1v1 House Arena Battleboards - too small?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 10, 2011
19
I tried out some 1v1 in the volcano house arena and thought the battleboard was too small. It felt really cramped, I noticed I was always in the range of my opponent's ranged powers, and it didn't allow us to take advantage of any movement strategies.

Did anyone else have that reaction?

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
358
azoresgirl on Dec 2, 2012 wrote:
I tried out some 1v1 in the volcano house arena and thought the battleboard was too small. It felt really cramped, I noticed I was always in the range of my opponent's ranged powers, and it didn't allow us to take advantage of any movement strategies.

Did anyone else have that reaction?
I hate the current PvP system. I'd rather do ships and the ship that is beaten down the worst before any melee is the side that goes last. Randomly choosing who goes first is something I hate. I quit ranked PvP in wizard101 after my storm went last 23 times in a row.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
161
The game board is a little small, but I had no problem being out of range (enemy ranged attacks) when on the edges of the game board. It could stand to be a tiny bit bigger. I would hate to see the opposite situation where the board is so big that it takes forever to get in range of your opponent.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
161
seasnake on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
I hate the current PvP system. I'd rather do ships and the ship that is beaten down the worst before any melee is the side that goes last. Randomly choosing who goes first is something I hate. I quit ranked PvP in wizard101 after my storm went last 23 times in a row.
It does get a bit tedious if your team gets second position the majority of the time. I've been there too. But I have also seen really high level wizards (45 and higher) in W101 PvP elect to beat up on the little level 8 wizards. And then they proceed to gloat about their victory while bad mouthing the poor low level wizards. It is the poor sportsmanship that I find the most irritating about PvP. It would be nice if there was a way to prevent this type of situation for P101 PvP.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 26, 2009
270
It is sure handy for us musketeers who can slap traps across the board

Dead-Eye Luke, Level 50

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
225
seasnake on Dec 3, 2012 wrote:
I hate the current PvP system. I'd rather do ships and the ship that is beaten down the worst before any melee is the side that goes last. Randomly choosing who goes first is something I hate. I quit ranked PvP in wizard101 after my storm went last 23 times in a row.
Going second in Pirate PvP is not nearly as bad as as it was in Wizard. Since you don't give orders at the same time it always seems like you are going "first". And having the very first turn is no where near as advantageous as it was in Wizard (in fact, it is almost a disadvantage).

As for the topic, I think it is good that the battle board is so small because then it means that the players have to fight each other rather than just hide in a corner and wait till the other player comes to them.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Why is going first such a huge issue in wizards? Someone has to go first. Both teams simply can't go first at the same time.

I repeat. Both teams can't go first at the same time.

Everybody wants PvP and wants to kill people. Apparently that is so much fun, and a national human past time. But if you can't take what PvP gives you, don't play it.

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Dec 16, 2012 wrote:
Why is going first such a huge issue in wizards? Someone has to go first. Both teams simply can't go first at the same time.

I repeat. Both teams can't go first at the same time.

Everybody wants PvP and wants to kill people. Apparently that is so much fun, and a national human past time. But if you can't take what PvP gives you, don't play it.
Eh, the whole game is about "killing people" if you put it that way. So are most video games. In fact, most multiplayer games are about competition between players. MMO's are unique in that they offer cooperative play as well, but they can also offer a very in depth competitive play. It's not about "killing people", it's about trying to counter another players strategy, as opposed to an AI opponent who can't really mess up or innovate. Especially in the case of Pirate101, PvP is more like a timed chess match than it is a deathmatch, like most PvP ends up being. That's why, as opposed to my usual indifference, I'm looking forward to Pirate101 PvP developing further. The idea of having enough time to think and figure things out in PvP is more intriguing to me that mashing buttons and waiting on a respawn timer.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!