Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Remove the NPC ships' "tether"

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
I'm sure you've all experienced it. You're in battle, down to half health, taking evasive maneuvers to avoid getting boarded, the enemy ship has a last little sliver of health... and suddenly it becomes transparent and invincible, returns to its spawn point, and heals back to full health as you impotently scream at the screen. You've just been 'tethered'. The 'tether' is a mechanic that triggers when a ship gets too far away from its spawn; it disengages from the player and becomes unattackable. I'm going to be blunt here: this is stupid. There's no real reason to include anti-kiting measures in this game, there's only one skyway I can think of that it would actually be useful at all (Monquista, I suppose you could drag high leveled ships to a low level, but they can just change realms or run), and even there it's not very useful. Meanwhile, this system trips up loads of players and steals their quest credit. It has to go.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1782
Sorry, but I disagree. It's part of the strategy of Nautical battles, as you back away from the initial engagement site, you risk incurring this "tether." The more you battle ships in the skyways, the easier it is to gauge how far you can safely move.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9386
Robobot1747 on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
I'm sure you've all experienced it. You're in battle, down to half health, taking evasive maneuvers to avoid getting boarded, the enemy ship has a last little sliver of health... and suddenly it becomes transparent and invincible, returns to its spawn point, and heals back to full health as you impotently scream at the screen. You've just been 'tethered'. The 'tether' is a mechanic that triggers when a ship gets too far away from its spawn; it disengages from the player and becomes unattackable. I'm going to be blunt here: this is stupid. There's no real reason to include anti-kiting measures in this game, there's only one skyway I can think of that it would actually be useful at all (Monquista, I suppose you could drag high leveled ships to a low level, but they can just change realms or run), and even there it's not very useful. Meanwhile, this system trips up loads of players and steals their quest credit. It has to go.
Why are you afraid of being boarded? If you're aware that going beyond a ship's spawn point causes them to heal to full health why take those evasive maneuvers? You still get the nautical experience whether you defeat a ship by sinking or boarding. And it counts to the quest just the same.
If it's scrip you're after and these ships are causing you problems, then find weaker ships.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
144
I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me; countless quests took way longer than they should have, mostly in Mooshu and Cool Ranch for me. This could be helpful at/for lower level pirates, but sometimes it's just infuriating. I totally agree with you- destroy this function!
Dashing Duncan Quinn

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Robobot1747 on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
I'm sure you've all experienced it. You're in battle, down to half health, taking evasive maneuvers to avoid getting boarded, the enemy ship has a last little sliver of health... and suddenly it becomes transparent and invincible, returns to its spawn point, and heals back to full health as you impotently scream at the screen. You've just been 'tethered'. The 'tether' is a mechanic that triggers when a ship gets too far away from its spawn; it disengages from the player and becomes unattackable. I'm going to be blunt here: this is stupid. There's no real reason to include anti-kiting measures in this game, there's only one skyway I can think of that it would actually be useful at all (Monquista, I suppose you could drag high leveled ships to a low level, but they can just change realms or run), and even there it's not very useful. Meanwhile, this system trips up loads of players and steals their quest credit. It has to go.
If you need to run that far then there is a reason why, I have never had to run so far unless being targeted by multiple ships around my level

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9386
If you're avoiding combat to heal, then why shouldn't the enemy ships also heal? These ship battles are one-sided enough with the "wounded ship-wounded enemy" combat. In the beginning of P101, when you were boarded, you faced a crew with full health, just saying P101 has already "watered down" ship combat extensively.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1129
Robobot1747 on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
I'm sure you've all experienced it. You're in battle, down to half health, taking evasive maneuvers to avoid getting boarded, the enemy ship has a last little sliver of health... and suddenly it becomes transparent and invincible, returns to its spawn point, and heals back to full health as you impotently scream at the screen. You've just been 'tethered'. The 'tether' is a mechanic that triggers when a ship gets too far away from its spawn; it disengages from the player and becomes unattackable. I'm going to be blunt here: this is stupid. There's no real reason to include anti-kiting measures in this game, there's only one skyway I can think of that it would actually be useful at all (Monquista, I suppose you could drag high leveled ships to a low level, but they can just change realms or run), and even there it's not very useful. Meanwhile, this system trips up loads of players and steals their quest credit. It has to go.
If she's that far down, board her and get the first attack. Her crew is equally wounded (unlike yours, who will come out at full health). You're not losing quest credit for having a boarding action vs having an actual sinking action. Thump the crew and be done, and save your impotent screams for something useful, like howling at that wretched hydra or raining curses on the scylla spawn (the "May your claws turn into marshmallows" curse is pretty ineffective, though, just so you know).

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
@anecorbie Being boarded takes a really long time. I'm not avoiding combat to heal, I'm engaging in combat, just moving away from the enemy as to not let them board.

@Willowydream What "strategy"? The only strategy I've ever seen in ship combat is mash buttons to attack.

@witchdoctor darius I don't have the highest nautical level, and most of the time that is the reason.

@Florenza I know I get quest credit, getting boarded just takes a lot longer.

Just out of curiousity, is there an actual in-game or out-of-game reason for this tether?

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Robobot1747 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
@anecorbie Being boarded takes a really long time. I'm not avoiding combat to heal, I'm engaging in combat, just moving away from the enemy as to not let them board.

@Willowydream What "strategy"? The only strategy I've ever seen in ship combat is mash buttons to attack.

@witchdoctor darius I don't have the highest nautical level, and most of the time that is the reason.

@Florenza I know I get quest credit, getting boarded just takes a lot longer.

Just out of curiousity, is there an actual in-game or out-of-game reason for this tether?
Sorry but your wrong in the first three

In your first point against anecrobie you still have to move really far away from the ship for it tether in al my years of playing this has never happened to me and I take evasive mane users occasionally too

Willowy dream was talking about the npc ships strategy of not chasing after the player

If you don't have the highest nautical level, do side quests giving nautical experience or just plain sink ships from the world below the one you are currently working on, the regatta is great for nautical xp too

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1782
Robobot1747 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
@anecorbie Being boarded takes a really long time. I'm not avoiding combat to heal, I'm engaging in combat, just moving away from the enemy as to not let them board.

@Willowydream What "strategy"? The only strategy I've ever seen in ship combat is mash buttons to attack.

@witchdoctor darius I don't have the highest nautical level, and most of the time that is the reason.

@Florenza I know I get quest credit, getting boarded just takes a lot longer.

Just out of curiousity, is there an actual in-game or out-of-game reason for this tether?
1) Moving away in a straight line too far is not a good strategy, as you could back into skyway creatures or the windlane, or hit the end of the tether.

2) There is definitely finesse involved in efficient nautical battling. Strategically moving in and backing up, from red to orange to grey, depending on your weapons range and accuracy, or need for a couple of seconds until you can heal, speeds up the battle. Circling your wounded victim or using a potion bottle to heal your ship are all valid counters to incurring the "tether."

3) You should send some companions on the Sailin' task to raise your Nautical level while you are offline.

4) Which takes longer, boarding and defeating wounded enemies, or healing and sailing back to begin the ship battle all over again?

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
430
Robobot1747 on Jan 5, 2016 wrote:
@anecorbie Being boarded takes a really long time. I'm not avoiding combat to heal, I'm engaging in combat, just moving away from the enemy as to not let them board.

@Willowydream What "strategy"? The only strategy I've ever seen in ship combat is mash buttons to attack.

@witchdoctor darius I don't have the highest nautical level, and most of the time that is the reason.

@Florenza I know I get quest credit, getting boarded just takes a lot longer.

Just out of curiousity, is there an actual in-game or out-of-game reason for this tether?
Because if they didn't have that tether....there would be that one evil, high-level player that thinks it is funny to pull all the Skull Island ships to some obscure corner of the skyway, where of course, regular players questing will be have a negative experience in the game. Or they will "train" the ships on other players (pull all the ships to another player and then port to a life fountain, leaving the other player surrounded by 10+ ships).

Below are some old threads with some advice/strategy to your situation:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-tavern/getting-very-tired-of-this-8ad6a4153a4f12fe013a6f5635ec3cd0/8ad6a41c3a79c991013a7a26537e5b25?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c3a79c991013a7a26537e5b25

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/unfair-advantage-8ad6a4193ab60373013ab77cc66a4db7/8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6e466d08cf?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6e466d08cf

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9386
"It takes too long"
Let's look at that time factor:
1. You stated that you've reduced the enemy ship to the "last little sliver of health", this means that if they board you, their health is in the red zone. Very easy to defeat, one hit should do it.
2. Say it takes you at least one round to get into position to attack this weakened enemy and it takes you the full 30 seconds to issue orders.
3. The enemy then moves This takes less than 30 seconds but let's give it the full 30.
4. Then you can attack, and let's say it takes you a full 30 seconds to issue those orders.
5. Because of their weakened health ( red zone ) The enemy is defeated that round.
90 seconds taken from your precious time to play a game. Gee, that's a lot of time?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Oran from Urz on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
Because if they didn't have that tether....there would be that one evil, high-level player that thinks it is funny to pull all the Skull Island ships to some obscure corner of the skyway, where of course, regular players questing will be have a negative experience in the game. Or they will "train" the ships on other players (pull all the ships to another player and then port to a life fountain, leaving the other player surrounded by 10+ ships).

Below are some old threads with some advice/strategy to your situation:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-tavern/getting-very-tired-of-this-8ad6a4153a4f12fe013a6f5635ec3cd0/8ad6a41c3a79c991013a7a26537e5b25?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a41c3a79c991013a7a26537e5b25

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/a-pirates-life/unfair-advantage-8ad6a4193ab60373013ab77cc66a4db7/8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6e466d08cf?fromSearchResult=true#8ad6a4153ab60317013abc6e466d08cf
My, such nefarious ideas you pirates come up with lol.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
144
anecorbie on Jan 6, 2016 wrote:
"It takes too long"
Let's look at that time factor:
1. You stated that you've reduced the enemy ship to the "last little sliver of health", this means that if they board you, their health is in the red zone. Very easy to defeat, one hit should do it.
2. Say it takes you at least one round to get into position to attack this weakened enemy and it takes you the full 30 seconds to issue orders.
3. The enemy then moves This takes less than 30 seconds but let's give it the full 30.
4. Then you can attack, and let's say it takes you a full 30 seconds to issue those orders.
5. Because of their weakened health ( red zone ) The enemy is defeated that round.
90 seconds taken from your precious time to play a game. Gee, that's a lot of time?
Calm down a little, he's frustrated with this function and so am I, so cut him some slack.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9386
dk4vision on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
Calm down a little, he's frustrated with this function and so am I, so cut him some slack.
No, ship battle is easy and there is no reason to complain if you're removing yourself from combat and you're aware of the tether. There are ways to avoid this function which was designed to stop pirates from running to the windlane, healing, then going after a wounded ship.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
dk4vision on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
Calm down a little, he's frustrated with this function and so am I, so cut him some slack.
What said she was angry? Or factual?

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
anecorbie on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
No, ship battle is easy and there is no reason to complain if you're removing yourself from combat and you're aware of the tether. There are ways to avoid this function which was designed to stop pirates from running to the windlane, healing, then going after a wounded ship.
Except I'm neither removing myself from combat nor running to a windlane, hence my frustration. It's also not always just a sliver of health, y'know. Sometimes it's more akin to a slightly shorter land battle.

Ensign
Sep 08, 2015
29
Everyone has their own opinion. Some people like to sink ships, some don't care about boarding. And it's because of their strength. Some are stronger on deckside combat, they probably don't have a strong ship, while for others, they are weak at simple battles and/or they are low and they are much lower when the enemy boards them. They possibly have farmed for really good ship gear, or they have been camping at the bazaar for people to drop that winning sail of the heavens. It's all a matter of strategy. For me, i hate the tether. I get really boared while waiting for my crew to finish their missing and epic hits. I have a good time spamming the attack buttons, waiting until i'm low enough to make that heal count. I enjoy ship combat, it's just a relaxation method among all of the spell slinging, and hardcore combat(i can't beat the pig bandit tower. Why pigs?!)

Annoying Amber 4314551

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Robobot1747 on Jan 2, 2016 wrote:
I'm sure you've all experienced it. You're in battle, down to half health, taking evasive maneuvers to avoid getting boarded, the enemy ship has a last little sliver of health... and suddenly it becomes transparent and invincible, returns to its spawn point, and heals back to full health as you impotently scream at the screen. You've just been 'tethered'. The 'tether' is a mechanic that triggers when a ship gets too far away from its spawn; it disengages from the player and becomes unattackable. I'm going to be blunt here: this is stupid. There's no real reason to include anti-kiting measures in this game, there's only one skyway I can think of that it would actually be useful at all (Monquista, I suppose you could drag high leveled ships to a low level, but they can just change realms or run), and even there it's not very useful. Meanwhile, this system trips up loads of players and steals their quest credit. It has to go.
Ok if a shop battle is difficult, that's a sign you need a better boat. If you upgrade your boat as you go along then no ship battle is difficult in any way except that monster in aquila maybe but he doesn't move

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1129
dk4vision on Jan 8, 2016 wrote:
Calm down a little, he's frustrated with this function and so am I, so cut him some slack.
Yes, it is frustrating. On the other hand, if the tether were removed it'd be nearly impossible to isolate a single ship (no one is tethered, remember) to focus your fire on. Other ships could move in and really gang up on you, and you'd be unable to pull back far enough to keep the attackers down to a manageable number. Lose that tether and you'd only be able to regroup in the windlanes, while all your opponent ships also heal up. Stick your prow out of the windlane and they'd be all over you like icing on a toddler's face. If you think you're frustrated now, think of the anguish you'll be suffering sans tether.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Yes, it is frustrating. On the other hand, if the tether were removed it'd be nearly impossible to isolate a single ship (no one is tethered, remember) to focus your fire on. Other ships could move in and really gang up on you, and you'd be unable to pull back far enough to keep the attackers down to a manageable number. Lose that tether and you'd only be able to regroup in the windlanes, while all your opponent ships also heal up. Stick your prow out of the windlane and they'd be all over you like icing on a toddler's face. If you think you're frustrated now, think of the anguish you'll be suffering sans tether.
I didn't say change the patrol routes, I suggested to prevent them from running away and healing. It won't be significantly more difficult to isolate a ship than it is now.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1129
Robobot1747 on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Except I'm neither removing myself from combat nor running to a windlane, hence my frustration. It's also not always just a sliver of health, y'know. Sometimes it's more akin to a slightly shorter land battle.
In that case you need to take a look at your strategy. What's your ship equipment like? Some stuff likes to be right in the red zone; you're seriously decreasing your chance to hit if you're too far away.

You can do back and fill and avoid the ships getting too close to you without slipping past the limit of the tether.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9386
Robobot1747 on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Except I'm neither removing myself from combat nor running to a windlane, hence my frustration. It's also not always just a sliver of health, y'know. Sometimes it's more akin to a slightly shorter land battle.
You have to take into consideration that the game's AI can't tell the difference between your maneuver and a ship fleeing for the windlane.
Plus you just stated that its slightly shorter than a land battle also even if you've just hit them with a couple of shots, they're still going to be wounded when they board.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1129
Robobot1747 on Jan 10, 2016 wrote:
I didn't say change the patrol routes, I suggested to prevent them from running away and healing. It won't be significantly more difficult to isolate a ship than it is now.
Part of what the patrol route does is keep them within their tethered area. And why should you be able to run away and heal and not them?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jan 9, 2016 wrote:
Yes, it is frustrating. On the other hand, if the tether were removed it'd be nearly impossible to isolate a single ship (no one is tethered, remember) to focus your fire on. Other ships could move in and really gang up on you, and you'd be unable to pull back far enough to keep the attackers down to a manageable number. Lose that tether and you'd only be able to regroup in the windlanes, while all your opponent ships also heal up. Stick your prow out of the windlane and they'd be all over you like icing on a toddler's face. If you think you're frustrated now, think of the anguish you'll be suffering sans tether.
"Icing on a toddler's face" Just delightful imagery. Thanks for the giggle.