Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Pets need more value

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
I do not own one pet, for the reason that they really have no power compared to companions. You cannot control them, they have weak attacks, and many of them have low health. I just find that pets don't have much value in this game as they do in Wizard101, and I know it's because of the new factor; companions.
I feel that additionally to joining us in battle, pets should give us a specific attack or maybe even have their own critical.

Additionally, I think we should have the option to train and hatch pets and possibly hatch... companions. Not too sure on the companion part, but come on, at least pets!

Right now I feel that pets hold little to no value in the game on whole.

Community Leader
Ruthless Anthony on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
I do not own one pet, for the reason that they really have no power compared to companions. You cannot control them, they have weak attacks, and many of them have low health. I just find that pets don't have much value in this game as they do in Wizard101, and I know it's because of the new factor; companions.
I feel that additionally to joining us in battle, pets should give us a specific attack or maybe even have their own critical.

Additionally, I think we should have the option to train and hatch pets and possibly hatch... companions. Not too sure on the companion part, but come on, at least pets!

Right now I feel that pets hold little to no value in the game on whole.
Not having owned a pet, it would seem that perhaps your not familiar with how they work.

Well, for the record, my pets have saved the battle more than once.

The pet you have equipped has a "chance" of being an additional teammate in a battle.

Its additional, it does not take the place of a companion, therefore any attacks a pet does is a plus to what a pirate would have gotten in a battle without a pet.

There is only one detriment to having a pet in your battle that I can think of... one.
That is they can sometimes get in the way, but thats not that big a deal.

You should try something before criticizing it.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
Training pets in Wizard is soooooooooooo boring. Add to that hatching with talents and all that nonsense (selfish talents are such a bad design) and I will have to disagree with you there.

As to the usefulness of pets, I see them as a bonus and not a necessity, as they have become in Wizard. I'm fine without them joining and when they do the can chip way at the enemy and provide a distraction. My pets often finish off enemies and if they do get knocked out it isn't a big deal because I don't need to go to a life fountain to revive them.

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
I liked it better when pets were just accessories like in w101, really pets are helpful in the game, but only in certain situations, most the times they're just burdens, adding more enemies for the prize of nothing. We're still waiting for that pet training system to come in, but then depending what pet you have and possible talents and powers, it'll unbalance the pvp world like in w101.

Ensign
May 21, 2011
I feel like they probably will add advanced pets but I'm really hoping they don't. I hate the pet system in wizard because there is too much importance placed on having the right pet and it's a long, frustrating, grueling process to get there which honestly makes me not want to play. Yes it's "optional" but, not if you want to be on par with new content and with other players. Right now pirate101 is just fun without aggravation and since all the pets are essentially comparable and are not going to make or break a pirate I can just enjoy them and chose what I want to equip based on what look I like etc.

Administrator
Pets have several values for combat. Although they can be weak, they never need to be revived between battles -- any defeated pet is automatically revived to full health at the end of combat. Pets that show up in combat are BONUS units - they don't count against how many Companions that are selected tor a fight. While you can't control them, they ARE on your team. If nothing else, they can draw fire away from your Companions and you. Also, their attacks do not count as your attacks, so it's not a question of using them or you in your round, as it is in Wizard.

We'll be adding more information in the Player's Guide about pets soon.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
May 30, 2010
I don't notice that the pets add any additional mobs to my opponents -- they just flit about and do their thing. Each pet has a talent that it can use, which may or may not be useful in a particular battle. My pet often gets in the killing blow, freeing my crew up to hit someone else the next round.

Now, two pets on the field can get annoying if you're carefully plotting where the optimal place to run your Swashbuckler next round might be, but they also count for flankers' attacks. Not being able to hit the sweet spot to drop a poison or whatever that attack is where you hit everyone adjacent to you hits the most folks from time to time is a minor annoyance.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
They can be quite useful. I don't know exactly how they do it, but they have an uncanny ability to go after that enemy that has 8 hit points left after your crew smacked him around, and pick him off. I suspect they target not at the beginning of the turn, but later at some stage during the turn. You almost never see them move to a square to attack somebody who was knocked out earlier in the turn. They know those guys are gone, and they really tend to zone in on the seriously wounded. We call it "Picking up the spare" here at Chez Weaver.

Also, remember any hit that strikes Fluffy is a hit that doesn't hit you or a crewman, and as others have noticed they do not take up a crew slot or lead to another enemy appearing so they are, if nothing else, free hit points.

If I want to breed and train pets, I will boot up Wizard101. I don't really want to see that mechanism imported to Pirate101 (although I do enjoy it; but it is time consuming and often frustrating).

-Michael

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
AstroStorm on Mar 12, 2013 wrote:
I liked it better when pets were just accessories like in w101, really pets are helpful in the game, but only in certain situations, most the times they're just burdens, adding more enemies for the prize of nothing. We're still waiting for that pet training system to come in, but then depending what pet you have and possible talents and powers, it'll unbalance the pvp world like in w101.
Sorry I was wrong on the adding enemies part.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
The only real problem I have with pets is that sometimes they don't attack during their turn. They will move, often right beside an enemy, but not attack. On rare occasions this has blocked off the enemy so that I cannot get any of my units to attack.

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
A good thing I've found when pets join the battle is that they tend to draw agro from the mobs so you have a turn or two to use your buffs without being attacked by all of them. And they take hits that you don't have to.

Ensign
Mar 04, 2013
Does anyone know how to get rid of pets in your backpack? I've got (3) now and sometimes it takes up space in my backpack. Thanks.

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
fresquez07 on Apr 6, 2013 wrote:
Does anyone know how to get rid of pets in your backpack? I've got (3) now and sometimes it takes up space in my backpack. Thanks.
You click the trash can button
Quiet Zachary Armstrong

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
In terms of removing pets from your backpack, you can sell them or you can go to your home and put them either in your bank or the joint bank for all of your characters (in the latter case, if you have another character who doesn't have a pet, that character can pull the pet out of the joint bank).

In KingsIsle's other game, Wizard101, you can also leave your pets running around your house (spare mounts, too); you cannot do that yet with Pirate101, but a lot of people have asked for that feature and I imagine at some point it will be added.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 13, 2013 wrote:
Pets have several values for combat. Although they can be weak, they never need to be revived between battles -- any defeated pet is automatically revived to full health at the end of combat. Pets that show up in combat are BONUS units - they don't count against how many Companions that are selected tor a fight. While you can't control them, they ARE on your team. If nothing else, they can draw fire away from your Companions and you. Also, their attacks do not count as your attacks, so it's not a question of using them or you in your round, as it is in Wizard.

We'll be adding more information in the Player's Guide about pets soon.
i always found the pets were awsome in combat. but i have to agree that it would be nice to see more from them. hatching is a good idea, so is training, but i think it should be diferent than wizzard101

Petty Officer
Dec 05, 2009
fresquez07 on Apr 6, 2013 wrote:
you can move pets to your bank to store them. hopefully soon they will let us place the unequipped pets in our houses like in wizards

Ensign
Mar 04, 2013
Petty Officer
Dec 09, 2012
Administrator
Heavyshark on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
Why cant we sell pets?
Most pets are able to be sold at the Free Traders.

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
I'd just like to say, thank you to everyone. I have now bought some pets for myself and see their utter and obvious help they can pose in battle. I just was looking from a viewing standpoint, I should have tried it out first. Anyways, I think this thread serves as a good information place for pets!

(By the way Jack, I saw that little note you wrote in the monthly newsletter. Thank you for clearing this up )