New Pet PVP

2
AuthorMessage
Captain
May 16, 2011
553
Also, will how will pets be leveled up? Will they, I suppose, gain "experience" as they battle?

Community Leader
Ratbeard on Mar 26, 2014 wrote:
How will pets be "converted" to the new system?

"Automagically," as we say around the office.

Will my level 65 pets remain level 65 moving forward?

I don't understand the question. Moving forward from what point to what point?

Will pets be able to exceed the level cap?

No. When the level cap goes up, the pet level cap goes up, too.

How will this translate to PvP?

  • For PvP matches under the level cap, you may occasionally face a nasty higher level pet!
  • For PvP matches at the level cap, you will face L65 pets, just like you did before. But they'll be a lot tougher.
  • In fact for all PvP matches, you'll find that pets are much tougher than previously.
All of that being said, PvP remains an optional activity in a "Test Only" state. It's unranked; a gentleman's sport, if you will. You may find that it helps to come to an agreement before the match as to whether pets may be equipped or not.

Even in PvE I see this being dangerous in the early levels where balance is concerned.

It's probably better for you to spend your time questing and advancing your Pirate, but if you'd prefer to spend your time and effort working on your Pet instead, that's fine, too. I think most players will settle into a mix of activities.
Will my level 65 pets remain level 65 moving forward?

I don't understand the question. Moving forward from what point to what point?

My pirate has a level 65 pet, advanced pets are implemented.

Will my pet still be level 65, or will it be reevaluated to a different level?

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
Dr Zeppers on Mar 28, 2014 wrote:
Will my level 65 pets remain level 65 moving forward?

I don't understand the question. Moving forward from what point to what point?

My pirate has a level 65 pet, advanced pets are implemented.

Will my pet still be level 65, or will it be reevaluated to a different level?
Your pet will be level 65.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
474
Will there be special hybrid pets? Like rare ones, that you can only occasionally get through some pet matches?

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
Dr Zeppers on Mar 25, 2014 wrote:
Heres the problem...

Your having to tell me how to "think", now I can appreciate your comments, don't get me wrong, but your having to try to change my interpretation of things. Now, if a volume of people also require this to be "explained", then its not well thought out to begin with.

That doesn't mean I condone it or agree with your comparison.
Pokémon is not "pets", its not even based on a "pet" mentality, training of pets to be sent into the arena to fight, is a bad message to our youth IMO.

Dogs that are illegally trained to fight, want to fight... that's part of their ill-begotten training.
Doesn't make it right!

I continue to pray that I misinterpreted the preview information.
I was just explaining how it can be seen as a non violent but actually just competitive type of way.
While Pokemon isn't based on them being "pets" they still have a special bond with their trainer, just like how pets have special bonds with their owners.

I am completely against illegal dog fights but I am sure that Kingsisle meant pet pvp in a Pokemon type of way. (After all it is a family friendly game)

Hopefully this helps clarify what I said before, either way it's your opinion but I don't think of pet pvp as illegal dog fighting but instead a KI version of pokemon battles but with pets

Developer
Noble Tyler Strong on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Will there be special hybrid pets? Like rare ones, that you can only occasionally get through some pet matches?
Yep.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
I haven't made my decision as I am going to try it out first. But, just wondering, If I find that pet PvP isn't for my taste, will there be other ways to grow and level and equip my pet? Will I be penalized for not wishing to take part in the fighting? Just in case wondering here is all. No stress.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
740
O btw I hope OEJ and Ratbeard don't mind but I do have one question.

Zeppers brought up the point of illegal dog fights which are illegal. Seeing as this game already has 1 pokemon reference already. (I won't spoil anything but a wise and tricky monkey says it)
Would you say that this is more of a pet competition in a pokemon way instead of an illegal dog fight type of way?

Just curious how OEJ and Ratbeard feel about this in general. :D I am all up for it because I feel like pets showing off their best is actually great and not violent at all

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
Lieutenant
Oct 01, 2010
103
Rachel Dreamsong on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
O btw I hope OEJ and Ratbeard don't mind but I do have one question.

Zeppers brought up the point of illegal dog fights which are illegal. Seeing as this game already has 1 pokemon reference already. (I won't spoil anything but a wise and tricky monkey says it)
Would you say that this is more of a pet competition in a pokemon way instead of an illegal dog fight type of way?

Just curious how OEJ and Ratbeard feel about this in general. :D I am all up for it because I feel like pets showing off their best is actually great and not violent at all
Jack sort of made a comment about that already. In this thread in fact....

I'm sure that they would never intend to do anything like that in a families' game.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
474
I have a question about pet pvp, do we have to be in 5, 15, 30 battles and win them in order to get another pet to battle, or we just have to participate in that number of battles?

Also, if we do 5 battles and unlock a new slot for a pet in pvp, do we do 15 more or 10 more in order to unlock a place for a third pet?

Developer
Noble Tyler Strong on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
I have a question about pet pvp, do we have to be in 5, 15, 30 battles and win them in order to get another pet to battle, or we just have to participate in that number of battles?

Also, if we do 5 battles and unlock a new slot for a pet in pvp, do we do 15 more or 10 more in order to unlock a place for a third pet?
Well, if it were solely up to me, you'd have to WIN those battles, because I am capricious and cruel.

Fortunately wiser heads prevailed.

You'll only need to participate in the indicated number of battles (win or lose), and the counts are total battles.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1190
Ratbeard on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Well, if it were solely up to me, you'd have to WIN those battles, because I am capricious and cruel.

Fortunately wiser heads prevailed.

You'll only need to participate in the indicated number of battles (win or lose), and the counts are total battles.
Oh, Ratbeard, you make me laugh! Most people couldn't produce a laugh by stating they were "capricious and cruel" but you have quite a talent! Thank you for all of your clarifying and helpful words -- and the words that make me laugh!

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
358
What I would like to know is if you already have pets which ones of them will be automatically leveled up to your character levels? By that I mean if you have many pirates of different levels I assume any pets in your shared bank will not apply directly to any of your pirates and would remain at level 1. What about pets in your bank?, will they be at your pirate's level that owns the bank? What about the pets that are in the pirate's backpack that are not equipped? Will only the pets that are equipped at the time of the patch be at the pirate's level?

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
159
seasnake on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
What I would like to know is if you already have pets which ones of them will be automatically leveled up to your character levels? By that I mean if you have many pirates of different levels I assume any pets in your shared bank will not apply directly to any of your pirates and would remain at level 1. What about pets in your bank?, will they be at your pirate's level that owns the bank? What about the pets that are in the pirate's backpack that are not equipped? Will only the pets that are equipped at the time of the patch be at the pirate's level?
I think that the pets that would be the same level as the pirate would be the pets your pirate received before the update.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
seasnake on Apr 3, 2014 wrote:
What I would like to know is if you already have pets which ones of them will be automatically leveled up to your character levels? By that I mean if you have many pirates of different levels I assume any pets in your shared bank will not apply directly to any of your pirates and would remain at level 1. What about pets in your bank?, will they be at your pirate's level that owns the bank? What about the pets that are in the pirate's backpack that are not equipped? Will only the pets that are equipped at the time of the patch be at the pirate's level?
Well, I did notice that my pets that were in my bank or shared bank did not get the status of "Loyal" so I went to live and made room and made sure to put all my pets in my backpacks. That way when the change goes live I will know who my origional pets where.

Developer
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Apr 17, 2014 wrote:
Well, I did notice that my pets that were in my bank or shared bank did not get the status of "Loyal" so I went to live and made room and made sure to put all my pets in my backpacks. That way when the change goes live I will know who my origional pets where.
They'll convert to Loyal when they come out of the shared bank.

2