Blast of Discord OP plz nerf

1
AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
Seriously have you seen the sheer amount of power this thing has it is completely luck based and is impossible to counter. Blast of Discord is officially impossible to counter as it only works when your team is grouped up, when does this work? First round. Not to mention the fact that this is luck based to an insane level. Blast of discord, it can do absolutely nothing or it can one round your character before he even moves, this happened to me in a ranked match and tell me, how is this not banned yet?

Ensign
Dec 22, 2012
35
It isn't impossible to counter. First, it only elicit one hit from each person if they are grouped in. Second, it doesn't trigger any talents, like Burst Fire or Relentless, because if it did ... then it would be a problem. Third, they can miss. And again, it won't trigger Riposte or any other talent so worst case scenario is about 200-300 health shaved off the crew hit with discord, if they all hit.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
Quite Jacques on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Seriously have you seen the sheer amount of power this thing has it is completely luck based and is impossible to counter. Blast of Discord is officially impossible to counter as it only works when your team is grouped up, when does this work? First round. Not to mention the fact that this is luck based to an insane level. Blast of discord, it can do absolutely nothing or it can one round your character before he even moves, this happened to me in a ranked match and tell me, how is this not banned yet?
I find it ironic that a swashbuckler has the nerve to point at another class's power and yell "OP"; especially as you know it's luck based.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
Justin Chamberlain on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
It isn't impossible to counter. First, it only elicit one hit from each person if they are grouped in. Second, it doesn't trigger any talents, like Burst Fire or Relentless, because if it did ... then it would be a problem. Third, they can miss. And again, it won't trigger Riposte or any other talent so worst case scenario is about 200-300 health shaved off the crew hit with discord, if they all hit.
It IS impossible to counter, the first turn when they go first they use it, you have no time to fort or hide or split up because they went FIRST. Secondly if you have seen it in action it does a RANDOM amount of hits this makes it luck based and basically no skill involved in its use, it has literally one rounded my character before I could move.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
I find it ironic that a swashbuckler has the nerve to point at another class's power and yell "OP"; especially as you know it's luck based.
I main privateer, I have for a year, privateer never needed blast of discord. The fact is blast of discord IS luck based that's why it is op. How can you "Prepare" for blast of discord if they go first, use it, and it can vary from nothing to auto win? Not to mention the fact I don't believe it goes along with the concept of the class, Privateer a strategic class using precise planning, prediction, and support to slowly work their way to victory. Blast of Discord,
round one, I will make a move with no knowledge of any guess of how it will work, I may just win before they can do anything so why not?

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2011
133
Even though this power is luck-based, it is still too strong to be allowed in round 1 of a PVP match. If the discord is very effective, then it has the potential to kill a pirate before that pirate even has a turn. That should not be allowed to happen in any PVP match.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2011
133
Justin Chamberlain on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
It isn't impossible to counter. First, it only elicit one hit from each person if they are grouped in. Second, it doesn't trigger any talents, like Burst Fire or Relentless, because if it did ... then it would be a problem. Third, they can miss. And again, it won't trigger Riposte or any other talent so worst case scenario is about 200-300 health shaved off the crew hit with discord, if they all hit.
And no, this is not true, it has the ability to chain hits. I got down to yellow health first round when it was used against me, and another veteran PVPer, Alex, was just one hit away from being killed (maybe 200 health left) after it was used against him in the first round of a ranked match. Maybe he can comment if he sees this as well...

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
83
I have an idea. Mighty folks over at KI, make it so Blast( or Wrath if your name is Jeremy) of Discord if not allowed to be used R1. That gives everyone enough time to spread out, fort, whatever.

Really wondering why this power is in the game,
Matthew Walker

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
146
Yea. Blast of Discord needs to be changed so it cannot be used turn one before the opponent has a chance to react.

Yesterday I had a ranked game where the Privateer went first. Uses blast of discord, my Witchdoctor is put down to 800 health on turn 1 before I even got to see my powers. On that same turn, his Scratch uses mojo flow too. So next turn I am forced to heal or shield, or else his big guns boosted by mojo flow has the potential to kill me. I shield, since I didn't get any heal, and then next turn the big guns put me down to 200 health. All in the span of 2 turns with me only getting one turn to do anything.

This shouldn't happen in PvP. Getting someone so low before they even get the chance to react is not fair for the other party. That is the reason you are frozen turn 1, so that you cannot charge turn 1 before the opponent can react. That is the reason there are obstacles in the middle, so you cannnot snipe or mournsong the enemy to death turn one before they get to react. So why is Blast of Discord being treated differently?

Yes, the power is very luck based. Half the time it won't do any meaningful damage or affect the duel much. But the times when it does, it feels horrible to be in the receiving end of it.

It should not be able to do this much turn 1. Seriously. Just reduce the range or somehow make it unsable turn one. After that, it is my problem if I decide to stay grouped and get hit by it when against a Privateer, that is just me being a bad player. But being reduced to 800 health before I can even react? What a joke.

I ended up winning the duel because the Privateer I went against didn't seem to be too experienced with PvP, but any other decent player would have destroyed me after being down to 800 health turn one.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
95
Ditto!

I myself started a battle vs a privateer with only 769 health left on my pirate in ranked because of this luck based power. I was able to win in the end, but then again I have been in worse situations. The only difference in those worse situations that I've been in is that they were not on round ONE.

People who know me in the PvP community know that I'd be one of the last to complain about an "op" power, though in this case I can not ignore the advantage that one lucky, unavoidable Blast of Discord can (in reality) end a match before it has even begun.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
126
I agree after testing it out myself in ranked, and it being tested out on me the power is too much of a dice throw sometimes it does around 500-600 damage other times well over 2000 and there's no real way to avoid it turn 1 best case scenario you go first and shield yourself however you can't shield all your companions. I understand the power is supposed to be used versus summons so what's wrong with turning it off turn 1?

If anything that can be compensated by increasing its chances slightly, it's current formula still confuses me I believed it was supposed to work on the enemy companions will + some rng however when I used it once against a musketeer his chantal attacked once and his scratch attacked at least 6 times so i've very confused does it work more against high will companions then? Cause when they use it against me my march and emmet get more attacks in than my egg shen does

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
119
Sunny Wolf on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
I agree after testing it out myself in ranked, and it being tested out on me the power is too much of a dice throw sometimes it does around 500-600 damage other times well over 2000 and there's no real way to avoid it turn 1 best case scenario you go first and shield yourself however you can't shield all your companions. I understand the power is supposed to be used versus summons so what's wrong with turning it off turn 1?

If anything that can be compensated by increasing its chances slightly, it's current formula still confuses me I believed it was supposed to work on the enemy companions will + some rng however when I used it once against a musketeer his chantal attacked once and his scratch attacked at least 6 times so i've very confused does it work more against high will companions then? Cause when they use it against me my march and emmet get more attacks in than my egg shen does
I believe the chances for BoD are as follows:
Base chance of 75% to trigger
Base chance of 75% chance to hit a random adjacent target
Increases chance to trigger based on how much health they have lost(in some fashion)
Increases chance to trigger based on how much higher will you have compared to said target(Not sure on this one).

With your scenario there, while scratch/Emmett have a theoretical higher chance than Egg Shen, it is still possible for them to get less hit than Egg Shen. It's all in the RNG.

I might be wrong, but hopefully this clears up what the chances are based on :)

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
396
Quite Jacques on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
Seriously have you seen the sheer amount of power this thing has it is completely luck based and is impossible to counter. Blast of Discord is officially impossible to counter as it only works when your team is grouped up, when does this work? First round. Not to mention the fact that this is luck based to an insane level. Blast of discord, it can do absolutely nothing or it can one round your character before he even moves, this happened to me in a ranked match and tell me, how is this not banned yet?
It's not quite op.
While it can be at times, take, for example, the poison shroud combo.
It either goes terribly right, or terribly wrong.

This is the same way. It's completely luck based, as you yourself said. Ergo, it has a chance at being super powerful. Doesn't mean it will be powerful - could be a complete flop!

Look at that special bucc charge, the one that keeps attacking until a miss or death. That has only two ways with the same end - a successful attack with a possible death, or a misfire putting you in a bad position. While the second example may overstate my point, as Discord is not that risky, I believe it gets the gist across.

DOn't condemn something because it's a shock - try something new, you'r smart, you'll figure something out!

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
83
Well Noahdd, 2 things. One, I hope it is irony that you said you'r smart. You'r isn't a word or conjunction, but let's stop sounding like 5th grade LA teachers. Number 2 is, well, we can't adapt. If somebody can deal damage to us before we have a silver of a chance, how is that fair? What do you want us to do(besides stop complaining)? Your answer is the same as ours, nothing! That is why Cheese of Cheesiness is cheese.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
143
noahdd on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
It's not quite op.
While it can be at times, take, for example, the poison shroud combo.
It either goes terribly right, or terribly wrong.

This is the same way. It's completely luck based, as you yourself said. Ergo, it has a chance at being super powerful. Doesn't mean it will be powerful - could be a complete flop!

Look at that special bucc charge, the one that keeps attacking until a miss or death. That has only two ways with the same end - a successful attack with a possible death, or a misfire putting you in a bad position. While the second example may overstate my point, as Discord is not that risky, I believe it gets the gist across.

DOn't condemn something because it's a shock - try something new, you'r smart, you'll figure something out!
You basically suggested something with out looking at all at the facts and thoughts explained so far. There is NOTHING you can do to first turn blast of discord. The reason Blast Of Discord is OP is because it's luck based. What power should have the potential to one round your enemy before they even have a single turn to act?
Oh worth mentioning I have found only one solution to first turn blast of discord killing your pirate, 1! Which is having a full level 1 team so as they don't kill you.

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
396
HoodooNerd on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Well Noahdd, 2 things. One, I hope it is irony that you said you'r smart. You'r isn't a word or conjunction, but let's stop sounding like 5th grade LA teachers. Number 2 is, well, we can't adapt. If somebody can deal damage to us before we have a silver of a chance, how is that fair? What do you want us to do(besides stop complaining)? Your answer is the same as ours, nothing! That is why Cheese of Cheesiness is cheese.
Sry about the grammer - bad lag. It is irony, like steel is iron-y.

In answer to Quiet Jaques, you never found that answer, you over-exaggerate, as I did. BE fair as ell, i've used it a good amount in pvp, and it never killed anyone, simply "tenderized" them. That may be different if the targets are all, without deviance, witchdoctor, simply because of how spooky and staffy attacks shake things up. An answer may be to up the agility you have by hatching - it's fairly easy to get once you have the right hatch, tends to pop out right away.

I didn't come to start arguments, but I basically came to repeat something our beloved Ratbeard said - You're smart and you're sneaky. I have no doubt that at least the swashbucklers should find a loophole that's easy to employ. Maybe Magic Resistance is taken into account, because i've triggered it sometimes on witchdoctors (not always in pvp) and they've hardly done it. Maybe that lowers the likelihood. But the point is - You will eventually prevail! Remember, this is not some life-altering change that just suddenly happened. The terminator didn't just wipe out wherever that place is. It's a game. Don't forget your superpowers either! Witches summon armies in rounds, Buccs tear through those, swashes just avoid those all together, and Muskets simply make a wall, then shoot. If this is OP, then sure, go ahead, nerf it. I dare ya! But nerf all summons, all buff, all shadows, all teleports, all traps, all barricades, all special attacks too! "Gamechanging" is not something you've never seen before! "OP" is not a new shout. Remember,, you will eventually prevail, and find a way around it. Personally, I put touch and armored on mine.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
28
One could also say hidden is OP and cheating and shouldn't be allowed but we still have it. One could also say witch doctors range isOP and cheating and shouldn't be allowed but we still have it. One could also say that all of the damage blocking powers Buc has is OP and cheating and shouldn't be allowed but we still have it.One could also say that trick shots is OP and cheating and shouldn't be allowed but we.still.have.it.

Thats the thing. IT'S NOT UNFAIR its completely fair and for the record doesnt do much most of the time. Every class has power and now Privy has um 1 more resepect for our choice of class because some people are downright disrepectful when they win a PVP match. 2 there is a new sense of caution that we arent the class who can jusy boost and heal.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
I find it ironic that a swashbuckler has the nerve to point at another class's power and yell "OP"; especially as you know it's luck based.
There are always luck factors in battle.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Quite Jacques on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
I main privateer, I have for a year, privateer never needed blast of discord. The fact is blast of discord IS luck based that's why it is op. How can you "Prepare" for blast of discord if they go first, use it, and it can vary from nothing to auto win? Not to mention the fact I don't believe it goes along with the concept of the class, Privateer a strategic class using precise planning, prediction, and support to slowly work their way to victory. Blast of Discord,
round one, I will make a move with no knowledge of any guess of how it will work, I may just win before they can do anything so why not?
The time it does nothing can be detrimental to a privateer who didn't use that turn to buff for the oncoming attack. It's a move of risk.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
HoodooNerd on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
I have an idea. Mighty folks over at KI, make it so Blast( or Wrath if your name is Jeremy) of Discord if not allowed to be used R1. That gives everyone enough time to spread out, fort, whatever.

Really wondering why this power is in the game,
Matthew Walker
This power is in the game because ki asked for new power ideas from people who write on these boards well guess what? They selected some of your ideas!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
732
This talent is powerful and when it hits, it can be a force to be reckon with. Plus it can't be countered and avoided. How to defend yourself from this talent

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
230
anecorbie on Jun 22, 2016 wrote:
I find it ironic that a swashbuckler has the nerve to point at another class's power and yell "OP"; especially as you know it's luck based.
This game tends to be a little annoying with luck based powers. Every time I see a privateer use it, I'd say a enemy attacks another enemy at least 5 times.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Monkrinx2024 on Jul 4, 2016 wrote:
This talent is powerful and when it hits, it can be a force to be reckon with. Plus it can't be countered and avoided. How to defend yourself from this talent
It is blocked when the enemy units dodge.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
May 01, 2012
29
In all reality, this is just a buffed version of charm, except your crew is not under control of the enemy for an entire round, only the opponent's.

That being said, I don't think this power deserves a nerf, but rather, it should be countered. I'd say that the easiest way to do this, is to buff your dodge out beyond all comprehension. Blast of Discord only works until the "charmed" individual misses a hit, so give all of your characters an insane amount of dodge. Once your companions all miss, it's over and you can go on with your life. Probably not the most efficient solution as it may require you to drop other stats, but it would at least counter the Privateer class. Another trick worth trying is raising your health, armor, and resistance to high amounts so that you can resist the damage output of Blast of Discord, but those are just some of my simple solutions that have worked...

If KI should decide to nerf the move, I don't think they should change anything but the accuracy and the range, that way, one can at least prepare. If they nerf this too much, it will become utterly useless, mostly in PvE, which is not needed at this time.

"Seems everyone's fine with it when it's against "OP" Valencian enemies, but won't except the retribution themselves." ~ Definitely not one of my quotes...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
Davy Jones on Jul 5, 2016 wrote:
In all reality, this is just a buffed version of charm, except your crew is not under control of the enemy for an entire round, only the opponent's.

That being said, I don't think this power deserves a nerf, but rather, it should be countered. I'd say that the easiest way to do this, is to buff your dodge out beyond all comprehension. Blast of Discord only works until the "charmed" individual misses a hit, so give all of your characters an insane amount of dodge. Once your companions all miss, it's over and you can go on with your life. Probably not the most efficient solution as it may require you to drop other stats, but it would at least counter the Privateer class. Another trick worth trying is raising your health, armor, and resistance to high amounts so that you can resist the damage output of Blast of Discord, but those are just some of my simple solutions that have worked...

If KI should decide to nerf the move, I don't think they should change anything but the accuracy and the range, that way, one can at least prepare. If they nerf this too much, it will become utterly useless, mostly in PvE, which is not needed at this time.

"Seems everyone's fine with it when it's against "OP" Valencian enemies, but won't except the retribution themselves." ~ Definitely not one of my quotes...
Except when the privy goes first and except when dodge doesn't counter it.....

1