Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

We Need A Friends Only Chat Feature

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
696
During my Twitch show today I came across a couple people in Avery's Court saying not so good things, I had to do some quick scene switching during my show to avoid showing those things on my stream. I wish there was a "Friends" chat feature that you could turn on where only chat messages from friends would be visible. I think a lot of people would agree this is a good idea.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
RRRRZZZZ419 on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:
During my Twitch show today I came across a couple people in Avery's Court saying not so good things, I had to do some quick scene switching during my show to avoid showing those things on my stream. I wish there was a "Friends" chat feature that you could turn on where only chat messages from friends would be visible. I think a lot of people would agree this is a good idea.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!
We already have a private chat function. If this situation arises again, here's what you can do:
1. Turn off chat.
2. Ignore them.
3. Most importantly, if they were that outside of the bounds of KI's rules, why didn't you report them?

First Mate
Feb 12, 2015
459
RRRRZZZZ419 on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:
During my Twitch show today I came across a couple people in Avery's Court saying not so good things, I had to do some quick scene switching during my show to avoid showing those things on my stream. I wish there was a "Friends" chat feature that you could turn on where only chat messages from friends would be visible. I think a lot of people would agree this is a good idea.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!
What a good idea! Having the option to ignore chat altogether, except for people you manually select, would stop mean and hurtful thing from showing up on screen.

Ideas like this can always help to stop the bullies. This could be on optional feature accessed from the privacy menu. Maybe as "Private Chat"?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
RRRRZZZZ419 on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:
During my Twitch show today I came across a couple people in Avery's Court saying not so good things, I had to do some quick scene switching during my show to avoid showing those things on my stream. I wish there was a "Friends" chat feature that you could turn on where only chat messages from friends would be visible. I think a lot of people would agree this is a good idea.

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

rrrrzzzz on Twitch!
If you had a "Friends only" chat on and someone who was not a friend wanted to ask you a question, you wouldn't be able to see their chat. I feel this is a bit unfriendly, I've had a few players come up to ask me where I got my gear, pet or once, even how I had set my follower to pet. If I had "friends only" on, I wouldn't have been able to help them.

As I said before, we have private chat and I forgot to mention, group chat - we don't need a friends only setting.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
330
I can't imagine it'd be too hard to copy wiz's private chat system to pirate.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
873
Every streamer I have watched turns off chat bubbles and places a static and solid image over their chat box to prevent viewers from reading any in-game chat. I suggest you look into this if you believe this sort of thing may be a problem. Your other (worse) option is to trade true friend codes with all your friends, and return your account to menu chat settings to avoid seeing anything but your friends' whisper chats.

That being said, I disagree with the idea of a "friends-only" chat filter. It's far easier to ignore the people I don't want to read chats from than to have to go through the hassle of turning a chat feature on and off and on again every time I want to do something a bit different with my time. I believe a feature like this would create more harm than good. Imagine the animosity created by someone being frustrated another player is ignoring them entirely, when in fact they have friends-only chat enabled and therefore cannot see any chats from said other player. It's a waste of energy for KI to implement something like this when it doesn't add anything to the gameplay value of Pirate101.

If you really want to avoid other players' interactions, play on a lighter traffic realm instead of Avery. The second page of realms are ghost towns nearly 100% of the time, aside from when Halloween and Christmas are happening.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Lookit Light on Oct 26, 2018 wrote:
What a good idea! Having the option to ignore chat altogether, except for people you manually select, would stop mean and hurtful thing from showing up on screen.

Ideas like this can always help to stop the bullies. This could be on optional feature accessed from the privacy menu. Maybe as "Private Chat"?
That is what the "Ignore" function is for; it works well.

First Mate
Feb 12, 2015
459
MistyDragon13 on Oct 29, 2018 wrote:
Every streamer I have watched turns off chat bubbles and places a static and solid image over their chat box to prevent viewers from reading any in-game chat. I suggest you look into this if you believe this sort of thing may be a problem. Your other (worse) option is to trade true friend codes with all your friends, and return your account to menu chat settings to avoid seeing anything but your friends' whisper chats.

That being said, I disagree with the idea of a "friends-only" chat filter. It's far easier to ignore the people I don't want to read chats from than to have to go through the hassle of turning a chat feature on and off and on again every time I want to do something a bit different with my time. I believe a feature like this would create more harm than good. Imagine the animosity created by someone being frustrated another player is ignoring them entirely, when in fact they have friends-only chat enabled and therefore cannot see any chats from said other player. It's a waste of energy for KI to implement something like this when it doesn't add anything to the gameplay value of Pirate101.

If you really want to avoid other players' interactions, play on a lighter traffic realm instead of Avery. The second page of realms are ghost towns nearly 100% of the time, aside from when Halloween and Christmas are happening.
Oh. Maybe you're right. But there's always the Ignore option, though

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
696
Thank you for the feedback so far.

First off to answer Anecorbie's point, sometimes you don't want to talk to just anyone (like if you logged on 15 minutes to send off companions) but do want to say hi to your friends while you are on. There is a difference in someone you have never met before asking you for gear and someone talking to you who you have had added for 4 months so I disagree with your point that it is unfriendly to not to respond to these people at certain times.

Secondly, ignore is an option that does work when there is 1 person, but at times I have seen 3 people all talking back to each other with inappropriate words in Avery's Court (Avery realm), ignore becomes less practical when you have 3 people all acting up at once.

Thirdly, I like to report the worst of the worst to Kingsisle but not everyone. If a person is miss spelling words, they may be creatively breaking the rules, or they may be miss typing, whereas if a person says they want to harm someone else their words are clear and they need to be reported to Kingsisle ASAP. Those are the people they really do not want in their games.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
873
Lookit Light on Oct 29, 2018 wrote:
Oh. Maybe you're right. But there's always the Ignore option, though
"It's far easier to ignore the people I don't want to read chats from"

I have and do make liberal use of the ignore function when I'm in a more populated realm. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, but I'd rather KI work on giving us playable features instead of giving us yet another switch to turn off in settings.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
RRRRZZZZ419 on Oct 29, 2018 wrote:
Thank you for the feedback so far.

First off to answer Anecorbie's point, sometimes you don't want to talk to just anyone (like if you logged on 15 minutes to send off companions) but do want to say hi to your friends while you are on. There is a difference in someone you have never met before asking you for gear and someone talking to you who you have had added for 4 months so I disagree with your point that it is unfriendly to not to respond to these people at certain times.

Secondly, ignore is an option that does work when there is 1 person, but at times I have seen 3 people all talking back to each other with inappropriate words in Avery's Court (Avery realm), ignore becomes less practical when you have 3 people all acting up at once.

Thirdly, I like to report the worst of the worst to Kingsisle but not everyone. If a person is miss spelling words, they may be creatively breaking the rules, or they may be miss typing, whereas if a person says they want to harm someone else their words are clear and they need to be reported to Kingsisle ASAP. Those are the people they really do not want in their games.
When I collect from my companions, I always go to my house, that way, no strangers interrupt me ( just friends ). If I'm feeling that I want "alone time" I use the "Hidden from Friends" option.
You can still use ignore on those people talking, do it before you stream or, since Misty had the better suggestions for you, follow her advice and go to an underpopulated realm.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1759
Personally, I don't think a "friends only" chat is needed. The pirate community simply is not that large, and Group Chat is already available for you and your friends. If you are streaming, those special friends who you are accepting comments from can already be grouped before you begin, no?

I agree with those who suggest you Ignore the pirates who are making inappropriate comments. Even if there are more than one of them, all can be Ignored in a pretty small span of time -- I have Ignored 3 people in a row before leaving Avery's Court after porting to Skull Island.