Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Archery. Magic or Physical damage?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
So I have a question that is born from what OTHERS have told me vs what I have read on pirate101 official web sight. And its concerning the ranged companions specifically Nausica and possibly Zeena who used a bow instead of a spark thrower.

Now every time I have asked weather Nausica does magical or physical damage everyone says "they do magic damage" or "all muskets do magic damage." But is this true? I know the moderators dont like links on these forums too often, but as I am linking it to their own official website hopefully its ok. Here is the page that leads to my confusion.

https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/players_guide/classes/attributes

Half way down that page you will see the explanation that explains that even though they are boosted by agility bows do physical damage. Does that apply only to pirates or companions as well? And is it currently accurate or did something fall through the cracks? (I know you game makers have a lot on your plate and its hard to keep up with the many MANY different weapons and the way they are supposed to work. On top of companions and everything else. Thank you for all your efforts.)

Now...I am assuming most players havent read this like I have. So I am asking for some OFFICIAL clarification. When Nausica rushes and shoots someone is her damage physical or magical? Also if a player had a weapon that is both shooty AND slashy...does it doe physical or magical damage or both? I think this is clarification that could be beneficial for the MANY people who have told me otherwise.

I tried to make the actual questions underlined.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Thomas Sunhammer on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
So I have a question that is born from what OTHERS have told me vs what I have read on pirate101 official web sight. And its concerning the ranged companions specifically Nausica and possibly Zeena who used a bow instead of a spark thrower.

Now every time I have asked weather Nausica does magical or physical damage everyone says "they do magic damage" or "all muskets do magic damage." But is this true? I know the moderators dont like links on these forums too often, but as I am linking it to their own official website hopefully its ok. Here is the page that leads to my confusion.

Half way down that page you will see the explanation that explains that even though they are boosted by agility bows do physical damage. Does that apply only to pirates or companions as well? And is it currently accurate or did something fall through the cracks? (I know you game makers have a lot on your plate and its hard to keep up with the many MANY different weapons and the way they are supposed to work. On top of companions and everything else. Thank you for all your efforts.)

Now...I am assuming most players havent read this like I have. So I am asking for some OFFICIAL clarification. When Nausica rushes and shoots someone is her damage physical or magical? Also if a player had a weapon that is both shooty AND slashy...does it doe physical or magical damage or both? I think this is clarification that could be beneficial for the MANY people who have told me otherwise.

You can always tell based on the colors

White-Critical
Red- Physical
Yellow-Magical

As such Nausica deals physical damage

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013

I'll try my best to explain:

As far as ranged attacks go, they can be either/or, and it does not particularly depend on the weapon: Most do deal magical, however Nausica deals physical damage. While this can be explained because she has a bow, Zeena deals magical damage and she has a bow, so it depends on the character(who knows, maybe she is secretly a wizard?).

For hybrids it depends on which is labeled first: Ex. Staffy/Melee is first off staffy, so it deals magical damage. Melee/Shooty weapons are first melee, so they by default do physical damage. It can deal either magical or physical damage depending on the power(ex. Charge line is always physical, while ranged criticals and ranged powers are still magical)

If you ever get confused, remember that red = physical damage, and yellow=magical damage

I'm no one official, but I hoped this clears things up :)

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

Actually I asked about that a while ago on Central.

The general rule is: bow do physical damage, and guns do magical damage.

However there are exceptions: Skyfire and I think Zeena do magical damage despite the fact they use a bow.

You can see for yourself, red damage numbers is physical, yellow is magical.

As for combo weapons, I'm not sure... I assume shooty/slashy is physical at least.

It probably has to do with base stat too, for example will-based weapons do magical damage, unless yet again there are exceptions...

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012

This was previously discussed here:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/some-powers-not-reflecting-weapons-8ad6a4144ff945a30150096497e413eb/8ad6a4184ff945ac015016a119f11c48?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4184ff945ac015016a119f11c48

1.) It applies to players and companions.

2.) Nausica damage is physical.

3.) It does one or the other depending on the weapon itself. For the purposes you are referring to, combo weapons register as either ranged or melee.....not both (and their associated physical OR magical properties). I believe the higher stat of the two available stats is the one that determines the properties or it always defaults to melee for that check (defaulting to melee might be outdated info now).

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/pyrrhic-set-wont-let-me-use-assassins-strike-8ad6a41440a010a70140b6e7c5324196/8ad6a41740a010a40140bca112636644?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41740a010a40140bca112636644

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/weapon-combos-not-using-correct-bonus-8ad6a4143ed59e43013eda0eba3e3bcb/8ad6a4173f137412013f243befff3978?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4173f137412013f243befff3978

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/a-couple-new-glitches-i-found-8ad6a4173b6a6202013bb24b09b71eca/8ad6a4193b6a6213013bb3cfee0a5e72?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4193b6a6213013bb3cfee0a5e72

Developer
Stormy Sam Templet... on Oct 22, 2015 wrote:
I'll try my best to explain:

As far as ranged attacks go, they can be either/or, and it does not particularly depend on the weapon: Most do deal magical, however Nausica deals physical damage. While this can be explained because she has a bow, Zeena deals magical damage and she has a bow, so it depends on the character(who knows, maybe she is secretly a wizard?).

For hybrids it depends on which is labeled first: Ex. Staffy/Melee is first off staffy, so it deals magical damage. Melee/Shooty weapons are first melee, so they by default do physical damage. It can deal either magical or physical damage depending on the power(ex. Charge line is always physical, while ranged criticals and ranged powers are still magical)

If you ever get confused, remember that red = physical damage, and yellow=magical damage

I'm no one official, but I hoped this clears things up :)
Most do deal magical, however Nausica deals physical damage. While this can be explained because she has a bow, Zeena deals magical damage and she has a bow, so it depends on the character(who knows, maybe she is secretly a wizard?).

There's not really a science to it. Generally speaking we just look at the art assets that are delivered and make a call.

Zeena's bow shoots arrows of fire? Looks like magical/energy damage to me.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Ratbeard on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
Most do deal magical, however Nausica deals physical damage. While this can be explained because she has a bow, Zeena deals magical damage and she has a bow, so it depends on the character(who knows, maybe she is secretly a wizard?).

There's not really a science to it. Generally speaking we just look at the art assets that are delivered and make a call.

Zeena's bow shoots arrows of fire? Looks like magical/energy damage to me.
Hmm except the official sight I mentioned in my original post say the exact opposite Mr. Ratbeard.

Quote: Crossbows deal Physical damage (even if firing Fire arrows).

That was a direct quote that specifically mentions what you just said. So this is why I am confused.

As per the colored numbers thing determining the "type" of damage could someone give me a reference to that page? I have heard that theory before. But then there are loads of "theorys" in pirate101. Not that I dont believe you Its just I like reading things from their official source if there is one :) Thx for replying guys.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Oran from Urz on Oct 23, 2015 wrote:
This was previously discussed here:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/some-powers-not-reflecting-weapons-8ad6a4144ff945a30150096497e413eb/8ad6a4184ff945ac015016a119f11c48?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4184ff945ac015016a119f11c48

1.) It applies to players and companions.

2.) Nausica damage is physical.

3.) It does one or the other depending on the weapon itself. For the purposes you are referring to, combo weapons register as either ranged or melee.....not both (and their associated physical OR magical properties). I believe the higher stat of the two available stats is the one that determines the properties or it always defaults to melee for that check (defaulting to melee might be outdated info now).

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/pyrrhic-set-wont-let-me-use-assassins-strike-8ad6a41440a010a70140b6e7c5324196/8ad6a41740a010a40140bca112636644?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41740a010a40140bca112636644

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/weapon-combos-not-using-correct-bonus-8ad6a4143ed59e43013eda0eba3e3bcb/8ad6a4173f137412013f243befff3978?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4173f137412013f243befff3978

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-shipyards/a-couple-new-glitches-i-found-8ad6a4173b6a6202013bb24b09b71eca/8ad6a4193b6a6213013bb3cfee0a5e72?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4193b6a6213013bb3cfee0a5e72
Thank you for the links to the other pages. This answers my dual weapon question very nicely thank you. I am fairly certain I understand that one now.

I still have issues with the color of damage reflecting what type is actually done and weather that is a concrete rule or not. But for the most part this does explain why Nausica does more damage to my musket than i do to her. As well as a few other things.