Question For Ratbeard

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 21, 2008
50
[If this is the wrong forum, I apologize. Feel free to move it, of course, but do read my reasoning for posting it here]

On my last thread, Ratbeard noted that I was in the wrong section and format for a PvP discussion, so I've relocated my question and let it stand entirely on its own to allow as much space as needed for answering.

I'll reiterate that question - In PvP, companions like El Toro are used for their necessary powers (mainly to combat those of the opponent), so accuracy and dodge rates are very similar across the board. So, when Privateers use Battle Zeal in addition to other team boosts, it is practically impossible to hit them regularly. The answer I was offered said that that was combated by the fact that powers hit 100% of the time, and my repsonse was that, by that measure, all of the opponent's team was immune to everyone but me. Ratbeard noted that there were some undiscovered strategies to combat this. I've tried everything - stacking Call to Arms spells, using AoE powers, trying to isolate myself from the opponents to let the buffs run out, making use of dodge-reducing powers including my shots and El Toro and Bonnie's powers, etc. Nothing has been even moderately effective. I'd love to be enlightened as to how I might gain an edge against Privateers and their team, specifically with my companions, or how you (Ratbeard) plan to improve other classes to meet the bar set by Privateers.

Thank you!

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
308
Swordroll on Mar 28, 2013 wrote:
[If this is the wrong forum, I apologize. Feel free to move it, of course, but do read my reasoning for posting it here]

On my last thread, Ratbeard noted that I was in the wrong section and format for a PvP discussion, so I've relocated my question and let it stand entirely on its own to allow as much space as needed for answering.

I'll reiterate that question - In PvP, companions like El Toro are used for their necessary powers (mainly to combat those of the opponent), so accuracy and dodge rates are very similar across the board. So, when Privateers use Battle Zeal in addition to other team boosts, it is practically impossible to hit them regularly. The answer I was offered said that that was combated by the fact that powers hit 100% of the time, and my repsonse was that, by that measure, all of the opponent's team was immune to everyone but me. Ratbeard noted that there were some undiscovered strategies to combat this. I've tried everything - stacking Call to Arms spells, using AoE powers, trying to isolate myself from the opponents to let the buffs run out, making use of dodge-reducing powers including my shots and El Toro and Bonnie's powers, etc. Nothing has been even moderately effective. I'd love to be enlightened as to how I might gain an edge against Privateers and their team, specifically with my companions, or how you (Ratbeard) plan to improve other classes to meet the bar set by Privateers.

Thank you!
...
I'm a privateer ya know.

We get the boosts because we need them for our companions and because we are weaker dude.
On another thread people, except flarzedrago9, were basically saying "Weaken Privateers so wwe can beat them!" so please stop suggesting that privateers are overpowered. We are weaker in close combat alone, not to mention ranged combat so we got the boosts and companions.

Just deal with it!

Rat Beard Or One Eyed Jack Please just side with me on this. Plenty of people want to beat privateers so they basically either say "Weaken them so we can beat them!" or "Make us stronger and not them so we can beat them!" flarzedrago never said anything like that, he understood.

Petty Officer
Dec 21, 2008
50
noahdd on Mar 31, 2013 wrote:
...
I'm a privateer ya know.

We get the boosts because we need them for our companions and because we are weaker dude.
On another thread people, except flarzedrago9, were basically saying "Weaken Privateers so wwe can beat them!" so please stop suggesting that privateers are overpowered. We are weaker in close combat alone, not to mention ranged combat so we got the boosts and companions.

Just deal with it!

Rat Beard Or One Eyed Jack Please just side with me on this. Plenty of people want to beat privateers so they basically either say "Weaken them so we can beat them!" or "Make us stronger and not them so we can beat them!" flarzedrago never said anything like that, he understood.
I sure agree that Privateers shouldn't be changed, I'm just not sure about the other classes.

I also understand the nature of the class and that they're meant to be using these power-ups to improve their companions. The issue is that they can get gear that allows them to act with the power of a Swashbuckler, while being able to boost their and their companions' accuracy and dodge way beyond anything that can be touched by companions on the other end of the battlefield. Stack a couple Privateers in a match and it's game over.

It isn't that I just want to beat Privateer - I've beat my share. It's that Privateers are well beyond the capabilities of other classes as far as any player currently knows, and no one is just going to deal with that. Even Privateers have told me that Privateer are overpowered.

Ratbeard is telling me that there are actually a number of counter-strategies, but didn't answer the question because of space limitations in my last thread. So, I've explained my issues and how all of my potential solutions did not help. I'm asking Ratbeard, with as many posts as he needs, to enlighten me on these counter-strategies.

With his help, I may not even be calling for any changes, I just want to see what he has got in mind.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
noahdd on Mar 31, 2013 wrote:
...
I'm a privateer ya know.

We get the boosts because we need them for our companions and because we are weaker dude.
On another thread people, except flarzedrago9, were basically saying "Weaken Privateers so wwe can beat them!" so please stop suggesting that privateers are overpowered. We are weaker in close combat alone, not to mention ranged combat so we got the boosts and companions.

Just deal with it!

Rat Beard Or One Eyed Jack Please just side with me on this. Plenty of people want to beat privateers so they basically either say "Weaken them so we can beat them!" or "Make us stronger and not them so we can beat them!" flarzedrago never said anything like that, he understood.
Swordroll knows how you feel too. The majority of us do...

This is something we've seen on W101 in the past and today too. Of course everyone wants their class to have an edge in PvP, but there comes a point when they have too much of an edge. Privateers, while they are beatable, were given way too big an edge and it's obvious that something needs to change.

No one wants to make Privateers get nerfed to the point where they're completely useless in PvP, but they can't stay the way they are now. Nerfing isn't bad. You can't have a game last for a long time without nerfs. This is a major problem I've seen with W101 PvP community and I won't be surprised if this happens in P101 too. One nerf to a class won't ruin it (the nerf of buffs would effect any class with buffs not just Privateers).

Two Battle Zeals together stack. In total the group it effects gain an extra 100% dodge and accuracy bonus for ten turns, their opponents wouldn't stand a chance. It's either they buff the other classes so they do stand a better chance against Privateers or they bring Privateers down to the level of the other classes.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
539
Lucas Walker on Apr 1, 2013 wrote:
Swordroll knows how you feel too. The majority of us do...

This is something we've seen on W101 in the past and today too. Of course everyone wants their class to have an edge in PvP, but there comes a point when they have too much of an edge. Privateers, while they are beatable, were given way too big an edge and it's obvious that something needs to change.

No one wants to make Privateers get nerfed to the point where they're completely useless in PvP, but they can't stay the way they are now. Nerfing isn't bad. You can't have a game last for a long time without nerfs. This is a major problem I've seen with W101 PvP community and I won't be surprised if this happens in P101 too. One nerf to a class won't ruin it (the nerf of buffs would effect any class with buffs not just Privateers).

Two Battle Zeals together stack. In total the group it effects gain an extra 100% dodge and accuracy bonus for ten turns, their opponents wouldn't stand a chance. It's either they buff the other classes so they do stand a better chance against Privateers or they bring Privateers down to the level of the other classes.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander
hey ratbeard one last question WHY DID YOU LOSE YOUR HAND IN YOUR 3rd promo