Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A few things for Witchdoctors in Pvp

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
I would just like to address a few suggestions concerning specifically for Witchdoctors(companions for the most part) to get a bit more variety in choices between them.

Witch Hunter: The main issue I have here is that Witchdoctors who have this talent chain to other Witchdoctors with Witch Hunter. Since you can get both this and Intuition on most companions, they can get two chances to hit(and whatever chains possible) before the opponent can even chain to it. If the opposing Witchdoctor has Witch Hunter, you can attack first and still have the first hit, even a free two this for compaions with Witch Hunter and Intuition. Also, I have noticed that Witch Hunter seems to have its damage based on spell power, as it seemed to ignore the damage debuff given by an opposing Witch Hunter. Mainly what I want to see is Witch Hunter to not chain to itself on Witchdoctors(Intuition chaining to Witch Hunter is fine imo), because it can be quite the mess.

Witch Critical Cards: This has been bothering me a bit for awhile, because granted critical cards are not a strong suit, however the option would be nice for future gear/companions. The main problem I see is the guaranteed Criticals in combination with Increased Mojo Blast, however that could be solved by putting Critical cards possibly on a wand(s), and on future companions who cannot have access to Increased Mojo Blast. Or guaranteed critical cards for Witchdoctors ignore Increased Mojo Blast and it could be just a single target card. If that happended, it could easily be distributed amongst gear and companions alike.

Mojo Rising: This is something I have always questioned for quite sometime, as literally the only WD companion to have this talent is the Inoshishi Necromancer. Unless there is an official reason as not to have this, I would really like to see this talent available at least for the Main Witchdoctors(mainly Carcarius, Old Scratch, Possibly Mormo, and perhaps a few Witchdoctors in the future). The main reason Witchdoctor companions are not used much in PvP is because they simply do not have high enough offensive capabilities compared to other class companions, with the main reason as other classes being able to have Bladestorm or Double Tap respectively as a viable option. While they currently can chain to other Witchdoctors well, that aspect is useless if no one is using them in the first place(Witchdoctor companions, not the class itself).

Developer
Stormy Sam Templet... on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
I would just like to address a few suggestions concerning specifically for Witchdoctors(companions for the most part) to get a bit more variety in choices between them.

Witch Hunter: The main issue I have here is that Witchdoctors who have this talent chain to other Witchdoctors with Witch Hunter. Since you can get both this and Intuition on most companions, they can get two chances to hit(and whatever chains possible) before the opponent can even chain to it. If the opposing Witchdoctor has Witch Hunter, you can attack first and still have the first hit, even a free two this for compaions with Witch Hunter and Intuition. Also, I have noticed that Witch Hunter seems to have its damage based on spell power, as it seemed to ignore the damage debuff given by an opposing Witch Hunter. Mainly what I want to see is Witch Hunter to not chain to itself on Witchdoctors(Intuition chaining to Witch Hunter is fine imo), because it can be quite the mess.

Witch Critical Cards: This has been bothering me a bit for awhile, because granted critical cards are not a strong suit, however the option would be nice for future gear/companions. The main problem I see is the guaranteed Criticals in combination with Increased Mojo Blast, however that could be solved by putting Critical cards possibly on a wand(s), and on future companions who cannot have access to Increased Mojo Blast. Or guaranteed critical cards for Witchdoctors ignore Increased Mojo Blast and it could be just a single target card. If that happended, it could easily be distributed amongst gear and companions alike.

Mojo Rising: This is something I have always questioned for quite sometime, as literally the only WD companion to have this talent is the Inoshishi Necromancer. Unless there is an official reason as not to have this, I would really like to see this talent available at least for the Main Witchdoctors(mainly Carcarius, Old Scratch, Possibly Mormo, and perhaps a few Witchdoctors in the future). The main reason Witchdoctor companions are not used much in PvP is because they simply do not have high enough offensive capabilities compared to other class companions, with the main reason as other classes being able to have Bladestorm or Double Tap respectively as a viable option. While they currently can chain to other Witchdoctors well, that aspect is useless if no one is using them in the first place(Witchdoctor companions, not the class itself).
Mojo Rising: This is something I have always questioned for quite sometime, as literally the only WD companion to have this talent is the Inoshishi Necromancer.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's also the only WD who can't learn Improved Mojo Blast-- he never gets an AoE. So, Mojo Rising is necessary for him to increase his damage.

WDs typically have AoE's, which means you will deal X damage to 2 targets, for a total of 2X damage, as opposed to Mojo Rising, which is X damage plus a ~35% chance of X damage, or 1.35X damage.

Indeed that 2X damage will increase for each additional target under the AoE. AoEs have a lot of potential upside.

Granted, that AoE potential is conditional-- meaning, you must get at least 2 targets into the AoE in order to realize your full damage potential.

I am receptive to the argument that in PvP that potential is rarely realized, leaving WDs currently at a disadvantage when it comes to burst damage vs. a single target.

On the other hand, WDs are uniquely positioned to deal with other WDs-- in a target rich environment (say, a battleboard full of Terracotta Warriors and Scorpions) the WD shines.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
Mojo Rising: This is something I have always questioned for quite sometime, as literally the only WD companion to have this talent is the Inoshishi Necromancer.

Unless I'm mistaken, he's also the only WD who can't learn Improved Mojo Blast-- he never gets an AoE. So, Mojo Rising is necessary for him to increase his damage.

WDs typically have AoE's, which means you will deal X damage to 2 targets, for a total of 2X damage, as opposed to Mojo Rising, which is X damage plus a ~35% chance of X damage, or 1.35X damage.

Indeed that 2X damage will increase for each additional target under the AoE. AoEs have a lot of potential upside.

Granted, that AoE potential is conditional-- meaning, you must get at least 2 targets into the AoE in order to realize your full damage potential.

I am receptive to the argument that in PvP that potential is rarely realized, leaving WDs currently at a disadvantage when it comes to burst damage vs. a single target.

On the other hand, WDs are uniquely positioned to deal with other WDs-- in a target rich environment (say, a battleboard full of Terracotta Warriors and Scorpions) the WD shines.
Well, fair enough then

In PvP, AoE powers are usually fully realized and pretty difficult to avoid. However, most people usually position themselves to avoid Increased Mojo Blast, which is why I have Invested in other talents(for PvP, the talent is still great for PvE) for my Witchdoctors as I feared that problem. Granted, It is great against swarms of mobs(which is one of the norms for PvP) however outside of that it was not too useful, especially on smarter opponents

I would like to know, when Increased Mojo Blast hits, how does the basic attack know when it lands? Do you have to get a "hit" with all of them, or just the center target? Just curious

On the Note of WDs and Epics, I have noticed that Readied Spell has the same problem as OverWatch did(activates only when they move into the range of Companion/character) is this a bug or by design?
Same can be said about my points on Witch Hunter(it chaining to itself on WDs with Witch Hunter v. WDs with Witch Hunter), as that has not been addressed by anyone yet