Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

seriously fed up with ship and ship battles

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
hello KI
this is my third pirate and now i am totally fed up with the ship end of pirate101
nautical levels and ships cannot complete quests without endless boarding and endless did not collect
this is so annoying that i want to pack it in and find another game
this game is a pirate ship combination but the ship value of the game is useless , no longer fun and very very annoying

the ships are never strong enough, the attacks do very little damage compared to the enemy ship

the nautical experience is so far behind the pirate experience that you cannot catch up in time as you continue to level and proceed to stronger worlds
the available ships needed to compete with your pirate level are not available until it is too late
i can see that even with a new world the ship uselessness will still be there

when i try to increase my nautical and fight ships i can sink, the nautical reward is 1, 1? come on already

sorry KI, the ships and their attacks are useless and need to be addressed

Community Leader
canuckess on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
hello KI
this is my third pirate and now i am totally fed up with the ship end of pirate101
nautical levels and ships cannot complete quests without endless boarding and endless did not collect
this is so annoying that i want to pack it in and find another game
this game is a pirate ship combination but the ship value of the game is useless , no longer fun and very very annoying

the ships are never strong enough, the attacks do very little damage compared to the enemy ship

the nautical experience is so far behind the pirate experience that you cannot catch up in time as you continue to level and proceed to stronger worlds
the available ships needed to compete with your pirate level are not available until it is too late
i can see that even with a new world the ship uselessness will still be there

when i try to increase my nautical and fight ships i can sink, the nautical reward is 1, 1? come on already

sorry KI, the ships and their attacks are useless and need to be addressed
In taking my Buck to 50, I never had to board for any of the ship battle quests. It will always be faster to sink them as you can sink at least 3 or 4 ships in the time it takes to board one, so I could understand your frustration if that was the only method you have been able to use.

That being said, you should be able to keep up fairly well with ships that are close to the level you are playing at. There seems to be a new ship available every 2-3 levels. It can get expensive to upgrade your ship and ship equipment all the time, but it's similar to your pirate's gear in that you need to get new gear with every 5 levels, ships even more so.

With my first run though the game, I waited a long time to buy a new ship because I had foolishly spent most of my gold trying to keep my companions 1 or 2 levels below me instead of upgrading my ship, ever fearful that the next free ship was just around the corner. Is this what's happening to you? Remember, there are several places that sell the new ships in each area, so if you're finding your current ship is too low, head to Puerto Mico, Cooper's Rest, Bison Villige, or Tumbleweed and pick up the highest ship your Pirate level allows. Since nautical level doesn't restrict you in what ship you can buy, that shouldn't be a problem. My Witchdoctor who has not done almost no side quests and a minimum of NXP grinding just ran into the first instance of not being able to get equipment for her current ship. She's lvl 40, nlvl 29 (ship parts for the lvl40 MooShu ship start at nlvl 32).

Anyway, not exactly sure what is causing the specific issue you're having, but even with a severely under-level ship, you can always hang around the area of the mob ships you need to destroy during peak hours and hope some one else comes by to shoot them down. All you need to do it jump in to help and you'll be done in no time!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
In my first run through of the game - I spent all my gold on companion points. Which was silly. Because my ship wasn't getting upgraded and it was practically impossible to move on with the Main storyline when I couldn't defeat X of X ships in certain areas.

I definatly changed it up with my run now of the game. Instead of spending gold on companion points, I am simply saving my points up from when gaining levels and whenever I have trouble with some ships which I cannot defeat by myself at all, I go to the local town in the area and buy the newer ship. It usually helps alot and levels the playing field. It costs gold, but its definatly worth it.

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
like i said, this is my third pirate

of course i buy the best ship and equipment i can find for my pirate and nautical level
companions have nothing to do with my complaint or the gold needed

the nautical component of this game lacks in giving the ability to sink ships at the level of quests given

because of the experience i do have with pirate101 i feel that no matter what i do or how i do it, the nautical and ship levels are always far behind my pirate level and the ship and equipment available are not strong enough to sink ship quests without the annoying board ship to complete the quest

on top of that, the did not collect issues continue to annoy me regardless if i try solo or bring in help

with this third pirate, i decided to accept only nautical side quests in an attempt to solve the slow nautical leveling process, i am sad to report that this did not help to solve any of my complaints about the nautical leveling which affects the equipment and ships available at a particular level

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
I have to agree that the ship battles are fairly tedious, whether you keep your ships are up to date or not.

I am not an advocate for making things easier, but in this case, given that a lengthy battle is just dull, I would like to see the cool-downs reduced hugely and the damage increased.

Community Leader
canuckess on Feb 6, 2013 wrote:
like i said, this is my third pirate

of course i buy the best ship and equipment i can find for my pirate and nautical level
companions have nothing to do with my complaint or the gold needed

the nautical component of this game lacks in giving the ability to sink ships at the level of quests given

because of the experience i do have with pirate101 i feel that no matter what i do or how i do it, the nautical and ship levels are always far behind my pirate level and the ship and equipment available are not strong enough to sink ship quests without the annoying board ship to complete the quest

on top of that, the did not collect issues continue to annoy me regardless if i try solo or bring in help

with this third pirate, i decided to accept only nautical side quests in an attempt to solve the slow nautical leveling process, i am sad to report that this did not help to solve any of my complaints about the nautical leveling which affects the equipment and ships available at a particular level
Hmmm . . . I've been through a good portion of the game on two different characters: for one, I did all the sidequests possible, but didn't keep my ship upgraded. On the other, I skipped most sidequests but kept my ships upgraded. In both cases, my nautical level was rarely an issue. It cropped up that every once in a while a fight would be too tough, but usually, that was due to adds, not just a one on one battle.

I'd like to help, but I can't exactly figure out what the difference is between my play experience and yours. Given that you've gone through the game 3 times now, most questions I'd ask would seem condescending. I suppose the best advice (and what I did if I ever ran into trouble) was what I already gave: try to find other people. My first run through the game, this was difficult, given the game was still new leaving the higher level areas underpopulated, especially at the late-night times I was playing. Now, however, the skyways feel a bit more full of life and it's much easier to meet up with someone. Ship combat is exponentially easier with just one more person, let alone 2 or 3.

For raising nautical level, in Subata Skyway, near the Paths of Penance, there are almost always people fighting the pig pirate ships (I think they are NLVL 41-43). If you have any high level friends, or you are at that point in the game, just sail over there or have someone go there you can port to and join those battles. The ships are close together, re-spawn quickly, drop great ship parts that sell for 700-900g/piece and will give you a ton of NXP. Once you're in your Nlvl 40's, head SE over by Wai No Shrine and see if anyone is fighting the Jade Ships over there. You can ride that to Nlvl 50.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
Ships are every four levels. Honestly unless you can find someone that you can tag along for grinding it's going to be an uphill battle. Best scenario is someone in mooshu as you'll get 250-285xp a pop. It takes too long to fight ships your level solo and even longer if you board or are boarded. I think the boring part is more of the problem than the time to kill to be honest. Mash a couple spells pop your heal if need be and wait. Angle and range don't have any real significant effects and you only have four spells. You just park and shoot.

EXCITING!

Community Leader
I read these posts and am somewhat flabbergasted as they say because my experiences have been so much different.

I have pretty much a completely opposite outlook of ship battles.
I am on my 8th pirate (had several in Beta), and havent had issues with ship battles at all.

I noted that KI added Nautical XP to a number of quests, which improved nautical progress when the game went live (we didnt even have that in beta!), this helped quite a bit to keep a pirates nautical moving upwards. It is still something you have to work on however, its not just going to take care of itself. Just like a pirate can require leveling to be successful as they progress, so do the ship battles. I think that many are expecting this to just happen automatically, but its a facet of the game that requires attention of its own as well. You cant just play the game and ignore your nautical level, your a pirate, and you'll have to go out and sink a few ships for fun and plunder, not just do quests. If a ship your attacking has a higher nautical than you, its going to be difficult without a bigger ship to compensate.

I never board a ship unless the quest specifically requires it. If I get boarded by accident, I flee, sail back and start over, because that usually takes less time than an on board battle. I can also usually sink 4-6 ships (or more) in the time it takes to defeat one by boarding. This improves those "collect" quests immensely by improving my chances 4-6 to 1.

I prefer to tackle ship battles with multiple pirates, nothing easier than this, but have been able to solo them as well, it does take longer, and I find these battles make use of my maneuvering skills, but that in itself is fun.

Ship battles are one of the best ways in the game to gain gold, not to mention ship equipment to upgrade your ship and make ships work even work better for you. The higher your nautical level is, the more successful you will be.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Sep 16, 2010
I totally can understand the frustration of bbopaloobop.
I have the same problems...im not very good at seabattles cause i see others doing the same ships with lesser ships (frigatte instead of my galleon same origin tho). Im nearly to sink and they do 2 ships in the time i barely sink one.
Its my second pirate now and my first is even worse. i got so frustrated i retired my first pirate after reaching mooshu cause i couldnt sink one ship always had to board them...
i took a break after that (played wiz101 instead) but i really like the style,story and the normal battles really much.
i really dont know what to do im 37lvl now and my nautic is at 26lvl. i did every sidequest i could find especially those with nautic xp. im still in tumbleweed and doing right now a quest to sink 12 wildbunch ships...im doing that quest now for 2 and half hour still need 3 more.

I would really appreciate to get better equipment earlier or i dont know some that would help me tho.
And yes i try to find someone who is doing the same quest and i do a lil server hopping but its really hard.

Lux

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I am also not sure why, with regular ship upgrades, you are having so much trouble. I sometimes hit points where I cannot sink ships I need before they board me, but it is when I have not upgraded in awhile (usually Cool Ranch because I am not fond of the appearance of the bison ships).

Best answer I can think of (and not gold-heavy) is go to a somewhat busy realm and team up with someone who needs the same type of ships sunk. That can finish these quests very fast, esp. if you take turns - you take the lead on Target A, and after he sinks while your ship heals your partner leads the attack on Target B.

Good luck!

-Michael

Ensign
Sep 16, 2010
Im happy for everyone who has fun and sucess in Shipbattles. I really wish i could say the same for me.

Something that comes in mind right now.
To help players like me that arent that skilled in Seabattles.
How about some sort of Naval School maybe in Port Regal. There you could buy some passive Skills with practice points. So you can handle Shipbattles more easily.
KI doesnt has to change Seabattles and those players who are fine with Shipbattles dont have to buy those kind of skills.

Just my idea to find a solution everyone would be fine with.

Have a nice Day pirating and always a pint Yum in your Mug.
Lux

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
lots of feedback here, awesome, however...

the only way to enjoy the ship battles in my mind is like luxanna, with a pint of yum in my mug!

every now and then, i can sink 1 ship but not when two enemy ships are firing and this happens a lot as well

lets not forget, DID NOT COLLECT

SCREAMER

Developer
Luxana on Feb 7, 2013 wrote:
Im happy for everyone who has fun and sucess in Shipbattles. I really wish i could say the same for me.

Something that comes in mind right now.
To help players like me that arent that skilled in Seabattles.
How about some sort of Naval School maybe in Port Regal. There you could buy some passive Skills with practice points. So you can handle Shipbattles more easily.
KI doesnt has to change Seabattles and those players who are fine with Shipbattles dont have to buy those kind of skills.

Just my idea to find a solution everyone would be fine with.

Have a nice Day pirating and always a pint Yum in your Mug.
Lux
I like this idea.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Luxanna: "How about some sort of Naval School maybe in Port Regal. There you could buy some passive Skills with practice points."

An interesting idea. If you have not already done so, why not post it on the Do-You-Have-a-Nifty-Idea thread?

-Michael

Ensign
Dec 22, 2008
I like ship battles and don't like boarding or being boarded since we have enough of those battles on land. What I would like to see changed is the nautical leveling. What bothers me is that I have all those older ships that I can never use again. I think that nautical points should be awarded according to the level ship you use and not the area you're in. If I use my Raft in Skull Island I should still get 20-30 points, not just 1 point. If I use my Bison then the 1 point is justified.
I still have 2 ships sitting in my gift box from the Cutthroad and Admiral Bundles that I can't/don't use because at any level I try to get them the other Crown ships at my level are better when it comes to armor and upgrades at that point.
Having some kind of school/training option for ship battles would be great. Maybe even some new Quests with ship level limitation would be nice.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I suspect the biggest frustration has to do with the fact that experience points from quests give you enough experience to easily keep up with the increasing level of the opponents.

This does not, however, carry over to ship to ship battles. You often find yourself spending lots of time just battling ships for the sake of battling ships just to keep your nautical level up. Perhaps KI could be handing out a few more side quests that give only nautical experience?

Best I can suggest is to do your ship to ship quests on busy districts and gang up with other pirates on the same ship. Often, you can be hitting the enemy when they are firing on someone else, not you (each ship targets only a single ship, no matter how many are attacking them) and when the ship sinks, every captain gets the same loot. It is NOT divided up. When I want to raise my nautical level, that's exactly what I do. You can often join a fight that is taking on ships two to three levels ABOVE your present nautical level, and the XP for that is quite substantial.

Also, realize that you are only going to get 1 XP for ships that you can blast with a single round. If you take your Bison Frigate, that you got in Cool Ranch, and take on Cutthroat Ships in Skull Island Skyway, yeah, you're only going to get 1 XP. There is no danger or challenge in that. Take that same ship to Monquista, and find ones closer to your level, and you will be more highly rewarded. Best results for a single ship against a single ship is to attack ones that are two levels below you. You are not likely to lose, and the nautical experience is fairly substantial. It should only take sinking about 30 of those ships to raise you to the next level.

You should not have to buy a new ship until you get to Cool Ranch. The one you get in Jonah Town and Puerto Mico should suffice you, PROVIDED you upgrade the ship equipment to the best you can buy. That is a much more important investment than companion training tomes.

Petty Officer
May 22, 2011
wanna know what i'm fed up with about broadside combat? once in Monquista i was driving around and i got attacked by a ship i couldn't see.

Fair Esperenza Drighton level 20

Ensign
Dec 15, 2012
to be honest one of the first quests in cool ranch needs you to fight ships 2-3 levels higher than you and why do you want us to do this KI and why do you have to be in a spesific area for higher secsess rate cant they all be the same( i know this cus i was farming this area for a quest and i never got the objetive then i asked my friend and he told me to follow the map to one of the icons and BAM i got the ojective in one battle) and also ,PLZ KI plz change it so that we can only fight one ship at a time because when im fighting a boss ship suddenly this other mob ship comes along and starts shooting at me and the BAD thing is that i cant do anything about it so plz KI cange these

fearful talon jackson level 18 working on cool ranch

Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
Hello fellow Pirates!!! Happy Jose Hawkins here. I just wanted to say that though nat-lvls do take some time and grinding to get to where you need to be when the next world opens it will be well worth the effort. By the time I finished Mooshu my Witchdoctor was Lvl 50 and I had 5 or so of my top companions at level 44. My nat-lve was a mere 42. I had no problems at all completing any quest and I rarely boarded another ship.

I went back and completed every side-quest I could find with training tomes, from Skull Island to Mooshu. Now all my crew is level 48 (spent some gold too) and my nat-lvl is also 48. I captain a Marleybone Invincible Gallon (Hero's Triumph) with all the bells and whistles I can load her with. I do find it tiring to fly around with nothing major to do, but I spend my time helping friends and strangers and work on my home (Buccaneer's Den). For anyone out there that finds the grind for gold and xp tedious, rest assured it will be well worth it when the new world opens up.

Have fun out there pirates......Ship ahoy

Look for me in the Spiral...
Happy Jose Hawkins & The Hero's Triumph
Level 50 Witchdoctor.