.

Pet AI is horrible and moves away from hidden targets if their is nothing else to attack, ie barrels which puts them out of combat for many rounds. Pets or summoned minions should move toward an enemy not away even if hidden. If they must make a move the direction should be toward their owner and not away on the other side of the board out of effective range.

Very big gripe. Riposte does not trigger when a fired weapon misses or is dodged. Is this intentional? Being that not all class weapons are equal riposte should trigger if a fired shot is dodged. So many potential attacks easily circumvented by this.

I am running out of room but have so many flaws to point out that could make PVP better for all classes but I will leave it there for now. Until next time. Devs please investigate I am not just making things up or complaining.
Riposte can't trigger against a range attack ( guns or wands ), it's a melee talent only. Otherwise I agree completely with what you say about Witchdoctors ( though I wish to point out that even with the Beast Banner, a swashbuckler with even a decent dodge can easily handle those scorpions. )

Developer
Mike888b on Aug 14, 2015 wrote:

1) I see spell crits as often as expected. I've seen reports both ways and looked into the code-- everything seems fine.

2) Damage output does not have an equal ratio between classes. Single target damage certainly is not equal among all classes. Some classes are better at single target damage; some classes are better at multiple target damage. A WD definitely falls behind if he can't hit more than 1 opponent.

2) That does seem really low for your weapon attack-- almost as if you didn't have a weapon equipped. I have not seen any other reports of "broken" weapon damage.

3) Wands have a range of 5 and target a single square. Staffs have a range of 3 and target an AoE. Shop the bazaar for high level wands and staves. They're out there.

4) Correct, the scorpions are not as powerful as the terracotta warriors. That's to be expected for a higher level item from a higher-ranking Boss.

5) Hoplite skeletons are not meant to be damage dealers, they're cannon fodder. They'll soak attacks and they will draw out epic talents.

6) Agreed: Pet/Summon AI is horrible. It needs to be beefed up considerably if pets are to be useful in PvP.

7) Riposte is not supposed to fire against ranged weapons. Melee talents work against melee, ranged vs. ranged, and magic vs. magic.