Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Threat generation

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 08, 2010
Okay, here's my crazy and probably completely unrealistic idea about how to keep squishy characters alive. Have some powers that boost threat level or force enemy units to attack a specific unit on your side. I know that this is something lots of other games have, but I think that it would add a cool new level of strategy in PvE.

As it stands, having a companion that does huge amounts of damage can easily lead to that unit being swarmed by enemies and killed. With threat generation, you or a companion can use a power to raise your threat level, or just force someone to attack only you for one turn, and your squishy powerhouse gets to live for more that two turns. I think this would make a great secondary specialization, somewhat like the Astral Schools of Wizard.

If you guys have ideas about making this better or what another secondary specialization could be, let me know!

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
that charming roug... on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Okay, here's my crazy and probably completely unrealistic idea about how to keep squishy characters alive. Have some powers that boost threat level or force enemy units to attack a specific unit on your side. I know that this is something lots of other games have, but I think that it would add a cool new level of strategy in PvE.

As it stands, having a companion that does huge amounts of damage can easily lead to that unit being swarmed by enemies and killed. With threat generation, you or a companion can use a power to raise your threat level, or just force someone to attack only you for one turn, and your squishy powerhouse gets to live for more that two turns. I think this would make a great secondary specialization, somewhat like the Astral Schools of Wizard.

If you guys have ideas about making this better or what another secondary specialization could be, let me know!
I like the idea, would be sweet for bucaneers.

However there is already a talent doing that, though I'm not certain it works properly...

Ensign
Feb 04, 2012
Gallant Defense: swashbuckler ability that allows companions within range to be protected(you being hit instead of the companion) if the the enemy is also in range

If you arent a swashbuckler im pretty sure there probably is some gear that grants the same ablity and if youre a buck you have been trained in Loud which automaticlly generates aggro from enemies if you utilize this and place yourself strategically you can achieve your "threat generation"

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
nativepride16 on May 24, 2016 wrote:
Gallant Defense: swashbuckler ability that allows companions within range to be protected(you being hit instead of the companion) if the the enemy is also in range

If you arent a swashbuckler im pretty sure there probably is some gear that grants the same ablity and if youre a buck you have been trained in Loud which automaticlly generates aggro from enemies if you utilize this and place yourself strategically you can achieve your "threat generation"
There's no item known that grants gallant defense, and let's be honest it doesnt suit swash at all, it should be a bucaneer power.

Also I think Loud only works if you actually dish out damage... I'd like to see something more reliable anyway.

Ensign
Aug 08, 2010
Silver Angel on May 24, 2016 wrote:
There's no item known that grants gallant defense, and let's be honest it doesnt suit swash at all, it should be a bucaneer power.

Also I think Loud only works if you actually dish out damage... I'd like to see something more reliable anyway.
Yeah, that was my thinking too. Loud is passive, so it can't be used strategically, and gallant defense not only doesn't suit swash, but it is also really limited in terms of when it will trigger. What I want are things that can help pull attention away from really squishy units like Old Scratch, so they aren't immediately wiped out by being mobbed, or by that one unit with all the right epics to chain who, of course, homes in on the squishies.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
that charming roug... on May 27, 2016 wrote:
Yeah, that was my thinking too. Loud is passive, so it can't be used strategically, and gallant defense not only doesn't suit swash, but it is also really limited in terms of when it will trigger. What I want are things that can help pull attention away from really squishy units like Old Scratch, so they aren't immediately wiped out by being mobbed, or by that one unit with all the right epics to chain who, of course, homes in on the squishies.
There's always hold the line, but still... a specific "taunt" power for bucaneer would be neat.