Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What companion should i buy?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Aug 06, 2015
Ahoy pirates!

I just finished Aquila and I am looking to buy two crown companions. I have already decided on Keisuke Yagi for my first one, but here are other choices i cannot decide.

Sergeant Shepard ( I am considering him because I am a privy and I got gaspard de vole, and my max lvl friend has him and he is beast!)

Temujin( He is a power horse that is so cool)

Lucy Sterling( She has great powers)

Wagyu Sanjuro ( I have seen him in action and he is very good)

So, which one? Thank you for your replies

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Themagerhonor on Aug 3, 2016 wrote:
Ahoy pirates!

I just finished Aquila and I am looking to buy two crown companions. I have already decided on Keisuke Yagi for my first one, but here are other choices i cannot decide.

Sergeant Shepard ( I am considering him because I am a privy and I got gaspard de vole, and my max lvl friend has him and he is beast!)

Temujin( He is a power horse that is so cool)

Lucy Sterling( She has great powers)

Wagyu Sanjuro ( I have seen him in action and he is very good)

So, which one? Thank you for your replies
I think it definitely depends on your pirate's class, combat style and also which one you just like to begin with-- as far as looks, animations, voice(s), cool factor...etc.

First off, I think Keisuke was a very wise choice, especially for a melee class, and super especially for a Buccaneer. Up until you end up recruiting Contessa in Valencia, a Buccaneer doesn't have access to any companions with a hide. Having one companion that can hide is very beneficial for certain instances-- those "move across the board to activate/destroy", battle situations, the Nefarious 5 fight, buffing and striking with extra oomph scenarios...and more. Plus having an extra heal is always a nice thing to have. His multiple ranks of riposte, relentless and having blade storm help add some wallop and nice chains.

As for your other choice I think it truly depends on your class. For my Buccaneer I have all of those companions from the Crown Shop and by far, Temujin is the most useful for my bucc. I farm Kane solo and he's always by my side for the 1st battle and he always delivers. I used him as my first mate for a long time until the update where Buccaneers got ol' Peter Quint. For me Temujin rarely dies, and always hits hard with his chains of relentless, vengeance strike, blade storm, cheap shot and more. Plus having that Buccaneer Smash power that reduces Agility and Accuracy by -50% for 5 rounds, is a great "first strike" de-buffing power.

But seeing that you are a Privy, you may indeed get more use out of Sergeant Shepherd. I absolutely love my Presidio, Lucky Jack Russell and even without buffs he seems to get a lot of Critical Hits. My Luck Jack has Ranks 2 of Blade Storm, Relentless and Vengeance Strike and he often gets to use all of them in one attack sequence. Plus, as an added bonus, in my opinion he is one of the coolest (looking and sounding) and most pirate-y looking companions the game has to offer.

Good luck with whomever you go with and I hope they serve you well!

Petty Officer
Aug 06, 2015
Thank you Valkoor. If you do't mind me asking, what epics did you give keisuke yagi and your lucky jack?

I hope to see you in the skyway!

Loyal Michael, lvl 66

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Themagerhonor on Aug 3, 2016 wrote:
Thank you Valkoor. If you do't mind me asking, what epics did you give keisuke yagi and your lucky jack?

I hope to see you in the skyway!

Loyal Michael, lvl 66
You're quite welcome, Michael! I've had Keisuke for quite some time now, so he may be due for a reset-- just to see what his choice of Epics are as he levels up. Right now my Keisuke (LVL 70) has Riposte 2, Relentless 2, Flanking 1, Blade Storm 1 and Repel Boarders 1. But I do have to give him a reset because at the time I got him, not all companions had access to the Tough talent. Actually there are probably a few pages that I should eventually go back and reset. But I'm not going there right now.

For Lucky Jack, he has Pirate 1 (starter Epic, I believe), Blade Storm 2, Relentless 2, Vengeance Strike 2, Repel Boarders 1 and Cheap Shot 1.

And thank you! Should you ever happen to run into a Buccaneer named Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen, skillfully floundering about in the Spiral-- be sure to shout out "HELLO!" and then kindly toss him a net to set him straight!

Petty Officer
Aug 06, 2015
Thank you so much Valkoor! I am not sure if shepard gets the same epics as jack, but I hope he does!

I hope to see ya in valencia pt 2 or near moo manchu tower! Maybe we could be friends and you could help me on the first battle in Valencia pt 2 at Lucci Villa.

Lieutenant
Jul 23, 2013