Ship PvP Preparation

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 04, 2012
2
First off, my main account on the forums here "Technomage" can't talk because I have yet to renew his membership. However, this is my "John Walker" account so I just want point that out beforehand in case anyone is wondering who I am as an individual.

So. Ship PvP, while I'm not a huge fanboy of it. I think it was going to happen eventually. Now currently, while I am absolutely happy for those who do want this feature, the reason I am personally not so excited for it compared to all the other amazing additions discussed in the recent Producer's letter is due to some issues with the Ship system entirely.

First off, it's a repetitive cycle. The reason people don't enjoy ship quests isn't due to not liking ships. Its because the system has no strategy or any level of depth to it. While picking your targets, teaming up on something, etc. That part of land pvp is why it is enjoyed. You can't have pvp without depth. This is why pet pvp in Pirates compared to Wiz sees no competition being involved. There is no system in depth with it. Currently the most there is to the Ship system is the gear aspect. It becomes quickly an actual Pay to Win system. The strongest ship in the game is the max lvl Halloween ship iirc. So that becomes an immediate issue. Since the system would be a "power based" system solely based on who has the strongest ship and equipment. Now if this is how you want Ship pvp to be, that's fine. I don't know exactly what I would like for a Ship pvp system if you were to add depth into it. So I won't go into it because the honest truth is I have no specific ideas as of right now. Though all I can say is if you don't want it to just be flat out a power based system, you will need to add some extra layers to it.

So what is this power based system? Simple. It's a system based only on the equipment/level of your items. It has been proven that every one of these systems are heavily P2W. Pirate101 is already before anything has been even tested, in the category of this looking at what we CURRENTLY have. The current ships available to everyone for starters are weaker than the EVENT EXCLUSIVE Halloween CROWN SHOP ONLY ship. That is an issue. I don't agree with nerfing an item player payed for. So I would like to see a couple of things done if you decide to leave the system as it currently is for testing and use the Power based system.

  • Strengthen the stats of all the current gold ships from different worlds
  • Add in new ship items/powers that are as strong/stronger than the Crown Shop ones and make them dropped from boss ships around the spiral
  • DO NOT make pvp reward ships/equipment, or if you do. Make sure they're on the SAME power level as the others. Make them mostly for experience wise.
Power base systems can be made fair and fun for everyone both competitive and casual. However you have to strictly keep things to a certain power level. Power creep can't be done for this system unless you power creep EVERYTHING. So please be wary of this.

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
520
jwalkerblue on Aug 23, 2017 wrote:
First off, my main account on the forums here "Technomage" can't talk because I have yet to renew his membership. However, this is my "John Walker" account so I just want point that out beforehand in case anyone is wondering who I am as an individual.

So. Ship PvP, while I'm not a huge fanboy of it. I think it was going to happen eventually. Now currently, while I am absolutely happy for those who do want this feature, the reason I am personally not so excited for it compared to all the other amazing additions discussed in the recent Producer's letter is due to some issues with the Ship system entirely.

First off, it's a repetitive cycle. The reason people don't enjoy ship quests isn't due to not liking ships. Its because the system has no strategy or any level of depth to it. While picking your targets, teaming up on something, etc. That part of land pvp is why it is enjoyed. You can't have pvp without depth. This is why pet pvp in Pirates compared to Wiz sees no competition being involved. There is no system in depth with it. Currently the most there is to the Ship system is the gear aspect. It becomes quickly an actual Pay to Win system. The strongest ship in the game is the max lvl Halloween ship iirc. So that becomes an immediate issue. Since the system would be a "power based" system solely based on who has the strongest ship and equipment. Now if this is how you want Ship pvp to be, that's fine. I don't know exactly what I would like for a Ship pvp system if you were to add depth into it. So I won't go into it because the honest truth is I have no specific ideas as of right now. Though all I can say is if you don't want it to just be flat out a power based system, you will need to add some extra layers to it.

So what is this power based system? Simple. It's a system based only on the equipment/level of your items. It has been proven that every one of these systems are heavily P2W. Pirate101 is already before anything has been even tested, in the category of this looking at what we CURRENTLY have. The current ships available to everyone for starters are weaker than the EVENT EXCLUSIVE Halloween CROWN SHOP ONLY ship. That is an issue. I don't agree with nerfing an item player payed for. So I would like to see a couple of things done if you decide to leave the system as it currently is for testing and use the Power based system.

  • Strengthen the stats of all the current gold ships from different worlds
  • Add in new ship items/powers that are as strong/stronger than the Crown Shop ones and make them dropped from boss ships around the spiral
  • DO NOT make pvp reward ships/equipment, or if you do. Make sure they're on the SAME power level as the others. Make them mostly for experience wise.
Power base systems can be made fair and fun for everyone both competitive and casual. However you have to strictly keep things to a certain power level. Power creep can't be done for this system unless you power creep EVERYTHING. So please be wary of this.
wait, I have a pair of glasses that are called "techomage's glasses" that isn't based on you I'm guessing?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9113
thedragonpirate245... on Aug 24, 2017 wrote:
wait, I have a pair of glasses that are called "techomage's glasses" that isn't based on you I'm guessing?
Bishop is a "technomage" by the fact he uses technology-based magic ( plus he's a clockwork ).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9113
jwalkerblue on Aug 23, 2017 wrote:
First off, my main account on the forums here "Technomage" can't talk because I have yet to renew his membership. However, this is my "John Walker" account so I just want point that out beforehand in case anyone is wondering who I am as an individual.

So. Ship PvP, while I'm not a huge fanboy of it. I think it was going to happen eventually. Now currently, while I am absolutely happy for those who do want this feature, the reason I am personally not so excited for it compared to all the other amazing additions discussed in the recent Producer's letter is due to some issues with the Ship system entirely.

First off, it's a repetitive cycle. The reason people don't enjoy ship quests isn't due to not liking ships. Its because the system has no strategy or any level of depth to it. While picking your targets, teaming up on something, etc. That part of land pvp is why it is enjoyed. You can't have pvp without depth. This is why pet pvp in Pirates compared to Wiz sees no competition being involved. There is no system in depth with it. Currently the most there is to the Ship system is the gear aspect. It becomes quickly an actual Pay to Win system. The strongest ship in the game is the max lvl Halloween ship iirc. So that becomes an immediate issue. Since the system would be a "power based" system solely based on who has the strongest ship and equipment. Now if this is how you want Ship pvp to be, that's fine. I don't know exactly what I would like for a Ship pvp system if you were to add depth into it. So I won't go into it because the honest truth is I have no specific ideas as of right now. Though all I can say is if you don't want it to just be flat out a power based system, you will need to add some extra layers to it.

So what is this power based system? Simple. It's a system based only on the equipment/level of your items. It has been proven that every one of these systems are heavily P2W. Pirate101 is already before anything has been even tested, in the category of this looking at what we CURRENTLY have. The current ships available to everyone for starters are weaker than the EVENT EXCLUSIVE Halloween CROWN SHOP ONLY ship. That is an issue. I don't agree with nerfing an item player payed for. So I would like to see a couple of things done if you decide to leave the system as it currently is for testing and use the Power based system.

  • Strengthen the stats of all the current gold ships from different worlds
  • Add in new ship items/powers that are as strong/stronger than the Crown Shop ones and make them dropped from boss ships around the spiral
  • DO NOT make pvp reward ships/equipment, or if you do. Make sure they're on the SAME power level as the others. Make them mostly for experience wise.
Power base systems can be made fair and fun for everyone both competitive and casual. However you have to strictly keep things to a certain power level. Power creep can't be done for this system unless you power creep EVERYTHING. So please be wary of this.
You've pin-pointed the exact reason why I'm not thrilled by the idea of Ship PVP ( & I own a max-level Halloween Galleon. )
I agree with all your suggestions, but let's wait and see what KI has done, they may even already thought of your objections and implemented your suggestions ( They may even ban Crown Shop ships & gear. )
BTW, good to see you posting again, Technomage!

Captain
Apr 24, 2016
520
anecorbie on Aug 25, 2017 wrote:
Bishop is a "technomage" by the fact he uses technology-based magic ( plus he's a clockwork ).
hehe, I knew. I was making a joke.

Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
53
I've only tried out the ship pvp a couple of times, but I agree with most of what you're saying, jwalkerblue. I don't know to what extent the Crown Shop ships and gear are actually better, but I do like that it seems that the ship itself doesn't matter but that the gear does (making only rafts and Monquistan ships at a big disadvantage).

I think that a Pirate's nautical level needs to factor in somehow - maybe in the figuring of the power of the ship itself (it should have no more bearing on the gear itself than it does now though)

I too don't necessarily want to see more powerful ships or ship gear as pvp reward, but I definitely do want to see new different ships and gear. In fact that's what I'm hoping for most once it's fully implemented. If ship pvp is how we get Armada ships, double-hulled Waponi canoes, or Cool Ranch steamboats, then great!

Keep on making this game wonderful, KI!
_____

Canny Matthew Tolliver
Able Caleb Tolliver
Dark Dante Tolliver