Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Say What?- Improvements to chat

1
AuthorMessage
Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
Have something you want to be able to say in menu chat or add to filtered chat allowed words?

I would like Wizard101's recent change, where if you type something that is available on the menu chat list, it shows up as a menu phrase anyone can hear.

Menu:
Stand next to me for a boost
Wait for the enemy to approach
Stay away from the barrels
Farewell

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1759
I think "No Problem" should be available with the "Yes/No/Thanks" phrases.


Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Willowydream on Mar 26, 2018 wrote:
I think "No Problem" should be available with the "Yes/No/Thanks" phrases.

"Your Welcome" should be moved next to "Thank Ye". Why have it in the Happy category in Battle Chat?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
Welcome to my house.
Welcome to my ship.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
I would like to be able to say "typo" in the filtered chat. Not sure why that one is showing in yellow. It would be quicker than finding "Oops, I said the wrong thing!" in menu, or typing it out.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Calamity Finch on Apr 8, 2018 wrote:
I would like to be able to say "typo" in the filtered chat. Not sure why that one is showing in yellow. It would be quicker than finding "Oops, I said the wrong thing!" in menu, or typing it out.
Wouldn't just saying "oops!" work as well? "tie po"?

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
anecorbie on Apr 9, 2018 wrote:
Wouldn't just saying "oops!" work as well? "tie po"?
I'd still like it as an option. "Oops," by itself is a bit general, the "I said the wrong thing" menu one less likely to be on my favorites list, as logging out sometimes clears that list. As for the phonetic spelling, sometimes I am speaking to people who are not used to reading that kind of thing, either due to reading skills, lack of familiarity with it, or because English is not their first language. I do say, "Oops," but sometimes the other doesn't know what I mean and asks, "What?" Then I have to explain, using more words, when "typo" would say it all. I'm not looking to add it to the menu chat, but I don't see anything wrong with it going through the regular filter, as a permitted white word, not yellow. Do you? I am pretty good at getting my point across, but sometimes it takes longer, when the right word can't be heard by the one I'm speaking to.
This kind of thing is what this post is about. Yes, improvements to the menu lists are part of it, but also to the approved dictionary for the other filtered chat. I remember when it used to be a lot tougher and convoluted to talk about a lot of stuff on Wizard, like real life gardens. The permitted vocabulary can grow.

Here's another I'd like to see them add to our white word list, "SWASH". It is a real word, defined as to move with a splashing sound, flamboyantly swagger or wield a sword, or the rush of seawater up a beach after a wave breaks. If you type it in game, only open chat people see it. The ones who use filtered chat would get "..."

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Calamity Finch on Apr 10, 2018 wrote:
I'd still like it as an option. "Oops," by itself is a bit general, the "I said the wrong thing" menu one less likely to be on my favorites list, as logging out sometimes clears that list. As for the phonetic spelling, sometimes I am speaking to people who are not used to reading that kind of thing, either due to reading skills, lack of familiarity with it, or because English is not their first language. I do say, "Oops," but sometimes the other doesn't know what I mean and asks, "What?" Then I have to explain, using more words, when "typo" would say it all. I'm not looking to add it to the menu chat, but I don't see anything wrong with it going through the regular filter, as a permitted white word, not yellow. Do you? I am pretty good at getting my point across, but sometimes it takes longer, when the right word can't be heard by the one I'm speaking to.
This kind of thing is what this post is about. Yes, improvements to the menu lists are part of it, but also to the approved dictionary for the other filtered chat. I remember when it used to be a lot tougher and convoluted to talk about a lot of stuff on Wizard, like real life gardens. The permitted vocabulary can grow.

Here's another I'd like to see them add to our white word list, "SWASH". It is a real word, defined as to move with a splashing sound, flamboyantly swagger or wield a sword, or the rush of seawater up a beach after a wave breaks. If you type it in game, only open chat people see it. The ones who use filtered chat would get "..."
No, Calamity, I completely agree that having more options is best - I was joking about "tie po" but if they're unfamiliar with American English or slang, then those options won't be very helpful, eh?
I do like the improvements to filtered/menu chat in Wizard and hope that we'll eventually see it here.
I want to be able to say "swash" also! Or at least the plural or possessive versions of classes.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
I'd like them to bring over some more of the menu chat additions from Wizard that are not Wizard specific.

One area that we can't say much about to a menu player are phrases having to do with houses. I suspect someday, we will have house tours, though it might be a long while. Until then, I can still invite free to play pirates, and others, to my houses, giving them peeks at other aspects of the game like house pvp, wishing wells, party room, and the interesting furniture and pets from worlds they haven't visited yet. It would be nice to have more that I can say to them. When I visit their home and ships, I'm mostly stuck with saying, "I like what you've done with the place."

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
I'd like them to add a musical note to the emoji's. For singing and whistling.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Calamity Finch on Apr 28, 2018 wrote:
I'd like them to add a musical note to the emoji's. For singing and whistling.
Nice one, I like that a lot!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
I would also like the words "trivia" "quiz" & "quizzes" added to filtered chat. Whenever I hear a player wish that they had crowns for stitching or a new flag, I try to tell them about KI Trivia Games and it's very awkward to say "ki try vie a games" or "do the tests everyday for crowns". ( "Test" is such a stern word for students - they think of a long difficult ordeal - a quiz sounds easier. )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
anecorbie on May 2, 2018 wrote:
I would also like the words "trivia" "quiz" & "quizzes" added to filtered chat. Whenever I hear a player wish that they had crowns for stitching or a new flag, I try to tell them about KI Trivia Games and it's very awkward to say "ki try vie a games" or "do the tests everyday for crowns". ( "Test" is such a stern word for students - they think of a long difficult ordeal - a quiz sounds easier. )
Adding to this: Have the phrase:"Play Kingsisle Trivia games to earn free crowns" added to Menu Chat, that way players can tell everyone about this.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
Having run Boot Hill again, I noticed that there is a menu selection for, "Please do not attack obstacles". Maybe there should be one for, "Please attack objects." It might be useful for some of those dungeons where we have to interact with an object. Sometimes the menu player is the closest to those items, but is focused on attacking the enemies only. It might also be useful for battle-boards where there are a lot of obstacles in the way of getting to the enemy, and might help in planning strategy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Please put "Yer Welcome" next to "Thank You" in menu chat; it's very confusing having to go to the "Happy" category ( In Battle chat ) to say this, many players don't know where it's located and say"Aye" or "Okay" as a response.
Post Edit: Oops! I just realized that I had already posted this idea.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
I'd like "Cagey" to be added to the filtered chat. It's a good adjective, meaning reluctant to give information owing to caution or suspicion. It would also make a good pirate nickname, if it isn't already one.

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
24
What about the rarer words? Like "mechanist"? Let's face it, some of us have a much more varied vocabulary than most would think, I'm sure some folks have even tried using actual nautical terms only to find them marked because the system's dictionary didn't recognize them. Point is, the player lexicon doesn't like to be limited due to the fact it always wants to expand.

Quick question, has anyone tried seeing if the word "lexicon" is recognized?

Another annoyance I noticed is that that the chat changes everything to lowercase, even when you've written something in uppercase. That definitely needs to get fixed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
dracone on Jul 24, 2018 wrote:
What about the rarer words? Like "mechanist"? Let's face it, some of us have a much more varied vocabulary than most would think, I'm sure some folks have even tried using actual nautical terms only to find them marked because the system's dictionary didn't recognize them. Point is, the player lexicon doesn't like to be limited due to the fact it always wants to expand.

Quick question, has anyone tried seeing if the word "lexicon" is recognized?

Another annoyance I noticed is that that the chat changes everything to lowercase, even when you've written something in uppercase. That definitely needs to get fixed.
As to getting rare words added to the game's dictionary: how often do you use the word "mechanist" in everyday conversation? How often does anyone use rare words at all? KI can't always be adding rare words to their dictionary.
Sometimes they will add a word, if there's a reason; for example, the name "Shakespeare" was recently added. Before that time players would have to break the name in two parts "Shake spear". Because most players are school or college age, this word was added.
From experience, I've found that most words can be either broken up or use sound-alike versions in Text Chat.
For example "mechanist" can be broken Into "me chan i st" or "the Count of St. Germain" into "the count of st. grrr main". ( yes, a friend and I were talking about this gentleman because his other name is Cagliostro! )
About the lack of capitals, well, in almost all MMo's I've played capitals aren't used, this reflects the modern trend in texting, it cuts down time in typing. It does take getting used to; and sometimes I catch myself still capitalizing names. I even am at the point of forgetting to use punctuation, if I get in a hurry!

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
24
I sort of get it, but some breakdowns don't really work. I tried breaking mechanist into two parts, "mecha" which the system accepted without complaint and "nist" which was marked in red and didn't allow me to continue that way. And to be fair, "nist" isn't an officially recognized word, just a suffix tacked onto other words, I might try giving it a different break apart if I try to write it in the text chat again. And you're right, I don't use the word mechanist all too often, maybe two or three times over the course of a month if I'm feeling extra steampunk inspired.

I just love the steampunk aesthetic of Wizard and Pirate, but I am a little disappointed there aren't more sister games in the series. I did recently start a thread regarding suggestions for future games in the series, and one of my suggestions does have mechanist in its name. That said, it's probably not all uncommon for some players to chat about potential future installments in the game series, bot in the game chat and/or forums.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1396
This is a great topic!

There are definitely those words that bug me in-game. One of my biggest is "mainly". I always have to wind up saying "main li" or something. And friends rarely even catch what that means!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
dracone on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
I sort of get it, but some breakdowns don't really work. I tried breaking mechanist into two parts, "mecha" which the system accepted without complaint and "nist" which was marked in red and didn't allow me to continue that way. And to be fair, "nist" isn't an officially recognized word, just a suffix tacked onto other words, I might try giving it a different break apart if I try to write it in the text chat again. And you're right, I don't use the word mechanist all too often, maybe two or three times over the course of a month if I'm feeling extra steampunk inspired.

I just love the steampunk aesthetic of Wizard and Pirate, but I am a little disappointed there aren't more sister games in the series. I did recently start a thread regarding suggestions for future games in the series, and one of my suggestions does have mechanist in its name. That said, it's probably not all uncommon for some players to chat about potential future installments in the game series, bot in the game chat and/or forums.
I'm not sure that "mechanist" is a real word ( my spelling program is underlining that word as wrong ) have you tried "mechanic" or "machinist"?

I believe "steam punk" is a recognized word and can be used in the game.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
anecorbie on Jul 25, 2018 wrote:
I'm not sure that "mechanist" is a real word ( my spelling program is underlining that word as wrong ) have you tried "mechanic" or "machinist"?

I believe "steam punk" is a recognized word and can be used in the game.
It's real. It's both archaic for mechanic or machinist, and also has a more current definition, someone who thinks everything can be explained by the physical interaction of things, either mechanically or chemically. I think he likes the archaic meaning, with the steam punk mention.

I think dracone has a good point about putting more nautical terms in. Some of them might be more in the way of jargon these days, used by those who still sail, but we are pirates in flying sailing ships. There are words that are familiar to many from pirate films. Can we say, "Swab the deck"? I don't remember if we can, but I'd like to. Sounds more pirate than, "Get mopping!"

Ensign
Sep 14, 2008
24
Well, just ran into another word that needs to be added in, "Japan" apparently isn't recognized by the system.

Also, I recommend consulting a dictionary from time to time, not just rely on your writing aid to tell you if a word is potentially wrong or not, here's the word mechanist as described by dictionary.com

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9332
Calamity Finch on Jul 27, 2018 wrote:
It's real. It's both archaic for mechanic or machinist, and also has a more current definition, someone who thinks everything can be explained by the physical interaction of things, either mechanically or chemically. I think he likes the archaic meaning, with the steam punk mention.

I think dracone has a good point about putting more nautical terms in. Some of them might be more in the way of jargon these days, used by those who still sail, but we are pirates in flying sailing ships. There are words that are familiar to many from pirate films. Can we say, "Swab the deck"? I don't remember if we can, but I'd like to. Sounds more pirate than, "Get mopping!"
Hmm, good point and thanks for adding "mechanist" to my vocabulary! I'll go in and check a few phrases.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1396
"Tomato" should be added to the in-game chat. (dracone suggested it.)

1