Bonnie Anne Is Terrible!

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Oh my gosh bonnie anne is so horrible for me in pvp! I give her great juju and other buffs and she just does not get burst fire. One time she hit for 63 damage on a hawkules and didn't even burst fire! I hate having to use her! And don't tell me i dont have to, of course i do since she's the only companion with an infinite range heal and it heals quite a lot of hp. Plus she reduces dodge which really helps out, but it doesn't matter about her powers because she doesn't benifit at all! Zeena is much better for me, and i really hate picking bonnie because i always lose with her (and Toro who is epic and Zeena who is epic also) and when i don't pick her i lose because i end up dieing (swashbuckler) and not being able to revive myself so I keep losing with or without her. Someone please give me advice! By the way, i gave her Quick draw, overwatch and Burst fire rank 2.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 53

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
160
Have you been training her damage and Agility? Also, about her hitting 63 damage on Hawkules, did the opposing team buff him with protection spells?

Most of the time, it's about who you target and when you do. Keep her toward the back of the board. Also, keep her range within Zeena's range. If you don't know what I mean, you can look at this guide: http://www.duelist101.com/pirate-chronicles/pretty-pedro-50-swash/the-chronicles-of-pretty-pedro-1-5-2013/
It uses the example of Rooster Cogburn and Bonnie Anne, but the concept is just the same.
Other than this, I don't know if I can give you anymore advice.

Hope this helped just a tiny bit. Forgive me if it doesn't.

~Quick Pearl

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
Lieutenant
May 24, 2009
160
Man, I really don't know what to say about this When I have any companion out, they all always kick major butt. (I'm a Privateer) I do know that Swashbuckler is typically a difficult class to go with, because of the low health and armor. With the Great Juju, you should be getting great results from her. If you need healing try to get some privateer powers. I honestly think you are just having major bad luck. Hope this helps!

Have a Piratey Holiday! Lvl 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 24, 2013 wrote:
Oh my gosh bonnie anne is so horrible for me in pvp! I give her great juju and other buffs and she just does not get burst fire. One time she hit for 63 damage on a hawkules and didn't even burst fire! I hate having to use her! And don't tell me i dont have to, of course i do since she's the only companion with an infinite range heal and it heals quite a lot of hp. Plus she reduces dodge which really helps out, but it doesn't matter about her powers because she doesn't benifit at all! Zeena is much better for me, and i really hate picking bonnie because i always lose with her (and Toro who is epic and Zeena who is epic also) and when i don't pick her i lose because i end up dieing (swashbuckler) and not being able to revive myself so I keep losing with or without her. Someone please give me advice! By the way, i gave her Quick draw, overwatch and Burst fire rank 2.

Merciless Jean Percy, 65
Merciless Jack Ramsey, 53
Instead of quick draw I would give her Double Tap as she frequently takes out an enemy and on a double tap run if she has burst fire x2 she can still use the other one on her next enemy. Overwatch is a good choice for her too. Well done on that one. Her burst fire is only a 35 % chance so it will not always hit, but by giving her x2 you have greatly increased those chances. Having that double tap will give her extra chances to roll that burst fire die too.
Anne is one of those squishies that Ratbeard is talking about when he says to protect them. When you train her be sure to add as much shielding as you can and add life as a balance. Then put Valor's Shield or Valor's Armor on her to protect her and turn her lose and she will do you proud.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Quick Pearl on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Have you been training her damage and Agility? Also, about her hitting 63 damage on Hawkules, did the opposing team buff him with protection spells?

Most of the time, it's about who you target and when you do. Keep her toward the back of the board. Also, keep her range within Zeena's range. If you don't know what I mean, you can look at this guide: http://www.duelist101.com/pirate-chronicles/pretty-pedro-50-swash/the-chronicles-of-pretty-pedro-1-5-2013/
It uses the example of Rooster Cogburn and Bonnie Anne, but the concept is just the same.
Other than this, I don't know if I can give you anymore advice.

Hope this helped just a tiny bit. Forgive me if it doesn't.

~Quick Pearl
I'm pretty sure she just doesn't like me, or i have extreme bad luck. No, the hawkules wasn't protected or shielded, and bonnie had a great juju, she didn't even get a burst fire. And even without the buff, she has much more agility than hawkules (Talentwise i gave bonnie Tough 4, Rough 4, Agile 4 and Accurate 4) so she should have burst fired.
Yeah, i have Zeena and i love her, since burst fire 3 triggers a lot more than 2. But never in one of my pvp matches has bonnie got all of her bursts, only one occassion against a privateer (low agility). I really hate how i have to use her, because if i dont as soon as i die (As a swash I'm at the front of the line dealing heavy damage) I can't revive myself. Yeah, i've seen the guide also, and i do the whole "kill zone" thing.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
288
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Instead of quick draw I would give her Double Tap as she frequently takes out an enemy and on a double tap run if she has burst fire x2 she can still use the other one on her next enemy. Overwatch is a good choice for her too. Well done on that one. Her burst fire is only a 35 % chance so it will not always hit, but by giving her x2 you have greatly increased those chances. Having that double tap will give her extra chances to roll that burst fire die too.
Anne is one of those squishies that Ratbeard is talking about when he says to protect them. When you train her be sure to add as much shielding as you can and add life as a balance. Then put Valor's Shield or Valor's Armor on her to protect her and turn her lose and she will do you proud.
Wait, she has double tap by default (sorry i didn't make it clear before). And about putting valor's shield/fort/armor on her will not help, i'd never use it on her since she does not benifit, and i have tried it before. I'd rather put it on myself, since i deal way more damage (max is 1900 with an assassin's strike epic hit). And if she gets low she NEVER bursts! It's like she has some sort of elusive that makes things worse when she's under 50% health, or something like that. Yeah, i've given her the best talents Tough 4, rough 4, Agile 4 and Accurate 4 yet she ends up missing zeena and triggering Zeena's return fire and then it super criticals .
There are no other companions like her, none with a heal like hers, or a dodge reduction combined and good epic talents.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
I have to say bonnie Anne is not the best at lvl 20+ she doesn't give out much damage I gave her quick draw and burst fire but her burst fires always do as much damage as lvl 11s
Lefty is better than her his burst fires do more along with overwatch lefty is way better that bonnie unless they do a damage update for bonnie i dont think ill use her much but she is good for taking out enemies with her double tap that's the only time I let her really fight she is not one of my boss battle choices
I would go lefty bones McGee and scorpius there my ultimate crew
Lvl 24

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Instead of quick draw I would give her Double Tap as she frequently takes out an enemy and on a double tap run if she has burst fire x2 she can still use the other one on her next enemy. Overwatch is a good choice for her too. Well done on that one. Her burst fire is only a 35 % chance so it will not always hit, but by giving her x2 you have greatly increased those chances. Having that double tap will give her extra chances to roll that burst fire die too.
Anne is one of those squishies that Ratbeard is talking about when he says to protect them. When you train her be sure to add as much shielding as you can and add life as a balance. Then put Valor's Shield or Valor's Armor on her to protect her and turn her lose and she will do you proud.
Yeah when I promote her agin I'm getting overarching for her

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
Wait, she has double tap by default (sorry i didn't make it clear before). And about putting valor's shield/fort/armor on her will not help, i'd never use it on her since she does not benifit, and i have tried it before. I'd rather put it on myself, since i deal way more damage (max is 1900 with an assassin's strike epic hit). And if she gets low she NEVER bursts! It's like she has some sort of elusive that makes things worse when she's under 50% health, or something like that. Yeah, i've given her the best talents Tough 4, rough 4, Agile 4 and Accurate 4 yet she ends up missing zeena and triggering Zeena's return fire and then it super criticals .
There are no other companions like her, none with a heal like hers, or a dodge reduction combined and good epic talents.
OH, my bad, sorry. It's been a while since I trained a Bonnie Anne from scratch and I forgot what she comes with.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
I also got skyfire with same stuff as my bonnie Anne since skyfire already has double tap I gave skyfire quick draw and burst fire so I need a damage upgrade for bonnie because she has a sleep tag on her now

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
160
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
I'm pretty sure she just doesn't like me, or i have extreme bad luck. No, the hawkules wasn't protected or shielded, and bonnie had a great juju, she didn't even get a burst fire. And even without the buff, she has much more agility than hawkules (Talentwise i gave bonnie Tough 4, Rough 4, Agile 4 and Accurate 4) so she should have burst fired.
Yeah, i have Zeena and i love her, since burst fire 3 triggers a lot more than 2. But never in one of my pvp matches has bonnie got all of her bursts, only one occassion against a privateer (low agility). I really hate how i have to use her, because if i dont as soon as i die (As a swash I'm at the front of the line dealing heavy damage) I can't revive myself. Yeah, i've seen the guide also, and i do the whole "kill zone" thing.
Well, have you tried keeping her back some more? Also, do you use Scatterblast at all during the match? One more question, did she only have one buff, or did she have multiple buffs?

Maybe it would help if you stepped back to look at the strategy you use with your pirate. Don't rely so heavily on your companions. As a Swashbuckler, we can't really support our companions with buffs, other than the team hiding power. (Even then, I almost find no point in it.) Since we can train buffs (Juju and Wind Spirit I believe), and get buffs from equipment, then this problem should be solved.

Step back to look at your playing style with your pirate and your companions. It always helps. It might not be Bonnie Anne that is necessarily leading you to a loss, but maybe it could be some other factor.

~Quick Pearl

P.S. Apologies if you find this useless.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
160
witchdoctor daruis on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
I have to say bonnie Anne is not the best at lvl 20+ she doesn't give out much damage I gave her quick draw and burst fire but her burst fires always do as much damage as lvl 11s
Lefty is better than her his burst fires do more along with overwatch lefty is way better that bonnie unless they do a damage update for bonnie i dont think ill use her much but she is good for taking out enemies with her double tap that's the only time I let her really fight she is not one of my boss battle choices
I would go lefty bones McGee and scorpius there my ultimate crew
Lvl 24
Death Wiz is a maxed leveled Swashbuckler and has Bonnie Anne promoted to Highlander, or the final rank that she can achieve. (Death Wiz, feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong.) Swashbucklers don't get Scorpius unless he is bought from the Crowns Shop, as well as Bones McGee, I believe.

~Quick Pearl

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
OK I did some checking on my youngest Chrissy, a level 22 privateer. Her Bonnie is level 21 and has burst fire and overwatch. I trained her in: Damage x2, Agility, Accuracy,& Life. I plan on changing that life to another accuracy as my level 29 Chrissy, a swashbuckler has a level 27 Bonnie that is trained with the same epics but with Damage x2 Agility x2 & Accuracy x2 and I use her for every boss fight and she is one of my best power hitters. I will add the life boost later as I get more abilities. She is my first mate and regularly kicks tush. She burst fires almost every turn.
So some of this may just be bad luck.
My level 65 Bonnie Anne is a serious contender. She has her standard, Stock Assault, heal, dodge reducing blast, & double tap. I have trained her in:Burstfire x2, overwatch and quick draw just like you did so maybe the difference is in the ability training. She has Damage x4, Agility x4, Accuracy x4 & Health x4 giving her the numbers of: Damage 212-341, Agility 93, Accuracy 145, & Health of 2755. Maybe the extra health and accuracy is helping?

Your other choice of training the shield against magical damage is the only difference from my training. I went for was extra life to get those hits in and you went for shielding.
That shouldn't affect her burst fire. I just know that my Bonnie burst fires a lot, I am just not sure what helps it. Perhaps it is just as it says, a 35% chance and the die just has not been rolling in your favor. I went for the extra life because I get so much damage from her so I am kind of at a loss.
Granted she doesn't do near the damage of my Necromancer pig but she is one of my strong ones. She gets in so many extra hits with the burst fire and the over watch along with the quick draw it just all adds up for me.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
160
witchdoctor daruis on Dec 26, 2013 wrote:
I have to say bonnie Anne is not the best at lvl 20+ she doesn't give out much damage I gave her quick draw and burst fire but her burst fires always do as much damage as lvl 11s
Lefty is better than her his burst fires do more along with overwatch lefty is way better that bonnie unless they do a damage update for bonnie i dont think ill use her much but she is good for taking out enemies with her double tap that's the only time I let her really fight she is not one of my boss battle choices
I would go lefty bones McGee and scorpius there my ultimate crew
Lvl 24
you'll give up on that so called "Dream Team" by book 8. bonnie promotes, giving another epic and a major agility boost. and BTW, i know that your new, but by the time you max out you'll look at every other companion you mentioned like they are worthless compared to bonnie. scorpius is outranked by just about every other buckler in the game, at just about every level. lefty was decent until MB and AQ where Private Mills swooped in with more epics, and better stats. Bones McGee, really? He is ranking for one of the worst musket spots, next to Tricky Vinny, Crazy Monquistador, and the Water mole Sling man. He has awful stats and epic choices, only a few promotions, and is overall one of those companions you put up front just because you get them at the PC's level, even though your other guys would be better if they were at the same lv. I would suggest reseting bonnie, and giving her burst and overwatch, and then maybe quick when she promotes again, for you'll need it with all the magnificent 7 shootouts and about half the fights in miranda. i run her with double (starter), burst 2, quick, and watch. max out accuracy, agility, power and resistance. and, just a tip, please don't give a final verdict on something until you know (or in this case played with) all the facts.

-F.R. Holystone
lv 65

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
Elemutation on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
you'll give up on that so called "Dream Team" by book 8. bonnie promotes, giving another epic and a major agility boost. and BTW, i know that your new, but by the time you max out you'll look at every other companion you mentioned like they are worthless compared to bonnie. scorpius is outranked by just about every other buckler in the game, at just about every level. lefty was decent until MB and AQ where Private Mills swooped in with more epics, and better stats. Bones McGee, really? He is ranking for one of the worst musket spots, next to Tricky Vinny, Crazy Monquistador, and the Water mole Sling man. He has awful stats and epic choices, only a few promotions, and is overall one of those companions you put up front just because you get them at the PC's level, even though your other guys would be better if they were at the same lv. I would suggest reseting bonnie, and giving her burst and overwatch, and then maybe quick when she promotes again, for you'll need it with all the magnificent 7 shootouts and about half the fights in miranda. i run her with double (starter), burst 2, quick, and watch. max out accuracy, agility, power and resistance. and, just a tip, please don't give a final verdict on something until you know (or in this case played with) all the facts.

-F.R. Holystone
lv 65
Really leftys burst fires are high damaging and often and it's not rank 2 along with over watch he is best he does get a promotion so I'm getting double tap then because he always kills enemies
Bones McGee works for me with lefty because of parting shot double tap and scorpius is bad now id use my sky snake or birgus patrol with heaps of epics my sky snake has heaps of health
I know they will be bad later on but now this games easy with them and I get all side quest companions I don't care if there bad it's still a game