Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nausica Too OP?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Apr 06, 2016
Privateer: Fort nausica, Boon, rush, Gg
Swashbuckler:Fog nausica, Espirit rush, Gg
Musketeer: Scartch buff, agile buff Gg

This isn't only me btw, Nausica is a pain for a LOT of people in the pvp chamber. I know there are ways to counter it, but with privateers its a little too OP if you ask me.

What do y'all think?

P.S: I probably won't be able to respond to most replies since my membership will end real soon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DariusMusk on Aug 4, 2017 wrote:
Privateer: Fort nausica, Boon, rush, Gg
Swashbuckler:Fog nausica, Espirit rush, Gg
Musketeer: Scartch buff, agile buff Gg

This isn't only me btw, Nausica is a pain for a LOT of people in the pvp chamber. I know there are ways to counter it, but with privateers its a little too OP if you ask me.

What do y'all think?

P.S: I probably won't be able to respond to most replies since my membership will end real soon
Nausica is not at all OP. There are many posts on these boards dealing with strategies about Nausica. Try a search on dealing with her.
If Nausica isn't hidden then Hold the Line stops her dead in her tracks, unless she's Forted she's extremely vulnerable to attacks.
And even if she is hidden, either FS3 or waiting until her attack reveals her also leaves her vulnerable to attack. I've never seen her completely defeat a companion in a single attack.
You can shield a companion also or go hidden yourself. There's equipment available that can help you.
Emmett's slow down works on her whether or nor she's hidden since it's an AoE power.
Witchdoctor: Old Scratch buff, mojo storm, jobu's embrace bye bye centaur.
Musketeer: Knockback bombs, Chantal sniper shot, Bonnie's scatter blast, Bye bye centaur. ( using a barricade against a hidden Nausica also works. )
Buccaneer: whale's might, leviathan, Hold the line, Vicious charge, Bye bye centaur.
Swashbuckler: FOG! Then any nasty attacks like poison and assassin's strike Bye bye centaur.
Privateer: Emmett slow down, Buff shield buff, egg, Bye bye centaur.

Lieutenant
Sep 04, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 4, 2017 wrote:
Nausica is not at all OP. There are many posts on these boards dealing with strategies about Nausica. Try a search on dealing with her.
If Nausica isn't hidden then Hold the Line stops her dead in her tracks, unless she's Forted she's extremely vulnerable to attacks.
And even if she is hidden, either FS3 or waiting until her attack reveals her also leaves her vulnerable to attack. I've never seen her completely defeat a companion in a single attack.
You can shield a companion also or go hidden yourself. There's equipment available that can help you.
Emmett's slow down works on her whether or nor she's hidden since it's an AoE power.
Witchdoctor: Old Scratch buff, mojo storm, jobu's embrace bye bye centaur.
Musketeer: Knockback bombs, Chantal sniper shot, Bonnie's scatter blast, Bye bye centaur. ( using a barricade against a hidden Nausica also works. )
Buccaneer: whale's might, leviathan, Hold the line, Vicious charge, Bye bye centaur.
Swashbuckler: FOG! Then any nasty attacks like poison and assassin's strike Bye bye centaur.
Privateer: Emmett slow down, Buff shield buff, egg, Bye bye centaur.
Some of these probably wouldn't work against a decent privateer, one fortress and she is a serious tank, you'll bring her close to red then they'll valor armor her

Regardless, I am gonna assume you're a musketeer since Nausica usually wrecks havoc on those teams, I'd say Exeter might be worth investing in, give him overwatch and true grit 3, if he's in front of your companions he can stun her before she massacres everyone else, he can also reduce her damage with his special afterwards, Ratbeard could also do a slightly less good job holding her back until Boon runs out, he'd defiantly need a shield though
Purge can also shut her down pretty effectively after she comes in for the first barrage, remove shields then maybe send a hidden contessa to remove half her health and have your muskets finish her off. If you don't have the Purge item from bishop yet it's definitely worth farming for
Those are the best solutions off the top of my head, remember you can remove fog from Nausica with quick draw 3.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Friendly Jesse Pew on Aug 9, 2017 wrote:
Some of these probably wouldn't work against a decent privateer, one fortress and she is a serious tank, you'll bring her close to red then they'll valor armor her

Regardless, I am gonna assume you're a musketeer since Nausica usually wrecks havoc on those teams, I'd say Exeter might be worth investing in, give him overwatch and true grit 3, if he's in front of your companions he can stun her before she massacres everyone else, he can also reduce her damage with his special afterwards, Ratbeard could also do a slightly less good job holding her back until Boon runs out, he'd defiantly need a shield though
Purge can also shut her down pretty effectively after she comes in for the first barrage, remove shields then maybe send a hidden contessa to remove half her health and have your muskets finish her off. If you don't have the Purge item from bishop yet it's definitely worth farming for
Those are the best solutions off the top of my head, remember you can remove fog from Nausica with quick draw 3.
Quick Draw 3 won't work against a hidden Nausica. AoE attacks won't trigger QD3.

Community Leader
anecorbie on Aug 9, 2017 wrote:
Quick Draw 3 won't work against a hidden Nausica. AoE attacks won't trigger QD3.
Quick draw 3 does work versus Nausica. All of her attacks are single target, none are AOEs

Writer, Editor, Administrator, and Pirate PvP guy at FinalBastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Ensign
Jun 12, 2012
anecorbie on Aug 9, 2017 wrote:
Actually, Quick Draw 3 works against a hidden Nausica since she technically uses a shooty weapon, not a melee weapon that First Strike 3 requires. Even though she needs to move towards an enemy like a melee, she still shoots. There's a reason why she's categorized as a Musket.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Perhaps I need to make myself clearer; I didn't say Nausica has an AoE but that an AoE attack will not trigger QD3. And an AoE attack has the best chance of hitting a hidden Nausica.
QD3 only reacts to another shooty attack. Just as FS3 only reacts to a melee attack.
If you had a choice of who to attack with Nausica would you attack another musketeer who has QD3? Or would you rather go for a melee type? I feel the answer is quite obvious.
The only thing making Nausica "OP" is your attitudes toward her, there is nothing unbeatable in this game; you need to look at your strategies and gear and come up with a way to fight her.
She can be defeated, if you try.

Community Leader
Alright, I'm gonna give my tips to the OP, as someone who has actually made champion in the current meta. I'm assuming you (Vulorian) are a buccaneer. Here's what I'd do to counter her when facing a musket, privy, or swash as a buccaneer.

Musket: There's no real way that they can buff her damage tremendously (No Fog or Boon). She can put out a good deal of damage with buffed agility and a double tap 2, burst 2 setup however. As a bucc, your best bet is to get a levy or fort on your pirate, use Pete's Whale's Might and rush her (Obviously don't rush when a max scratch buff is up though). Since her lowest stat is strength, you should be able to get full relentless and bladestorm chains. A scratch-buffed absorb might make life a bit trickier for you, but the fact that you're likely to have 3 or more strength based units is helpful.

Swash: Invest in a scent 2 pet (ideally one of the Christmas pets with loyal 2). That alone, coupled with the pressure you naturally exert as a buccaneer makes countering Nausica simple. The swash will have two choices if your pet spawns early:
  • Kill the pet, then fog
  • Fog, and sacrifice a unit's attack to kill the pet or ignore it entirely
If they pick option 1, you can rush them before they do that and decimate their team. They do option 2, you just have to tank the pirate and the 2 still hidden units and then Nausica gets chained to death by Pete and company. Buckler can't afford to protect their companions, so Nausica will die in one or two rounds tops.

Privy: This is where it gets very tricky, and not by virtue of Nausica's power. The problem here is Firstmate's Boon. It is disgustingly overpowered when coupled with an offensive companion that can rush, like Nausica or Goro. If you don't carry purge (most bucks don't), you pretty much have to rush Nausica before they can fort and boon her. If they get that combo off, you're in trouble, especially if she gets lucky chains.

Continued in next comment

Community Leader
Continued from previous post

There's one final tip that no one has touched on, and it's arguably the best counter to Nausica, and can be effectively employed by every class: Contessa's Gallant Defense. There currently exists a "glitch" that prevents Nausica from using her 4 guaranteed attacks (super, mega, epic, centaur charge) when Gallant is active. Since Nausica's attacks are considered ranged, they can be intercepted by Contessa even if Contessa is not adjacent to Nausica. However, to attack, Nausica must be adjacent to her target. See the problem? If Nausica is not adjacent to Contessa when she goes to attack, the attack will be intercepted, but it will not go off because the attack only works if Nausica is adjacent to the unit she's attacking.

In closing, the reason why Nausica is so good and considered op by some is not because she is an unbeatable, uncounterable juggernaut. It's the concept of the resource war (a concept most people here fail to grasp) that makes Nausica strong. She's a huge offensive threat if left alive. So yes, it's possible to kill Nausica quickly, but you'll have to sacrifice a lot of resources to do so (Buffs, multiple guaranteed hits, etc). Your opponent does not need to sacrifice nearly as many resources to get value from Nausica. Thus, if you kill her quickly, you'll be behind in the resource war, and you'll have to make up for it later on in the duel, or face a loss, since the winner of the resource war almost always wins the match. You don't kill her quickly, she can wreak havoc.

TLDR: Use a scent 2 pet, Use contessa's Gallant Defense, rush early versus Boon + Nausica Privies. These tips won't guarantee victory, as a smart player will adjust to your adjustments to Nausica and attempt to use them to their advantage