Requesting advice with practice points

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
16
I'm currently a level 50 Swashbuckler with a couple practice points building up that I don't know what to do with. What next step do you think would do the most good for me?

Currently I have:

From Buccaneer (for a little extra armor)
Mighty Charge
Smashy Weapons 1
Big Choppy Weapons 1
Armored 1

From Withdoctor (for poison damage)
Staffy Weapons 1
Spooky 1
Lucky 1
Staffy Weapons 2
Spooky 2

From Privateer (for increased dodge)
Slashy Weapons 1
Tough 1
Elusive 1

Do you think using 5 points to get Musketeer's Wind Spirit for +50% agility would be a good next step, or do you think a Swashbuckler would benefit more from something else like a little more armor or some healing spells like Rouse and/or Refresh? (I didn't continue with the armor or lucky talents because it seems like people and enemies hit so hard at this level that a reduction of 4 or 5 points hardly mean anything.) But I would appreciate your input whatever it may be!

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Vicious J on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
I'm currently a level 50 Swashbuckler with a couple practice points building up that I don't know what to do with. What next step do you think would do the most good for me?

Currently I have:

From Buccaneer (for a little extra armor)
Mighty Charge
Smashy Weapons 1
Big Choppy Weapons 1
Armored 1

From Withdoctor (for poison damage)
Staffy Weapons 1
Spooky 1
Lucky 1
Staffy Weapons 2
Spooky 2

From Privateer (for increased dodge)
Slashy Weapons 1
Tough 1
Elusive 1

Do you think using 5 points to get Musketeer's Wind Spirit for +50% agility would be a good next step, or do you think a Swashbuckler would benefit more from something else like a little more armor or some healing spells like Rouse and/or Refresh? (I didn't continue with the armor or lucky talents because it seems like people and enemies hit so hard at this level that a reduction of 4 or 5 points hardly mean anything.) But I would appreciate your input whatever it may be!
Here's some advice:
Firstly, get the heal rouse. Musketeers' wind spirit is not worth it, it only last 5 rounds and is a miniscule agility boost. Extra armor from buccaneer is ideal, but i think getting rouse is better. Train slashy weapons 2, tough 2 and then elusive 2. It may not seem like much, but the extra square of movement can make the difference from being in range or out of range of your opponent, essentially deciding the match. You'd have one more point after getting all of those talents, which i suggest should be valor's shield from the privateer trainer. With the upcoming update, it will now be 10 rounds, and -25% incoming damage, which is a VERY good deal for just one point. You can use it to protect yourself in pvp matches, making you survive longer and more formidable an opponent.
Good luck in the future!

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5743
I would really encourage you to get rouse AND refresh. Also the slashy weapons.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
anecorbie on Apr 23, 2014 wrote:
I would really encourage you to get rouse AND refresh. Also the slashy weapons.
Getting rouse and refresh would take all 5 points, plus refresh is a very weak heal for someone who's not a witchdoctor or privateer so it's not very reliable.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
DeathWiz101378 on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
Getting rouse and refresh would take all 5 points, plus refresh is a very weak heal for someone who's not a witchdoctor or privateer so it's not very reliable.
Rouse has saved my or a companion's bacon more than once. With his Spooky boost, heals like Rouse & Refresh will be even stronger.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
45
Well you shouldn't spread around points on separate classes, you get less of a bonus overall. Now if you could reset and focus on just one, that would be lovely. Not saying you should though, but it would be a good idea. Reason why is due to the fact you're a swashbuckler, you use melee weapons, correct? I myself got all the stat boosting talents from privateer first (That elusive 2 will REALLY help you, trust me.) and then onto buccaneer stat boosters. all of them as well. Then I got vicious charge and the shield bubble (keep forgetting the name because there's 3) but then again you CAN get rouse, but it is what it says it is, a very minor heal, at most it will heal 1/4 of anyone's health, and that's if you're lucky. Refresh, that's 1/12. So don't waste it on the privateer spells, especially being a swashbuckler, will is our weakest stat. Having stat boosts from both buccaneer AND privateer can pretty much let you have any agility/strength weapon set without much drawback. Including that classic blades of shade weapon set I see a LOT.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
45
DuncanRoland The E... on Apr 24, 2014 wrote:
Well you shouldn't spread around points on separate classes, you get less of a bonus overall. Now if you could reset and focus on just one, that would be lovely. Not saying you should though, but it would be a good idea. Reason why is due to the fact you're a swashbuckler, you use melee weapons, correct? I myself got all the stat boosting talents from privateer first (That elusive 2 will REALLY help you, trust me.) and then onto buccaneer stat boosters. all of them as well. Then I got vicious charge and the shield bubble (keep forgetting the name because there's 3) but then again you CAN get rouse, but it is what it says it is, a very minor heal, at most it will heal 1/4 of anyone's health, and that's if you're lucky. Refresh, that's 1/12. So don't waste it on the privateer spells, especially being a swashbuckler, will is our weakest stat. Having stat boosts from both buccaneer AND privateer can pretty much let you have any agility/strength weapon set without much drawback. Including that classic blades of shade weapon set I see a LOT.
The reason as to why I say this is because you want all of the powers you get worth their money, using points just to get to 1 particular is never good, trust me, I learned the hard way in games with upgrade trees and that lovely junk. It makes gameplay MUCH better in the way you see fit.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
16
Thank you for the good advice. I really appreciate it!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Vicious J on Apr 22, 2014 wrote:
I'm currently a level 50 Swashbuckler with a couple practice points building up that I don't know what to do with. What next step do you think would do the most good for me?

Currently I have:

From Buccaneer (for a little extra armor)
Mighty Charge
Smashy Weapons 1
Big Choppy Weapons 1
Armored 1

From Withdoctor (for poison damage)
Staffy Weapons 1
Spooky 1
Lucky 1
Staffy Weapons 2
Spooky 2

From Privateer (for increased dodge)
Slashy Weapons 1
Tough 1
Elusive 1

Do you think using 5 points to get Musketeer's Wind Spirit for +50% agility would be a good next step, or do you think a Swashbuckler would benefit more from something else like a little more armor or some healing spells like Rouse and/or Refresh? (I didn't continue with the armor or lucky talents because it seems like people and enemies hit so hard at this level that a reduction of 4 or 5 points hardly mean anything.) But I would appreciate your input whatever it may be!
Hey Vicious!

Remember, the Test Realm will eventually carry on, so you can reset for free, plus the lower leveled buffs will last longer. However, remember the Swashbuckler only companion has a buff that boosts agility, so keep that in mind.

As for what to spend it on, I spent it on the following in Test:

Buccaneer-
Smashy Weapons 1
Big Choppy Weapons
Armored 1
Smashy Weapons 2
Armored 2
( Did it to get that extra armor to help resist damage from melee )

Witchdoctor-
Same as yours, except I also got Lucky 2.

Privateer-
Same as you, except I also got Slashy Weapons 2, Elusive 2, and Tough 2.

My reasons are pretty much like yours, except for Privateer I also trained Slashy to combine with Slashy/Stabby Combos.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2010
16
Again, thanks for the advice. I guess I was just avoiding Elusive 2 because its cost would be 3 more practice points, just for the benifit of being able to move one more square only when I'm below 50% health. It just didn't seem worth it to me. But DuncanRoland's post may be convincing me otherwise... I still can't decide.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
111
Hey! I'm sure other people have posted with some great advice! On my swashbuckler I went with all privateer, ( except spooky 1 and 2)buccaneer and the first power from the which doctor class. They most likely have better advice though.

I hope this helped even at the slightest bit.
The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson 65