Tired of the word "noob"

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Calamity Finch on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
As someone with a high level wizard with the auric dragon statue, and a pirate in Aquila with the pioneer eye patch, I do not consider myself a new player. I don't like to stand out in Commons and Avery's court getting friend requests from anyone who begs high level help for every fight or thinks I might have crowns either. I like to dress in an outfit that suits the area and might look like a lower level than I am. The people throwing that word around are pretty superficial, and almost never look beyond appearances. I've been called it often, I also know it has no bearing on the reality. Try to remember that if you are called it, they don't know what they are talking about. They almost never look at your level when they call you that. The few that did look closer at me sure were shocked.

Yes, some who say it are using it like a curse, others might still mean it as "new player" as in, "I felt like a noob." Any word can be said with vile intent, but if you hear in your head the words "new player" every time they say noob it starts to sound pretty silly. I don't like the vile intent to insult, but "noob" doesn't have much bite to it if you don't let it get to you. Their bad attitude reflects poorly on them and not on whoever they are calling names.
yep, those guys only friend you if your a high level person. speaking of which, now that i think about it most of my friends are mostly are under level 10 . im not saying thats bad, but you know, sometimes when im just when im minding my on buiesness, some random guy comes up to me and asks to friend me, and im just like dude, really? so yeah.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
you know, if you dress up all "high level" and what not, the other high levels will see that you are just as powerfull as you are and stop calling you "noob". but then again, you will have to deal with all the low levels too. (no offence low levels)

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
215
here's what i think of the word noob

X DOES MONQUISTADOR INITIATE EPIC CRITICAL ATTACK ON THE WORD NOOB X

NO MORE OF THE WORD NOOB

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
fearless robert sp... on Nov 3, 2013 wrote:
you know, if you dress up all "high level" and what not, the other high levels will see that you are just as powerfull as you are and stop calling you "noob". but then again, you will have to deal with all the low levels too. (no offence low levels)
My point was not that I don't like being called noob when dressed down. It was that those who do it are being rude and shallow. It doesn't matter who is being called it, not even to the ones who do it. They don't bother to look beyond shallow appearances anyway. Pretty silly in a game where high level stuff may be stitched to ANY appearance.
My point is for those of whatever level who are genuinely upset and made worried by the name callers. I want to reassure them that they are fine and the name callers are acting as fools. Of course, the bullies don't want to pick on someone their own size (level), they want to find someone they can upset. I figure it doesn't hurt for the wolves to find there are sheepdogs hidden in the flock.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Calamity Finch on Nov 5, 2013 wrote:
My point was not that I don't like being called noob when dressed down. It was that those who do it are being rude and shallow. It doesn't matter who is being called it, not even to the ones who do it. They don't bother to look beyond shallow appearances anyway. Pretty silly in a game where high level stuff may be stitched to ANY appearance.
My point is for those of whatever level who are genuinely upset and made worried by the name callers. I want to reassure them that they are fine and the name callers are acting as fools. Of course, the bullies don't want to pick on someone their own size (level), they want to find someone they can upset. I figure it doesn't hurt for the wolves to find there are sheepdogs hidden in the flock.
Nicely said. I love that; "It doesn't hurt for the wolves to find there are sheepdogs hidden in the flock" Kind of reminds me of the old cartoons where the sheepdogs would clock in and out and they would commonly disguise themselves to get the wolves. lol.

Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
Captain
Jan 17, 2013
637
hey one eyed jack! please do somthing about this!

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2012
51
man this cyber bullying who cares if they call you a noob or not because one day THEY were the noob and it's just not cool for ppl calling ppl that.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
539
the awesome smuggl... on Nov 27, 2013 wrote:
man this cyber bullying who cares if they call you a noob or not because one day THEY were the noob and it's just not cool for ppl calling ppl that.
I agree that i hate fanbase's that are completely cruel to newer players(even though hypocritically i use gunnery on every lower leveled person i find) i dont believe in the term "cyberbullying" cyberbullying in my opinion is an execuse to not use a better word for whatever you think they are doing as well as an excuse for not taking even the most constructive of critism that's just my opinion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
thatonevalenciansw... on Nov 27, 2013 wrote:
I agree that i hate fanbase's that are completely cruel to newer players(even though hypocritically i use gunnery on every lower leveled person i find) i dont believe in the term "cyberbullying" cyberbullying in my opinion is an execuse to not use a better word for whatever you think they are doing as well as an excuse for not taking even the most constructive of critism that's just my opinion.
Bullying and constructive criticism are two very different things. Criticism should help you as it may draw attention to something you are not doing well while at the same time it suggests a better way to handle the same situation. Bullying is just tearing someone down and suggesting that they go away and tells them that they are not wanted, or it shreds that person's reputation by spreading lies about them.
Criticism is a helpful thing, even if the person is not mature enough to accept it, it does not attempt to destroy that person.
Bullying is hateful and destructive and no one should tolerate it. A comment on what someone does is one thing but commenting negatively on who they are is totally another and should not be tolerated. If you hear anyone tearing someone apart like that, please have the heart and courage to stand up for them and tell the bully to go away and that their behavior is not tolerated in this game.

Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
122
I agree with Chrissy look Iifyou have problem with calling people noobs then first dont go to skull island and quit trying to get attention I just hate it when people domthat second off if you mess with noobs you mess with me i will pvp you so dont and if you cant help yourself from going to Skull Island go to a zone without them p.s egg foo yung has barely anyone there thnx for yoir time
Ruthless Blaze Roberts lvl 64 musketeer

Ensign
Jan 29, 2011
6
I agree with the part about calling people a noob because of their level.You shouldn't call someone a noob because of their level. You only have the right to call someone a noob if they have really bad gear.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
SAR28 on Jan 4, 2014 wrote:
I agree with the part about calling people a noob because of their level.You shouldn't call someone a noob because of their level. You only have the right to call someone a noob if they have really bad gear.
I wouldn't call anyone a noob no matter what their gear. The word 'noob' has changed from merely meaning someone new to the game to someone of low social rank that everyone makes fun of. In my book it is rude to call anyone something that would make them feel that way. There is nothing wrong with being new to the game. Every one of you was new at some point and you had someone teach you the ropes. Even if you claim you leaned on your own, you still learned from someone, be it on the boards or a blog or post. We all learn from each other and there is no shame from being at the beginning of the learning process. I don't care if someone shows up with no gear, they are never a noob to me. Only someone who has not learned yet.

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
539
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
Bullying and constructive criticism are two very different things. Criticism should help you as it may draw attention to something you are not doing well while at the same time it suggests a better way to handle the same situation. Bullying is just tearing someone down and suggesting that they go away and tells them that they are not wanted, or it shreds that person's reputation by spreading lies about them.
Criticism is a helpful thing, even if the person is not mature enough to accept it, it does not attempt to destroy that person.
Bullying is hateful and destructive and no one should tolerate it. A comment on what someone does is one thing but commenting negatively on who they are is totally another and should not be tolerated. If you hear anyone tearing someone apart like that, please have the heart and courage to stand up for them and tell the bully to go away and that their behavior is not tolerated in this game.
sorry chrissy i guess i just got distracted and decided to make a rant on people treating critism as the same as cyberbullying because i personally dont believe in cyber bullying which is why i am lucky kingisle focuses more on community and making a good game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
thatonevalenciansw... on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
sorry chrissy i guess i just got distracted and decided to make a rant on people treating critism as the same as cyberbullying because i personally dont believe in cyber bullying which is why i am lucky kingisle focuses more on community and making a good game.
No apologies needed *Hugs*. I knew what you meant. The types that love to cry wolf and say they are being bullied just because they are not getting their way. I know the type well. I just wanted to make the point that bullying was out there and should never be tolerated. I am totally in agreement with you that those that claim they are being bullied when they are only being gently corrected are crying wolf and it should not be done either. You did just fine.

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 5, 2014 wrote:
I wouldn't call anyone a noob no matter what their gear. The word 'noob' has changed from merely meaning someone new to the game to someone of low social rank that everyone makes fun of. In my book it is rude to call anyone something that would make them feel that way. There is nothing wrong with being new to the game. Every one of you was new at some point and you had someone teach you the ropes. Even if you claim you leaned on your own, you still learned from someone, be it on the boards or a blog or post. We all learn from each other and there is no shame from being at the beginning of the learning process. I don't care if someone shows up with no gear, they are never a noob to me. Only someone who has not learned yet.
even if someone else didnt teach them, they could still learn from their triumphs and failures. those kind of people just need to think back

Lieutenant
Jul 15, 2013
122
I remember my first time trying to post not very pretty lol

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
even if someone else didnt teach them, they could still learn from their triumphs and failures. those kind of people just need to think back
Well said.

Ensign
Nov 17, 2011
1
I know you guys will hate on this post, but...
Why is one word causing so much of this stuff? It isn’t even really an offensive word. Think about the meaning. Noob=New player. It’s not always used in that way, but that’s what it truly means. I’ve called people noobs before with some bad intentions, I’ll admit. Almost every single time, though, they were completely unoffended. Most people probably are just saying ‘noob’ because they’re angry. EVERYONE rages sometimes. Don’t tell me that you’ve never gotten angry before. Some people are just messing around, too. Sometimes I go around calling people ‘noobs’ even though they’re 20 levels higher than me. :p It’s the things people add onto just ‘noob’ that really hurts. I honestly don’t think one word should cause an entire thread of complaints. I know you all don’t like the fact there are mean people on this game, and I do agree. But the word itself really doesn’t matter. Sure, sometimes it gets mean, but I read these posts and it seemed like you guys thought this:

High level: “Noob”
Low level: “That is bullying I am going to report you for using a word that is allowed by the filter you will get banned because noob=worst word on earth and that is not nice”

Seriously...
It seems like you guys should be referring to the chat itself, not a single word.
I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post (Some things just really get to me), I just think you guys are overreacting a bit. The word ‘noob’ never really bothered me. Just think about what I said before you assume this is a rant, please. :/

Bosun
Oct 26, 2012
374
Destiny SkyShade on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
I know you guys will hate on this post, but...
Why is one word causing so much of this stuff? It isn’t even really an offensive word. Think about the meaning. Noob=New player. It’s not always used in that way, but that’s what it truly means. I’ve called people noobs before with some bad intentions, I’ll admit. Almost every single time, though, they were completely unoffended. Most people probably are just saying ‘noob’ because they’re angry. EVERYONE rages sometimes. Don’t tell me that you’ve never gotten angry before. Some people are just messing around, too. Sometimes I go around calling people ‘noobs’ even though they’re 20 levels higher than me. :p It’s the things people add onto just ‘noob’ that really hurts. I honestly don’t think one word should cause an entire thread of complaints. I know you all don’t like the fact there are mean people on this game, and I do agree. But the word itself really doesn’t matter. Sure, sometimes it gets mean, but I read these posts and it seemed like you guys thought this:

High level: “Noob”
Low level: “That is bullying I am going to report you for using a word that is allowed by the filter you will get banned because noob=worst word on earth and that is not nice”

Seriously...
It seems like you guys should be referring to the chat itself, not a single word.
I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post (Some things just really get to me), I just think you guys are overreacting a bit. The word ‘noob’ never really bothered me. Just think about what I said before you assume this is a rant, please. :/
I have been thinking of this word for quite a long time now, and it seems you have hit the nail. I suppose the context of the chat is what matters, not the word itself. Noob is just a gaming term for amateur or something. Friends in real life have done thier 'friendly teasing' and call me noob. We laugh about it because I know they are just joking and having fun. It actually builds us closer in a way.

However in the brawlin hall, noob seems to be used more as an offence rather than just pure silliness and very mild teasing. This is where I completely agree with you, it's the way they use noob that matters.

To everyone else, do you really want to remove such a weird and silly word? Perhaps ban it in PvP is what KI should do.

And tbh, noob does not bother me at all anymore. However those sneaky pirates finding loopholes for swearing in the chat is something of a bigger concern to this community, then a silly, pointless and crazy word like noob.

Once again Destiny SkyShade seems to have my vote, she has perfectly expressed her points and raised amazing points like: it's the context of the chat, not the word noob itself that counts. Consider the following scenario.

1.)
Me: Aw man I am a noob! I forgot that I should never ever hit Rooke with a gun!
Friend: Don't worry we all act like a noob sometimes, it's just silly but we can still defeat this armada elite!

2.)
Me: x charges at 17 musketeers with over watch and burst fire and dies x
Opponent: Lol your a noob! Don't worry you are getting better at PvP though!

3.)
Me: x charges at random guy, dies by his assassin strike x
Opponent: Your such a noob! Get lost from brawlin hall I don't want to play pathetic losers like you!

In all examples, noob was used. However some were nice, but number 3 would hurt the most. Now consider this, was it the word noob that hurt, or was it everything else they said?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Destiny SkyShade on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
I know you guys will hate on this post, but...
Why is one word causing so much of this stuff? It isn’t even really an offensive word. Think about the meaning. Noob=New player. It’s not always used in that way, but that’s what it truly means. I’ve called people noobs before with some bad intentions, I’ll admit. Almost every single time, though, they were completely unoffended. Most people probably are just saying ‘noob’ because they’re angry. EVERYONE rages sometimes. Don’t tell me that you’ve never gotten angry before. Some people are just messing around, too. Sometimes I go around calling people ‘noobs’ even though they’re 20 levels higher than me. :p It’s the things people add onto just ‘noob’ that really hurts. I honestly don’t think one word should cause an entire thread of complaints. I know you all don’t like the fact there are mean people on this game, and I do agree. But the word itself really doesn’t matter. Sure, sometimes it gets mean, but I read these posts and it seemed like you guys thought this:

High level: “Noob”
Low level: “That is bullying I am going to report you for using a word that is allowed by the filter you will get banned because noob=worst word on earth and that is not nice”

Seriously...
It seems like you guys should be referring to the chat itself, not a single word.
I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post (Some things just really get to me), I just think you guys are overreacting a bit. The word ‘noob’ never really bothered me. Just think about what I said before you assume this is a rant, please. :/
Welcome to the message boards Destiny.
Well said and thought out. I agree that the word didn't start out being such a slam in the heart but the mean and rude players have made it that way and they are just expressing that they are tired of getting verbally chewed out by someone just because they lost a fight or that they think that bragging and trying to make someone else look and feel worse they will feel and look better. It hurts to be spoken to like that and they are only saying that they are tired of all the rude talk and want to get it back to nice players just trying to have some fun together and learn from each other. It's not the word itself, it's how it's used.
A lot of us can just "Shake it off", sure but we all know that some don't do that so well and everyone has those days when they are vulnerable to harsh words. It would just make the game a nicer place if everyone stopped and thought about the impact of their words before they let them out of their mouths (fingers).
It's not the word that has the most power, its the voice behind it that hurts and has the capability to do so much more in just plain being nice.

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
Destiny SkyShade on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
I know you guys will hate on this post, but...
Why is one word causing so much of this stuff? It isn’t even really an offensive word. Think about the meaning. Noob=New player. It’s not always used in that way, but that’s what it truly means. I’ve called people noobs before with some bad intentions, I’ll admit. Almost every single time, though, they were completely unoffended. Most people probably are just saying ‘noob’ because they’re angry. EVERYONE rages sometimes. Don’t tell me that you’ve never gotten angry before. Some people are just messing around, too. Sometimes I go around calling people ‘noobs’ even though they’re 20 levels higher than me. :p It’s the things people add onto just ‘noob’ that really hurts. I honestly don’t think one word should cause an entire thread of complaints. I know you all don’t like the fact there are mean people on this game, and I do agree. But the word itself really doesn’t matter. Sure, sometimes it gets mean, but I read these posts and it seemed like you guys thought this:

High level: “Noob”
Low level: “That is bullying I am going to report you for using a word that is allowed by the filter you will get banned because noob=worst word on earth and that is not nice”

Seriously...
It seems like you guys should be referring to the chat itself, not a single word.
I don’t mean to offend anyone with this post (Some things just really get to me), I just think you guys are overreacting a bit. The word ‘noob’ never really bothered me. Just think about what I said before you assume this is a rant, please. :/
it doesnt mean "new player" anymore. now its a derogatory word for a weak and/or worthless person. it has been used wrong and got a new meaning. i know about 2 words that used to be innocent, but they were used wrong and their meaning were changed. one of them got over to the profanity section. noob is on its way too. why KI even put that word in the dictionary in the first place is beyond me

Ensign
Jul 17, 2010
4
It's not like we are using cursing bombs or racial slurs.

As a noob who cares if some person is calling me a noob it just means they probably spent more time on the computer than I did.

Pirates chat is way more sensitive than wizard which makes no sense when pirates are known for being a bit on the dirty and less mannered side.