Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ranged OP

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
Anyone else thinks that they are overpowered? They will always hit and personally I think that is unfair, This starts to be more evident in the lvl40+. The epic return fire becomes useless because they never miss. Personally I believe that if you have 100+ dodge then that should effect a little bit but no these guys will always hit. I can let it slide but i think range chars against other range chars should have a higher dodge rate, It is only fair because melee has high block/dodge against each other it should be the same for range chars.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I don't always get hit by ranged opponents, I actually dodge quite often. Are you using gear that gives extra dodge? Are you training your companions in dodge? Do you think you have less dodge than all other characters in the game?

Are all ranged attackers hitting you and never the melee attackers? Is this factual or a slight exaggeration?

Community Leader
Interesting, I actually get a kick out of watching my pirate and companions dodge lightning shots, lol. Might want to consider raising the dodge on your companions.
When I train my companions in talents i usually emphasize them in this order:

Rough/Damage
Agility/Strength/Will depending on the companion class.
Accuracy
Dodge

Personally I have not seen "dodge" work any more (or less) against melee than it does range.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
Dark Wolf on Nov 5, 2012 wrote:
Anyone else thinks that they are overpowered? They will always hit and personally I think that is unfair, This starts to be more evident in the lvl40+. The epic return fire becomes useless because they never miss. Personally I believe that if you have 100+ dodge then that should effect a little bit but no these guys will always hit. I can let it slide but i think range chars against other range chars should have a higher dodge rate, It is only fair because melee has high block/dodge against each other it should be the same for range chars.
Musketeers have terrible dodge!

As you might expect, since they do a lot of... standing still.

They do, however, have good resistance to ranged attacks, which will help to reduce the damage if they get into a back-and-forth shootout.

But if you want to tip the scales even further, then look for ways to either reduce the enemy's accuracy, or to increase your allies' dodge.

Generally speaking, I recommend that you attack the enemy where they are weak, and where you are strong. So I will send my melee attackers against their ranged guys, and I will have my ranged guys shoot their melee units.

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
Ratbeard on Nov 6, 2012 wrote:
Musketeers have terrible dodge!

As you might expect, since they do a lot of... standing still.

They do, however, have good resistance to ranged attacks, which will help to reduce the damage if they get into a back-and-forth shootout.

But if you want to tip the scales even further, then look for ways to either reduce the enemy's accuracy, or to increase your allies' dodge.

Generally speaking, I recommend that you attack the enemy where they are weak, and where you are strong. So I will send my melee attackers against their ranged guys, and I will have my ranged guys shoot their melee units.
Thanks! for answering my post, and I know exactly this technique(although I am likely to put full attention on range chars because to me the hardly ever miss, so I take them out first). However I have a lvl50 Swasbuckler with 124 dodge and I can say that i nearly always get hit with range. Which is weird, that is all I am saying, but to me that does not affect me too much since the stategy I use is the same as yours Ratbeard. But as to what I am trying to say is the talent Riposte fires off more than return fire because melee has so much lower accuracy than range chacracters. So Range chars that have it will become nearly useless in higher level gameplay. I love riposte since it boosts your damage and I am sure that return fire does the same, however I have only seen my monkey do return fire maybe once or twice, then after lvl40 never. All I really want is more chance for it to fire off in higer gameplay, it is very useful in lower gameplay since rangers dont have that 100+ accuracy yet but after that you would be lucky to even get a dodge from a range char to another. What's the point of return fire if it becomes useless after you hit a certain level?

Developer
Dark Wolf on Nov 6, 2012 wrote:
Thanks! for answering my post, and I know exactly this technique(although I am likely to put full attention on range chars because to me the hardly ever miss, so I take them out first). However I have a lvl50 Swasbuckler with 124 dodge and I can say that i nearly always get hit with range. Which is weird, that is all I am saying, but to me that does not affect me too much since the stategy I use is the same as yours Ratbeard. But as to what I am trying to say is the talent Riposte fires off more than return fire because melee has so much lower accuracy than range chacracters. So Range chars that have it will become nearly useless in higher level gameplay. I love riposte since it boosts your damage and I am sure that return fire does the same, however I have only seen my monkey do return fire maybe once or twice, then after lvl40 never. All I really want is more chance for it to fire off in higer gameplay, it is very useful in lower gameplay since rangers dont have that 100+ accuracy yet but after that you would be lucky to even get a dodge from a range char to another. What's the point of return fire if it becomes useless after you hit a certain level?
I'll review the related talents.

Keep in mind that there is some expectation that as the game progresses, from class to class, and companion to companion, your tactics will need to adjust in order to get the expected value (or in some cases, better than expected value) out of the epic talents.

Therein lies "mastery" of the game.

Ensign
Sep 19, 2012
Ratbeard on Nov 7, 2012 wrote:
I'll review the related talents.

Keep in mind that there is some expectation that as the game progresses, from class to class, and companion to companion, your tactics will need to adjust in order to get the expected value (or in some cases, better than expected value) out of the epic talents.

Therein lies "mastery" of the game.
First of all, Thanks for considering what I am saying. And you are right if it does not change then I would have to adjust my strategy towards the situation. I always choose riposte for my swashbucklers and I would like to do the same for my rangers but if that is part of the mechanics of the game then I will just have to get use to it. Rangers have thier accuracy, melee has thier damage and armor, and witchdoctor have thier aoe skills.