Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Three Questions

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
I've noticed three things while playing ranked that may or may not be bugs, and I was wondering if these things are intended:

1) Valor's armor on a character prevents blade storm from triggering. This I think is a bug because I've hit nausica with a blade storm when she had a valor's armor. However the other day i was facing a witchdoctor with valor's armor on and I used a super strike from barnabus, who has blade storm 2 and blade storm didn't go off. Pete also got a critical but no blade storm. Is this an intended side effect of valor's armor?

2) Poison can target hidden players when there are no other targets in the area. A couple days ago it was down to just my char vs a swashbuckler char. I was not near any boxes and we were both hidden, yet he was able to approach me and poison me! Is this a bug? It's not like mojo storm or gunnery where you can target empty squares; I thought poison had to have a target. So is poison the one ability where you can directly target an opponent or is this a bug?

3) Dispel magic does not remove the damage OR the curse from assassin's shroud. I ignorantly wasted a turn where I could have attacked trying to dispel the poison so I could heal myself. Whoops, apparently poison is technically not considered a debuff. Even if this isn't a bug, I would ask the devs to consider changing this. The poison damage is written in red just like other debuffs. I don't see why poison is not a debuff. Furthermore, if poison isn't a debuff then bleeding probably isn't either. So somehow a swashbuckler's entire arsenal is immune to dispel, along with hidden being immune to purge. At least let dispel magic remove the curse part so we can heal!

I would really appreciate knowing if these are bugs or not, because as small as they might seem, they do affect gameplay and literally costed me two close matches.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
bluba4 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
I've noticed three things while playing ranked that may or may not be bugs, and I was wondering if these things are intended:

1) Valor's armor on a character prevents blade storm from triggering. This I think is a bug because I've hit nausica with a blade storm when she had a valor's armor. However the other day i was facing a witchdoctor with valor's armor on and I used a super strike from barnabus, who has blade storm 2 and blade storm didn't go off. Pete also got a critical but no blade storm. Is this an intended side effect of valor's armor?

2) Poison can target hidden players when there are no other targets in the area. A couple days ago it was down to just my char vs a swashbuckler char. I was not near any boxes and we were both hidden, yet he was able to approach me and poison me! Is this a bug? It's not like mojo storm or gunnery where you can target empty squares; I thought poison had to have a target. So is poison the one ability where you can directly target an opponent or is this a bug?

3) Dispel magic does not remove the damage OR the curse from assassin's shroud. I ignorantly wasted a turn where I could have attacked trying to dispel the poison so I could heal myself. Whoops, apparently poison is technically not considered a debuff. Even if this isn't a bug, I would ask the devs to consider changing this. The poison damage is written in red just like other debuffs. I don't see why poison is not a debuff. Furthermore, if poison isn't a debuff then bleeding probably isn't either. So somehow a swashbuckler's entire arsenal is immune to dispel, along with hidden being immune to purge. At least let dispel magic remove the curse part so we can heal!

I would really appreciate knowing if these are bugs or not, because as small as they might seem, they do affect gameplay and literally costed me two close matches.
#2. I have noticed this also and all bucklers are taking advantage of this ( if it is a bug ) although I thought it was part of the new patch.
#3 Mist, Gloom and Shroud aren't de-buffs ( they don't attack stats or powers ) they are solely damage over time powers. Yes the curse from shroud prevents healing but its not a de-buff nor does it stop a heal over time applied before the shroud.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

bladestorm requires damage to activate, with va on no damage is given so bladestorm does not activate

Developer

1) There's not enough info here for me to answer definitively. As you describe it, it's working in some cases but not in others.

2) Poison works like other AoE powers: you target a square, and it affects anything in the radius. Even hidden targets-- just like other AoEs.

3) "So somehow a swashbuckler's entire arsenal is immune to dispel, along with hidden being immune to purge." That should answer your question! It is not by coincidence that a swashbuckler's powers are not considered "magical." But I would definitely consider making the curse part subject to magic counters, should I find the need to further curb swashbucklers.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
1) There's not enough info here for me to answer definitively. As you describe it, it's working in some cases but not in others.

2) Poison works like other AoE powers: you target a square, and it affects anything in the radius. Even hidden targets-- just like other AoEs.

3) "So somehow a swashbuckler's entire arsenal is immune to dispel, along with hidden being immune to purge." That should answer your question! It is not by coincidence that a swashbuckler's powers are not considered "magical." But I would definitely consider making the curse part subject to magic counters, should I find the need to further curb swashbucklers.
Thank you for clarifying the poison part. I will keep the community updated if I find the valor's armor bug again.

A follow-up question then: I could be wrong about this but I believe Ratbeard's knock back AoE does need a non-hidden target to work. I could test it to make sure, but if this is the case, is that intended since it's more of a "physical" AoE?

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Ratbeard on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:

I can provide more info on number 1 for you as the Witch that bluba4 fought in his example.

Since as far back as I can remember, even before the ranked PvP update, there are two little things about Valor Armor that any duelist always needs to be aware of:

1. Valor's Armor on an unit prevents bladestorm/double tap from activating on said character.

2. Valor's Armor on an unit prevents hidden from being removed if a hidden unit attacks said character.

Of course, both scenarios are assuming neither the critical attack nor the hidden hit break the valor's armor, which meas they do no damage. Whether it is due to bladestorm requiring damage to activate as Robert said above or another reason, I can confirm for you Ratbeard that bladestorm/double tap/witch equivalent will never activate on a valor's armor unit if your attack does not break the shield.

This can be easily replicated by anyone:
Character A uses Valor Armor on himself
Character B uses a Critical Card (ranged or melee) on Character A
Character A's Valor Armor won't break from the initial critical hit, so bladestorm/double tap won't trigger

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Alex Hawkins on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
I can provide more info on number 1 for you as the Witch that bluba4 fought in his example.

Since as far back as I can remember, even before the ranked PvP update, there are two little things about Valor Armor that any duelist always needs to be aware of:

1. Valor's Armor on an unit prevents bladestorm/double tap from activating on said character.

2. Valor's Armor on an unit prevents hidden from being removed if a hidden unit attacks said character.

Of course, both scenarios are assuming neither the critical attack nor the hidden hit break the valor's armor, which meas they do no damage. Whether it is due to bladestorm requiring damage to activate as Robert said above or another reason, I can confirm for you Ratbeard that bladestorm/double tap/witch equivalent will never activate on a valor's armor unit if your attack does not break the shield.

This can be easily replicated by anyone:
Character A uses Valor Armor on himself
Character B uses a Critical Card (ranged or melee) on Character A
Character A's Valor Armor won't break from the initial critical hit, so bladestorm/double tap won't trigger
I think that might be why I was able to blade storm nausica; I probably broke the armor with the hit before.

Thanks for letting me know about the hidden part, I've never heard about that either.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Ratbeard has already answered the valors armor question here: Few Questions

{"Bladestorm does not seem to activate against units with valors armor on them. Is that intentional or a bug?

If you are hidden and attack a companion with valor's armor, sometimes your hidden will remain even after the attack.

That's intentional. An attack that does no damage won't trigger abilities that are listening for "On Damage."}

Developer
Thanks Alex. The clarification provided the missing info.

If the attack depletes the shield, damage-based triggers will fire.