The Boochbeard Bundle

1
AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
If anyone knows the boochbeard bundle from when pirate101 first started then you know what I am going to be talking about. When pirate101 first came out they came out with the boochbeard bundle for a limited time only. It came with alot of different stuff but the one thing that caught my eye was the cat pirate companion. It looks really cool and I would love to have it. KI said it was for a limited time only but I think they need to bring it back again or at least put the cat companion in the crown shop. I didn't join pirate101 when it first started but I wished I did because I missed out on a lot of stuff like the ninja pig companion and this bundle. All I am saying is to please put the bundle out again or put the cat companion in the crown shop for a limited time or something. Thats something I would definitely buy!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8754
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
If anyone knows the boochbeard bundle from when pirate101 first started then you know what I am going to be talking about. When pirate101 first came out they came out with the boochbeard bundle for a limited time only. It came with alot of different stuff but the one thing that caught my eye was the cat pirate companion. It looks really cool and I would love to have it. KI said it was for a limited time only but I think they need to bring it back again or at least put the cat companion in the crown shop. I didn't join pirate101 when it first started but I wished I did because I missed out on a lot of stuff like the ninja pig companion and this bundle. All I am saying is to please put the bundle out again or put the cat companion in the crown shop for a limited time or something. Thats something I would definitely buy!
KingsIsle made it a condition of this bundle that it would be permanently retired. I do understand why we get these post asking for the Bundle ( or more specifically, the Cat Pirate ) be returned because that companion is seriously cool!
But when KI says something like this, they mean it and won't change their minds however many times players beg and plead for it's return. I missed out on the bundle because I couldn't rationalize such a purchase on an unknown game. A lot of players are in the same boat ( excuse the pun ).
It's not coming back, get over it!
It's not to say, though, that a future bundle or offer may be coming our way that will be just as good ( maybe even with a cat ).

Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
anecorbie on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
KingsIsle made it a condition of this bundle that it would be permanently retired. I do understand why we get these post asking for the Bundle ( or more specifically, the Cat Pirate ) be returned because that companion is seriously cool!
But when KI says something like this, they mean it and won't change their minds however many times players beg and plead for it's return. I missed out on the bundle because I couldn't rationalize such a purchase on an unknown game. A lot of players are in the same boat ( excuse the pun ).
It's not coming back, get over it!
It's not to say, though, that a future bundle or offer may be coming our way that will be just as good ( maybe even with a cat ).
Exactly like I said above, even if they do not bring the bundle back, they could bring another bundle or put the cat pirate companion for a limited time in the crown shop! ( sort of like the Christmas companions
)

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
157
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
If anyone knows the boochbeard bundle from when pirate101 first started then you know what I am going to be talking about. When pirate101 first came out they came out with the boochbeard bundle for a limited time only. It came with alot of different stuff but the one thing that caught my eye was the cat pirate companion. It looks really cool and I would love to have it. KI said it was for a limited time only but I think they need to bring it back again or at least put the cat companion in the crown shop. I didn't join pirate101 when it first started but I wished I did because I missed out on a lot of stuff like the ninja pig companion and this bundle. All I am saying is to please put the bundle out again or put the cat companion in the crown shop for a limited time or something. Thats something I would definitely buy!
Yeah I feel for you, I joined in late 2012 and by that time the Boochbeard Bundle was long gone! I didn't even find out about the bundle until much later and when I did I was SUPER disappointed that this opportunity was gone. Really the main item I wanted was the Cat companion. And while I don't really think Kingsisle should bring back the entire bundle as it was a once in a lifetime deal, I would like Kingsisle to make another cat companion in the future. Maybe if we ever go to Albion we'll get a cat and/or fox companion, I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1310
As I have suggested elsewhere (on threads similar to this one), a compromise that I think would work would be for KI to introduce a cat of the Rikki Tikki Tabby/Captain Swing type. Similar enough to the cat swashbuckler to scratch the itch, but still distinctly different (and that way those who have the original cat can have TWO cats).

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8754
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 15, 2016 wrote:
Exactly like I said above, even if they do not bring the bundle back, they could bring another bundle or put the cat pirate companion for a limited time in the crown shop! ( sort of like the Christmas companions
)
Everything was retired, that includes the Cat Pirate. Although KI put the Pirate Parrot mount in the Birth-o-ween packages last year; they were only 2 week rentals, that mount isn't going to show up in the crown shop.
If they do give us another Cat, it will be different.

Community Leader
I would have to side with Indigo Ring's suggestion.

One of the purposes of retiring the bundle was not just to retire the bundle but all of the items within.
As trivial as it may be to some, it is very important to others, and many purchased the bundle because of that promise wanting unique items that no others would be able to have.

They should release a companion of similar type however with some differences, in abilities and appearance.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Admiral
May 27, 2009
1465
As a Boochbeard Bundle owner, I think that If it would bring in new paying players, a limited-time return of the Bundle would be acceptable, to promote the game and ensure new content for all to enjoy. You remember, it was not a cheap bundle -- $90.

OR - Maybe reskin it and call it the Boochbeard II -- it wouldn't matter to me, and maybe I'd even buy a second one, or for my second account.


Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
Dr Zeppers on Jul 16, 2016 wrote:
I would have to side with Indigo Ring's suggestion.

One of the purposes of retiring the bundle was not just to retire the bundle but all of the items within.
As trivial as it may be to some, it is very important to others, and many purchased the bundle because of that promise wanting unique items that no others would be able to have.

They should release a companion of similar type however with some differences, in abilities and appearance.
Yes, That would be fine with me too! I just thought that it did look really cool and even cooler after the final promotion of it. They could make a cat looking a little bit like the first one but maybe have a certain name for it and even call it something different than "Cat Pirate." I would just really love to have a relation to it.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
44
Well, as said before, the Boochbeard bundle was offered as a special time only bundle for early players. On the other hand, how many people have the scaraceet (however you write it) pet or the cat pirate companion?

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
85
anecorbie on Jul 14, 2016 wrote:
KingsIsle made it a condition of this bundle that it would be permanently retired. I do understand why we get these post asking for the Bundle ( or more specifically, the Cat Pirate ) be returned because that companion is seriously cool!
But when KI says something like this, they mean it and won't change their minds however many times players beg and plead for it's return. I missed out on the bundle because I couldn't rationalize such a purchase on an unknown game. A lot of players are in the same boat ( excuse the pun ).
It's not coming back, get over it!
It's not to say, though, that a future bundle or offer may be coming our way that will be just as good ( maybe even with a cat ).
I know wizard101 is a different sort of game, but they have certain days where they bring back retired bundles, why shouldn't pirate?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8754
qwerty78202 on Jul 19, 2016 wrote:
I know wizard101 is a different sort of game, but they have certain days where they bring back retired bundles, why shouldn't pirate?
But do they ever bring back that Pioneer Dragon Mount? Those bundles were simply retired, this was retired permanently.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1310
qwerty78202: "I know wizard101 is a different sort of game, but they have certain days where they bring back retired bundles, why shouldn't pirate?"

Because when KI sold this bundle, part of the marketing was that it would be sold for a limited time only and then never ever offered again. Its exclusive, now's-your-only-chance nature was a big part of the marketing, KI cannot bring it (or parts of it) back without going back on that promise of exclusivity.

-Indigo

Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
Indigo Ring on Jul 19, 2016 wrote:
qwerty78202: "I know wizard101 is a different sort of game, but they have certain days where they bring back retired bundles, why shouldn't pirate?"

Because when KI sold this bundle, part of the marketing was that it would be sold for a limited time only and then never ever offered again. Its exclusive, now's-your-only-chance nature was a big part of the marketing, KI cannot bring it (or parts of it) back without going back on that promise of exclusivity.

-Indigo
Actually, KI can bring it back if they wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 21

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1310
Sneaky Hunter: "Actually, KI can bring it back if the wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it."

Well, of course they could, Hunter. No one has said otherwise. What we have said is if they bring it back, or any part of it, they are violating a promise they made when it was released.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Actually, KI can bring it back if they wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 21
Yeah, they could, but how would that affect future promotions? From a business standpoint the offers are "limited" and/or "permanently retired" for a reason, and that reason is primarily marketing. Get it now or not at all! Going back on those statements would have far reaching impact. In the future when they release new content as "limited", or "retiring forever" we can all say "Yeah, sure, just like last time!"
Remember one of the original (that I just made up) commandments of Piratin':
Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's companion!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8754
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Actually, KI can bring it back if they wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 21
Nothing except integrity.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6211
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Actually, KI can bring it back if they wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 21
Welcome to the message boards Hunter.

If they did go back on the deal it would be at the cost of the integrity of their word. That means a lot to them and to us.

Ensign
Jan 18, 2014
10
They brought the Pirate Parrot mount back, you can find one in the Christmas gifts scattered around Skull Island!

Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2012
108
Now that it's Christmas in July, you can receive a 7-Day-Rental Pirate Parrot mount in the gift boxes around Skull Island. Maybe that will resolve your need for something in this bundle. I personally have received 2 of the parrot rental mounts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8754
El Veroaro on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
They brought the Pirate Parrot mount back, you can find one in the Christmas gifts scattered around Skull Island!
But the Pirate Parrot is a rental and is only available from those presents. It isn't in the Crown shop. That's the difference.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
732
I know that bundle should stay retired, if I may add it would not be fair to our super veteran players.

Only if I had joined earlier, I could have this bundle.

Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
Indigo Ring on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
Sneaky Hunter: "Actually, KI can bring it back if the wanted to its just a matter of if they would, there is nothing holding them back from it."

Well, of course they could, Hunter. No one has said otherwise. What we have said is if they bring it back, or any part of it, they are violating a promise they made when it was released.

-Indigo
KI can go back on there word and that wouldn't be very right but I am saying they could. They could bring it back for a limited time and maybe even give the people who bought the first boochbeard bundle another gift that only they got, maybe they could give them a exclusive companion or mount for free. And the bundle wouldn't stay forever, it would be just for a few days. Plus they would make a big profit knowing how much people want the bundle.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 22

Ensign
Jan 14, 2013
24
ElijahWaterVault on Jul 22, 2016 wrote:
Now that it's Christmas in July, you can receive a 7-Day-Rental Pirate Parrot mount in the gift boxes around Skull Island. Maybe that will resolve your need for something in this bundle. I personally have received 2 of the parrot rental mounts.
I have also received a parrot mount on one of my accounts. I think if people are saying they can't bring back the cat companion for a limited time only then how can they bring the parrot back? Yes, it's a 7 day rental but still, you can still have the exact mount from the bundle. Even if they can't bring back the cat companion, they could bring a new bundle and put a cat that looks a lot like Felix from snail and newt tavern like anecorbie mentioned in the thread about getting new players.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1084
Sneaky Hunter Radc... on Jul 22, 2016 wrote:
KI can go back on there word and that wouldn't be very right but I am saying they could. They could bring it back for a limited time and maybe even give the people who bought the first boochbeard bundle another gift that only they got, maybe they could give them a exclusive companion or mount for free. And the bundle wouldn't stay forever, it would be just for a few days. Plus they would make a big profit knowing how much people want the bundle.

Lvl 70
Lvl 56
Lvl 22
Sure they could. And they would have shown that they cannot be trusted to keep their word. Why, then, would anyone want to trust them about anything after that?

Look I get that it's frustrating not to get a thing you want. And your suggestion that then KI could give the original bundle purchasers a different exclusive companion or mount? And then people would want that and the pleading would start and then what? KI release those things for another limited time only, and then give the original Boochbearders yet another "exclusive" companion or mount?

The cat pirate and the skarakeet and the permanent parrot mount are the exclusive gifts given to the purchasers of the Boochbeard bundle during the one and only time it was available.

1