Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Not fun... thanks to black fog

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
138
anecorbie on Aug 21, 2015 wrote:
I'm beginning to wonder if Black Fog is really the problem it is; most of the time I'm facing opponents who have no idea how to fight a PVP match. Let me give two examples of fighters who made the same mistake:
Example #1 Witchdoctor first move he uses Bonnie Anne's Scatter Shot to remove the obstacles in the center of the board. ( no one is within the area affected. ), He had no melee companion. he was easy to beat because he wasted his opportunities.
Example # 2 Musketeer first move - does the same thing as that WD, also has no melee companions
These two examples happened at the Warrior and Gladiator level in ranked PVP.
I imagine that their conversation with a friend went something like this:
Friend, "How did your match go?"
WD & MK: "I lost, she was a swashbuckler."
Friend, "Did she use fog?"
WD & MK : "Yeah."
Friend, "Fog is OP."
So if these encounters are happening to me at the mid levels in a Ranked PVP, I wonder what's going on at the higher levels.
I'm not saying that the ones posting here aren't competent, but perhaps aren't taking the opportunities to stop a buckler in their tracks
Example #3 Witchdoctor first move uses Widow's Touch. I knew at once that here was an opponent who understood buckler's strengths and was determined to stop it. He won because he used his powers and gear effectively.
I dont know exactly what rank opponents you're facing but at veteran hero paragon and champion the people you fight know what they're doing

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Eric Stormbringer on Aug 11, 2015 wrote:
Gee i must be the biggest joke out there. Swash w/o fort(by choice) at your service.
No fort? I was considering dumping mine because hide is the ultimate defense. Usually i don't even use fort in matches

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
119
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
No fort? I was considering dumping mine because hide is the ultimate defense. Usually i don't even use fort in matches
From experience: trust me, it is needed to go against a musket. You don't want to run the chance of a scent pet. One usually does the trick, maybe two depending on the situation(I haven't done any matches on my buckler, but coming from a musket who has defeated any buckler thus far who has no fort ... Hide can be worked around, despite what people will claim ) Against Buccaneers maybe you could get away with it, but I think one is still needed in the current meta. Of course everyone is different, I am just giving my opinion

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
18
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
No fort? I was considering dumping mine because hide is the ultimate defense. Usually i don't even use fort in matches
Un you must be one of those moo robe user by the way your talking if I were to have a match with u wouldn't last me 10 rounds do to you dumping your fort and a hide is trash compared to a fortress when your vs witch muskets you would get destroyed before u even reach them

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
18
Purge magic removing hidden would only benefit other classes such as range of privyteers which already can spam fortress and witch can already spam summons not to mention filling half the board In less Then 5 rounds besides there is already scent update that takes care of that no need to make another thing remove it scent is already good enough

luis

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
138
DeathWiz101378 on Aug 24, 2015 wrote:
No fort? I was considering dumping mine because hide is the ultimate defense. Usually i don't even use fort in matches
Sorry to criticize your strategy but without using valor's fortress or valor's armor you leave yourself open to attacks in between hides

Developer
Myhomie541 on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Purge magic removing hidden would only benefit other classes such as range of privyteers which already can spam fortress and witch can already spam summons not to mention filling half the board In less Then 5 rounds besides there is already scent update that takes care of that no need to make another thing remove it scent is already good enough

luis
If implemented, the idea would be that using Purge would remove you from hiding (like making an attack); not that just anyone could use Purge to pop you out of hiding.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
If implemented, the idea would be that using Purge would remove you from hiding (like making an attack); not that just anyone could use Purge to pop you out of hiding.
Oh I like that better than Purge removing Hides, now not just Bucklers but everyone using a hide can be protected.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
126
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
If implemented, the idea would be that using Purge would remove you from hiding (like making an attack); not that just anyone could use Purge to pop you out of hiding.
That sounds like a very good idea as it prevents the whole hide/purge thing from not going unpunished for such a game changing power

Ensign
Nov 29, 2013
18
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
If implemented, the idea would be that using Purge would remove you from hiding (like making an attack); not that just anyone could use Purge to pop you out of hiding.
I wouldn't mind that since u counter the other team as well but it would still unbalance the power of removing hides since there is already scent

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
157
Myhomie541 on Aug 26, 2015 wrote:
I wouldn't mind that since u counter the other team as well but it would still unbalance the power of removing hides since there is already scent
It's as easy as this: don't use purge while you're hidden. Easiest counter to hidden counters ever.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2011
133
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
If implemented, the idea would be that using Purge would remove you from hiding (like making an attack); not that just anyone could use Purge to pop you out of hiding.
I like this idea also.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
I disagree with the idea that using Purge while hidden should remove the hide for a number of reasons:

First off swashbucklers are already limited enough as is. Their hide resolves on the end of their round rather than the opponent's(something applicable to no other buff),Their is a pet power that acts as 100% neutralization of all copies of hide(something applicable to no other power), hide is specifically countered by several rank 3 epics(something applicable to no other power), the barricade strategy can almost completely neutralize black fog and various other counters are available.

Secondly-Purge is extremely counterable simply by moving. Purge only affects a 3x3 area and any class can move their pirate and companions out of that radii in one round.

Thirdly- Purge costs a round to cast so by simply moving one has already countered any number of hidden rounds. The fact that purge costs a round to cast also means that this is a round where the swashbuckler pirate is not doing any damage. It is also a round where he put himself in a vulnerable position for an entire round. As an extremely fragile class-the hide is the only protection from a self induced purge and without it the swashbuckler would surely die the very next round.

With all these counters available along with purge being fairly avoidable I don not believe that it should remove hidden when cast.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Masonpeev on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Sorry to criticize your strategy but without using valor's fortress or valor's armor you leave yourself open to attacks in between hides
Um it's not my strategy. if you read my post again you can see i was asking eric stormbringer

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
157
Eric Stormbringer on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
I disagree with the idea that using Purge while hidden should remove the hide for a number of reasons:

First off swashbucklers are already limited enough as is. Their hide resolves on the end of their round rather than the opponent's(something applicable to no other buff),Their is a pet power that acts as 100% neutralization of all copies of hide(something applicable to no other power), hide is specifically countered by several rank 3 epics(something applicable to no other power), the barricade strategy can almost completely neutralize black fog and various other counters are available.

Secondly-Purge is extremely counterable simply by moving. Purge only affects a 3x3 area and any class can move their pirate and companions out of that radii in one round.

Thirdly- Purge costs a round to cast so by simply moving one has already countered any number of hidden rounds. The fact that purge costs a round to cast also means that this is a round where the swashbuckler pirate is not doing any damage. It is also a round where he put himself in a vulnerable position for an entire round. As an extremely fragile class-the hide is the only protection from a self induced purge and without it the swashbuckler would surely die the very next round.

With all these counters available along with purge being fairly avoidable I don not believe that it should remove hidden when cast.
"It is also a round where he put himself in a vulnerable position for an entire round."
- That's the point of purge; you render everyone vulnerable but you get to hit first with your companions. You're not vulnerable if you use purge while you're hidden right now because no one can hit you except with AoE.

"Purge is extremely counterable by moving"
- If you use a raise barricade strategy, you can't move, and the barricade does not block purge magic.

"without it the swashbuckler would surely die the very next round."
- Bucklers can easily get over 160 dodge even without elusive 3. Also, in theory, the turn you purge, your companions should be able to take out an enemy companion of your choice. Some games, I even manage to lose two companions in one turn to black fog. Knowing this, bucklers can take out the companion that would be most dangerous to their character and use the buckler's high dodge to prevent instant death. Musketeers are the only class that will still be able to consistently hit but they won't critical against the buckler because of his/her high agility.

Right now, the purge hidden combo completely destroys buccaneers and privateers because they rely heavily on buffs/shields. Most people do not have/use a scent pet. If you think swashbucklers are limited, you could try using different gear to vary things up.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
bluba4 on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
"It is also a round where he put himself in a vulnerable position for an entire round."
- That's the point of purge; you render everyone vulnerable but you get to hit first with your companions. You're not vulnerable if you use purge while you're hidden right now because no one can hit you except with AoE.

"Purge is extremely counterable by moving"
- If you use a raise barricade strategy, you can't move, and the barricade does not block purge magic.

"without it the swashbuckler would surely die the very next round."
- Bucklers can easily get over 160 dodge even without elusive 3. Also, in theory, the turn you purge, your companions should be able to take out an enemy companion of your choice. Some games, I even manage to lose two companions in one turn to black fog. Knowing this, bucklers can take out the companion that would be most dangerous to their character and use the buckler's high dodge to prevent instant death. Musketeers are the only class that will still be able to consistently hit but they won't critical against the buckler because of his/her high agility.

Right now, the purge hidden combo completely destroys buccaneers and privateers because they rely heavily on buffs/shields. Most people do not have/use a scent pet. If you think swashbucklers are limited, you could try using different gear to vary things up.
"That's the point of purge; you render everyone vulnerable but you get to hit first with your companions. You're not vulnerable if you use purge while you're hidden right now because no one can hit you except with AoE."
-Unless of course you made smart movement choices and forced the swash to use purge the round hidden resolves.

"If you use a raise barricade strategy, you can't move, and the barricade does not block purge magic."
-If you use a raise barricade strategy you pretty much already negated fog(a bucklers only team buff). Seems fair for the buckler to be able to negate your team buffs.

"Bucklers can easily get over 160 dodge even without elusive 3. Also, in theory, the turn you purge, your companions should be able to take out an enemy companion of your choice. Some games, I even manage to lose two companions in one turn to black fog. Knowing this, bucklers can take out the companion that would be most dangerous to their character and use the buckler's high dodge to prevent instant death. Musketeers are the only class that will still be able to consistently hit but they won't critical against the buckler because of his/her high agility."
-A bucklers high dodge means nothing against the musketeer class or any class with a turn the tide 2 or pirate 2 companion. Besides the pirate hitting along with 2 companions is dealing enough damage to defeat the swash completely. I know this because I have defeated swashes this very same way on my bucc.

"Right now, the purge hidden combo completely destroys buccaneers and privateers because they rely heavily on buffs/shields. Most people do not have/use a scent pet. If you think swashbucklers are limited, you could try using different gear to vary things up."
-Right now privvys are being devastated by every class more so buccaneers than swashbucklers. In terms of power dynamics I rate buccaneers a tier above swashbucklers. If you don't have or use a scent pet get one. The mechanics are there for you to utilize.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
157
Eric Stormbringer on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
"That's the point of purge; you render everyone vulnerable but you get to hit first with your companions. You're not vulnerable if you use purge while you're hidden right now because no one can hit you except with AoE."
-Unless of course you made smart movement choices and forced the swash to use purge the round hidden resolves.

"If you use a raise barricade strategy, you can't move, and the barricade does not block purge magic."
-If you use a raise barricade strategy you pretty much already negated fog(a bucklers only team buff). Seems fair for the buckler to be able to negate your team buffs.

"Bucklers can easily get over 160 dodge even without elusive 3. Also, in theory, the turn you purge, your companions should be able to take out an enemy companion of your choice. Some games, I even manage to lose two companions in one turn to black fog. Knowing this, bucklers can take out the companion that would be most dangerous to their character and use the buckler's high dodge to prevent instant death. Musketeers are the only class that will still be able to consistently hit but they won't critical against the buckler because of his/her high agility."
-A bucklers high dodge means nothing against the musketeer class or any class with a turn the tide 2 or pirate 2 companion. Besides the pirate hitting along with 2 companions is dealing enough damage to defeat the swash completely. I know this because I have defeated swashes this very same way on my bucc.

"Right now, the purge hidden combo completely destroys buccaneers and privateers because they rely heavily on buffs/shields. Most people do not have/use a scent pet. If you think swashbucklers are limited, you could try using different gear to vary things up."
-Right now privvys are being devastated by every class more so buccaneers than swashbucklers. In terms of power dynamics I rate buccaneers a tier above swashbucklers. If you don't have or use a scent pet get one. The mechanics are there for you to utilize.
Smart movement choices? So I'm supposed to run around for four turns? Hide in a corner? If I'm moving every turn you don't have to purge because I won't have any buffs. I can't buff and move in the same turn.

If I use a raise barricade, you can still purge to your hearts content because your companions block the way for me to get out. Even if it removes hidden, nobody will be attacking you.

I already said dodge is ineffective against musketeers. However, they won't critical on you often and if you use all melee companions fog is most effective against musketeers.

I'm not entirely sure pirate works in pvp. If it does, there's no indication of that during gameplay. Things like turn the tide and elusive flash on the screen but pirate doesn't. As for turn the tide two, espirit cancels it out. With riposte three, one block usually means three blocks.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
bluba4 on Aug 31, 2015 wrote:
Smart movement choices? So I'm supposed to run around for four turns? Hide in a corner? If I'm moving every turn you don't have to purge because I won't have any buffs. I can't buff and move in the same turn.

If I use a raise barricade, you can still purge to your hearts content because your companions block the way for me to get out. Even if it removes hidden, nobody will be attacking you.

I already said dodge is ineffective against musketeers. However, they won't critical on you often and if you use all melee companions fog is most effective against musketeers.

I'm not entirely sure pirate works in pvp. If it does, there's no indication of that during gameplay. Things like turn the tide and elusive flash on the screen but pirate doesn't. As for turn the tide two, espirit cancels it out. With riposte three, one block usually means three blocks.
"Smart movement choices? So I'm supposed to run around for four turns? Hide in a corner? If I'm moving every turn you don't have to purge because I won't have any buffs. I can't buff and move in the same turn."
-That's the thing-you don't have to move for 4 rounds. Unless the swash hid within 3 squares of you he will have to spend several turns approaching you along with an additional round casting purge. If you let a swash approach you within 3 squares unopposed without being hidden that's your fault. If a swash starts to approach while hidden then this is when going hidden yourself and spreading your companions would be a good idea. Remember purge has only a 3x3 AoE.

"If I use a raise barricade, you can still purge to your hearts content because your companions block the way for me to get out. Even if it removes hidden, nobody will be attacking you."
-That depends entirely on how you raise the barricade and also who you choose at your point of entry. Many a times when my opponent raises a barricade they utilize themselves hidden or a veng 3 companion killing at least one of my attackers the round I myself attack. Why people expect a consequence free negation of a key class power is beyond me.

"I already said dodge is ineffective against musketeers. However, they won't critical on you often and if you use all melee companions fog is most effective against musketeers."
-No argument here but that really doesn't add anything to your arguments.

"I'm not entirely sure pirate works in pvp. If it does, there's no indication of that during gameplay. Things like turn the tide and elusive flash on the screen but pirate doesn't. As for turn the tide two, espirit cancels it out. With riposte three, one block usually means three blocks."
-I can tell you from experience that a turn the tide pete has full health-0 my swashbuckler before with elusive 3 so something works. Espirit counters espirit and you still receive the turn the tide benefit.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
Just came out of a battle with a buccaneer that I lost to because none of his responsive vengeance, follow through or relentless missed. This is from a swash with 150 dodge and elusive 3. Therefore I can comfortably say the rumors of our doge making us untouchable are greatly exaggerated.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Just came out of a battle with a buccaneer that I lost to because none of his responsive vengeance, follow through or relentless missed. This is from a swash with 150 dodge and elusive 3. Therefore I can comfortably say the rumors of our doge making us untouchable are greatly exaggerated.
I agree. Sitting at 155 dodge on my buckler and i usually get hit with chains by buccaneers. Though i only have elusive 2 right now.
The mechanic for accuracy and dodge is that you have a base of 75% chance to hit, so, the majority of the time, you will hit your target.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
157
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
"Smart movement choices? So I'm supposed to run around for four turns? Hide in a corner? If I'm moving every turn you don't have to purge because I won't have any buffs. I can't buff and move in the same turn."
-That's the thing-you don't have to move for 4 rounds. Unless the swash hid within 3 squares of you he will have to spend several turns approaching you along with an additional round casting purge. If you let a swash approach you within 3 squares unopposed without being hidden that's your fault. If a swash starts to approach while hidden then this is when going hidden yourself and spreading your companions would be a good idea. Remember purge has only a 3x3 AoE.

"If I use a raise barricade, you can still purge to your hearts content because your companions block the way for me to get out. Even if it removes hidden, nobody will be attacking you."
-That depends entirely on how you raise the barricade and also who you choose at your point of entry. Many a times when my opponent raises a barricade they utilize themselves hidden or a veng 3 companion killing at least one of my attackers the round I myself attack. Why people expect a consequence free negation of a key class power is beyond me.

"I already said dodge is ineffective against musketeers. However, they won't critical on you often and if you use all melee companions fog is most effective against musketeers."
-No argument here but that really doesn't add anything to your arguments.

"I'm not entirely sure pirate works in pvp. If it does, there's no indication of that during gameplay. Things like turn the tide and elusive flash on the screen but pirate doesn't. As for turn the tide two, espirit cancels it out. With riposte three, one block usually means three blocks."
-I can tell you from experience that a turn the tide pete has full health-0 my swashbuckler before with elusive 3 so something works. Espirit counters espirit and you still receive the turn the tide benefit.
Swashbucklers get fast 3 and jump; if i stay in my starting position, depending on spawn points the buckler can even reach 3 squares away from me in one turn. In this scenario, if the bucc goes first he has time for two buffs before having to move away. If the buckler goes first and draws fog, the bucc gets one turn to buff. Now I understand the spawn points are not always close, but it still doesn't take "several turns" to reach an opponent's character.

I agree that there should not be "consequence free negation of a key class power." What you seem to be suggesting is that the only way to beat a barricade strategy is to farm bishop for the sprocket key. Now that isn't fair either because bucklers will have to have a specific item and if they don't, then the barricade is "consequence free" according to you. However, you could also realize that the raise barricade is not consequence free because my companions/char on the inside can't get out, which means it's a 1v1 fight on the end. Bring Nausica if you don't like FS3/veng3 and watch her pick off pete or ratbeard no problem. Fort her, use fan/toro for buffs, easy counter to barricade. Also, no matter what, your char is stuck in the middle of the barricade because of placement issues. It would take an extra turn to move my guys around and you can take advantage of that.

By saying dodge is ineffective against musketeers, I was implying that it is effective vs other classes.

If pete can one turn ko your buckler maybe you should drop the purge magic idea and shield yourself. Espirit does not counter espirit because base dodge is greater than base accuracy so the dodge boost will be greater. And don't forget riposte three for your companions.

If purge does not remove hidden, it will be a "consequence free" counter to half of a bucc's power arsenal, not to mention the nail in the coffin for privateers trying to make it in ranked pvp.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
212
bluba4 on Sep 1, 2015 wrote:
Swashbucklers get fast 3 and jump; if i stay in my starting position, depending on spawn points the buckler can even reach 3 squares away from me in one turn. In this scenario, if the bucc goes first he has time for two buffs before having to move away. If the buckler goes first and draws fog, the bucc gets one turn to buff. Now I understand the spawn points are not always close, but it still doesn't take "several turns" to reach an opponent's character.

I agree that there should not be "consequence free negation of a key class power." What you seem to be suggesting is that the only way to beat a barricade strategy is to farm bishop for the sprocket key. Now that isn't fair either because bucklers will have to have a specific item and if they don't, then the barricade is "consequence free" according to you. However, you could also realize that the raise barricade is not consequence free because my companions/char on the inside can't get out, which means it's a 1v1 fight on the end. Bring Nausica if you don't like FS3/veng3 and watch her pick off pete or ratbeard no problem. Fort her, use fan/toro for buffs, easy counter to barricade. Also, no matter what, your char is stuck in the middle of the barricade because of placement issues. It would take an extra turn to move my guys around and you can take advantage of that.

By saying dodge is ineffective against musketeers, I was implying that it is effective vs other classes.

If pete can one turn ko your buckler maybe you should drop the purge magic idea and shield yourself. Espirit does not counter espirit because base dodge is greater than base accuracy so the dodge boost will be greater. And don't forget riposte three for your companions.

If purge does not remove hidden, it will be a "consequence free" counter to half of a bucc's power arsenal, not to mention the nail in the coffin for privateers trying to make it in ranked pvp.
" In this scenario, if the bucc goes first he has time for two buffs before having to move away. If the buckler goes first and draws fog, the bucc gets one turn to buff. Now I understand the spawn points are not always close, but it still doesn't take "several turns" to reach an opponent's character."
-That's only on the smallest board. On every other board the bucc has more time than that hence the several rounds aspect.

"However, you could also realize that the raise barricade is not consequence free because my companions/char on the inside can't get out, which means it's a 1v1 fight on the end. Bring Nausica if you don't like FS3/veng3 and watch her pick off pete or ratbeard no problem. Fort her, use fan/toro for buffs, easy counter to barricade. Also, no matter what, your char is stuck in the middle of the barricade because of placement issues. It would take an extra turn to move my guys around and you can take advantage of that."
-Exactly-positioning and movement limitations are consequences of barricade much as they are consequences of purge. If the fact that you need to move and position is a consequence of barricade why is it similarly not a consequence for purge in your book?

"If pete can one turn ko your buckler maybe you should drop the purge magic idea and shield yourself. Espirit does not counter espirit because base dodge is greater than base accuracy so the dodge boost will be greater. And don't forget riposte three for your companions."
-Espirit counters Espirit because it buffs your companions just as it buffs mine.

"If purge does not remove hidden, it will be a "consequence free" counter to half of a bucc's power arsenal, not to mention the nail in the coffin for privateers trying to make it in ranked pvp."
-As we have established hidden purge is not consequence free, buccaneers are above swash in this meta and privateers need a lot more help than yet another limit to the swashbuckler's hide mechanics.

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
49
Let me just say this: Black fog and any powers used by any other class that has beaten you I pvp is not a huge concern to the entire community. It only affects you, because when your tactics and strategy fails, you blame the other player for using a specific power. This isn't a huge matter, because it only concerns you. There are other ways to counter fog.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
157
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 2, 2015 wrote:
" In this scenario, if the bucc goes first he has time for two buffs before having to move away. If the buckler goes first and draws fog, the bucc gets one turn to buff. Now I understand the spawn points are not always close, but it still doesn't take "several turns" to reach an opponent's character."
-That's only on the smallest board. On every other board the bucc has more time than that hence the several rounds aspect.

"However, you could also realize that the raise barricade is not consequence free because my companions/char on the inside can't get out, which means it's a 1v1 fight on the end. Bring Nausica if you don't like FS3/veng3 and watch her pick off pete or ratbeard no problem. Fort her, use fan/toro for buffs, easy counter to barricade. Also, no matter what, your char is stuck in the middle of the barricade because of placement issues. It would take an extra turn to move my guys around and you can take advantage of that."
-Exactly-positioning and movement limitations are consequences of barricade much as they are consequences of purge. If the fact that you need to move and position is a consequence of barricade why is it similarly not a consequence for purge in your book?

"If pete can one turn ko your buckler maybe you should drop the purge magic idea and shield yourself. Espirit does not counter espirit because base dodge is greater than base accuracy so the dodge boost will be greater. And don't forget riposte three for your companions."
-Espirit counters Espirit because it buffs your companions just as it buffs mine.

"If purge does not remove hidden, it will be a "consequence free" counter to half of a bucc's power arsenal, not to mention the nail in the coffin for privateers trying to make it in ranked pvp."
-As we have established hidden purge is not consequence free, buccaneers are above swash in this meta and privateers need a lot more help than yet another limit to the swashbuckler's hide mechanics.
The smallest board happens to be the one used in ranked...

Taking the extra turn to reposition my char on the end of the barricade is exactly why I don't do it! That's exactly my point. If I take the extra turn to reposition my troops, the buckler can swoop in for the kill while my companions are standing outside the barrier. The difference between purge and barricade is that the player casting the barricade has the movement restriction whereas the player purging has no movement restriction at all! Instead you're imposing a movement restriction on the other player in order for them to avoid losing all protection. That's a huge difference!

Yes espirit buffs both sides if both sides use Toro. However, swashbuckler companions even without dodgy trained have a higher base dodge than any melee class does accuracy. As a result, the dodge buff will be greater than the accuracy buff. Also Toro is more helpful for bucklers because fan has an agility buff whereas buccaneers only come with strength buffs.

I don't see how you've established that hidden purge has any drawbacks. You're claiming you have to move around to hit me with it. However that goes for any of your attacks. You're going to have to reach me anyways so that's not a drawback.

As it stands now, the ONLY counter to hidden purge besides running around and having fast two trained (otherwise you trap me in a corner) is being hidden yourself. The problem with this is that bucklers will always have more hidden powers than any other class so you can wait until all my hides are up, then purge me.

If you think swashbucklers need a buff because somehow barricade is op, purge should not be the answer.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2009
17
i swear at this rate for this update of ranked pvp with buckler just hogging the wins
it will eventually go down and barely anyone will play rank if nothing gonna be changed