Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Witch Hunter OP?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
I know each class has some challenge facing other classes. The swashes in Marleybone may find those red fox snipers harder to deal with than a musketeer for example, and privateers may find Tyson the chicken in cool ranch hard because they rely on companions, and musketeers will find Rooke a nightmare, but poor poor witchdoctors seem to be having a supremely hard time against enemies with witch hunter.

I have to help several Witch Doctor friends because they struggle against a massive hoard of enemies possessing the witch-hunter talent. I personally find that as a swashbuckler that defeating enemies with witch hunter is very easy, but how about witchdoctors themselves?

One Mojo Blast hitting three Ophidian snakes can activate 3 sets of witch-hunter. So against enemies possessing witch hunter, witchdoctors are yes... completely useless. Witchdoctors usually never attack against enemies with witch hunter, and let their companions do the damage for them after some juju's and stuff. But still they themselves are eliminated from fighting. Now imagine this:

The pseudorandom computer decides to torture the witchdoctor by letting his/her companions be: Old scratch, Necromancer Pig and Nurse Quinn. The opposition is the host of the temple of the fire cult, a bunch of snakes all possessing witch hunter. I understand why the Flee Button was invented.

Now maybe witch hunter could be reduced? I understand it is like the vengeance strike or true grit version for witch wars, but vengeance strike and true grit powers only only affect a 1v1 situation. Witchhunter can create something as disastrous as a 1v9 combination (eg Mojostorm against 9 enemies possessing witch hunter bunched together in a 3 by 3 square box).

Suggestions for witch hunter:
-Like glancing blow, it only does 50% damage. Damage received lessens if more enemies are hit.
-The reduce damage debuff will be replaced by a reduce dodge debuff.

Now if you are a witchdoctor who knows how to fight enemies with witch hunter, please give your tips in the PHP thread made by Valkoor the Victorious.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
GG, do you really want KI to nerf an epic talent that is used in about 5% of the battles we get into?
Witch Hunter is the saving grace of otherwise pathetic companions, like Nurse Quinn, Medicine Chicken!
Satyrs and Ophidian Flame dancers are really easy once you learn the principles in this thread:
http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?43064-Don-t-Stand-So-Close-to-Me-Guide-to-Defeating-Witchdoctor-Enemies&highlight=Satyr

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Row4n412 on Jan 21, 2014 wrote:
GG, do you really want KI to nerf an epic talent that is used in about 5% of the battles we get into?
Witch Hunter is the saving grace of otherwise pathetic companions, like Nurse Quinn, Medicine Chicken!
Satyrs and Ophidian Flame dancers are really easy once you learn the principles in this thread:
http://www.pirate101central.com/forums/showthread.php?43064-Don-t-Stand-So-Close-to-Me-Guide-to-Defeating-Witchdoctor-Enemies&highlight=Satyr
That's great advice! Perhaps you should post it on the PHP thread.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Golden Guardian on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
That's great advice! Perhaps you should post it on the PHP thread.
If a witchdoctor equips themselves with a staffy/shooty weapon and has farmed for gear with shooter hits then they would be well set up to give as much as they get for those Satyr type fights. These things are doable as long as you stop and think about it a bit. The answer isn't always easy, but it is always there.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Golden Guardian, I'm not in Aquila yet on my witchdoctor Anneke Nightingale, but she did get quite a surprise (and a lesson!) when she fired off a mojo blast against Armada Dragoons on the Wreck of the Victory and got blasted with 'steely resolve' 5 times that round! Okay, she learned not to do that again!

She handled herself then through the rest of such battles by using her sword attacks and related powers (Anneke fights with sword and staff... she has this dreamy notion of being like Gandalf the Grey) and thus didn't get whacked back quite so often. Though I confess, if I have enough health and judge the attack is worth it as far as damage goes (those mojo blades are often worth it) I do so and take the collateral damage from a retribution or witch hunter. And truthfully, if I have enough health, I like to annoy Bishop and Rooke with magic -- Bishop, because I love the green globe that blooms from his staff as he hits you back, and Rooke, because I think those flying Battle Angels that come and clobber you are really cool! (Yes, my characters do have streak of recklessness, I'm afraid )