Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ranking Issues

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
So, I've been playing a lot of PvP on my musket lately, and I was doing quite well for a long while. in fact, I had a 15 game win-streak going on, with only 17 games played. Then, today happened.

I faced 4 consecutive champions. Well, 3 consecutive champions, one of them twice. Now, while i may be a little salty about my win streak ending (each of those four battles was a blowout-loss, by the way) I can get over that i lost. my issue is that I was a hero (score of 226 or so) at the time. To be champion, you need a score of 400.

My issue is that i was going up against people with scores that were roughly double mine. I'm sure its understandable that this is extremely frustrating, right? if I'm a hero, i want to go up against other Heroes. I want the champions to go up against other champions. I don't like being steam rolled by players that probably have double or triple the amount of PvP experience that I do. It. Is. Not. Fun.

Now, I was told whilst whining about Privys using Nausica/Scratch Cheese in the PvP lobby that having a high win - loss ratio meant that you were more likely to be matched with higher ranking players. That is fine by me; but if thats the case, then shouldn't a win streak also get me more points per win, so that my PvP rank is still anywhere near whatever value that represents the caliber of opponent I face? If the game says I'm fit to fight champions, (which i totally wasn't for the record) then shouldn't the game also assign me a rank, (and the rewards, more importantly ) fitting of that rank?

my 15 game win streak has been replaced with a 4 game losing streak, and while I understand and have no issues with the game making me fight champion level players, I feel like my rewards for competing should at least be comparable to the ostensible challenge.

Or, perhaps there was simply no other available players and I got the short end of the stick against some skilled pirates. I guess it happens, and I feel my point stands.

As for my point, allow me to condense it into this statement: The reward/potential for reward of any event/action in any game should always fit the challenge of the said event/action. PvE bosses drop top tier loot. High ranking matches drop tons of scrip. A medium ranking player, if made to fight a high ranking player, should either receive a reward comparable to the challenge or should not be made to fight that player.

Thanks for reading.
-Matthew Walker

Ensign
Jun 02, 2013
It was even worse for me...

On my Witchdoctor, whom I do Ranked PVP the most on, got even more extreme match ups then you did.

I'm a Gladiator currently, and am going back and forth to Warrior, 'cause as soon as I get to Gladiator, I end up getting matched up with extremely good PVPers, one of which was a Champion (From what I know, who knows.). Plus, when I PVPed at a lower level the level difference was huge. I ended up facing Level 65 people at Level 40. No joke.

From,

Sly Colin Voss, Lv. 65
Charming Quinn Brewster, Lv. 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Blixet on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
So, I've been playing a lot of PvP on my musket lately, and I was doing quite well for a long while. in fact, I had a 15 game win-streak going on, with only 17 games played. Then, today happened.

I faced 4 consecutive champions. Well, 3 consecutive champions, one of them twice. Now, while i may be a little salty about my win streak ending (each of those four battles was a blowout-loss, by the way) I can get over that i lost. my issue is that I was a hero (score of 226 or so) at the time. To be champion, you need a score of 400.

My issue is that i was going up against people with scores that were roughly double mine. I'm sure its understandable that this is extremely frustrating, right? if I'm a hero, i want to go up against other Heroes. I want the champions to go up against other champions. I don't like being steam rolled by players that probably have double or triple the amount of PvP experience that I do. It. Is. Not. Fun.

Now, I was told whilst whining about Privys using Nausica/Scratch Cheese in the PvP lobby that having a high win - loss ratio meant that you were more likely to be matched with higher ranking players. That is fine by me; but if thats the case, then shouldn't a win streak also get me more points per win, so that my PvP rank is still anywhere near whatever value that represents the caliber of opponent I face? If the game says I'm fit to fight champions, (which i totally wasn't for the record) then shouldn't the game also assign me a rank, (and the rewards, more importantly ) fitting of that rank?

my 15 game win streak has been replaced with a 4 game losing streak, and while I understand and have no issues with the game making me fight champion level players, I feel like my rewards for competing should at least be comparable to the ostensible challenge.

Or, perhaps there was simply no other available players and I got the short end of the stick against some skilled pirates. I guess it happens, and I feel my point stands.

As for my point, allow me to condense it into this statement: The reward/potential for reward of any event/action in any game should always fit the challenge of the said event/action. PvE bosses drop top tier loot. High ranking matches drop tons of scrip. A medium ranking player, if made to fight a high ranking player, should either receive a reward comparable to the challenge or should not be made to fight that player.

Thanks for reading.
-Matthew Walker
It depends who is sitting in the queue waiting for a match up. Are you facing level 65 pirates regardless of their rank? Isn't it a fact that you and they have farmed the best gear? So how are you being outmatched? Does being a champion confer more strength, agility, dodge or armor according to rank? Or isn't it a fact that they are just like you in gear and experience?
The thing about the majority of champions is that they practice and PVP relentlessly to the exclusion of any other activity. In other words, you're facing the P101 equivalent of Olympic athletes.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Blixet on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:

Thanks for reading.
-Matthew Walker

Simply that statement above is what I think ended up happening. My guess is that those champion players were waiting in queue for over 30 minutes, or that champion player and yourself were the only two people in queue at the time pass the 200 rank.

Don't think there is anything KI can really do. If players don't play PvP, then queue times will be long and mismatches will happen often. Their system works if there is a decent number of players playing. No system will work perfectly if there is no one to play in it. This late into the Spring season anyone who wanted to reach Champion already probably did it or gave up on it, so they are probably doing something else.

My suggestion is to wait until after test realm update goes live. After players get through Valencia, I expect there to be a mini surge in players ranking up in PvP due both to the new update and the Summer PvP season starting. You should have no problem eventually finding matches against people your own skill level at that point.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 6, 2016 wrote:
It depends who is sitting in the queue waiting for a match up. Are you facing level 65 pirates regardless of their rank? Isn't it a fact that you and they have farmed the best gear? So how are you being outmatched? Does being a champion confer more strength, agility, dodge or armor according to rank? Or isn't it a fact that they are just like you in gear and experience?
The thing about the majority of champions is that they practice and PVP relentlessly to the exclusion of any other activity. In other words, you're facing the P101 equivalent of Olympic athletes.
I'm not saying that I didn't have a chance, or that I was outmatched (well, actually nausica does outmatch just about any companion, especially when buffed by a privy, but that's besides the point and obviously not going to be addressed by KI) I was very definitely outplayed in each of these situations. Yes, even the one i'm still salty over.

My point is that, even if I had won and they had lost, they would have received more scrip than I. The problem is not so much that it occurred, I understand that a low amount of players in the queue guarantees that things like that will happen. The problem is that the rewards simply don't fit the challenge. if x = 5, and y = 10, (variable being the player and number being their rank) then X v Y should reward X, even in a loss, with the amount of scrip that Y would get, to compensate for the uneven match. I also think that players that lose to opponents with a higher rank should lose less points than they would had they lost to someone of their own rank.

I kind of doubt that these changes would be seriously considered, but I think that they would objectively improve the PvP experience without ruining queue times for high ranking players.