Suggestion/Question for Blind Mew

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
Hey all! Today, I have a suggestion that MIGHT interest some of you. I was thinking......what if KI made significant bosses like General Tso, Captain Swing, and even Captain Kidd into companions? I believe that it would quite cool, and they would be pretty epic additions to ANY crew. Now, for my question. Blind Mew, do you believe that this idea would work, because unlike Armada companions, I know these guys would fight for us without question, like Fin Dorsal. What do you think, Blind Mew? And to everyone else, what do you all think about this idea.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
warriorscreed on May 11, 2014 wrote:
Hey all! Today, I have a suggestion that MIGHT interest some of you. I was thinking......what if KI made significant bosses like General Tso, Captain Swing, and even Captain Kidd into companions? I believe that it would quite cool, and they would be pretty epic additions to ANY crew. Now, for my question. Blind Mew, do you believe that this idea would work, because unlike Armada companions, I know these guys would fight for us without question, like Fin Dorsal. What do you think, Blind Mew? And to everyone else, what do you all think about this idea.
They would be quite powerful, but why would they want to join us? General Tso is very powerful and practically rules Khotan, what is in it for him to join a pirate crew? Captain Swing is in the Glass House for plottimg to blow up the dry docks, would the Crown release such a dangerous prisoner? Captain Kidd was only haunting St. Fido's because he was falsely accused of piracy; remember he was a pirate-hunter, I don't think he would join us. There's a reason why KI doesn't make every foe we defeat available as a recruit!

Ensign
Apr 06, 2009
3
I personally feel that this would take away from the point of taking down your worst enemies. If after all the build up of destroying Captain Blood, one just simply had the option to recruit him... That would take away from the fun, haha. General Tso hates the pirate, and only submitted due to his delicious chicken being threatened. It would truly just be weird to have him on your crew after that. I actually do not like the fact that Finn Dorsal could become a companion, as I wanted him to be that enemy that just never went away, but I understand why KingsIsle chose to do it. Plus, Count Castillo De Brass fills that role nicely at the moment, haha.

With the story line in question, the more important reason that KingsIsle could not consider this is due to limited Bandwidth. They only have so much space to add information, and having to slightly remodel enemies to fit companion sizes just does not work within their limit.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
612
anecorbie on May 11, 2014 wrote:
They would be quite powerful, but why would they want to join us? General Tso is very powerful and practically rules Khotan, what is in it for him to join a pirate crew? Captain Swing is in the Glass House for plottimg to blow up the dry docks, would the Crown release such a dangerous prisoner? Captain Kidd was only haunting St. Fido's because he was falsely accused of piracy; remember he was a pirate-hunter, I don't think he would join us. There's a reason why KI doesn't make every foe we defeat available as a recruit!
Then what if they made VARIANTS of them available to recruit? They did that with Gortez/Goronado. They could have variants of the 3 characters I listed and more. Also, the Crown released Catbeard, and he was in there on who knows how many acts of treason against the Crown. Swing was just trying to blow up a dry dock. Now, if they released Meowiary, that would be QUITE dangerous, but fun. And Captain Kidd, well, he's a pirate hunter, and our player characters HUNT pirates sometimes. All I am saying is, maybe variants would be better than the originals. Just use the same design, use a different name, and maybe change their armor/outfit a bit. I would by ANY significant boss KI puts up for grabs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
warriorscreed on May 12, 2014 wrote:
Then what if they made VARIANTS of them available to recruit? They did that with Gortez/Goronado. They could have variants of the 3 characters I listed and more. Also, the Crown released Catbeard, and he was in there on who knows how many acts of treason against the Crown. Swing was just trying to blow up a dry dock. Now, if they released Meowiary, that would be QUITE dangerous, but fun. And Captain Kidd, well, he's a pirate hunter, and our player characters HUNT pirates sometimes. All I am saying is, maybe variants would be better than the originals. Just use the same design, use a different name, and maybe change their armor/outfit a bit. I would by ANY significant boss KI puts up for grabs.
Not saying you're wrong, but even variants may unbalance game play. Gortez wasn't actually a villian. Catbeard was released under special conditions caused by the war. As for Captain Kidd, after his name was cleared, he no longer has a reason to haunt St, Fido's, I concider his spirit laid to rest ( of course we can still farm him ).

Meowiarty ( as much as I like him ) is WAY too dangerous to set loose; although he may escape, and then we have to hunt him ( that would be fun, him taunting us, leaving little clues, and dangerous traps in his wake a la The Joker of Batman... )

But I digress, it may be that more companions will appear in the Crown shop in the future that will make Gen. Tso and all look like kindergarten kiddies.