Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Positive Effects of Nautical XP Change

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
FTUD! I'm happy to say that the Nautical experience lift for pirates is a blessing. I have 2 "baby" pirates who recently received that extra experience. One is a level 24 and was a level 22 nautical. After a night of Sailin' from my companions, he's now at nautical 32! The other is at level 15 and had a nautical of 10, it's now a 19!
I do have one question, just how more powerful could my pirate's nautical get? Is there a level limit to experience from side or main quests?

I haven't yet noticed a decrease in difficulty in facing enemies.
Post Edit: It seems me tired eyes mistook a 5 for a 9, my level 15 pirate is "only" a nautical 16 now.

Developer
anecorbie on Oct 3, 2019 wrote:
FTUD! I'm happy to say that the Nautical experience lift for pirates is a blessing. I have 2 "baby" pirates who recently received that extra experience. One is a level 24 and was a level 22 nautical. After a night of Sailin' from my companions, he's now at nautical 32! The other is at level 15 and had a nautical of 10, it's now a 19!
I do have one question, just how more powerful could my pirate's nautical get? Is there a level limit to experience from side or main quests?

I haven't yet noticed a decrease in difficulty in facing enemies.
Post Edit: It seems me tired eyes mistook a 5 for a 9, my level 15 pirate is "only" a nautical 16 now.
Your nautical level goes up (sometimes by a lot), and yes, there is a "dampening" effect on NXP if your nautical level exceeds your pirate's level. I'd recommend a focus on your pirate XP until you catch up.

With respect to difficulty, you'll need to make use of that increased nautical level by upgrading your ship and ship gear.

Assuming that your ship and gear are the best you can get for your nautical level, and you are facing enemies at your same nautical level, you should find them about half as tough through L30, then about 2/3 until level 50, and then they'll return to their normal difficulty after that. (In all cases, the difficulty is a trend towards those levels, so don't look at them as dramatic shifts in difficulty at specific break points.)

Be careful of boarding actions if your nautical level is above your pirate level! Don't let your ship start picking fights your pirate and crew can't handle.

By the way-- anybody who was over nautical level 50 before the change may notice what looks like a bug on their character sheet. It's not a bug! You actually have a lot more XP than you need to pass the level cap (70). If I recall correctly, you'll have enough NXP banked to take you all the way to level 90 or so (given a lift of the nautical level cap).

I'm not seeing an apology here nor am I sure why one would be required anyway-- so maybe Bat can change the title of this post to something a little more useful for the community, like, "Positive Effects of Nautical XP Change."

Administrator
Ratbeard on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Your nautical level goes up (sometimes by a lot), and yes, there is a "dampening" effect on NXP if your nautical level exceeds your pirate's level. I'd recommend a focus on your pirate XP until you catch up.

With respect to difficulty, you'll need to make use of that increased nautical level by upgrading your ship and ship gear.

Assuming that your ship and gear are the best you can get for your nautical level, and you are facing enemies at your same nautical level, you should find them about half as tough through L30, then about 2/3 until level 50, and then they'll return to their normal difficulty after that. (In all cases, the difficulty is a trend towards those levels, so don't look at them as dramatic shifts in difficulty at specific break points.)

Be careful of boarding actions if your nautical level is above your pirate level! Don't let your ship start picking fights your pirate and crew can't handle.

By the way-- anybody who was over nautical level 50 before the change may notice what looks like a bug on their character sheet. It's not a bug! You actually have a lot more XP than you need to pass the level cap (70). If I recall correctly, you'll have enough NXP banked to take you all the way to level 90 or so (given a lift of the nautical level cap).

I'm not seeing an apology here nor am I sure why one would be required anyway-- so maybe Bat can change the title of this post to something a little more useful for the community, like, "Positive Effects of Nautical XP Change."
Changed title!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
Bat Masterson on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Changed title!
Mach better title, thanks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
Ratbeard on Oct 4, 2019 wrote:
Your nautical level goes up (sometimes by a lot), and yes, there is a "dampening" effect on NXP if your nautical level exceeds your pirate's level. I'd recommend a focus on your pirate XP until you catch up.

With respect to difficulty, you'll need to make use of that increased nautical level by upgrading your ship and ship gear.

Assuming that your ship and gear are the best you can get for your nautical level, and you are facing enemies at your same nautical level, you should find them about half as tough through L30, then about 2/3 until level 50, and then they'll return to their normal difficulty after that. (In all cases, the difficulty is a trend towards those levels, so don't look at them as dramatic shifts in difficulty at specific break points.)

Be careful of boarding actions if your nautical level is above your pirate level! Don't let your ship start picking fights your pirate and crew can't handle.

By the way-- anybody who was over nautical level 50 before the change may notice what looks like a bug on their character sheet. It's not a bug! You actually have a lot more XP than you need to pass the level cap (70). If I recall correctly, you'll have enough NXP banked to take you all the way to level 90 or so (given a lift of the nautical level cap).

I'm not seeing an apology here nor am I sure why one would be required anyway-- so maybe Bat can change the title of this post to something a little more useful for the community, like, "Positive Effects of Nautical XP Change."
The apology was for my doubt that a boosted NXP ( instead of a tutorial explaining how Advanced Companions could benefit the players NXP ) would be a benefit to the new player. I'm sorry if that's a bit convoluted.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
460
Life on the pirate side of the spiral is so much better when Ratbeard is back in it.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
134
Well somehow my Level 54 pirate went from nautical 55 to 70 in one battle

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
In just one finished Sailin', I reached nautical level 10 for my lvl 15 buck. Not bad, but still I could do better, I didn't do any ship battles though.

Fair Taryn Lewis

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
My baby swashbuckler was all set to face the Duck of Death, I knew that I first had to defeat 8 of his ships; imagine my delight that the number was reduced to 4! This will help with much of the "grindy" aspects of the main quest.
Has Catbeard's requests for armada & marleybone ships also been reduced?

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
glitterway123 on Oct 6, 2019 wrote:
In just one finished Sailin', I reached nautical level 10 for my lvl 15 buck. Not bad, but still I could do better, I didn't do any ship battles though.

Fair Taryn Lewis
Now, my lvl 23 musketeer is Nautical Level 19 (hurrah!), my lvl 11 swashie is Nautical Level 10, and my levl 15 buck is nautical level 13, all in one or two sailin'.

I love this part of the update!

Fair Taryn Lewis

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1171
anecorbie on Oct 11, 2019 wrote:
My baby swashbuckler was all set to face the Duck of Death, I knew that I first had to defeat 8 of his ships; imagine my delight that the number was reduced to 4! This will help with much of the "grindy" aspects of the main quest.
Has Catbeard's requests for armada & marleybone ships also been reduced?
That's nice! I've been dreading taking my babies into Cool Ranch because of DoD.

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
731
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Oct 14, 2019 wrote:
That's nice! I've been dreading taking my babies into Cool Ranch because of DoD.
Ah, the Duck of Death? My brother was stuck on him too... Maybe it's time to coax him into playing again.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
57
Wooohooo! While questing in Port Regal on my musketeer, I saw that they significantly lowered the quest goal of defeating Marleybone and Valencian ships from 10 each to 3! Thank you!

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
731
TheyMayBeBears on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
Wooohooo! While questing in Port Regal on my musketeer, I saw that they significantly lowered the quest goal of defeating Marleybone and Valencian ships from 10 each to 3! Thank you!
Four, actually. I saw that for myself... when my brother started playing again! Another Mini-Light is back in the game! (Well, at least for one evening.)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
TheyMayBeBears on Oct 15, 2019 wrote:
Wooohooo! While questing in Port Regal on my musketeer, I saw that they significantly lowered the quest goal of defeating Marleybone and Valencian ships from 10 each to 3! Thank you!
3 for marleybone ships; 4 for armada ships.... What a massive relief!

Captain
Feb 12, 2015
731
I can personally believe that this update is doing well. Last night, I saw several people in the Achean Way in Aquila. I don't know if I had just missed some type of event or something, but either way, there were more people then I had seen in years. They were blowing up Ophidian ships, fighting harpies, and I was happy to see them.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
Are the darkmoor ships lowered for Hi-Yo Silver!? Please, please, please, please, please, please!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
glitterway123 on Oct 22, 2019 wrote:
Are the darkmoor ships lowered for Hi-Yo Silver!? Please, please, please, please, please, please!!
I don't know, I went through before the change. Find out and report it here!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1902
In Search of Yum on Oct 5, 2019 wrote:
Well somehow my Level 54 pirate went from nautical 55 to 70 in one battle
I really don't like that my Level 54 pirate went straight to Level 70 by sinking one ship. I know, I'm probably the only one who feels that way.



Still no word on a tiny little ship image that we can use to punctuate our nautical posts...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
The requirement to hunt Wild Bunch ships in Tumbleweed skyway has been reduced to 3! I wonder if the Ghost Ships after Miranda will get a reduction?
It's safe to say that this is probably the best part of this update!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2019 wrote:
I don't know, I went through before the change. Find out and report it here!
*sails to CR*
*gets attacked by Red Sash Ship*

"I think I'm stuck for the moment!"

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
57
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2019 wrote:
The requirement to hunt Wild Bunch ships in Tumbleweed skyway has been reduced to 3! I wonder if the Ghost Ships after Miranda will get a reduction?
It's safe to say that this is probably the best part of this update!
Nope, "Blasted Desperadoes!" still requires you to sink six ships. My musketeer still has yet to get through Miranda, so we'll see by that point if the eight-ship requirement afterwards is still there.

At least the drop rates for a lot of ship fights were increased dramatically! I got every single fruit crate I needed from the De Monte ships (when I usually had to fight 10+ in order to get them all previously), and the payboxes from the Banditoad ships in Tumbleweed Skyways always dropped, when it would usually take me more than a dozen times to get them all.

I would like to see adjustments on side quests as well. I'm still scared of starting another swashbuckler because of Sarah Steele's first promotion, and I'm dreading Barnabas' second promotion as well. I don't think the drop rates on ships were improved on the majority of side quests as well, because I definitely had to do a bit of grinding in Aquila.

But I was more than happy for my then level 61 privateer to get maxed out in nautical level when she had a nautical level of 53. Saved me a lot of grinding later on...

Also, I've noticed the health reduction in enemies, and I'm pretty satisfied with this. (I was able to solo the Pyramid of Fire as a level 6 witchdoctor for the first time ever!) Although I saw that enemies in companion promotion quests didn't change... I still hold a grudge against Dark Crawler for brutally killing my Nausica . Well, as they say, live and learn.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
glitterway123 on Oct 22, 2019 wrote:
Are the darkmoor ships lowered for Hi-Yo Silver!? Please, please, please, please, please, please!!
Reduced by two; six instead of eight ships.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
More reductions to report: Col. Church's ghost ships are now only 6 and the ghost ship count after Miranda is now ONLY 4!
If the high number of ship hunting was keeping you back from CR, then this will certainly encourage you to continue!
( Side quests, however, are still the same... )

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
234
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2019 wrote:
Reduced by two; six instead of eight ships.
Oh thank you KI!! And thank you for checking anecorbie!
Yes, the sinking ships really had me stumped for CR. And yes, this is, without doubt, the BEST part of the update!