Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Separate PvP from Quest Game

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
I'm sorry to those that will immediately get upset about this idea but I think that at the log on screen you should decide if you will go into the game or a separate PvP only branch of the game. This would allow KI to have different rules operating in regards to players powers, talents and systems.

I'm tired of the amount of whining that comes from the PvP people regarding "fairness" and "balance" with every addition of any companion, magic item, power or talent.

The game is designed around a questing story line. I understand that many people want to flex their pirates pecs at other players and talk "smack", and you should have an area for you to do that, but you constantly throw monkey wrenches in the primary game with you vocal insistence on having your PvP balance being maintained.

Fantastic creative companion additions to the primary game like Goronado and Nausica are derided because they create a perceived "advantage" in PvP. Needed tweaks to powers such as the "Charge" line of spells the Bucks have are derided, but worst of all is when the PvP whining elicits changes that work well in the questing but not in the PvP realm.

Many times In the questing primary game the fights contain "cheats" or many talent laden adversaries that need to be overcome. We do this with talents, powers, companions and magic items we buy or intentionally quest for. These don't always translate well (or not at all) into well balanced additions to the PvP world. They are two different games with two different needs. I saw in Wizard101 the negative outcome to the primary quest game when catering to the PvP people and with this last update I see it happened to the Privateer class. This class is all about buffing those around them and their buffs just lost at least half there power between time reduction and probability reductions (critical chance buffs)

I'm not against PvP or the people that do it, I just think they need their own place with their own rules.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Silverlock67 on Jun 4, 2014 wrote:
I'm sorry to those that will immediately get upset about this idea but I think that at the log on screen you should decide if you will go into the game or a separate PvP only branch of the game. This would allow KI to have different rules operating in regards to players powers, talents and systems.

I'm tired of the amount of whining that comes from the PvP people regarding "fairness" and "balance" with every addition of any companion, magic item, power or talent.

The game is designed around a questing story line. I understand that many people want to flex their pirates pecs at other players and talk "smack", and you should have an area for you to do that, but you constantly throw monkey wrenches in the primary game with you vocal insistence on having your PvP balance being maintained.

Fantastic creative companion additions to the primary game like Goronado and Nausica are derided because they create a perceived "advantage" in PvP. Needed tweaks to powers such as the "Charge" line of spells the Bucks have are derided, but worst of all is when the PvP whining elicits changes that work well in the questing but not in the PvP realm.

Many times In the questing primary game the fights contain "cheats" or many talent laden adversaries that need to be overcome. We do this with talents, powers, companions and magic items we buy or intentionally quest for. These don't always translate well (or not at all) into well balanced additions to the PvP world. They are two different games with two different needs. I saw in Wizard101 the negative outcome to the primary quest game when catering to the PvP people and with this last update I see it happened to the Privateer class. This class is all about buffing those around them and their buffs just lost at least half there power between time reduction and probability reductions (critical chance buffs)

I'm not against PvP or the people that do it, I just think they need their own place with their own rules.
Has anyone not heard Ratbeard say countless times that he has not even BEGUN to balance for PvP yet? None of the game changes had anything to do with PvP. They were made to improve general gameplay and to correct prior mistakes. Please don't blame these fixes and updates on PvP.
I know that when Ratbeard DOES start to adjust things for PvP he will tell us in his nefarious style and the resulting cheers/uproar will be well heard and clearly defined.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you are upset by whining ( or someone's concerns ) about pvp, you have the option of not reading the posts. The same goes for the Brawlin' Hall and Spar Room, if you don't like the talk in that area - don't go there! Pvp or not that's everyone's option.

Developer
It's a reasonable concern.

Therefore you will be happy to know that there have been no changes to the game to cater to PvP.

The changes to the durations on all buffs-- by no means exclusive to the Privateer-- was due to balancing the buffs against themselves, so that the progression from rank 1 to rank 2 to rank 3 was logically consistent, and ensured that every power remained useful throughout your pirate's career.

This change was overdue and on the Systems change list for a long time.

Because of the changes to the primary stats' (AGI, STR, WILL) damage bonus, and the changes to critical hit calculations using those stats, the last update was not just an opportunity to make that overdue change, it necessitated it.

In the meantime there are tools at your disposal for avoiding "smack talk" and other unpleasant whining regarding PvP, including but not limited to (a) putting annoying players on your Ignore list; (b) avoiding the PvP zones in the game; and (c) avoiding the Spar Chamber here on our forums.

Ensign
Mar 15, 2012
I appreciate your insightful reply Ratbeard. My two little boys and I greatly enjoy the world and story you have created for us to play as a family in. We continue to look forward to meaningful updates that enhance the playability, complexity and general fun within the Pirate world :)