Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Old Scratch's buff should be reverted.

1
AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Old scratch just brings a whole other level of unbalance to the PvP world. We were complaining about witches and privateers not being equal to bucklers and buccaneers, and if this was the developers' answer, they've completely lost the plot!
Now, with old scratch and his ridiculous buffs, you have people using valor's armor and shielding 2,600 damage. That's like having two lives! Then there are the witchdoctors who summon level 105 skeletal pirate's and bone drakes. And we have the swashbucklers poisoning for 400 damage a round, without even going critical. If they went critical we would be dealing with a maximum of 650-700 damage! Topping that off, we have privateers who can cast a revive and heal 1k on the initial hit. Without even going critical.
Old scratch has demolished the stable pillars of our PvP community. He is not fixing anything, but doing the exact opposite, and tearing it apart.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 64

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
382
DeathWiz101378 on Oct 11, 2015 wrote:
Old scratch just brings a whole other level of unbalance to the PvP world. We were complaining about witches and privateers not being equal to bucklers and buccaneers, and if this was the developers' answer, they've completely lost the plot!
Now, with old scratch and his ridiculous buffs, you have people using valor's armor and shielding 2,600 damage. That's like having two lives! Then there are the witchdoctors who summon level 105 skeletal pirate's and bone drakes. And we have the swashbucklers poisoning for 400 damage a round, without even going critical. If they went critical we would be dealing with a maximum of 650-700 damage! Topping that off, we have privateers who can cast a revive and heal 1k on the initial hit. Without even going critical.
Old scratch has demolished the stable pillars of our PvP community. He is not fixing anything, but doing the exact opposite, and tearing it apart.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 64
Same for pve, tower is a joke now... I did 3300 mojo storm, without critical... and I'm not even sure I had all spell power buffs on. And I'm no witchdoctor!

I do like spell power buffs, but yeah maybe the total of the 3 is overpowered.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
DeathWiz101378 on Oct 11, 2015 wrote:
Old scratch just brings a whole other level of unbalance to the PvP world. We were complaining about witches and privateers not being equal to bucklers and buccaneers, and if this was the developers' answer, they've completely lost the plot!
Now, with old scratch and his ridiculous buffs, you have people using valor's armor and shielding 2,600 damage. That's like having two lives! Then there are the witchdoctors who summon level 105 skeletal pirate's and bone drakes. And we have the swashbucklers poisoning for 400 damage a round, without even going critical. If they went critical we would be dealing with a maximum of 650-700 damage! Topping that off, we have privateers who can cast a revive and heal 1k on the initial hit. Without even going critical.
Old scratch has demolished the stable pillars of our PvP community. He is not fixing anything, but doing the exact opposite, and tearing it apart.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 65
Merciless Cass Spencer, 65
Merciless Quinn Quincy, 64
It's pretty fair I can still beat most witches and privy easy you have to charge be for they start buffing up first turn nausica Rush with a fort on her so if they purge they lose mojo buff then follow up with goro the next turn and have him charge scratch and you can take it from there.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
the midnightpirate on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
It's pretty fair I can still beat most witches and privy easy you have to charge be for they start buffing up first turn nausica Rush with a fort on her so if they purge they lose mojo buff then follow up with goro the next turn and have him charge scratch and you can take it from there.
I'm not saying that witches and privateers are hard to beat. And they aren't, lol.
My point is that old scratch isn't fixing anything. He just makes PvP even more rampant and unbalanced

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
DeathWiz101378 on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I'm not saying that witches and privateers are hard to beat. And they aren't, lol.
My point is that old scratch isn't fixing anything. He just makes PvP even more rampant and unbalanced
Huh? You just spent a paragraph complaining about how op witches and privys are and now your saying that they are easy to beat? If old scratch isn't doing anything then how is he making everything unbalanced? I personally think he is great. He gives a much needed boost to my powers.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
No matter what it is somebody won't be happy.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
135
DeathWiz101378 on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
I'm not saying that witches and privateers are hard to beat. And they aren't, lol.
My point is that old scratch isn't fixing anything. He just makes PvP even more rampant and unbalanced
He makes witches and privy good all they need now is more more small buff thanks to scratch so he has fixed things.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2011
133
I think that with the scratch buff, things are more balanced. As a witch, I have been used to myself or my companions getting one-rounded very often by other classes, due to the damage buffs provided by hidden and the charges with epics and chains from buccaneers, etc. So now, for a few turns, witches can also have strong attacks. The strongest buff lasts only 3 rounds, which is actually just 2 rounds for the pirate to either attack, summon or use a valor armor.

Just as I still need to fear Black Fog and Highland Charge and hidden Assassin Strikes, I think its fair for other classes to have to deal with the increased spell power that Scratch can now provide.

Lieutenant
Feb 14, 2014
184
As a witch I'm kind of upset that other classes where able to take a bite out of the new power buffs Old Scratch has. Correct me if I'm wrong but, since when where Privy's or Buckler's magical? "It's not that Privy's or Buckler's are magical, it's there 'spells'." Lets go deeper then, in what twisted world, is a NON magical classes powers boosted by magic, hm?" Now I can cope with heals since they are after all heals, but any of the fortresses and any poisons should be stripped of any type of spell power boost! It's about time witchdoctors got their spell power boost, and to have other classes powers boosted by a witchdoctor friendly power is frustrating, unless we are speaking of heals.

Sorry to sound bratty, angry, rude, etc...but lets face it witchdoctors don't exactly get the largest slice of pvp pie, and a spell power boost for witches was LONG over due.

Catherine Reade- Lvl 65
Erica Reade- Lvl 65

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
the midnightpirate on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
It's pretty fair I can still beat most witches and privy easy you have to charge be for they start buffing up first turn nausica Rush with a fort on her so if they purge they lose mojo buff then follow up with goro the next turn and have him charge scratch and you can take it from there.
Some of us don't have goro, or nausica, some of us feel these must haves aren't necessary. All the spell power buffs did is bring another must have onto the crew. I argue pvp shouldn't be dominated by nausica by scratch, pvp needs some companion related bans because this is ridiculous. First season I'm suppose to be ready to counter nausica now I need to counter scratch? Yet still be decent against bucks?

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
Indeed this is broken, 1200 mojo storms to 3x3 is not balance. 800 big guns infinite range 3x3 is not balance. 1000 + 300 + 300 mournsongs are not balance. Frankly this scratch move was a risk that DIDN'T pay off now any companion can get 1-2 shot from a distance. This FORCES everyone to use scratch for 1000 +500 +500 revives, which is not balanced. None of this was really necessary, all that needed to be done is take away cotta charges, like quentin said, give more summons hold the line/repel boarders, maybe even sent 1 to a few, and toss some more dodge on witches. Not to mention Turn The Tide rank 3 stacking with Elusive was the major issue before, this was completely ignored! Are 180 dodge bucks with 100 armor necessary? Frankly I think scratch would be just fine with just the 10 round buff.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Duke of Westminste... on Oct 12, 2015 wrote:
Huh? You just spent a paragraph complaining about how op witches and privys are and now your saying that they are easy to beat? If old scratch isn't doing anything then how is he making everything unbalanced? I personally think he is great. He gives a much needed boost to my powers.
No, you misintepreted what i said. I was stating what any pirate can do with their valor's armors and heals, and what witchdoctors can do with summons. I also stated what swashbucklers could do with poison damage. I didn't even use the word "op" or even hint that I was implying that they were.
Everyone was complaining about how op swashbucklers were before, though i didn't agree, this update has pushed things over the edge. When you are relying on a single companion to boost yourself instead of having a direct boost, I think there's a problem.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Most of you guys seem to be missing my point, so i'll reiterate, or rephrase:
When a companion almost has to be used in order to compete in the meta, that companion is broken and is definitely not fixing everything. It just provides a massive advantage to anyone who brings him along.
And when that advantage is that you can pretty much give a companion an extra life with a shield, deal near 1,000 damage in an aoe with mojo storm without even going critical, and poison for absurd amounts, you almost have to bring old scratch in a battle.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
TheHoodooQueen on Oct 13, 2015 wrote:
As a witch I'm kind of upset that other classes where able to take a bite out of the new power buffs Old Scratch has. Correct me if I'm wrong but, since when where Privy's or Buckler's magical? "It's not that Privy's or Buckler's are magical, it's there 'spells'." Lets go deeper then, in what twisted world, is a NON magical classes powers boosted by magic, hm?" Now I can cope with heals since they are after all heals, but any of the fortresses and any poisons should be stripped of any type of spell power boost! It's about time witchdoctors got their spell power boost, and to have other classes powers boosted by a witchdoctor friendly power is frustrating, unless we are speaking of heals.

Sorry to sound bratty, angry, rude, etc...but lets face it witchdoctors don't exactly get the largest slice of pvp pie, and a spell power boost for witches was LONG over due.

Catherine Reade- Lvl 65
Erica Reade- Lvl 65
Valors armor isnt a fort, it should be spell based which it is, forts btw arent boosted by anything, poisons however i agree, they arent magical at all

Ensign
May 23, 2015
33
What they should have done in the first place was buff Grimtooth not Scratch since he is a witchdoctor only companion. Now that everyone can benefit from his spell boost in one way or another it has opened up way too many variables to try and counter. Since when have you seen a swashbuckler equipping a staff? Well guess what some do now and are doing well with it. I am not going to go into that.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
Mike888b on Oct 14, 2015 wrote:
What they should have done in the first place was buff Grimtooth not Scratch since he is a witchdoctor only companion. Now that everyone can benefit from his spell boost in one way or another it has opened up way too many variables to try and counter. Since when have you seen a swashbuckler equipping a staff? Well guess what some do now and are doing well with it. I am not going to go into that.
I disagree; I believe the fact their are more viable strategies and more unique sets is a credit to the PvP meta. Bring on the variety!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
242
I'm so torn between two sides on this one. On one hand, I can understand the frustration because now Scratch is usable by ALL classes, which solves nothing for the Witches. On the other, Old Scratch is now a top tier companion in PvE. I just want to put in my two cents (I STILL HAVE NO CLUE IF IT'S "CENTS" OR "SENSE"):

I personally am ecstatic about the Mojo Buffs because now Old Scratch is viable in PvE. The way I see it, this previous update was about three things things: Ranked PvP, The Nautical Gauntlet, and making every companion viable at all levels. I believe that was KingIsle's purpose. Not to necessarily buff him in PvP (because I don't think KingIsle are the type to do that) but to make him viable for all classes in PvE.

And viable he certainly is. I'm hoping he stays this way, because if not, I'd have to switch back to 'In Order', and let's face it, Random or Firstmate are more exciting :p

Perhaps taking off one of his buffs could help? I don't know. I'm honestly just spitballing here. Interesting discussion, though.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Blockade Runner

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
382
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
I'm so torn between two sides on this one. On one hand, I can understand the frustration because now Scratch is usable by ALL classes, which solves nothing for the Witches. On the other, Old Scratch is now a top tier companion in PvE. I just want to put in my two cents (I STILL HAVE NO CLUE IF IT'S "CENTS" OR "SENSE"):

I personally am ecstatic about the Mojo Buffs because now Old Scratch is viable in PvE. The way I see it, this previous update was about three things things: Ranked PvP, The Nautical Gauntlet, and making every companion viable at all levels. I believe that was KingIsle's purpose. Not to necessarily buff him in PvP (because I don't think KingIsle are the type to do that) but to make him viable for all classes in PvE.

And viable he certainly is. I'm hoping he stays this way, because if not, I'd have to switch back to 'In Order', and let's face it, Random or Firstmate are more exciting :p

Perhaps taking off one of his buffs could help? I don't know. I'm honestly just spitballing here. Interesting discussion, though.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Blockade Runner
It's the second time I see you doubt about this so here goes, its "two cents" :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9466
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
I'm so torn between two sides on this one. On one hand, I can understand the frustration because now Scratch is usable by ALL classes, which solves nothing for the Witches. On the other, Old Scratch is now a top tier companion in PvE. I just want to put in my two cents (I STILL HAVE NO CLUE IF IT'S "CENTS" OR "SENSE"):

I personally am ecstatic about the Mojo Buffs because now Old Scratch is viable in PvE. The way I see it, this previous update was about three things things: Ranked PvP, The Nautical Gauntlet, and making every companion viable at all levels. I believe that was KingIsle's purpose. Not to necessarily buff him in PvP (because I don't think KingIsle are the type to do that) but to make him viable for all classes in PvE.

And viable he certainly is. I'm hoping he stays this way, because if not, I'd have to switch back to 'In Order', and let's face it, Random or Firstmate are more exciting :p

Perhaps taking off one of his buffs could help? I don't know. I'm honestly just spitballing here. Interesting discussion, though.

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Blockade Runner
The phrase is "two cents" as in two pennies, a small amount, of little worth. When you use this phrase, you're seeking to be ( falsely ) humble.
We have five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell and touch.
I'm also having a hard time with this thread - WD asked for something to help them, this was given; that it has now escalated into a PVP dilemma is no fault of the developers of KI.

Ensign
May 23, 2014
46
I find it interesting that some are complaining about high damage numbers from a buff that witches can hold for exactly 2 rounds. Literally 2. Whereas swashbucklers can hide at least 3 times, have at least 3 sneak attacks, can hide their whole team. Buccaneers can chain for days. But no, you're right, we can't possibly allow witches to cast 2 super powered spells. Or allow Privateers to cast 2 good heals.

Do you not see the inherent injustice in the complaint? Witches can attain exactly 2 rounds of killer spell power and be great damage dealers, all the while having no defense whatsoever and bad dodge and accuracy. Whereas swashes can deal ridiculous amounts of damage the whole match and hide for defense, and dodge when they're not hidden. Buccaneers can deal damage like crazy the whole match and punish any damage you can inflict, and have great defense.

How are you going to call 2 rounds of doubled spell power unbalanced? Yeah, it's a drastic jump from the norm-but so is black fog.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the considerable abilities of the other classes. I DO find it ironic that others are threatened by this one buff that doesn't help them. For goodness sakes, stop asking for others to be weakened, because you'll find you're next on the chopping block.

In summation: leave Old Scratch alone.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
Kan The Destroyer on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
I find it interesting that some are complaining about high damage numbers from a buff that witches can hold for exactly 2 rounds. Literally 2. Whereas swashbucklers can hide at least 3 times, have at least 3 sneak attacks, can hide their whole team. Buccaneers can chain for days. But no, you're right, we can't possibly allow witches to cast 2 super powered spells. Or allow Privateers to cast 2 good heals.

Do you not see the inherent injustice in the complaint? Witches can attain exactly 2 rounds of killer spell power and be great damage dealers, all the while having no defense whatsoever and bad dodge and accuracy. Whereas swashes can deal ridiculous amounts of damage the whole match and hide for defense, and dodge when they're not hidden. Buccaneers can deal damage like crazy the whole match and punish any damage you can inflict, and have great defense.

How are you going to call 2 rounds of doubled spell power unbalanced? Yeah, it's a drastic jump from the norm-but so is black fog.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the considerable abilities of the other classes. I DO find it ironic that others are threatened by this one buff that doesn't help them. For goodness sakes, stop asking for others to be weakened, because you'll find you're next on the chopping block.

In summation: leave Old Scratch alone.
I can't Yar this post enough-well said.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
443
Kan The Destroyer on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
I find it interesting that some are complaining about high damage numbers from a buff that witches can hold for exactly 2 rounds. Literally 2. Whereas swashbucklers can hide at least 3 times, have at least 3 sneak attacks, can hide their whole team. Buccaneers can chain for days. But no, you're right, we can't possibly allow witches to cast 2 super powered spells. Or allow Privateers to cast 2 good heals.

Do you not see the inherent injustice in the complaint? Witches can attain exactly 2 rounds of killer spell power and be great damage dealers, all the while having no defense whatsoever and bad dodge and accuracy. Whereas swashes can deal ridiculous amounts of damage the whole match and hide for defense, and dodge when they're not hidden. Buccaneers can deal damage like crazy the whole match and punish any damage you can inflict, and have great defense.

How are you going to call 2 rounds of doubled spell power unbalanced? Yeah, it's a drastic jump from the norm-but so is black fog.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the considerable abilities of the other classes. I DO find it ironic that others are threatened by this one buff that doesn't help them. For goodness sakes, stop asking for others to be weakened, because you'll find you're next on the chopping block.

In summation: leave Old Scratch alone.
This post contains not only two cents, but is outright raining common sense.

/bow

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Kan The Destroyer on Oct 16, 2015 wrote:
I find it interesting that some are complaining about high damage numbers from a buff that witches can hold for exactly 2 rounds. Literally 2. Whereas swashbucklers can hide at least 3 times, have at least 3 sneak attacks, can hide their whole team. Buccaneers can chain for days. But no, you're right, we can't possibly allow witches to cast 2 super powered spells. Or allow Privateers to cast 2 good heals.

Do you not see the inherent injustice in the complaint? Witches can attain exactly 2 rounds of killer spell power and be great damage dealers, all the while having no defense whatsoever and bad dodge and accuracy. Whereas swashes can deal ridiculous amounts of damage the whole match and hide for defense, and dodge when they're not hidden. Buccaneers can deal damage like crazy the whole match and punish any damage you can inflict, and have great defense.

How are you going to call 2 rounds of doubled spell power unbalanced? Yeah, it's a drastic jump from the norm-but so is black fog.

I'm not saying I have a problem with the considerable abilities of the other classes. I DO find it ironic that others are threatened by this one buff that doesn't help them. For goodness sakes, stop asking for others to be weakened, because you'll find you're next on the chopping block.

In summation: leave Old Scratch alone.
Huzzah!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
161
2 cents moo robe meta was more fun.... This meta Witches are 2 easy, repetitive and boring.... But hey they did a good job of making a fair universal available option to balance witches+privy's

Ensign
Dec 14, 2013
14
I don't mind the idea of the buff, but I am inclined to think that for pvp Carcarious would have been a better choice since witches needed it more than other classes. I also understand that it was possibly intended that ki did something to keep scratch alive in the main storyline; so good job over all KI.
I will also say it is bad if any companion becomes a "must have" to win. It takes away from the game when that happens ...ahem (Nausica); but, I am not sure that Old Scratch reaches that status from this buff, but if it is proven over time that he is a must have, then it should be changed in my opinion.

1