Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A critical question

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
I know that critical hit chances are based on primary Stat comparison but how do they relate to your chances of hitting in the first place? Is it:

A - first your accuracy is compared to your target's dodge. Then if the engine gives you a hit, primary stats determine if it will go critical.

Or

B - the engine compares primary stats and if you land a critical you bypass accuracy and dodge. If not, accuracy and dodge determines whether you hit at all.

Which is it?

Developer
Lieutenant
May 09, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
Answer: A
OK thanks, I will have to invest more in accuracy after all...

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 25, 2015 wrote:
i think you need to recheck that because results show that is completely false

Developer
zuto4011a on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
Now I don't know who to believe
Are you sure its answer A I see my fire cult companion with low accuracy (btw you really need to increase her accuracy) scoring quite a few criticals

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
zuto4011a on Aug 27, 2015 wrote:
I agree. Units with low accuracy can critical a lot only because they have much higher strength, will, or agility. Ratbeard, I think you need to recheck what you are agreeing to.

Developer
witchdoctor daruis on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
Now I don't know who to believe
Are you sure its answer A I see my fire cult companion with low accuracy (btw you really need to increase her accuracy) scoring quite a few criticals
You can't critical if you don't hit. You have to hit first: this is an accuracy vs. dodge comparison, and your primary stats are not used in this calculation.

If you do hit, then we see if it scores a critical. Now your primary stats are compared. If your stats comparison is favorable, then more of the hits that you land will go critical.

It is entirely possible within the framework of the system as it exists now for you to see a lot of misses, and a lot of criticals.

I think answering it three times is enough for me!

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
You can't critical if you don't hit. You have to hit first: this is an accuracy vs. dodge comparison, and your primary stats are not used in this calculation.

If you do hit, then we see if it scores a critical. Now your primary stats are compared. If your stats comparison is favorable, then more of the hits that you land will go critical.

It is entirely possible within the framework of the system as it exists now for you to see a lot of misses, and a lot of criticals.

so a companion hit by a sandstorm getting a full critical chain with a whales might and discpline on against a zeal is normal?

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
zuto4011a on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:
so a companion hit by a sandstorm getting a full critical chain with a whales might and discpline on against a zeal is normal?
Ahoy!

If you believe there is something not working correctly, please use the template provided in the link below to post a detailed report in the Bilge Pump section of the message boards so it can be investigated.

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-bilge-pump/helpful-hints-for-reporting-bugs-here-8ad6a4143bffbb27013c022103f3652f?page=1

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
Ratbeard on Aug 28, 2015 wrote:

Oh ok thanks for going through with it for me
I'd assume due to others with low will my fire dancer would have a high chance of a critical if she was to hit