Test realm changes to PvP

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
As you all should know, test realm is now open. With some impressive new gear and stats, as well as the massive change being that swashbucklers will no longer be unhidden when hit with an AoE, meaning the only way for them to be unhidden is for them to attack, and a major change with all buckler companions, they all have alert rank 1 by default, -50% off all bombs and traps.
I think swashbucklers will have a definite increase in pvp. The gear from moo manchu's dungeon (weapon especially) gives the flanking epic, 220 base damage. 50% armor penetration (incredible! No buccaneer fear!) and the power "Black Fog" which is the group hide.
I'm sure that we'll be seeing more swashbuckler teams in pvp.
But is it overpowered? My main character is a swashbuckler and i was always fond of them, but i fear this change may be too much. We'll find out once ranked pvp is out though.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
208
An alternative would be to run the other way as fast as possible until it times out.

Ensign
Jun 18, 2009
1
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 17, 2014 wrote:
An alternative would be to run the other way as fast as possible until it times out.
Running away from a swashbuckler with fast talents(increase movement) and 5 rounds to get across the board is nearly impossible, especially with the reduced battle board size. I am very worried for pvp in p101 at this point. Ratbeard says that he hasn't balanced the game for pvp yet but I don't see as swash needing to be aoe-proof in pve so idk what else this could be for. The things in the past have been able to be defeated by strategizing, butI honestly see no way to stop a swash with already high damage/armor penetration who can double the damage output on every single attack he/she does. Musketeers can spam bombs to try and scare the swashbuckler away, but even that wouldn't be very effective considering they get alert talent(50% off trap damage). Scent will probably becomes a very optimal piece of gear for anyone who doesn't just switch, however ranged units, such as zeena and Bonnie, that have been black fogged will still do a number on anyone and are just as untouchable as swashes. Even when attempting to take down the swash as quickly as possible, the hidden powers can be used defensively to avoid being attacked for extremely long periods. I know others will say, "You just have to adjust your strategy to beat them," but I've been trying to find strategies in test realm for hours on and . This power change seems like the anti-ranged pirate change. With already low health and armor, a musketeer(and witch doctor especially) had the ability to deal good damage from a distance before being reached. Now one of their key advantages has been completely factored out when going against swashes. I know I must sound like the 'Negative Nancy' that thinks anything that causes a player to strategize should be nerfed, but I truly believe this is different. If another person has a strategy to stop 3 copies(if they farm the new tower, they can have up to 10) of 5 round invulnerability, then I'm EXTREMELY open to suggestions and would love for them to share it with me.

Brian Holystone 65 Brian Holystone 65

Gunner's Mate
Dec 29, 2012
213
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
As you all should know, test realm is now open. With some impressive new gear and stats, as well as the massive change being that swashbucklers will no longer be unhidden when hit with an AoE, meaning the only way for them to be unhidden is for them to attack, and a major change with all buckler companions, they all have alert rank 1 by default, -50% off all bombs and traps.
I think swashbucklers will have a definite increase in pvp. The gear from moo manchu's dungeon (weapon especially) gives the flanking epic, 220 base damage. 50% armor penetration (incredible! No buccaneer fear!) and the power "Black Fog" which is the group hide.
I'm sure that we'll be seeing more swashbuckler teams in pvp.
But is it overpowered? My main character is a swashbuckler and i was always fond of them, but i fear this change may be too much. We'll find out once ranked pvp is out though.
"swashbucklers will no longer be unhidden when hit with an AoE, meaning the only way for them to be unhidden is for them to attack, "

Not true. The scent ability will allow hidden to be removed either 1 or 2 spaces from the target.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
208
The pet Dinolizard has Scent 2, a power which removes hidden for two squares around the pet for the entire game.

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
The pet Dinolizard has Scent 2, a power which removes hidden for two squares around the pet for the entire game.
We shouldn't have to rely on pets to survive

Gunner's Mate
Dec 29, 2012
213
zuto4011a on Aug 20, 2014 wrote:
We shouldn't have to rely on pets to survive
You don't have to. Gear gives the same ability to stop Swashbuckler hidden.

I would recommend against spending all your time complaining on these boards about how Swashbucklers are overpowered in PvP, and spend more time attempting to get the pet or gear that negates the hidden ability.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
208
Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
960
If Ratbeard says he hasn't balanced the game for pvp yet maybe swashbucklers are the first unit to be worked on. There will be changes to come to the rest of the classes I'm sure. Why would he want EVERYONE to want to change to one class? That would make the game really boring. How do you know privateers won't get scent as another team epic or a buff? How do you know there won't be more ways to charm? Or otherwise turn the tide? Don't panic.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2010
52
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 21, 2014 wrote:
If Ratbeard says he hasn't balanced the game for pvp yet maybe swashbucklers are the first unit to be worked on. There will be changes to come to the rest of the classes I'm sure. Why would he want EVERYONE to want to change to one class? That would make the game really boring. How do you know privateers won't get scent as another team epic or a buff? How do you know there won't be more ways to charm? Or otherwise turn the tide? Don't panic.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Actually, Privateers getting scent would make a lot of sense, so it probably will come eventually. Add seeing more talents and higher levels to the ever-growing list of reasons to want Book 15.