Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

This Crazy Idea

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
So I have this crazy idea (as you can tell from the title) that could be really awesome or horrible depending on how you think of it. So let me explain. In real life when pirates battle one another, they try to knock out the other's weapon to make the other vulnerable for some time. You might already know this from watching tons of movies like myself. So my idea is, every time you attack or get attacked, you have a chance of losing your weapon, and each attack, dodge, or hit increases the chance. The stronger an attack, the greater the chance. This allows for pirates who dodge and riposte or who relentless on and on to rethink how they attack. Now of course when your weapon falls away from you, your resist and armor drop to zero. Luckily, your next turn, you can choose a new weapon from your inventory right below your doubloon tab. If you do not choose a weapon, your resistances stay at zero and you can not attack. But, by being able to switch weapons can spice up a battle. Lets say a swashbuckler loses his or her daggers. The next turn they can equip a rifle and be able to use cards from two completely different school to create new and unique strategies. This may be a mouthful but I still have a thing or two to say. In case I have not said this, you only lose your weapon when being hit, but your chance of losing it increases with each attack, dodge, or hit. You can of course try and lose your weapon on purpose as a strategy to use different powers. Or you could equip a duplicate of your original weapon if you have another in your bag. If you lose your weapon in a battle, you wont lose it for good, just during the fight. Ok thats everything and hopefully not too confusing!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EMC99 on May 29, 2014 wrote:
So I have this crazy idea (as you can tell from the title) that could be really awesome or horrible depending on how you think of it. So let me explain. In real life when pirates battle one another, they try to knock out the other's weapon to make the other vulnerable for some time. You might already know this from watching tons of movies like myself. So my idea is, every time you attack or get attacked, you have a chance of losing your weapon, and each attack, dodge, or hit increases the chance. The stronger an attack, the greater the chance. This allows for pirates who dodge and riposte or who relentless on and on to rethink how they attack. Now of course when your weapon falls away from you, your resist and armor drop to zero. Luckily, your next turn, you can choose a new weapon from your inventory right below your doubloon tab. If you do not choose a weapon, your resistances stay at zero and you can not attack. But, by being able to switch weapons can spice up a battle. Lets say a swashbuckler loses his or her daggers. The next turn they can equip a rifle and be able to use cards from two completely different school to create new and unique strategies. This may be a mouthful but I still have a thing or two to say. In case I have not said this, you only lose your weapon when being hit, but your chance of losing it increases with each attack, dodge, or hit. You can of course try and lose your weapon on purpose as a strategy to use different powers. Or you could equip a duplicate of your original weapon if you have another in your bag. If you lose your weapon in a battle, you wont lose it for good, just during the fight. Ok thats everything and hopefully not too confusing!
This is a horrible and possibly unworkable idea! Considering that a swash's first strike and riposte, a buccs vengeance strike, musk's quick draw etc, etc.. are an automatic response to battle. Why as a SB ( who has not trained in any shooty weapons ) would I pick up a musket. Raised in Mooshu, I would likely go for a smashy weapon or just use my hands karate style or kung fu.
Losing a weapon ( perhaps farmed ) would be horrible!

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
This would get very confusing, and not because of the concept. I get what you mean, and fully understand your logic, but it would need a lot of fixing. Being able to choose a weapon after loosing one would be a bit overpowered. Imagine having a dragoon cannon, use mega blast, loose it, and take out another one with another mega blast. This is a problem with plenty of weapons, but this isn't even the biggest issue. The way you calculate disarming is a bit odd, for you want to have good attacks, but don't want good attacks because you can get disarmed. I think if this is implemented, it should have its own individual "disarm" stat. It would be calculated in percents, and would work like this. You would have a disarm percent from 1%-100%, which would be raised by stat items, similar to crit and dodge in wizard101. You would also defend disarms with your percentage like this. If your attacker has a disarm of 24%, and you have a disarm of 13%, then it would go 24-13=11. 11% chance of disarm. If your disarm is higher than the attacker's then it would go into the negatives when subtracting, like so. Attacker has a disarm of 30%, and defender has a disarm of 36%, then it would go 30-36= (-6), giving the defender a 6% chance of disarming the attacker. And, disarmed weapons would just scatter to a random spot on the battle board, and moving to that square picks it up. If you don't pick it up before the fight ends, then you just get it re-equipped, like picking it up after the fight. Does that sound like it would work better?

F.R. Holystone
Lv 65

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Elemutation on May 29, 2014 wrote:
This would get very confusing, and not because of the concept. I get what you mean, and fully understand your logic, but it would need a lot of fixing. Being able to choose a weapon after loosing one would be a bit overpowered. Imagine having a dragoon cannon, use mega blast, loose it, and take out another one with another mega blast. This is a problem with plenty of weapons, but this isn't even the biggest issue. The way you calculate disarming is a bit odd, for you want to have good attacks, but don't want good attacks because you can get disarmed. I think if this is implemented, it should have its own individual "disarm" stat. It would be calculated in percents, and would work like this. You would have a disarm percent from 1%-100%, which would be raised by stat items, similar to crit and dodge in wizard101. You would also defend disarms with your percentage like this. If your attacker has a disarm of 24%, and you have a disarm of 13%, then it would go 24-13=11. 11% chance of disarm. If your disarm is higher than the attacker's then it would go into the negatives when subtracting, like so. Attacker has a disarm of 30%, and defender has a disarm of 36%, then it would go 30-36= (-6), giving the defender a 6% chance of disarming the attacker. And, disarmed weapons would just scatter to a random spot on the battle board, and moving to that square picks it up. If you don't pick it up before the fight ends, then you just get it re-equipped, like picking it up after the fight. Does that sound like it would work better?

F.R. Holystone
Lv 65
What I was trying to say is that the chance is very small. Maybe 1% chance to start. But whenever you dodge, get hit, or attack, your chance is raised by maybe 3%. It would take maybe three turns at the minimum to lose your weapon and that is only if you are targeted in battle a lot. Also, losing your weapon is also bad for you since you lose resistance for the turn. Using mega blast twice could be done but you seem to be saying that you could repeat the process every turn or two. On average, about every 5 or 6 turns you would lose your weapon, but that is just how I would think about it.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
anecorbie on May 29, 2014 wrote:
This is a horrible and possibly unworkable idea! Considering that a swash's first strike and riposte, a buccs vengeance strike, musk's quick draw etc, etc.. are an automatic response to battle. Why as a SB ( who has not trained in any shooty weapons ) would I pick up a musket. Raised in Mooshu, I would likely go for a smashy weapon or just use my hands karate style or kung fu.
Losing a weapon ( perhaps farmed ) would be horrible!
I never said you would lose your weapon for good, just for the battle. (Mentioned in one of the last sentences)

Lieutenant
May 19, 2013
It's a nice idea I do think but here's the problem what if you only have one weapon and I'd probably break my computer slamming my fist down every time the opponent knocks my weapon outta my hands but you did remind me of something:
I tend to think of what I would say to my opponent or companion nd so when it's a four on one fight I think "surrender now or walk the plank" what if they cold surrender and you automatically win the battle but what if you could surrender too like if it's a four (or so) on one and it would be like fleeing except the option only comes when you only have one crew member in the battle

Petty Officer
Aug 27, 2010
No thank you! This is a pretty horrible idea, and not simply because we lose our weapons, but because of the stat drops. What does resist and armor have to do with weapons? They're based on clothes, on actual armor. This means that buccaneers, having the most armor, would be at an advantage!

Ensign
Feb 02, 2013
I like the concept, but I think it would change the game mechanics a little too much. Maybe just giving the character a weapon belt or something, and they can use a turn to switch to a different weapon.