Player Buccaneers Still Need Some more Love

1
AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
71
Hey Ratbeard,

Buccaneers are looked down greatly upon in PVP. Everyone believes they are the underdogs of the food chain. My Buccaneer is loaded with drops of all sorts with very different strategies - but if I challenge anyone other than a swashbuckler - they scoff at me because I am a buccaneer. I dont totally blame them.

Recently, you all made well received changes to Buccaneers to make them more balanced. However, the buccaneer companions are who mainly benefited from this change.

Player Buccs:
Still dont get extra armor as heavy units vs light armored players
They didn't get anymore "Turn the Tides" levels
Bladestorm level 2 is worth barely anything in PVP. (After all, buccaneers dont have any DOA attacks and therefore weakening many enemies at once and then blade-storming on them all is not a very practical option).

Can you consider this? Will there be any future changes to Buccaneers? To balance the playing field a little more? Buccs are supposed to be Tank characters - doesnt that mean they should be equipped with all the means to charge head long into battle with many enemies pounding on them, yet only taking minimal damage?

I think Buccaneers should get the Lucky talent too and should have resistance on the same level of armor IF they are supposed to be tank characters...

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
Xiriganism on Apr 9, 2013 wrote:
Hey Ratbeard,

Buccaneers are looked down greatly upon in PVP. Everyone believes they are the underdogs of the food chain. My Buccaneer is loaded with drops of all sorts with very different strategies - but if I challenge anyone other than a swashbuckler - they scoff at me because I am a buccaneer. I dont totally blame them.

Recently, you all made well received changes to Buccaneers to make them more balanced. However, the buccaneer companions are who mainly benefited from this change.

Player Buccs:
Still dont get extra armor as heavy units vs light armored players
They didn't get anymore "Turn the Tides" levels
Bladestorm level 2 is worth barely anything in PVP. (After all, buccaneers dont have any DOA attacks and therefore weakening many enemies at once and then blade-storming on them all is not a very practical option).

Can you consider this? Will there be any future changes to Buccaneers? To balance the playing field a little more? Buccs are supposed to be Tank characters - doesnt that mean they should be equipped with all the means to charge head long into battle with many enemies pounding on them, yet only taking minimal damage?

I think Buccaneers should get the Lucky talent too and should have resistance on the same level of armor IF they are supposed to be tank characters...
Buccaneers are physical tanks, not magical. The Buccaneer class gets plenty of great gear and a lot of powers through farming. If you actually think the Buccaneer class is still weak, it's because you're being lazy or unwilling to try and get better. None of the other classes buy their gear from vendors, they have to farm for it, so do you. What you're suggesting is turning the Buccaneer class into the magical and physical tank. Plus the loads of damage they can do. Meaning you won't have to try as hard to get a win, while the other classes fall behind.

I know Buccaneers have a bad reputation, but it's up to you Buccaneers to turn that around. If you take the time to get good gear and make better strategies, you'll be able to show how good the Buccaneer class actually is.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Lucas Walker on Apr 23, 2013 wrote:
Buccaneers are physical tanks, not magical. The Buccaneer class gets plenty of great gear and a lot of powers through farming. If you actually think the Buccaneer class is still weak, it's because you're being lazy or unwilling to try and get better. None of the other classes buy their gear from vendors, they have to farm for it, so do you. What you're suggesting is turning the Buccaneer class into the magical and physical tank. Plus the loads of damage they can do. Meaning you won't have to try as hard to get a win, while the other classes fall behind.

I know Buccaneers have a bad reputation, but it's up to you Buccaneers to turn that around. If you take the time to get good gear and make better strategies, you'll be able to show how good the Buccaneer class actually is.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander
Did you miss the part where he said he was "loaded with drops of all sorts with very different strategies"? I have seen Rando's characters fight and he is anything but lazy. He has more knowledge about how this game works than most I have had the pleasure of gaming with. Please don't judge so harshly and listen to what he is saying. You may gain some wisdom there.

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
bladestorm X2 is useless IMO. what are the odds of finishing 2 opponents at once and having another one adjacent? near nothing with the damage we have. last time i checked, i have a sword my own size. i deserve power with that sword. switch out bladestorm X2 with relentless. real buccaneers can be brutal. relentless makes perfect sense

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
71
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 29, 2013 wrote:
bladestorm X2 is useless IMO. what are the odds of finishing 2 opponents at once and having another one adjacent? near nothing with the damage we have. last time i checked, i have a sword my own size. i deserve power with that sword. switch out bladestorm X2 with relentless. real buccaneers can be brutal. relentless makes perfect sense
I Know right???

I cant Agree more!

Ensign
Oct 01, 2010
41
Sneaky George Quar... on Apr 29, 2013 wrote:
bladestorm X2 is useless IMO. what are the odds of finishing 2 opponents at once and having another one adjacent? near nothing with the damage we have. last time i checked, i have a sword my own size. i deserve power with that sword. switch out bladestorm X2 with relentless. real buccaneers can be brutal. relentless makes perfect sense
Or better yet, let Buccaneers be able to learn relentless from our school trainers. I'm guessing only Swashbucklers can obtain this talent, but seriously, the name "relentless" totally sounds like it should be a Buccaneer epic rather than just a Swashbuckler epic. Swashbucklers are about finesse while Buccaneers are about power. Relentless sounds more like power than finesse if you ask me. Not to mention that relentless added with vengence strike, we can get an extra hit on the enemy, so why not right?

See ye around the Spiral and Skyways:
Humble Jack Jackson, lvl 32 Buccaneer
Wordy Paul Jackson, lvl 9 Witchdoctor
Quick Aedan Jackson, lvl 9 Swashbuckler
Loyal Oran Jackson, lvl 8 Privateer
Connor Jackson, lvl 9 Musketeer

Ensign
Aug 13, 2010
39
I actually would not mind Buccaneers obtaining Magic Resistance and Lucky levels. At this point a Swashbuckler is a better distraction for Melee enemies because of their dodginess. Let the big guys have something to make them unique.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
211
Bucaneers actually got some great buffs this update. Turn the Tide Rank 2 improves their damage and accuracy, hold the line rank 3 lowers the dodge of everyone it affects and Vengeance 3 now has priority over relentless and with it's ability to stun an opponent is a great skill for dealing damage and ending chains before they begin.

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
376
Wow, that is sad to hear. We are loaded with all sorts of charges: Mighty, Brutal, and Vicious. Also, Kraken's Lament improves dodges and makes you vengeance every time a Swashbuckler, Privateer, or other Buccaneer hits you. Also, you can use something like Sharks Fury to increase strength.

Pretty Cheryl Walker level 32
Lovable Natalie level 12
Happy Esmerelda
Romantic Hannah Devereaux
Slick Stephanie Maxwell

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
35
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Lucas on this one. The classes are already quite balanced enough and in my opinion, Buccaneers are second only Privateers (and that's only because my strongest character is the latter class). I feel if you made more of an effort to pre-strategize and take advantage of the abilities both you and your companions have, you won't have much trouble winning at all. Perhaps, it's not that Buccaneers need more love you just need to put more thought into how you approach a battle. If you're already loaded up with a butt load of abilities and powers, consider looking for others that may do better for you.

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
RuthlessKelseyLife... on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Lucas on this one. The classes are already quite balanced enough and in my opinion, Buccaneers are second only Privateers (and that's only because my strongest character is the latter class). I feel if you made more of an effort to pre-strategize and take advantage of the abilities both you and your companions have, you won't have much trouble winning at all. Perhaps, it's not that Buccaneers need more love you just need to put more thought into how you approach a battle. If you're already loaded up with a butt load of abilities and powers, consider looking for others that may do better for you.
dont forget that for a buc to be successful, they need a perfect buff combination, buffing strength and defense. by the time they finish buffing, the rest of the teams already whacking in the middle. sure, they have attacks that double your speed, but they dont actually help with the fighting itself. i have hit with an uppercut (sneak attack) stronger than i have with a 2 handed sword slice combo (vicious charge). now they get a useless skill that doubles the whole teams speed. sound useful but people dont really move around when fighting. looking on both sides, i actually outlived a swash in the climax of a battle. he even hit 80 out of stealth when i buffed my defense

Ensign
Nov 28, 2008
35
Sneaky George Quar... on Jul 23, 2013 wrote:
dont forget that for a buc to be successful, they need a perfect buff combination, buffing strength and defense. by the time they finish buffing, the rest of the teams already whacking in the middle. sure, they have attacks that double your speed, but they dont actually help with the fighting itself. i have hit with an uppercut (sneak attack) stronger than i have with a 2 handed sword slice combo (vicious charge). now they get a useless skill that doubles the whole teams speed. sound useful but people dont really move around when fighting. looking on both sides, i actually outlived a swash in the climax of a battle. he even hit 80 out of stealth when i buffed my defense
Well, I wasn't speaking directly of the buffs. Buccaneers are defensive based and are loaded with plenty of powerful attacks and debuffs. If I'm not mistaken most Buccaneer attacks are about making the enemy's attacks less effective, wouldn't you say? When I'm using my Buccaneer character my main focus is using those debuffs in conjunction with each other and any other buffs my gear or my companions may give.
For example, let's pretend Buccaneer Bryan is battling Swashbuckler Sarah. Let's say he bought Wu Tang from the Crown shop, has reached the level where El Toro is part of his crew and he has a Privateer companion with Espirit de Corps (I'm not sure if there is one or not but this is just an example so I won't bother trying to find out). A few turns into the battle, Buccaneer Bryan has lost about a quarter of his health and his attacks haven't been hitting as much as he would like. So he decides "Let's take out the biggest damage dealer!" So, next turn, he uses a typical Buccaneer debuff, with back up from El Toro's Espirit de Corps and unnamed Privateer companion's Espirit de Corps. Wu Tang heals him and with his luck it's an Epic Heal so he's back to full health. During his opponent's next turn, the strongest damage dealer, whom he targeted with his debuff in the previous turn, is unable to hit him because of said debuff and the two Espirit de Corps from his loyal companions. The following turns the targeted opponent makes let's say 3 hits, (not enough to kill Bryan even if they epic each time) and before the debuff or Espirit de Corps wear off he takes out his biggest threat in the battle.
Now whose to say he doesn't still lose in a later turn? I don't know, but, if he were to have tucked away two or more pieces of gear with a Revive card, then it's likely that he may have come on top. Of course, this is just an example I offered. In my experience battling against Buccaneers, I feel like a good number of them use all their debuffs in the first few turns which is why I said what I said.
Again, pre-strategizing and adjusting to battle conditions is what makes a good PvP-er in Pirate101 so learn to take advantage of the skills you have as well as any other skills at your disposal and, you'll find that Buccaneers aren't anywhere near as loveless as you think they are.

Ensign
Aug 10, 2011
10
Buccaneers are far more being the toughest class, with special powers and great gear. I am a level 61 buccaneer with the best companions and powers, and also talent's. I feel epic the way I am.
Jenna-

Petty Officer
Nov 21, 2012
70
RuthlessKelseyLife... on Jul 22, 2013 wrote:
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Lucas on this one. The classes are already quite balanced enough and in my opinion, Buccaneers are second only Privateers (and that's only because my strongest character is the latter class). I feel if you made more of an effort to pre-strategize and take advantage of the abilities both you and your companions have, you won't have much trouble winning at all. Perhaps, it's not that Buccaneers need more love you just need to put more thought into how you approach a battle. If you're already loaded up with a butt load of abilities and powers, consider looking for others that may do better for you.
I agree with you and Lucas.
The class, even though not very popular, is still a crazy powerful class. I'm not big on buccaneers, but they can wreck house...on certain classes. Buccaneers probably wouldn't go good against a swashbuckler, as they could land mounts of damage against the buccaneers. All classes have their weaknesses and resistances.
However, a buccaneer would do good against both a witchdoctor and a musketeer, a could do something against a privateer.

However, only my opinion.

HardhatBrutal Fighter

or...
SwashyThe Beauty of Blades

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 24, 2013 wrote:
Did you miss the part where he said he was "loaded with drops of all sorts with very different strategies"? I have seen Rando's characters fight and he is anything but lazy. He has more knowledge about how this game works than most I have had the pleasure of gaming with. Please don't judge so harshly and listen to what he is saying. You may gain some wisdom there.
I did listen to what he was saying and my opinion stands. In many posts I make, I'm not singling out the person I'm replying to. I've encountered many players that are Buccaneers with great gear, but still complain that the class is UP.

Nothing comes easy. You have to work for it. Even before Reckless Frenzy was added, Buccaneers did very well in PvP. My point was that they aren't magical tanks, but are great physical tanks. Buccaneers aren't meant to tank both physical and magical damage, whether people are willing to accept that or not doesn't matter.

Post-MB and AQ update. The class was buffed way too much. Great defensive stats, great accuracy and dodge, and a broken power. They also have access to necessities they may need via farmed gear.

This is a result of KI not listening when people say: "Don't prefer to buff a class, rather than nerf others because you're afraid of the negative reactions. Find the balance between buffing and nerfing." Sadly, KI didn't listen.

Ensign
Jul 11, 2013
3
Buccaneers are horrible in PvP ....

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Lucas Walker on Sep 6, 2013 wrote:
I did listen to what he was saying and my opinion stands. In many posts I make, I'm not singling out the person I'm replying to. I've encountered many players that are Buccaneers with great gear, but still complain that the class is UP.

Nothing comes easy. You have to work for it. Even before Reckless Frenzy was added, Buccaneers did very well in PvP. My point was that they aren't magical tanks, but are great physical tanks. Buccaneers aren't meant to tank both physical and magical damage, whether people are willing to accept that or not doesn't matter.

Post-MB and AQ update. The class was buffed way too much. Great defensive stats, great accuracy and dodge, and a broken power. They also have access to necessities they may need via farmed gear.

This is a result of KI not listening when people say: "Don't prefer to buff a class, rather than nerf others because you're afraid of the negative reactions. Find the balance between buffing and nerfing." Sadly, KI didn't listen.
hmm, sounds like a guy who used to be happy tromping on buccaneers but is now getting creamed by them, therefore wants them nerfed....

Xavier

Ensign
Feb 13, 2011
45
Yes I do believe Buccaneers are in need of a buff. My Buccaneer is a powerful brawler thanks to the swashbuckler power that lets him deal double damage(over 1000 if mega hits), but Buccaneer needs relentless. Not a full Relentless set just Relentless 1 so we can double the damage output so that their damage will be on par with non defensive classes but not as high as those swashbuckler glass cannons.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
Buccaneer are tanks against melee and ranged attacks not magic so privateer and withcdoctor can own a buccaneer unless they summon skeletal pirates but companions would take them out
If you used your practice points right it would be easier for you guys its up to his you use your phone tactics points
I started with getting tough 1 and tough 2 from musketeers roost then light and heavy armor and slashy weapons from bucanner den healing powered from privateer and I don't know with swashbuckler ill have to check by the time your lvl 65 any class is now the best and can reign of the non practice point using lvl 65s now no class needs no buffing and that's that

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
firestarter750 on Sep 11, 2013 wrote:
Buccaneers are horrible in PvP ....
how much research did you do to find that out?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 1, 2014 wrote:
how much research did you do to find that out?
lol he just said that

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
129
justaguest on Oct 19, 2013 wrote:
Yes I do believe Buccaneers are in need of a buff. My Buccaneer is a powerful brawler thanks to the swashbuckler power that lets him deal double damage(over 1000 if mega hits), but Buccaneer needs relentless. Not a full Relentless set just Relentless 1 so we can double the damage output so that their damage will be on par with non defensive classes but not as high as those swashbuckler glass cannons.
Buccaneers should not get relentless they are not meant to be heavy hitters they are meant to be the tank class Be sides u all ready have relentless frenzy I think that is what it is called XD lvl 65

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
The reason swashbucklers get relentless is because there meant to do heaps of damage buccaneers are meant to take heaps of damage

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
witchdoctor daruis on Jan 15, 2014 wrote:
The reason swashbucklers get relentless is because there meant to do heaps of damage buccaneers are meant to take heaps of damage
Swash should definitely get relentless, not buccaneers. Firstly, buccaneers have the highest base weapon damage, so dealing around 800 damage by getting one relentless (around 410 per swing) is op.
Swashbucklers are meant to be the damage dealers, buccaneers are more in defenses etc.

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
960
If.."Buccs are supposed to be Tank characters - doesnt that mean they should be equipped with all the means to charge head long into battle with many enemies pounding on them, yet only taking minimal damage?" How would anyone beat them? Seems a little one sided to me.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

1