Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

PVP in need of much improvement. (reasons & ideas)

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 17, 2011
Pvp in pirates has huge potential to be so much fun, unfortunately it is currently very lacking in a lot of things, including fun. First and foremost the wait to pvp due to the limit of people who can pvp in one pvp "house". Why not make pvp instanced like in wizard101? Queue and instance pvp. Go into pvp house, step on sigil, choose your color side assuming you are doin g a multiplayer match like the 2v2/3v3/4v4 in wiz101, or don't choose a color side if 1v1. Then be queued up like in wiz101 to find matches and once one is found go into a pvp instance like wiz101.
I know it can be done, the framework for it is already used in wiz101, just obviously needs tweaking to for the system to work in pirate101 as well. This would make pvp more fun, random, flexible, and available to more players at once.

Secondly rewards for pvp in pirates, or maybe more appropriately the lack of rewards for pvp in pirates. Personally I'm not currently seeing much, if any, reason/incentive to pvp in pirates as the abundance of rewards and incentives in wiz101. Any possibility these things are on the "to be added/addressed list for pirates 101? Hope so.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Also if this must be added there should be requirements to play based on level so a max level player can't be fighting against somebody who is level 6.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
I think the reason for Brawlin' Halls is to try and add more of a Piratical feel, having matches in Wizards has that feel of the game because we know Wizards are capable of teleporting from one world to another to face on another in combat and even spectating Wizards have that ability, whilst Pirates usually go to Taverns and have a huge rumble while others just sit there with a mug of rum and get dinner plus a show. I do feel like the queue is rather a long one to have just one match but I'm sure we'll either get used to it or have something similar to what Wizard101 has for PVP.

Well Ranked PVP for Pirate101 is in progress, so we have allot of time to think up of strategies till then, I personally find Pirate101's PVP style allot of fun which is reward enough fer me but I guess many would beg to differ.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Pirate101 will be improving PvP. I know that for sure. However I don't think that's a top priority for them right now. I don't like the rewards system you mentioned. I feel like that would make PvP less fun because people would get even madder when they got beat. Badges for doing PvP is good enough for me.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Dec 6, 2014 wrote:
Pirate101 will be improving PvP. I know that for sure. However I don't think that's a top priority for them right now. I don't like the rewards system you mentioned. I feel like that would make PvP less fun because people would get even madder when they got beat. Badges for doing PvP is good enough for me.
people like competitive play, and why not get a reward for beating another intelligent human being, that's an accomplishment worthy of a reward

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Well, what about if I make some boneheaded moves in combat and thus, in essence beat myself. I'm somewhat, mildly intelligent, so I should deserve a reward for eliminating me and causing my own downfall in battle.....maybe, perhaps? Just a wee joke of course (I'm only averagely intelligent).

I actually think rewarding players for engaging in something they enjoy is a great thing. I don't PvP, but I know many players enjoy it tremendously. I see no wrong in them being rewarded for doing well, especially at something they work hard at perfecting and also get great satisfaction out of competing in. Just as I would support PvE players getting some type of reward(s) for displaying great awareness and knowledge of the combat system. And also would not mind seeing some type of reward system to show appreciation for those with a greater monetary contribution and investment into the game.

Rewards are great and if we can earn them just by, engaging in "our own, personalized & individual kind of fun and dedicated play", then-- Game On!

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Well, like I said, I think that the only reward you should get is a badge for beating people. Not gold or scrip or whatever. I still think it would create unneeded tension whereas badges aren't as big of a deal.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Duke of Westminste... on Dec 10, 2014 wrote:
Well, like I said, I think that the only reward you should get is a badge for beating people. Not gold or scrip or whatever. I still think it would create unneeded tension whereas badges aren't as big of a deal.
I think rewards along the lines of weapon skins, mounts etc. would be fine. There should be no rewards that give the player an edge in combat though.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
In Ranked PVP in W101, competitors earn 'tickets', these can be used to purchase nifty items that are only found in ( for lack of a better word ) the arena shop. These items are usually housing trophies, I've seen a few. And even if you lose a ranked match, you get a ticket. Plus there are badges.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
Covenator1162 on Dec 5, 2014 wrote:
Pvp in pirates has huge potential to be so much fun, unfortunately it is currently very lacking in a lot of things, including fun. First and foremost the wait to pvp due to the limit of people who can pvp in one pvp "house". Why not make pvp instanced like in wizard101? Queue and instance pvp. Go into pvp house, step on sigil, choose your color side assuming you are doin g a multiplayer match like the 2v2/3v3/4v4 in wiz101, or don't choose a color side if 1v1. Then be queued up like in wiz101 to find matches and once one is found go into a pvp instance like wiz101.
I know it can be done, the framework for it is already used in wiz101, just obviously needs tweaking to for the system to work in pirate101 as well. This would make pvp more fun, random, flexible, and available to more players at once.

Secondly rewards for pvp in pirates, or maybe more appropriately the lack of rewards for pvp in pirates. Personally I'm not currently seeing much, if any, reason/incentive to pvp in pirates as the abundance of rewards and incentives in wiz101. Any possibility these things are on the "to be added/addressed list for pirates 101? Hope so.
You are describing an actual ranked PvP system, which does not exist for Pirate101. Think of the current state of PvP has a semi-permanent test realm. It is there for us to try new skills, abilities, strategies, etc...you cannot "advance" your PvP character....and it currently isn't intended to. See the previous posts from Ratbeard on the subject of the status of PvP:

Ratbeard's "to do" list for PvP (before we even get to a queue system, we will have level/option rooms first).

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-spar-chamber/the-future-of-pvp-8ad6a4194882c92801489ac839a04df3/8ad6a4144882c93601489f32dc1b30f3?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4144882c93601489f32dc1b30f3

Ratbeard's articulation that PvP is currently an, "optional activity in a "Test Only" state." You can't give rewards for "test" activity.

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/new-pet-pvp-8ad6a415449189860144f743be7e0be5/8ad6a416449189b50145008a94bc3de3?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a416449189b50145008a94bc3de3

Finally, below is how the update notes describe the current PvP system (PvP rewards will come later).

"The new Practice PVP system only showcases battleboard combat and currently does not feature a ladder, matchmaking, awards, or the introduction of "PvP Only" / "No PvP" flags for player gear. (This is just the beginning as a full implementation of PvP is still in the making.)"

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/update_notes/dec12