The Tower of Moo Manchu

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 29, 2012
8
Heya KI, a huge thank you for the awesome Tower of Moo Manchu! My wife, sister, and I play regularly and are really enjoying the challenge it presents.

Since we usually play in a threesome, we always look for a fourth to join us to make the most of the tower. Occasionally one of us has time to play when the others don't and we've all tried it with three strangers as well. We love the ways that the tower pushes players to work together. We learn new tricks from other players (attacks, combinations, and even shorthand in the chat!).

We have had a few disappointing experiences with the tower relating to the play of the other player(s) who join us. It seems that many of the players are running the tower just in the hopes of getting a particular drop from the nefarious five or of earning the coward's badge. These players then port out of the tower, leaving us unable to get the subsequent 4 lock chests and making it more difficult to finish the tower.

I think this is because KI has placed the best (as valued by the players) loot on the 8th floor instead of the 10th. Perhaps you could move the drops of the Nefarious 5 to a chest guarded by Moo Manchu on the tenth level? Perhaps you might improve Moo Manchu's drops to being better than those of his henchmen so that players will want to finish the dungeon? (I prefer the first option, I don't think we need even more powerful gear.)

Thanks for listening!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Lilith Talon on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
Heya KI, a huge thank you for the awesome Tower of Moo Manchu! My wife, sister, and I play regularly and are really enjoying the challenge it presents.

Since we usually play in a threesome, we always look for a fourth to join us to make the most of the tower. Occasionally one of us has time to play when the others don't and we've all tried it with three strangers as well. We love the ways that the tower pushes players to work together. We learn new tricks from other players (attacks, combinations, and even shorthand in the chat!).

We have had a few disappointing experiences with the tower relating to the play of the other player(s) who join us. It seems that many of the players are running the tower just in the hopes of getting a particular drop from the nefarious five or of earning the coward's badge. These players then port out of the tower, leaving us unable to get the subsequent 4 lock chests and making it more difficult to finish the tower.

I think this is because KI has placed the best (as valued by the players) loot on the 8th floor instead of the 10th. Perhaps you could move the drops of the Nefarious 5 to a chest guarded by Moo Manchu on the tenth level? Perhaps you might improve Moo Manchu's drops to being better than those of his henchmen so that players will want to finish the dungeon? (I prefer the first option, I don't think we need even more powerful gear.)

Thanks for listening!
I disagree about placing the drops with Moo Manchu, but I really feel your disappointment in the dastardly behavior of some pirates. That badge is such a temptation for many, and once they receive it, there's no reason for them to continue. It has been suggested as a change to this behavior, that they must complete the Tower before getting the badge ( and that would be a good thing, IMO ).

Ensign
Jan 29, 2012
8
anecorbie on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
I disagree about placing the drops with Moo Manchu, but I really feel your disappointment in the dastardly behavior of some pirates. That badge is such a temptation for many, and once they receive it, there's no reason for them to continue. It has been suggested as a change to this behavior, that they must complete the Tower before getting the badge ( and that would be a good thing, IMO ).
The Coward's Badge is the smaller part of the problem. Most players who bail do so because they are after the unique loot that is dropped by the nefarious five. I've seen players not even both to climb to the next landing for the four lock chest that is theirs with just 30 seconds of effort because they don't care. It leaves the remaining members of the group unable to access the chest through no fault of their own. The same now applies to any four lock chests in the last two levels, again through no fault of the players that remain.

I'm not sure there is a good answer to this, but I want to be sure KI is aware that this aspect of the Tower of Moo Manchu isn't working as well as we wish.

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
126
I agree with anecorbie on her idea of making the badge available after finishing the tower. I have run the tower about 7 times so far and haven't made it past the 5 yet. While no one has been rude or anything most either get that far and jump out or find its too hard they loss a companion and flee.

I really enjoy this new addition to the game and one day that laughing cow will feel my wraith when I finally get to him

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
Or when they grab the potion after saying they weren't going to....(oh how not nice!) Perhaps a Badge of Virtue for not being tempted and defeating Moo a certain number of times that gives an effect or perhaps a companion....

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
You know, there is one little problem that really annoys us the most during the Nefarious Five battle in the Tower of Moo Manchu that should be addressed. Please listen well, P101 team.

Once we knocked out one of the Pirates that drank the Manchurian Elixir during the battle, that Pirate was supposed to return to normal immediately, rather than remaining to be knocked out until defeating the rest of the Nefarious Five for the remainder of the fight, or one of them healing that Pirate along with them to bring that Pirate out and back into the battlefield. Once one of those Pirates drank that Elixir, Old Scratch said, "The Captain Fight for Moo Manchu now! But don't despair - if we knock the Captain out, the spell be broken.", meaning that if that Pirate was knocked out during the battle, that Pirate would immediately return to normal, free of the Elixir's influence, rather than either leaving that Pirate unconscious for the rest of the battle, or one of the Nefarious Five healing that Pirate to keep that battle going on for what appears to be like longer than we Pirates thought. Very troublesome.

It's been a VERY big annoyance that kept that battle going on and on until either all of us were defeated or the rest of the Nefarious Five were defeated. That should be changed so that the knocked out Pirate that drank the Elixir should return to our side immediately & should be properly healed by one of us Pirates so that Pirate would be able to return to the battlefield.

If you ask me, it would definitely ease our problems with trying to win that battle. Anyone else agrees to this?

I hope that gets done real soon. I don't want that battle to go on for that much more longer than expected as long as that problem still remains.

Developer
Trimond297 on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
You know, there is one little problem that really annoys us the most during the Nefarious Five battle in the Tower of Moo Manchu that should be addressed. Please listen well, P101 team.

Once we knocked out one of the Pirates that drank the Manchurian Elixir during the battle, that Pirate was supposed to return to normal immediately, rather than remaining to be knocked out until defeating the rest of the Nefarious Five for the remainder of the fight, or one of them healing that Pirate along with them to bring that Pirate out and back into the battlefield. Once one of those Pirates drank that Elixir, Old Scratch said, "The Captain Fight for Moo Manchu now! But don't despair - if we knock the Captain out, the spell be broken.", meaning that if that Pirate was knocked out during the battle, that Pirate would immediately return to normal, free of the Elixir's influence, rather than either leaving that Pirate unconscious for the rest of the battle, or one of the Nefarious Five healing that Pirate to keep that battle going on for what appears to be like longer than we Pirates thought. Very troublesome.

It's been a VERY big annoyance that kept that battle going on and on until either all of us were defeated or the rest of the Nefarious Five were defeated. That should be changed so that the knocked out Pirate that drank the Elixir should return to our side immediately & should be properly healed by one of us Pirates so that Pirate would be able to return to the battlefield.

If you ask me, it would definitely ease our problems with trying to win that battle. Anyone else agrees to this?

I hope that gets done real soon. I don't want that battle to go on for that much more longer than expected as long as that problem still remains.
Old Scratch probably should have said, "If we can knock the Captain out and get through this, I can break the spell."

But the elixir is working as designed. You need to win the whole fight to bring the charmed captain back.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Trimond297 on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
You know, there is one little problem that really annoys us the most during the Nefarious Five battle in the Tower of Moo Manchu that should be addressed. Please listen well, P101 team.

Once we knocked out one of the Pirates that drank the Manchurian Elixir during the battle, that Pirate was supposed to return to normal immediately, rather than remaining to be knocked out until defeating the rest of the Nefarious Five for the remainder of the fight, or one of them healing that Pirate along with them to bring that Pirate out and back into the battlefield. Once one of those Pirates drank that Elixir, Old Scratch said, "The Captain Fight for Moo Manchu now! But don't despair - if we knock the Captain out, the spell be broken.", meaning that if that Pirate was knocked out during the battle, that Pirate would immediately return to normal, free of the Elixir's influence, rather than either leaving that Pirate unconscious for the rest of the battle, or one of the Nefarious Five healing that Pirate to keep that battle going on for what appears to be like longer than we Pirates thought. Very troublesome.

It's been a VERY big annoyance that kept that battle going on and on until either all of us were defeated or the rest of the Nefarious Five were defeated. That should be changed so that the knocked out Pirate that drank the Elixir should return to our side immediately & should be properly healed by one of us Pirates so that Pirate would be able to return to the battlefield.

If you ask me, it would definitely ease our problems with trying to win that battle. Anyone else agrees to this?

I hope that gets done real soon. I don't want that battle to go on for that much more longer than expected as long as that problem still remains.
Since most players who plan to drink the elixir un-equip their gear, they wouldn't be much use to you if they returned to 'normal'.
I've rarely had trouble with a 'drinker' and a three person team in defeating the Nef-5. Close to defeat, yes, but ultimately winning.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Ratbeard on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
Old Scratch probably should have said, "If we can knock the Captain out and get through this, I can break the spell."

But the elixir is working as designed. You need to win the whole fight to bring the charmed captain back.
I think you just came up with your own suggestion for a dialogue change for Old Scratch.

Well, if that is what you say, then, I understand. I'm not disappointed about it or anything, mind you, but, I understand, Ratbeard.

In any case, I may have a few thoughts about Moo Manchu's rematch battle in the Tower's last floor you might want to hear of.

About his cheats that he does for every few turns, one of them, about the Infernal Wave, It should be producing lingering fires for about two turns, rather than Storm Clouds, because a fire wave that produces Storm Clouds after it's attack would be, to put this term nicely... somewhat illogical, if you ask me. No offense. That should be handled only by a new additional cheat that should be made for it, & that the name I would be thinking of should be called Raging Malestrom, that acts like Frozen Tide & Infernal Wave, but it provides some Storm-like damage & can produce Storm Clouds afterward, & to also reference W101's Storm powers, too, like how Frozen Tide did with the Ice Powers & Infernal Wave's Fire powers.

Also, I think Moo Manchu should have new additional dialogue lines for his cheats before he can commence them, one of each.

Just some food for thought.

Ensign
Jan 29, 2012
8
Thread jack: To take over the content of a message thread by changing the subject of discourse to a topic outside the purview of the original subject and/or forum, while maintaining the subject line.

I'm disappointed to have been thread jacked, but more disappointed that Ratbeard replied to the thread jack and not to the original concerns of the post. I love that KI has introduced a new aspect of the game that encouraged players to work together. I'm disappointed and confused that KI put in the Coward's Badge as a reward to behavior that is the opposite of teamwork. The behavior that KI has chosen to reward is the behavior that we are seeing. Since I'm not one to take advantage of others, lie, cheat, steal, etc. (I know, not very piratey of me), I don't like the dungeon. It seems quite popular with the power gamers and the rich kids.

Perhaps your next attempt at encouraging group play might do a better job of rewarding group play?

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1891
Lilith Talon on Sep 22, 2014 wrote:
Thread jack: To take over the content of a message thread by changing the subject of discourse to a topic outside the purview of the original subject and/or forum, while maintaining the subject line.

I'm disappointed to have been thread jacked, but more disappointed that Ratbeard replied to the thread jack and not to the original concerns of the post. I love that KI has introduced a new aspect of the game that encouraged players to work together. I'm disappointed and confused that KI put in the Coward's Badge as a reward to behavior that is the opposite of teamwork. The behavior that KI has chosen to reward is the behavior that we are seeing. Since I'm not one to take advantage of others, lie, cheat, steal, etc. (I know, not very piratey of me), I don't like the dungeon. It seems quite popular with the power gamers and the rich kids.

Perhaps your next attempt at encouraging group play might do a better job of rewarding group play?
I am so sorry about this, but I was trying to suggest something. Maybe I should have spoken my suggestions about Moo Manchu's battle in the Tower's last floor somewhere else.

Again, I am very sorry about the thread jack.

Ensign
Mar 29, 2013
4
Oh I hear you! It is really disappointing when they leave after the 8th level but I agree with the badge being available on the last level with Moo Manchu. But come on it is only two more level's till you finish might as well finish the whole tower