Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Redcoats and Bluecoats!

AuthorMessage
Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
We all know the Marleybonean Redcoats, who we face on land or sea. The redcoats are based off of England's navy, and in England's navy the men were blue coats where as the army were Redcoats.

So it would be a nice touch if they Marleybonean dogs we fight in the sky have blue coats instead of red coats, what do you guys think?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9550
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
We all know the Marleybonean Redcoats, who we face on land or sea. The redcoats are based off of England's navy, and in England's navy the men were blue coats where as the army were Redcoats.

So it would be a nice touch if they Marleybonean dogs we fight in the sky have blue coats instead of red coats, what do you guys think?
There are already dogs wearing bluecoats on ships we fight, they're the officer types. They look like some kind of terrier.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
There are already dogs wearing bluecoats on ships we fight, they're the officer types. They look like some kind of terrier.
Yes they are already blue and you can find a red one in the war room in Marleybone.

But what I am suggesting is that the the redcoats with the rifles have bluecoats when they are on a ship to make it more naval like.

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2015
101
anecorbie on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
There are already dogs wearing bluecoats on ships we fight, they're the officer types. They look like some kind of terrier.
You mean the lanky ones with a pistol?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9550
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 13, 2017 wrote:
Yes they are already blue and you can find a red one in the war room in Marleybone.

But what I am suggesting is that the the redcoats with the rifles have bluecoats when they are on a ship to make it more naval like.
In the ( English ) Navy, soldiers on a ship were called Marines and they wore red. This is seen in the film Master & Commander ( a truly great film, one of my favorites. )

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
anecorbie on Jul 14, 2017 wrote:
In the ( English ) Navy, soldiers on a ship were called Marines and they wore red. This is seen in the film Master & Commander ( a truly great film, one of my favorites. )
Yeah, I think it may depend on the time period thus why the dogs of Marleybone don't wear blue on the ships, I do believe that officers always wore blue like we see in the game.

It would also depend on wether they were transporting different soldiers etc.

I do remember the navy in the latest pirates of the carribean movie being dressed in blue rather than red.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
949
Traditionally, the marines wore scarlet red coats, the same colour as the infantry, but with different emblems and buttons and such. The officers would be wearing blue, because they would be Naval officers, unless of course they are Marine Officers in which case they would still wear Scarlet Red. There were also the Artillery which wore black, and the rangers which wore green. And, I may be wrong, but I think the engineers also wore a different colour, perhaps a different shade of blue from the Navy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9550
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:
Yeah, I think it may depend on the time period thus why the dogs of Marleybone don't wear blue on the ships, I do believe that officers always wore blue like we see in the game.

It would also depend on wether they were transporting different soldiers etc.

I do remember the navy in the latest pirates of the carribean movie being dressed in blue rather than red.
PotC isn't historically accurate.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
949
I have noticed that between the two games, Wiz and Pirate. The Marleybone soldiers seemed to have slipped backwards in time.

The Marleybone soldiers we meet in Krokotopia have uniforms modelled after a British soldier of the later Victorian period, right during the industrial revolution, which makes sense for Marleybone. These soldiers have black boots, dark trousers, short red jackets and pith helmets as seen in movies like Zulu.

But the pirate101 version of the Marleybone soldier is more similar to the uniform of a British soldier of the 1700's with white overalls, long red coats and tricornes.

I suppose it could be, because the wiz soldiers are army, whereas the pirate101 soldiers are marines, and so have different uniforms. But even then, the pirate101 Royal Marines have outdated uniforms compared to the Royal Army, since the Royal Marines of the industrial revolution switches to dark blue or grey trousers, short red jackets, and swapped out the tricorn for a bell top shako.