Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pirates need more gold to stay competitive

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Oct 19, 2009
My pirate is at lvl 13. Pirates have more mandatory needs then what their gold allows. Here a list:
1. Training points for companions (elevating cost)
2. keep up in the ship race so broad side with mobs are easier (Cost Thousands)
3. Ship part to make your ship able to last in broadside combat
4. Gear about 4-5 different pieces

The problem is in game gold rates are very low. How can we afford to keep up on main story line if gold is not available to us at a rate we consume it? Will they be bazaar to get maxium profits off a item? Will gold be upped in game?

Ensign
Jul 21, 2011
I am lvl 12 and I don't see an issue with gold, Side quests have given me more than enough training tomes, im sitting on 17 at the moment. also you save money by not always having your companions the exact same level as you they should be a couple levels below you for maximum gain from a tome.

Ship battles are fine, upgrading your ship is usually cheaper thn getting a larger one. Ship battles are closer and take a little longer but no issues.

Buying gear I don't really find the gear to be that expensive i just sell all the drops i get from fights. also you can redo boss battles to try and get some of the better drops

Ensign
May 04, 2010
Yes i feel the same way as you do my pirate us lvl 13 as well and is barley getting any gold I'm needing a new ship but it seems like gold its just wilting away slowly and the Ship i need is like 6k (6,000) thats not even with the extra parts i need to upgrade it i hope something changes because if it dose not then I'm stuck.

Developer
HuracanViciousSky on Oct 10, 2012 wrote:
My pirate is at lvl 13. Pirates have more mandatory needs then what their gold allows. Here a list:
1. Training points for companions (elevating cost)
2. keep up in the ship race so broad side with mobs are easier (Cost Thousands)
3. Ship part to make your ship able to last in broadside combat
4. Gear about 4-5 different pieces

The problem is in game gold rates are very low. How can we afford to keep up on main story line if gold is not available to us at a rate we consume it? Will they be bazaar to get maxium profits off a item? Will gold be upped in game?
I'm just spit-ballin' here, but maybe you should consider droppin' the rate at which you consume it.

As you might expect, I make it a point to play through the game myself-- without cheats or crowns or any crutches-- so I'm happy to share some of my tips with you:

1) Training tomes are expensive! I hoard my training points, and I don't spend them until I am higher level than my companions, and each training point is worth +1 level (instead of a fraction of a level). If I need more, I'll pause the mainline quest and run some side quests that award training points.

2) I don't upgrade my ships until I absolutely have to. If I can find just one other person out hunting the skyways, I'll jump into broadside combat alongside them. Two pirates working together can take down tougher prey.

This will get more and more easy to do as more pirates join the game. There are a lot fewer "lonely places" out there now-- I can almost always find someone working the mainline quest at the same place I am.

3) Even if I can't find some help for broadside, I have another tactic: I'll draw the enemy ships into boarding actions! I'll just sail up close and let them blast away at me, until I drop below 50% health and they board me. Suckers!

4) I don't often buy gear, other than weapons. You don't really even need to buy weapons, as the mainline quests will always upgrade your weapon for you at the right time. But I can't resist the urge to buy weapons at little "mini breaks" when the opportunity arises.

For any other gear, I have more than enough from just beating up on mobs.

5) ... And it's important to stop in town every now and then and sell off all the extra gear you're not using.

I jumped into the head start at the same time as all you other scurvy dogs, and I'm just about to sail through to Cool Ranch for the first time-- and I have almost 20,000 gold saved up when I get there.

Ensign
Oct 19, 2009
Side quest tend to gives companions that crowd your companion list. Pirates dont have the ability to choose there companions only there first mate. Therfore you have to keep your companions up to par to where you are in game how can you do that if you not buy the best available? It would be helpful if we could choose our prefered set of companions that way we control battles more and also only have to train those that we actually use.

Ensign
Dec 27, 2008
Ratbeard on Oct 10, 2012 wrote:
I'm just spit-ballin' here, but maybe you should consider droppin' the rate at which you consume it.

As you might expect, I make it a point to play through the game myself-- without cheats or crowns or any crutches-- so I'm happy to share some of my tips with you:

1) Training tomes are expensive! I hoard my training points, and I don't spend them until I am higher level than my companions, and each training point is worth +1 level (instead of a fraction of a level). If I need more, I'll pause the mainline quest and run some side quests that award training points.

2) I don't upgrade my ships until I absolutely have to. If I can find just one other person out hunting the skyways, I'll jump into broadside combat alongside them. Two pirates working together can take down tougher prey.

This will get more and more easy to do as more pirates join the game. There are a lot fewer "lonely places" out there now-- I can almost always find someone working the mainline quest at the same place I am.

3) Even if I can't find some help for broadside, I have another tactic: I'll draw the enemy ships into boarding actions! I'll just sail up close and let them blast away at me, until I drop below 50% health and they board me. Suckers!

4) I don't often buy gear, other than weapons. You don't really even need to buy weapons, as the mainline quests will always upgrade your weapon for you at the right time. But I can't resist the urge to buy weapons at little "mini breaks" when the opportunity arises.

For any other gear, I have more than enough from just beating up on mobs.

5) ... And it's important to stop in town every now and then and sell off all the extra gear you're not using.

I jumped into the head start at the same time as all you other scurvy dogs, and I'm just about to sail through to Cool Ranch for the first time-- and I have almost 20,000 gold saved up when I get there.
These are tips to play by. When you create your first pirate, it takes a little bit to get the gold flowing. But as you progress through the game with main and side quests, the gold and items dropped will increase your gold at a decent pace.

When in broadside combat, there might be times where it seems a little overwhelming. Always keep an eye open for others that are fighting ships. It becomes much easier when you get more ships attacking at the same time. When I was fighting ships in the Tradwinds Skyway today, there were 3-5 of us staying close to the same area where 2 Marleybone ships kept respawning. We kept fighting ships there for about an hour. Within that time, I ended up with a good amount of gold and ship equipment. Doing this also will help increase your nautical level quickly. I leveled up 4 times during that hour. Sell off what you don't need, but I also recommend to transfer some of that ship equipment to your shared bank if you are planning to create different pirates. That way, you don't have to keep buying new equipment all the time and focus your gold for the cost of the ships.

I just started in the Tierra Primata Skyway and have over 10,000 gold so far with a Pirate Frigate loaded up. These tactics do work.

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
[ Ratbeard
Developer

Oct 10, 7:51 AM
Re: Pirates need more gold to stay competitive
...As you might expect, I make it a point to play through the game myself-- without cheats or crowns or any crutches-- so I'm happy to share some of my tips with you:...I jumped into the head start at the same time as all you other scurvy dogs, and I'm just about to sail through to Cool Ranch for the first time-- and I have almost 20,000 gold saved up when I get there.]

Looks like you are the KI official tester for the live version (checking for any last minute issues so the rest of us can have the best gaming experience possible). I know I always took your advice throughout beta. Thanks for being so willing to share your expertise.

Ensign
Jul 27, 2011
HuracanViciousSky on Oct 10, 2012 wrote:
Side quest tend to gives companions that crowd your companion list. Pirates dont have the ability to choose there companions only there first mate. Therfore you have to keep your companions up to par to where you are in game how can you do that if you not buy the best available? It would be helpful if we could choose our prefered set of companions that way we control battles more and also only have to train those that we actually use.
Companions are strong as it is. It is not needed to have them at the same level as you at all times. The quests you do are made to be your level or even a bit lower. So it is doable to do quests if you're (ex) level 12 and your companions are level 9 or 10. These levels are not far from each other, therefore, it will not hinder your combat experience. Also, don't forget that there are promotion quests for some of your companions. There is one for Bonnie Anne when she reaches about level 8 and another promotion quest for RatBeard at about level 8-9. These promotion quests do wonders and make these particular companions stronger.

Also, just a little tip that works for me. When choosing your first-mate, make it a character who is not the same class as you (Swashbuckler, Witch-Doctor, Musketeer, Buccaneer, and Privateer). This way, while in battle, you will have a companion who is not using the same techniques as yourself. I also recommend making your top 3-4 companions classes that are different. This way you get a better range of different fighting styles while in combat. Well, a better chance of having a variety of attacks.

One more thing I will point out. As RatBeard has said, there are many clothes dropped while fighting. Clothes even drop without fighting bosses. And these clothes are decent. Personally, I started playing and sold my items here and there and built up gold. I am now at about 5,000 gold. And I even spent a few on training tomes. I was able to do this and I am level 12. My companions are either level 9 or 10, and they do more than enough to help me. Well, I have one companion that is level 15, but it was the monkey who is a Musketeer. I have not trained him at all yet, but for some reason, when I got him, he was 3 levels higher than I. No complaints on my end. I guess I did that quest earlier than most people would have.

Hope these were some helpful tips.
Merciful Seth Lewis

Petty Officer
Feb 24, 2012
i am into coopers roost, fighting buffaloon and red sash ships, i have killed several of both, after a fight i dont collect, for two days now...my companions keep dieing, i am getting frustrated as my ship is useless, the scurvy dogs i have to fight on the ships are more powerful, my gold has run out, as, it cost way too much to lvl them, if you dont level them they are dead with one hit from these scurvy dogs, when i sell the useless drops from all these battles so far, i get very little gold in return...

need to be able to keep up with the companions , as i can't choose which companion to use, a fight will pull the weakest companions and making the fight impossible to win

also, the yum yums , especially the blue, are no where to be found when you need them, when more pirates join the game, it will be even worse, after a battle i am just lucky to be alive, so off to collect red and blue, it takes too long to top up again, searching and searching for yum yums without having to dock , even then, it takes forever

i have gone back to the side quests to try and lvl my pirate for this stronger chapter, to no avail...picked up more useless companions, then have to lvl them, this is getting worse by the lvl

i am searching for better equipment for my ship, there really isn't much choice for this

i dont understand why it costs so much to lvl a companion, escalating with every training point i need to purchase, seems ridiculous

now, just typing this note has timed me out of the game, come on already

ugly hope leech, witchdoctor, lvl 17

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Remember, every enemy you defeat drops gold and/or items so group up with others. More pirates fighting means more enemies to defeat. This is best in boss battles where the goal is to defeat the boss, you still get gold for all the other enemies even if you didn't kill them.

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
I keep my companions 2 or 3 levels below me, I have only bought 5 pieces of ship gear ever, I have never bought armor or weapons, I did not buy a ship, or a home, and I can not afford a mount or a pet, yet I am still broke. LOL.
BUT, if you are spending your money on ship parts, I advise...don't. Like Ratbeard said, just let them board you, kill them, get your drops or kill count, and move on. If you still feel the urge to buy a bigger ship and gear it out, find a mini-game you are good at. If you hit the 4th reward level, it is ship gear. When you are under level 10 you mostly get raft gear. 10-15 gets you skiff gear, and 15+ (I am at 17 now), gets you Galleon or Bison gear. You only get rewards a max of 10 times a day, but it helps both the gold situation and the gear situation.

Ensign
Jul 21, 2011
If you need to level up you should go back and do the sidequests you skipped enemies are easier when they are not orange to you which based on your level most enemies would be. I got to cool ranch around level 19 and have no problem with the area. The bison frigate is available at level 20, and not that expensive. If you cant wait for that there is a lvl 16 bison skiff that is a minor upgrade ot the monquista ship hope this helps

Ensign
Feb 01, 2010
I enjoy the struggle to gain just a bit more gold. The idea of getting tons of gold so you can buy everything you need would make this game a spreadsheet instead of one of choices and resource management. I did have to laugh when I read the post where someone said they had 17 training points. I have 6 companions and just keeping them 2 levels below me at level 13 has cost me over 100 training points. It can take 3-4 training points to gain a level even if they are 3 below me. If I let them stay 4-5 levels below it is cheaper but they die to easily to be of any use. I have had grey cons whipe out my team of companions by the second round of the fight. It seems that even though the odds for the 5th and 6th companion are very low they always get selected for the hard fights. I think next pirate I make will only have 3 companions that way I can keep them all at my level.