Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Terror-Cotta Troupe - And Why It's Ridiculous

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
Possibly Effective Strategy Which Addresses Most of Your Problems

NOTE: This strategy has not been tested, but was just something I threw together. I apologize if it does not work for you (if you so wish to test it) or if someone else voiced the same or a similar strategy before I had (and if this is the case, I’m not trying to steal credit from you).

Required Companions:
  • Egg Shen (or Zang Cha) w/ First Strike 3
  • Bonnie Anne w/ Overwatch 3
  • Ratbeard w/ First Strike 3 and Hold the Line 3

Required Abilities:
  • Dispel Magic ability (available through Technomage’s Glasses)

Required Pet:
  • Any w/ Scent, Scent 2, or Scent 3

After The Terror-Cotta Troupe have dealt their damage, use Dispel Magic (to remove the Reduce Accuracy that ails you so) then use Ratbeard to knock them back with his Clear the Decks.

*You can use Bonnie Anne’s Scatter Blast beforehand, but for best results, just have her attack the same target as Egg Shen/Zang Cha (as the reduce dodge can be better used on Swashbuckler units or whomever the Swashbuckler’s team includes and attacking the same target as Egg Shen/Zang Cha will heighten the chances of getting rid of one or multiple enemy summons).

When the Troupe returns, they will no longer pose much of a threat.

Companions with First Strike 3 and the pet with Scent will take care of those hidden by Black Fog (or hidden at all, for that matter).
Egg Shen/Zang Cha can't train Fs3

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
Is there any other item in the game that you need to create a strategy just to beat? Any single item?

I can almost guarantee that there will always be at least one such item.

Most players are not particularly creative. They will catch wind of "the uber strat" and just mindlessly go with what they think is an easy win.

When Moo's Robe is brought into line, watch this forum for the next "urgent problem." (Will it be the Beast Banner? Baar himself? Nausicaa? Tune in to find out!)

Looking into my designer crystal ball, I foresee an endless game of whack-a-mole, trying to nerf the current best item/power/companion in the game (or whatever scapegoat players settle on for their losses).
Kinda feel offended there by the creativity Not just that but your first comment of such item before rank there wasn't such item I saw no complaints what so ever of any special item or companion beast banners aren't used much nausica can be easily countered by a buck or buckler or another class when ever they feel like it puting a line to the moo robe would not only make 3/4 of the actual pvp community happy but it would also save you tons of time.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
Ratbeard on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
1) We're trying some changes to tone down the Robes, but it doesn't look like any of the fixes are working as intended.

2) That notwithstanding: Set aside the Robe for a moment, then take your pick of other rare, high-level gear. It WILL provide a huge advantage to players who have it versus players who don't.

Investing time and effort into the PvE experience to farm for the best gear is assumed in the game balance. If you don't want to farm for the best gear, you are choosing to limit your advancement in the ranks.

While we agree that no single piece of gear should attain "must-have" status, we also have no intent of putting just anybody with bargain-bin gear on the same footing as people who worked to prepare themselves to compete at the highest level.

People with average gear will tend to limit themselves to the tier of other players of average skill or average gear. People with above average gear can maybe punch above their weight class against more skilled opponents.

But the top tiers of play will be dominated by players with above average gear and above average skill. Achieving either of those things requires effort, and effort is rewarded.

PvP is just like other competitive pursuits in that respect.
"Set aside the robes for a moment, then take your pick of other rare, high-level gear. It WILL provide a huge advantage to players who have it versus players who don't."

If this said "huge advantage" is true, then players will obviously not sit back on gear that doesn't even compare and let the obvious best gear rule the meta.

"Investing time and effort into the PvE experience to farm for the best gear is assumed in the game balance. If you don't want to farm for the best gear, you are choosing to limit your advancement in the ranks."
I am not exactly sure what investing more time has to do with anything. If Wizard101 or Pirate101 even slightly worked that way, nobody would complain about the robes. The problem at the moment is that since the drop rate is ground level, many players will not have the gear after several hundred tries and few players will have that piece of gear in maybe 1-2 tries. Many players that do complain about not having it are most likely players who have spent ages (Pirate101 left a year's gap between the Tower update until now, meaning many players have farmed for around a year) on farming the gear. People who actually invest their time on farming the item should receive unique advantages, not players who just happen to get lucky at it first few tries.
What many other game companies have is something I like to call the "mercy rule." The more you farm for said item, the more of a chance you have of getting it. Another thing many other video games use is if you farm for something enough times, it will become a guaranteed drop.
While I very highly respect KingsIsle and its efforts on game balance, using extremely low percentages for a dropped item and calling everybody who doesn't have it a slacker or somebody who doesn't even remotely try to farm for it isn't very accurate.
This same reason has lead me into far less interest in Wizard101 and it looks like Pirate101 is falling into that path as well, with one single item.

Developer
bluba4 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
I predict a logarithmic decrease in complaints with each ranked update.

Then charming gaze enters the arena and everyone freaks out about masque of the lotus, with good reason.

I wish I shared your optimism. It seems to be the nature of players to try to tear down successful strategies. You're like lobsters in a tank.

Then charming gaze enters the arena and everyone freaks out about masque of the lotus, with good reason.

Ah, that's better.

Is the Moo Robe as it is OP? Absolutely with the fact there powers REGENERATE once the changes to Moo Robe Ratbeard INTENDED are applied and work as according to plan it will still be an amazing MUST HAVE item currently in THIS META

Since you've never yet seen the changes working as intended, your prediction is best served with salt.

You literally just said that people have made it to Champion without it. We MUST HAVE a different definition of MUST HAVE.

It's not impossible it just takes skill, time, effort, and persistence.

That's an excellent recipe for "champion!"

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
TechnomagePvP on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
I completely agree,

Is the Moo Robe as it is OP? Absolutely with the fact there powers REGENERATE one the changes to Moo Robe Ratbeard INTENDED are applied and work as according to plan it will still be an amazing MUST HAVE item currently in THIS META but that does not mean people who farm it will get an auto win, there are currently (That I know) 4 people who've made it to Champion w/ out Moo Robe (By the time this is posted most likely 5) who have gotten to Champion w/ out Moo Robe (Including my Buccaneer) so it's not impossible it just takes skill, time, effort, and persistence.
Does your champion bucc use baar, goro, or nausica?

Developer
PvP King on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
"Set aside the robes for a moment, then take your pick of other rare, high-level gear. It WILL provide a huge advantage to players who have it versus players who don't."

If this said "huge advantage" is true, then players will obviously not sit back on gear that doesn't even compare and let the obvious best gear rule the meta.

"Investing time and effort into the PvE experience to farm for the best gear is assumed in the game balance. If you don't want to farm for the best gear, you are choosing to limit your advancement in the ranks."
I am not exactly sure what investing more time has to do with anything. If Wizard101 or Pirate101 even slightly worked that way, nobody would complain about the robes. The problem at the moment is that since the drop rate is ground level, many players will not have the gear after several hundred tries and few players will have that piece of gear in maybe 1-2 tries. Many players that do complain about not having it are most likely players who have spent ages (Pirate101 left a year's gap between the Tower update until now, meaning many players have farmed for around a year) on farming the gear. People who actually invest their time on farming the item should receive unique advantages, not players who just happen to get lucky at it first few tries.
What many other game companies have is something I like to call the "mercy rule." The more you farm for said item, the more of a chance you have of getting it. Another thing many other video games use is if you farm for something enough times, it will become a guaranteed drop.
While I very highly respect KingsIsle and its efforts on game balance, using extremely low percentages for a dropped item and calling everybody who doesn't have it a slacker or somebody who doesn't even remotely try to farm for it isn't very accurate.
This same reason has lead me into far less interest in Wizard101 and it looks like Pirate101 is falling into that path as well, with one single item.
We've already agreed to tone down the Robe, and we've already conceded that no single piece of gear should be considered Must Have for competition.

Given that, is there some way you'd like to restate your concerns that might be addressed?

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Is there any other item in the game that you need to create a strategy just to beat? Any single item?

Most players are not particularly creative. They will catch wind of "the uber strat" and just mindlessly go with what they think is an easy win.

When Moo's Robe is brought into line, watch this forum for the next "urgent problem." (Will it be the Beast Banner? Baar himself? Nausicaa? Tune in to find out!)

Looking into my designer crystal ball, I foresee an endless game of whack-a-mole, trying to nerf the current best item/power/companion in the game (or whatever scapegoat players settle on for their losses).
Okay then. From this perspective, the only real solution is to remove the problem at its root.

One solution is to go the path of Brawl Minus, a game in which every character is buffed to such an insane degree that they are all equal in terms of strength, both offensively and defensively. If everyone is insanely powerful everyone is about equal and all have the power to both defend and kill undefended players more easily.

Another solution is to remove the forums or not listen to players at all, but I don't believe that would benefit anyone.

The items in question could be made more available to players. There could be a token system in which you get a token for completing a dungeon, and after getting enough tokens you could get one item of your choice from that dungeon.

Ideas?

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
bluba4 on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Does your champion bucc use baar, goro, or nausica?
In my final team/build/set yes he does. But guess what you have to pay to win sometimes but you still gotta use skill to beat the other players who also have these items/companions so I don't wanna hear the whole 'Exactly you bought OP companions' because guess what, Pete a FTP comp is better then all 3 of those guys because of the recent companion epic buff.

If you want to be the best, you can't be the cheapest, if you wanna be the best you can't be the richest. Skill will always be a factor so you can't say P2W because it's been proven if you're a top player and actually sit down to think of a way to counter such a thing even through this OP era of the robe eventually you'll get up there.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:

I wish I shared your optimism. It seems to be the nature of players to try to tear down successful strategies. You're like lobsters in a tank.

Ah, that's better.

Is the Moo Robe as it is OP? Absolutely with the fact there powers REGENERATE once the changes to Moo Robe Ratbeard INTENDED are applied and work as according to plan it will still be an amazing MUST HAVE item currently in THIS META

Since you've never yet seen the changes working as intended, your prediction is best served with salt.

You literally just said that people have made it to Champion without it. We MUST HAVE a different definition of MUST HAVE.

It's not impossible it just takes skill, time, effort, and persistence.

That's an excellent recipe for "champion!"
Oh I meant as in MUST HAVE as in:
It's so good even w/ out vicious charge/levy that they're still a major wall of bulk that (technically speaking here according to your 50% chance) half of them will reduce your enemy's unit(s) so it still gives off major pressure on the board but will be a lot more useful defensively then it is right now as more of an offensive tool. So it won't become utterly useless but a lot more useful as a Witch/Privy (The 2 classes needing a buff) for that strong defensive tool they need to survive these unfair updates on there take.

Ensign
Mar 02, 2010
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
We've already agreed to tone down the Robe, and we've already conceded that no single piece of gear should be considered Must Have for competition.

Given that, is there some way you'd like to restate your concerns that might be addressed?
Yes, there are a handful of concerns I would like to be addressed. I think it might help if you take what I said and replaced the Moo robe with all rare items. Something that dreads me is the fact that many rare items give huge advantages to players, as you stated above.

The problem isn't that many players are becoming lazy and posting on the message boards before they go farming for gear for weeks, many of these players have worked a lot harder into getting individual advantageous pieces of gear than people who actually have it. What I want to see in Pirate101 is a "work hard and get it" kind of deal. I know many players who have the gear I want who put minimal effort into it, while when I set aside hours of other things to farm for the piece of gear to gain their same advantage, I may not have the gear.

To other people's eyes, "must have" gear is different than my "must have" gear. Many people may not want the gear I want, others will find the gear appealing as well. This causes the "must-have" label to be put onto the items that players have (only in their eyes), if they want to peak the effectiveness of their strategy.

Pirate101 works the same way as Wizard101, given that many advantage giving items are extremely rare in some situations. What I would like to see in Pirate101, since I believe KI is aware of what these items may be, that every rare item can have a higher chance of dropping every so and so times the player farms for the item. It could work a similar way to this:

Say an item has a 1/100 chance of dropping. Say that one player fought the boss who dropped it 6 times. The chance of it dropping could increase by 1% every 2 times the player did that boss, resulting in a 4/100 chance of getting it. Now, in teams, this calculator would simply average how many runs each player did, and that percentage would go for the entire team. I think this would help many players in achieving their long-wanted items while having some mercy for farming longer.

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
In my final team/build/set yes he does. But guess what you have to pay to win sometimes but you still gotta use skill to beat the other players who also have these items/companions so I don't wanna hear the whole 'Exactly you bought OP companions' because guess what, Pete a FTP comp is better then all 3 of those guys because of the recent companion epic buff.

If you want to be the best, you can't be the cheapest, if you wanna be the best you can't be the richest. Skill will always be a factor so you can't say P2W because it's been proven if you're a top player and actually sit down to think of a way to counter such a thing even through this OP era of the robe eventually you'll get up there.
Looooooool skills are useless when your cards don't even help you when your a against the robe and fog or highland the "cheese" spamming summons down 24/7 fdilling the whole board and killing your companions before you can even use them the robe itself gets ur companions down to yellow even the player having shields down such as triton or fortress u get o yellow below 3 rounds and your companions can't do anything because of reduces and auto supers from terra yeah terra isn't op who. Said that LOL you know charming gaze ISNT OP who said that nah u only need to change companions that's all... Sure change them for rat beard what's rat beard gonna do after? Just chill? What's Bonnie going to do vs nausica? Oh I know she's gonna say hello and get destroyed by grit wait what's Flanders gonna do vs Pete idk get one rounded before even able to hit lol what's a melee going to do vs baar idk baar spams criticals and chains without the need of a buff but wait he has reduces wait better yet he has summons too wait that's not all he has 3d range hits wait your team already dead? Aww I haven't even charged.... And your already on red... Let me just fort and charge u and slay u with full chains 1 round full health said the buck

let's not Listen to the actual pvp players who aren't cheap and don't need the robe to win matches and not to the players who are rank hero or above due to that robe

Luis

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Myhomie541 on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
Looooooool skills are useless when your cards don't even help you when your a against the robe and fog or highland the "cheese" spamming summons down 24/7 fdilling the whole board and killing your companions before you can even use them the robe itself gets ur companions down to yellow even the player having shields down such as triton or fortress u get o yellow below 3 rounds and your companions can't do anything because of reduces and auto supers from terra yeah terra isn't op who. Said that LOL you know charming gaze ISNT OP who said that nah u only need to change companions that's all... Sure change them for rat beard what's rat beard gonna do after? Just chill? What's Bonnie going to do vs nausica? Oh I know she's gonna say hello and get destroyed by grit wait what's Flanders gonna do vs Pete idk get one rounded before even able to hit lol what's a melee going to do vs baar idk baar spams criticals and chains without the need of a buff but wait he has reduces wait better yet he has summons too wait that's not all he has 3d range hits wait your team already dead? Aww I haven't even charged.... And your already on red... Let me just fort and charge u and slay u with full chains 1 round full health said the buck

let's not Listen to the actual pvp players who aren't cheap and don't need the robe to win matches and not to the players who are rank hero or above due to that robe

Luis
I don't believe anyone posting here is using the robe to gain ranks. We're asking for and hopefully getting a reduction on the Terror-Cotta's powers.
I no longer freak when I see the cotta placed on the board ( in fact I'm surprised when an opponent doesn't use them ) I have a strategy and it works.
Ratbeard "What's he gonna do?" Well, if you've given him HL3 he keeps three of the cotta from passing by and hitting your other companions, have him use his damage reduction and his health will still be above yellow when the cotta have been reduced to dust.
Use Gunnery before they approach, have Bonnie Anne shoot ( and hope for one of her burst fire-double tap chains ). Save her scatter shot for the opponent.
And you - shield, shield, shield or since I see you're a WD Mojo Storm the opponent as soon as he/she is in range.
I hope you're using Kan Po and that he has FS3, his critical attack can even put Fan down.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
I don't believe anyone posting here is using the robe to gain ranks. We're asking for and hopefully getting a reduction on the Terror-Cotta's powers.
I no longer freak when I see the cotta placed on the board ( in fact I'm surprised when an opponent doesn't use them ) I have a strategy and it works.
Ratbeard "What's he gonna do?" Well, if you've given him HL3 he keeps three of the cotta from passing by and hitting your other companions, have him use his damage reduction and his health will still be above yellow when the cotta have been reduced to dust.
Use Gunnery before they approach, have Bonnie Anne shoot ( and hope for one of her burst fire-double tap chains ). Save her scatter shot for the opponent.
And you - shield, shield, shield or since I see you're a WD Mojo Storm the opponent as soon as he/she is in range.
I hope you're using Kan Po and that he has FS3, his critical attack can even put Fan down.
Kan Po cannot get FS3(Wish he could :P) he can get Riposte 3, so that could help.

Also, If you have more than one Mojo Storm(Moo gear) Then I would just use a couple of your lesser AoEs as a WD. Training Readied Spell can also help as they walk up to you. As a WD, you can also use your minions to distract some of theirs(a "minion war" )

I still find them annoying, but I can come back if the opponent does not apply additional pressure.

Using Robes to gain rank is a bit stretching... Most people I see are using them to make a point to show that it is overpowered(because it is bugged)

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
This ability is the single most overpowered ability in the entire history of the game by a large margin. It is the only ability that has ever existed that allows you to win an entire match almost instantly with absolutely no downsides. It creates a group of nine terror-cotta warriors with seven hundred health each, that all possess (in my experience) multiple Brutal Charges and a Leviathan's Call. This makes for a total of 12600 damage minimum output to completely destroy them. This also means that they have the ability to reduce everyone on your teams' accuracy to effectively zero for five rounds. Each of the nine summoned Terror Cotta Warriors has Hold the Line Three, preventing your group from moving and halving their dodge. With one power, your opponent eliminates your and your companions' accuracy for five rounds and halves your dodge while immobilizing you.
This allows for a perfect game if a Swashbuckler gets the Imperial Robes.
Round One: Black Fog, agility buff from Fan, accuracy/dodge buff from Toro. Round one is done.

Round Two: Terror Cotta Troupe, use any other buffs such as Shadowdance. Round two is done.

Round Three: Super Strike/Assassin's Strike enemy for a total of roughly 7200 damage. Relentless untill all are dead.

This is an insanely unbalancing move, and one that necessitates farming the Tower for this one piece of gear. I have played eighteen Ranked PvP matches. All have been 1v1. I've won twelve. All of these matches have been against non-Imperial Robes enemies of varying classes. I've lost six. All have been against swashbucklers with the Imperial Robes. I've lost within seven rounds on every match despite my frequent usage of Valor's Armor, Valor's Fortress and Leviathan's Call.

If anyone has any answers, PLEASE share them.

Thanks.
100% AGREED with this post, this ability is extremely overpowered especially if in the right hands, Reducing dodge, accuracy AND preventing players to move forwards is a tremendous amount of force for one power

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

it will be nurse quinn, shes so op!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
This ability is the single most overpowered ability in the entire history of the game by a large margin. It is the only ability that has ever existed that allows you to win an entire match almost instantly with absolutely no downsides. It creates a group of nine terror-cotta warriors with seven hundred health each, that all possess (in my experience) multiple Brutal Charges and a Leviathan's Call. This makes for a total of 12600 damage minimum output to completely destroy them. This also means that they have the ability to reduce everyone on your teams' accuracy to effectively zero for five rounds. Each of the nine summoned Terror Cotta Warriors has Hold the Line Three, preventing your group from moving and halving their dodge. With one power, your opponent eliminates your and your companions' accuracy for five rounds and halves your dodge while immobilizing you.
This allows for a perfect game if a Swashbuckler gets the Imperial Robes.
Round One: Black Fog, agility buff from Fan, accuracy/dodge buff from Toro. Round one is done.

Round Two: Terror Cotta Troupe, use any other buffs such as Shadowdance. Round two is done.

Round Three: Super Strike/Assassin's Strike enemy for a total of roughly 7200 damage. Relentless untill all are dead.

This is an insanely unbalancing move, and one that necessitates farming the Tower for this one piece of gear. I have played eighteen Ranked PvP matches. All have been 1v1. I've won twelve. All of these matches have been against non-Imperial Robes enemies of varying classes. I've lost six. All have been against swashbucklers with the Imperial Robes. I've lost within seven rounds on every match despite my frequent usage of Valor's Armor, Valor's Fortress and Leviathan's Call.

If anyone has any answers, PLEASE share them.

Thanks.
Actually I'm just glad something has taken the focus off of Black Fog

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
1) We're trying some changes to tone down the Robes, but it doesn't look like any of the fixes are working as intended.

2) That notwithstanding: Set aside the Robe for a moment, then take your pick of other rare, high-level gear. It WILL provide a huge advantage to players who have it versus players who don't.

Investing time and effort into the PvE experience to farm for the best gear is assumed in the game balance. If you don't want to farm for the best gear, you are choosing to limit your advancement in the ranks.

While we agree that no single piece of gear should attain "must-have" status, we also have no intent of putting just anybody with bargain-bin gear on the same footing as people who worked to prepare themselves to compete at the highest level.

People with average gear will tend to limit themselves to the tier of other players of average skill or average gear. People with above average gear can maybe punch above their weight class against more skilled opponents.

But the top tiers of play will be dominated by players with above average gear and above average skill. Achieving either of those things requires effort, and effort is rewarded.

PvP is just like other competitive pursuits in that respect.
In this respect please do not tone down the robes. With the way the new epics are and the fast combat the pve experience has already been diluted again. Please do not render everything that is obtained in the pve side of things inferior to items won in pvp and don't just decide game powers with the ranks in mind but with all players in mind.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
The whole 9 units that do so much still feels over powered in every aspect I somehow feel that even after the nerfs the robe will continue to be thought of as "needed" to be able to have a fair chance that's the current mentality out of everyone I've met, how have they come to this conclusion? I assume from the experience of facing it. Now I get that there are counters and things you can do my biggest gripe continues to be the advantage it gives for absolutely NO risk every other power has some sort of backdraw. If you fort 1 companion you leave yourself open, if you use hide your opponent can hide and your vulnerable a turn after yours expires, if you charge in you put yourself in enemy lines, The moo robe is Both defensive and offensive at the same time the warriors Hold the line prevents engages on your team the brutal charges lower the accuracy to further discourage a counter attack and the damage the warriors can output over time plus the explosions afterwards is very respectable

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
O so I take it your around paragon then lol have fun

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

If and when I ever get into Ranked PvP, and after I've conquered a few real-world things, I just may jump on that 'OP Bandwagon' and perpetual game of whack-a-rat.

But I'm gonna be smart about it. Instead of blaming and targeting the gear, I am going to lay claim that anyone who is better than me, is WAAAAAY OP and must be removed!!! If those that are superior to me get banned, then you can bet I'll have no problem climbing those ranks!

You down with OP gear, yeah you know me...you down with OP gear, yeah you know me...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
the midnightpirate on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
O so I take it your around paragon then lol have fun
You know very well that I'm not at paragon ( yet ). Still, I'm doing very well against the Cotta. It's the follow-up on the robe user that has me stumbling; sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I hope it doesn't come down to either use the Robes to win or chose to lose on my principles. This is so very tempting at times, I have the Robes, I could use them, but I would rather win on my own than use them.
True, using them is not an auto-win ( especially at higher levels where the players 1. know how to neutralize them or 2. have robes of their own. ) but it does make it easier.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
In this respect please do not tone down the robes. With the way the new epics are and the fast combat the pve experience has already been diluted again. Please do not render everything that is obtained in the pve side of things inferior to items won in pvp and don't just decide game powers with the ranks in mind but with all players in mind.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
If you think the PVE experience has been diluted, it's clear that you haven't entered the Tower or Smuggler's Arena lately: the AI has stepped up it's game and the Nefarious have been demonstrating extra powers. The mobs in the Arena have always been tough but now they, too, are demonstrating all the powers you would expect from players of that level.
And, excuse me for saying this: but have you actually been taking part in the ranked PVP? I believe only those who have been facing the Terror-Cotta have a right to venture an opinion on their abilities and powers in a PVP situation.

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Egg Shen/Zang Cha can't train Fs3
D'oh!

(Zuto told me this on the first page, but I didn't edit it. It was a bad example, anyway.)

- Jack

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
You know very well that I'm not at paragon ( yet ). Still, I'm doing very well against the Cotta. It's the follow-up on the robe user that has me stumbling; sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I hope it doesn't come down to either use the Robes to win or chose to lose on my principles. This is so very tempting at times, I have the Robes, I could use them, but I would rather win on my own than use them.
True, using them is not an auto-win ( especially at higher levels where the players 1. know how to neutralize them or 2. have robes of their own. ) but it does make it easier.
I'm not sure what rank your currently or the skill level of your opponents but I am at paragon and I can garuntee you players In this tier know how use their advantages to the fullest and if you don't have said robe and try to counter them via companion choices they will take advatange of your specific comp with their stronger one. the highest I got was to 360 before I just lost back to back to moo robe users and I'm currently at 300 and I'm not doing another ranked till the robe is fixed but I'm sure you'll get to that point too the advantage it gives is too much against 2 players that are about equal skill level and experience the one with the robe has a head and shoulders advantage over the other regardless of how much planning and preparation one had done for it because the player with the robe isn't restrained to itemize and organize their powers and companions for just 1 power

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Sunny Wolf on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
I'm not sure what rank your currently or the skill level of your opponents but I am at paragon and I can garuntee you players In this tier know how use their advantages to the fullest and if you don't have said robe and try to counter them via companion choices they will take advatange of your specific comp with their stronger one. the highest I got was to 360 before I just lost back to back to moo robe users and I'm currently at 300 and I'm not doing another ranked till the robe is fixed but I'm sure you'll get to that point too the advantage it gives is too much against 2 players that are about equal skill level and experience the one with the robe has a head and shoulders advantage over the other regardless of how much planning and preparation one had done for it because the player with the robe isn't restrained to itemize and organize their powers and companions for just 1 power
Then, would you say, if I, with just the strategy I used to counter the Cotta and then turn around and manage to beat the robe user ( which I have done ). Then this makes me superior to that player?
If the answer is "yes", then why should I use something for which there is a strategy? Shouldn't I learn and grow as a competitor and not depend on a super-powered cheat?