Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why no sailing from home?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Honest question here, because in mind it just makes sense, and yet the ability hasn't been implemented yet. When we purchase a house, it has its own dock. We can store boats here and when we travel home, this is where our pirate takes their first foot off ship.

So why can't we set sail to the other worlds of the spiral via our home port

Option 1: We hop onto our ship, and the sigil to set sail appears. We press x, then a menu appears asking up which world we'd like to sail to appears, then the loading screen appears. from here on, we can either appear in the initial skyway of said world, or the beginning of the stormgate connecting to that world.

Option 2: We purchase a transportulator (I think that's how it's spelt) from the crown shop that we can then place in our houses (not the little apartments in Skull Island though, that would be just plain silly, but then again, who doesn't love silly?) We can then play the mandatory fee to the krokatopians to use their transport system.

Personally I'd prefer option 1 for aesthetic reasons, but 2 seems to be easier to implement.

So Ratbeard and Johnny, a doubloon for your thoughts?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
King Crimson on Sep 5, 2016 wrote:
Honest question here, because in mind it just makes sense, and yet the ability hasn't been implemented yet. When we purchase a house, it has its own dock. We can store boats here and when we travel home, this is where our pirate takes their first foot off ship.

So why can't we set sail to the other worlds of the spiral via our home port

Option 1: We hop onto our ship, and the sigil to set sail appears. We press x, then a menu appears asking up which world we'd like to sail to appears, then the loading screen appears. from here on, we can either appear in the initial skyway of said world, or the beginning of the stormgate connecting to that world.

Option 2: We purchase a transportulator (I think that's how it's spelt) from the crown shop that we can then place in our houses (not the little apartments in Skull Island though, that would be just plain silly, but then again, who doesn't love silly?) We can then play the mandatory fee to the krokatopians to use their transport system.

Personally I'd prefer option 1 for aesthetic reasons, but 2 seems to be easier to implement.

So Ratbeard and Johnny, a doubloon for your thoughts?
Option one seems best because the transportalator does cost crowns for non-member players. ( Gotta get that revenue )
Our ship would then be acting like the "world gates" in W101 ( at least from our homes.)

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Fair call, that revenue must continue! Which brings an alteration for option 1 to mind; Make it only for members and those who have purchased crowns within the last 30 days, as a perk for continued loyalty and support of this game.

However, I'm going to try to keep bumping this topic up until either Ratbeard shares his thoughts on sailing out into the spiral from player houses, or this topic gets locked, which will unfortunately say a fair bit about the developers thoughts on this (honestly needed) game mechanic.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
King Crimson on Sep 13, 2016 wrote:
Fair call, that revenue must continue! Which brings an alteration for option 1 to mind; Make it only for members and those who have purchased crowns within the last 30 days, as a perk for continued loyalty and support of this game.

However, I'm going to try to keep bumping this topic up until either Ratbeard shares his thoughts on sailing out into the spiral from player houses, or this topic gets locked, which will unfortunately say a fair bit about the developers thoughts on this (honestly needed) game mechanic.
It would be convenient, but is it really necessary? When you can port to a mark, Skull Island or the last life fountain you bonded to, I don't see how you can argue that it is needed.
I hope you get that reply that will clarify this suggestion.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
It would be very nice to be able to sail to a "Stormgate Vortex" from our homes. Those of us who are used to the World Door in Wizard101 sometimes accidentally port home and think we can go anywhere from there...

It wouldn't replace the Transportaler, because we wouldn't port to a city, just the skyway, so we'd still have to sail to a destination and lock to a Life Fountain, etc.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Last I looked the transportalator cost gold even for non-members.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Sep 28, 2016 wrote:
Last I looked the transportalator cost gold even for non-members.
Nope, non-members require crowns to use it.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 13, 2016 wrote:
It would be very nice to be able to sail to a "Stormgate Vortex" from our homes. Those of us who are used to the World Door in Wizard101 sometimes accidentally port home and think we can go anywhere from there...

It wouldn't replace the Transportaler, because we wouldn't port to a city, just the skyway, so we'd still have to sail to a destination and lock to a Life Fountain, etc.

Exactly! I still do this from time to time, and I haven't actually played W101 since I rage quit years ago! (curse you Wabbajack, I will beat you when I have the time to return to Avalon )

To be honest, this is a feature that I was expecting 4 years ago when the game first launched, and I was disappointed then to not see it. Now, it's become something of a pet-peeve that is my only negative about this otherwise brilliant game that I can and probably will gripe over for some time to come.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Why are pirates so shy about sailing their ship? Why is it necessary with most posters that we copy every single thing from Wizard101 to be a playable game? This system isn't necessary.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
In reply to the OP, here's my two-copper:

Allow us to sail out from our homes, just like your first option suggested. However, instead of popping up in the skyway I'd say pop up in the stormgate that leads to your destination (you know, that ribbon of empty space you go through, zig-zagging back and forth until you reach the world ahead?). This forces players to still sail to their destination, but eliminates the long trek across the skyways to reach said stormgate. I see this as entirely fair and reasonable, and to compensate for such a fast and easy mode of transportation I say have them revert the cooldown timer for your home from 30s to 60s.

As for the second option, I'm personally not fond of it. I would much rather the Transportalator be available in all houses by default, but require you to still pay the fee to use them, rather than having to buy them AND pay the fee to use them. For those players that aren't able to afford Memberships (and instead either are Free to Play or Crowns-based), having to buy the Transportalator with crowns AND spend even more crowns to even use it is a bit much. I'm just looking out for everyone here.

Hope that helps a bit.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
Why are pirates so shy about sailing their ship? Why is it necessary with most posters that we copy every single thing from Wizard101 to be a playable game? This system isn't necessary.
I'm totally not shy about sailing my ship, I love to range the windlanes, taking the long way rather than finding a Stage Coach. Even Transportalers and Stage Coaches don't get us exactly where we need to be.

That said, it's just logical that someday we be able to sail our ships from our homes. Just as we should heal while at home - it's just logical.

Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
I think we've gotten to the point where misunderstandings have entered the conversation. No one is being shy with their ships, or wanting to transfer even more Wizardry mechanics into Pirate101, it's actually the opposite. The current method of being able to teleport with no explanation is a bit too magical in the first place, to be honest.

What I'm looking for is a fast travel method that fits in with the sky pirate theme of the game, one that makes actual use of our ships, not a visual reference to Stargate Sg1 that feels way too close to home with Wizard101.

It is just like willowydream said; it's just logical.

Lieutenant
Mar 07, 2009
King Crimson on Sep 13, 2016 wrote:

I think it is a neat idea if you have a house. I don't have a house though. I have my nice little room decked out pretty good..I am not saying anything bad about the houses. Funny never had a house in Wiz either
I just wish people would "bump" up the idea of stitching ship equipment though. I like to have matching steering wheels and cannons for my ship. I like having a certain ship that matches my pirate. Not into having multiple ships. That is why I have always liked the idea of upgrading ships when you level up to the next world

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
While I see both these features as adding to our overall game play, I don't find any place that far off with the transportlators, the stagecoaches, and our ability to mark locations. Even The tower of moo from skull island is about four minutes away. That's not so bad.