Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers, OP. Again

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 21, 2012
Alright so I wanted to PvP on my Privateer for a bit and just with the first round The opponent decided to use black fog and move all of his companions towards me
I had no choice than using fortress on one companion and next round 2 of my companions are dead.
Faced the same opponent again and after he used his black fog, Moved, I was able to fortress Bonnie Anne and Marchioness, Then he decided to kill my Wagyu JUST in one assassin strike hit. Just one and all of his health were down.
I don't know why Swashbucklers should be too overpowered that much when i can BARELY be able to shield my good companion and absorb myself?

I'm a Swashbuckler too, And i think this is a bit unfair. Black Fog should be weak either at damage or the rounds where you can hide in PvP.
Assassin's strike can hit with 1238 Damage with fog and Wagyu's health so bad and small, If 1238 Damage can hit Wagyu's 1980 health, This means that there is a very low chance for him or any other companion to survive. If you're also lucky and the opponent's hit did not critical.

Please again, Request to Ratbeard, Black fog and Assassin's Strike should slow down a bit in PvP. This isn't going well. I'm using the same strategy with every other school and it works but Swashbucklers. And I don't want to use the Terracotta warriors and the scorpion strategy since it would be unfair match. I don't have any of them anyway.

Thank you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Smart Logan West on Aug 15, 2015 wrote:
Alright so I wanted to PvP on my Privateer for a bit and just with the first round The opponent decided to use black fog and move all of his companions towards me
I had no choice than using fortress on one companion and next round 2 of my companions are dead.
Faced the same opponent again and after he used his black fog, Moved, I was able to fortress Bonnie Anne and Marchioness, Then he decided to kill my Wagyu JUST in one assassin strike hit. Just one and all of his health were down.
I don't know why Swashbucklers should be too overpowered that much when i can BARELY be able to shield my good companion and absorb myself?

I'm a Swashbuckler too, And i think this is a bit unfair. Black Fog should be weak either at damage or the rounds where you can hide in PvP.
Assassin's strike can hit with 1238 Damage with fog and Wagyu's health so bad and small, If 1238 Damage can hit Wagyu's 1980 health, This means that there is a very low chance for him or any other companion to survive. If you're also lucky and the opponent's hit did not critical.

Please again, Request to Ratbeard, Black fog and Assassin's Strike should slow down a bit in PvP. This isn't going well. I'm using the same strategy with every other school and it works but Swashbucklers. And I don't want to use the Terracotta warriors and the scorpion strategy since it would be unfair match. I don't have any of them anyway.

Thank you.
Oh look another "Swashbuckler - Black Fog" post, what an original surprise! Why didn't you train Wagyu in FS3?

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013
I agree with you, swashbucklers need some penalties with their op powers. Many ideas have been suggested, alas, Ratbeard hasn't focused on changes to these powers. He only suggested changing your own playing style. For now, maybe Privateer isn't the class you want to PvP on. I myself play on Privateer and find Swashbucklers a bit of a challenge.

Overall, good luck in the halls.

~Clever Finnigan Voss~

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
coconut pirate on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:
I agree with you, swashbucklers need some penalties with their op powers. Many ideas have been suggested, alas, Ratbeard hasn't focused on changes to these powers. He only suggested changing your own playing style. For now, maybe Privateer isn't the class you want to PvP on. I myself play on Privateer and find Swashbucklers a bit of a challenge.

~Clever Finnigan Voss~
FS3, QD3 removes our fog, this in turn removes our x2 damage. Is no one paying attention to these changes? If you're not training or using these new changes or using the auto talents to expose hidden swashbucklers; then its no wonder that you're losing to swashbucklers.

Ensign
Oct 22, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
FS3, QD3 removes our fog, this in turn removes our x2 damage. Is no one paying attention to these changes? If you're not training or using these new changes or using the auto talents to expose hidden swashbucklers; then its no wonder that you're losing to swashbucklers.
Yes! Train into FS3 and QD3 so you can MAYBE cancel black fog if the swashbuckler is foolish enough to hit melee with melee and gun with gun while swashbucklers don't have to worry about all that and can freely use those 3 epic slots into something else since they can counter their own fog with fog.

Can you tell me, please, what other powers counters itself when someone uses that same power?
I honestly don't know.

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
Musket No Teer on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
Yes! Train into FS3 and QD3 so you can MAYBE cancel black fog if the swashbuckler is foolish enough to hit melee with melee and gun with gun while swashbucklers don't have to worry about all that and can freely use those 3 epic slots into something else since they can counter their own fog with fog.

Can you tell me, please, what other powers counters itself when someone uses that same power?
I honestly don't know.
Hmm, how about that Shadow Step from those rain shades, or running away with one companion as bait ? Actually, since not all SB companions have Relentless 3, we tend to forget about BladeStorm. If you set up your companions in a square one space apart, SB companions (and pirates) are prone to flanking and BladeStorm. Ratbeard now has FS3 and HtL3, which is quite deadly speaking from experience.

Now you honestly know .

Ensign
May 21, 2012
First of all First Strike 3 Isn't that helpful when you have Riposte 3, Relentless 2 and Bladestorm. So you're saying i should train him First strike 3 and leave Riposte 3 and Bladestorm?
Again, All of you, Swashbucklers, Your Black fog is so tough more than you think and adding more penalties for Black fog in PvP or Reducing the Fog damage can do such a very good balance to the PvP

You can't make any strategies to break the fog and first strike ruining your fog doesn't make any sense.
My post isn't original but can do some changes to fog and it's weapon power if Ratbeard can reduce the damage and change how does it work in PvP.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Smart Logan West on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:
First of all First Strike 3 Isn't that helpful when you have Riposte 3, Relentless 2 and Bladestorm. So you're saying i should train him First strike 3 and leave Riposte 3 and Bladestorm?
Again, All of you, Swashbucklers, Your Black fog is so tough more than you think and adding more penalties for Black fog in PvP or Reducing the Fog damage can do such a very good balance to the PvP

You can't make any strategies to break the fog and first strike ruining your fog doesn't make any sense.
My post isn't original but can do some changes to fog and it's weapon power if Ratbeard can reduce the damage and change how does it work in PvP.
Not going to happen, Logan. And yes FS3 is working as it should and has given a penalty ( removing the x2 damage ). This what players have asked for - now you have it. It's not perfect; excise me, but who promised perfect?
You need to work and develop a strategy. Keep practicing and try new combos. If you keep going into a 1v1 or a BR with the same strategy over and over again, getting the same results, then its you and NOT the power that is to blame.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
coconut pirate on Aug 16, 2015 wrote:

~Clever Finnigan Voss~
Am i the only privateer who actually enjoys fighting swashbucklers (as long as its not harry)

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
First off, you can't RELY on this because fun thing in PVP is you can actually play SMART, I know a surprise huh? Now of course you could use my amazing Barricade strategy but you can TOTALLY JUMP OVER THOSE, right? Like you tested that, huh... Oh lets get started with round 2.

Round 2:
You can target enemies with others who don't have FS3/QD3 to stop your Nausica/Fan/etc so you can easily just bring Nausica to get around Wagyu. Also bringing an all FS3/QD3 team means you give up top tier companions for something easily COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE!

Round 3:
Swashbucklers aren't OP - Make a scent 3 pet, use Raise Barricade, Veng 3 OP

Gg, thanks for the match, adios amigos, hasta la-vista baby I'll be back.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Hello Logan,

I faced a Privy in PvP and he had "not so original but it serves the purpose" strategy. I am WD, but I also saw that strategy against Swash it gi and it gives awesome results!

He was using Beast Banner, Scorpions, Terror Cottas and Baar (his summons are also affected by beast Banner).

The battle board was swarmed with creatures, and if Swash wanted to move toward opponent he would need to take out the creatures and thus remove his hidden. Brilliant, right?

I was thinking doing the same strategy, but it is just not my thing. I like that strategy, but I prefer to be more involved with my companions in game.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009

Thank you.
For starters there are certain companions that aren't viable in PvP ATM just like in any competitive game the meta changes and depending on what's strong certain things shouldn't be used if you want to win. Also you should be using first strike 3 on any swash your willing to bring in remember adapt to the meta if you know how strong swashbucklers are be prepare to give up a unit if your swash can't even be useful outside of fodder don't use him you can't save all your companions prioritize the ones that will give you more. I find using espirit with a first strike 3 combination helps your swash survive

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
First off, you can't RELY on this because fun thing in PVP is you can actually play SMART, I know a surprise huh? Now of course you could use my amazing Barricade strategy but you can TOTALLY JUMP OVER THOSE, right? Like you tested that, huh... Oh lets get started with round 2.

Round 2:
You can target enemies with others who don't have FS3/QD3 to stop your Nausica/Fan/etc so you can easily just bring Nausica to get around Wagyu. Also bringing an all FS3/QD3 team means you give up top tier companions for something easily COMPLETELY AVOIDABLE!

Round 3:

Like, yeah, I did totally test this, FeistyOrange, not only can I , a humble buckler, Jump a barricade but El Toro and Fan can also. And I know I can do it, BECAUSE I'VE DONE IT!
You and the others complaining about fog, miss the point entirely - use what you know about the buckler class and the tools KI has given to combat it.
All I'm seeing from you guys isn't about strategy at all just a bunch of negativity "This won't work", "we have to give up our usual companions & meta and change!" "I have to sacrifice a companion to bring them out of hide!" all this is about demanding KI to give you an easy victory!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Thank you.
I've been facing a lot of opponents who are using companions with First Strike 3 and it is a good counter to Fog. Also, Wagyu's health can go much higher than 1980. Maybe you should reset him. You sound like you want one blanket strategy that works on all classes. Maybe try leaving your comfort zone and try something new. My Buckler can't use the same strategy against all classes, so why should your pirate be able to?

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Musket No Teer on Aug 17, 2015 wrote:

I honestly don't know.
Yes you're right when you say that MAYBE it will cancel Fog. What makes all of you Buckler haters think that there should be a magic wand you can wave that cancels our signature power? Also, it has nothing to do with a Buckler being foolish enough to hit companions trained to FS3 and QD3 because if that's what you have, the Buckler really doesn't have a choice now do they.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
zuto4011a on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
Am i the only privateer who actually enjoys fighting swashbucklers (as long as its not harry)
I know you enjoy fighting me lol. But anyway...is that a confession there, Robert? Are you saying that only one of the top Bucklers in the game is of any concern to you? Hmm. So there are ways to overcome Bucklers and their pesky Fog after all, eh? Maybe you should help out by giving a few tips to those who seem to be struggling against this impossible foe known as...The Swashbuckler. I think I also heard that a Musketeer was one of the first players to make it to Champion. So even Muskets can beat Bucklers and their Fog? Wow. Who'd a thunk it.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
TechnomagePvP on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Yeah I encountered your Barricade strategy. To bad I always think of what I should have done an hour after the match is over. But good for you. It's good to see a Witch that hasn't just given up. I'm not a top tier player yet, but you took care of me easy enough. Unfortunately for me, I'm pretty sure we'll meet again, but hey, you don't learn unless you face the best and that's what I want to do. Thanks for the lesson

Ensign
Mar 18, 2015
anecorbie on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
Like, yeah, I did totally test this, FeistyOrange, not only can I , a humble buckler, Jump a barricade but El Toro and Fan can also. And I know I can do it, BECAUSE I'VE DONE IT!
You and the others complaining about fog, miss the point entirely - use what you know about the buckler class and the tools KI has given to combat it.
All I'm seeing from you guys isn't about strategy at all just a bunch of negativity "This won't work", "we have to give up our usual companions & meta and change!" "I have to sacrifice a companion to bring them out of hide!" all this is about demanding KI to give you an easy victory!
You definitely cannot jump a barricade in PVP (at least that was the case in Battle Royale).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Aquilus99 on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
You definitely cannot jump a barricade in PVP (at least that was the case in Battle Royale).
Then it must be a glitch because I've jumped a barricade in at least 2 1v1 PVP matches. I've jumped them and I don't care what anyone says - I've done it, end of story.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
Then it must be a glitch because I've jumped a barricade in at least 2 1v1 PVP matches. I've jumped them and I don't care what anyone says - I've done it, end of story.
Even in Battle Royale, two bucklers and fan flanders all jumped over my barricade

safe for me to say you can jump over them with the jump talent

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 18, 2015 wrote:
Hey anecorbie I'd just want to let you know that the jump talent will not let you jump over the musket power barricade not sure why you think it lets you? Are you getting the explosive barrels mixed up with the barricade or did you jump over a box? Because i know you can't jump over them.
Quick harry abbott
Pvp champion

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
You can't Junp over them at all they must be getting them confused with kegs because those are the only we can jump through besides boxes luis

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
the midnightpirate on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
Hey anecorbie I'd just want to let you know that the jump talent will not let you jump over the musket power barricade not sure why you think it lets you? Are you getting the explosive barrels mixed up with the barricade or did you jump over a box? Because i know you can't jump over them.
Quick harry abbott
Pvp champion
It was a metal barricade from the Raise Barricade power, I have a maxed Musketeer so I know the difference between the barrels and a barricade; I'm not confused or mixing up that power with another.
There seems to be a strange glitch with this power that sometimes lets you jump over or not. Because you "know" you can't does that mean you haven't tried?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Myhomie541 on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
You can't Junp over them at all they must be getting them confused with kegs because those are the only we can jump through besides boxes luis
Not at all, I know the difference between barrels and metal barriers; I have a maxed Musketeer and there is NO way that these two powers can be confused, as they look entirely different.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 19, 2015 wrote:
It was a metal barricade from the Raise Barricade power, I have a maxed Musketeer so I know the difference between the barrels and a barricade; I'm not confused or mixing up that power with another.
There seems to be a strange glitch with this power that sometimes lets you jump over or not. Because you "know" you can't does that mean you haven't tried?
I know for a fact that you can't jump over them and yes I have tired it if you are jumping over them thats a bug witch would not make sense because then every one could jump over them. Next time your online remind me to show you how it works I have a pvp match now so cya