Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

New class

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
There’s something I’ve been thinking about to help out Pirate101. And call me crazy, but I think it’ll get more players playing than if you updated the storyline. You should add another class. This’ll be great for KI, not only will you get old players coming back to finish their team of Pirates, but you’ll get new players too, because you’ll have a wider option of classes. Now I know for the most part most of the people to play will be returning players, but you’ll haul in more new players than you would if all you did was update the storyline, because that’s not really relevant to new players. As for what the new class is gonna be like, I have some ideas: maybe it could be a melee class that focuses on punching and kicking. Their weapons could be slammy, maybe brass Knuckles or metallic gloves. I know this isn’t the most piratey kind of class, but I’m sure you’ll make it work, you guys are the best. Another idea is a pirate class that uses whips and other types of smacky weapons. They could possibly be short, far-ranged pirates, only reaching a max of 1-2 units in front of them. They could also be dodgy, possessing the epics quick adjust and return fire.
I’m not a game designer, so I don’t really know which alternative would be quicker, updating a storyline 5-10 levels or adding another class. What I do know is both will get you a ton of players, which would make me happy for sure. I really hope you consider this idea.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Be aware that that means, though:

1) The intro would have to change in both dialogue and artwork to add the new class and add the manner in which you are arrested. Probably also have to add in the world where you were raised, and even a new how your parents died.

2) A new instructor would have to be added somewhere near Avery's office. Not sure where.

3) At least two if not three new companions added, including dialogue wherever that type of companion is used.

Again, not sure how much work that is, but I don't think they will be adding 2-3 new books at any one time. Probably only one.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
I fully support this idea of a new class. Maybe some sort of futuristic sciency class. Weapons could be like plasma rays or something like that.

Ensign
Oct 28, 2012
That sounds really good! Maybe a "brawler" class that uses brass knuckles and other fist-related weapons and wears heavy armor that takes the brunt of damage or switches their tankiness for high damage but with a catch of having low health. They could add a mechanic to switch between tank and damage kind of like WoW does with specializations. Just a thought to add to an awesome idea!

Sincerely,
MerlinAllPowerful
Level 70
Level 34

Lieutenant
Jan 30, 2013
The way you said this was NICE.
Most people are like KI, do this now!
But to be honest, I don't think KI will add another class. It is a wonderful idea though! If they did add a new class, I would definitely buy more membership, so it may be a good marketing idea. But they would have to update a lot of things,like make a new class trainer building, make new emojis (though I doubt that would be difficult) among may other things. They would even have to redo their intro! I mean, they are trying to make it fun for us, but at the same time they have to make sure they make a profit. I am sure, if they could, they would do every little thing we wanted. But it takes hard work and money.

I hope KI will take your idea into consideration though!
Misty,70
Zoe,39

HAPPY B-DAY P101

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
Unlike wizard101, a new class would fit perfectly into the game. There isn't too much story in the game so it wouldn't be such a pain to quest the new class character to max. Also there are 6 character slots and 5 classes, there should be an equal number of classes to character slots or more. There needs to be more variety and this could get so many new and returning players to play.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Oct 22, 2017 wrote:
Be aware that that means, though:

1) The intro would have to change in both dialogue and artwork to add the new class and add the manner in which you are arrested. Probably also have to add in the world where you were raised, and even a new how your parents died.

2) A new instructor would have to be added somewhere near Avery's office. Not sure where.

3) At least two if not three new companions added, including dialogue wherever that type of companion is used.

Again, not sure how much work that is, but I don't think they will be adding 2-3 new books at any one time. Probably only one.
Not to mention the fact that a good majority of players have filled all the slots on their account and have played these characters all the way up to max level ( current ) and have probably items that they can't place in the shared bank ( Pack or bundle companions, houses,& ships ), even if they wished to delete a character to make a new one.
Another melee class that uses smashy weapons? That's just another Buccaneer! Brass Knuckles? That's the Cestus Brace weapon!

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
If we cannot get consistent world/story updates, I would gladly take a new class to justify my 6th run through the game.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Just so everyone knows, the 6th character slot on Pirate 101 can be used for example for a second privateer so you can have 2 different privateer builds.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2017 wrote:
Not to mention the fact that a good majority of players have filled all the slots on their account and have played these characters all the way up to max level ( current ) and have probably items that they can't place in the shared bank ( Pack or bundle companions, houses,& ships ), even if they wished to delete a character to make a new one.
Another melee class that uses smashy weapons? That's just another Buccaneer! Brass Knuckles? That's the Cestus Brace weapon!
No, no, no, no, no, and no. I hope they never add a new class to Pirate101. I fully agree that the level cap isn't absurdly high, (looking at you, Wizard101), but Kingsisle needs to take in the fact that most people have already maxed out their accounts with pirates. With the lack of content to the game, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 85% of the player base has a full account. On top of that, we also have things that cannot be placed in the shared bank, like Bundle companions, Staff of Powers, or PvP Champion Weapons. Most of us cannot afford to delete a Pirate for the sole purpose of playing through a new class. You could argue that we could start a new, fresh account, but that'd be a waste of money since we already have Crowns and active memberships on our main accounts. Sorry to say it, but I'm all against Kingsisle adding in a new Pirate101 class to the game, seeing as how companions cannot be traded. I know for a fact that I cannot afford to delete my 2 noob pirates, since my Musketeer has Baar and my Buccaneer has all the Armada Companions. The last 3 classes I have are all max and done with the game. Again, I hate to discourage this post, but I hope a new class doesn't get added. That's insult to injury to people who have filled their accounts and cannot afford to delete a Pirate and join in the fun of playing the new class. Kingsisle must be fair to everyone.

Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 39 Musketeer-in-Training)
Merciless Toby Silver (Level 21 Buccaneer-in-Training)

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
crimsonreaper5 on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
No, no, no, no, no, and no. I hope they never add a new class to Pirate101. I fully agree that the level cap isn't absurdly high, (looking at you, Wizard101), but Kingsisle needs to take in the fact that most people have already maxed out their accounts with pirates. With the lack of content to the game, I wouldn't be surprised if at least 85% of the player base has a full account. On top of that, we also have things that cannot be placed in the shared bank, like Bundle companions, Staff of Powers, or PvP Champion Weapons. Most of us cannot afford to delete a Pirate for the sole purpose of playing through a new class. You could argue that we could start a new, fresh account, but that'd be a waste of money since we already have Crowns and active memberships on our main accounts. Sorry to say it, but I'm all against Kingsisle adding in a new Pirate101 class to the game, seeing as how companions cannot be traded. I know for a fact that I cannot afford to delete my 2 noob pirates, since my Musketeer has Baar and my Buccaneer has all the Armada Companions. The last 3 classes I have are all max and done with the game. Again, I hate to discourage this post, but I hope a new class doesn't get added. That's insult to injury to people who have filled their accounts and cannot afford to delete a Pirate and join in the fun of playing the new class. Kingsisle must be fair to everyone.

Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 39 Musketeer-in-Training)
Merciless Toby Silver (Level 21 Buccaneer-in-Training)
There's space for 6 pirates and there are only 5 classes, everyone could get the new class.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
I like the idea of whips. Maybe we dont need to add a whole new class but we could diversify the classes we have with new skill on certain weapons and armor. I like how we can build our gear to make a pirate more support if we wanted. Maybe a mid range attacker build would be fun.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
I think it's a nice idea, but the concerns others have brought up in regards to adjusting the storyline (dialogue alterations, artwork changes, etc.) and having full slots are valid. At the end of the day, it's up to KI to decide whether taking on such a task would help or hurt the storyline (and their pockets). Nevertheless, even though I'd prefer KI update the story, adding a new class is a nice thought and I'm not entirely against it (and this is coming from someone who wasn't too keen on making a toon for all five classes, lol).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on Oct 25, 2017 wrote:
There's space for 6 pirates and there are only 5 classes, everyone could get the new class.
Unless you've filled up ALL your slots already!

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 26, 2017 wrote:
Unless you've filled up ALL your slots already!
That would mean you have created a double pirate of a class and I don't think that should be the only way to fill of all 6 slots. There needs to be more variety and it can be easily wedged into the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on Oct 26, 2017 wrote:
That would mean you have created a double pirate of a class and I don't think that should be the only way to fill of all 6 slots. There needs to be more variety and it can be easily wedged into the game.
And you keep completely ignoring the part where crimsonreaver & I say that all our pirates have things that can't be placed in the shared bank, so deleting a character is NOT an option. ( And we're not the only ones in this situation. )
Max DeGroot had an excellent point of KI having to add new dialogue, new parents death, new MooShu companion, a new trainer with powers/talents to teach plus companion, new Kraken Skulls companion, & new Presidio companion; not to mention all the promotions these new companions would require.. Too much work there & the possibility of even finding a new class that is completely different from all current classes is impossible.
Perhaps you wouldn't mind the delay in updates this would cause in the game, but I know most of us would.
It can't be easily "wedged" in the game.

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
anecorbie on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:
And you keep completely ignoring the part where crimsonreaver & I say that all our pirates have things that can't be placed in the shared bank, so deleting a character is NOT an option. ( And we're not the only ones in this situation. )
Max DeGroot had an excellent point of KI having to add new dialogue, new parents death, new MooShu companion, a new trainer with powers/talents to teach plus companion, new Kraken Skulls companion, & new Presidio companion; not to mention all the promotions these new companions would require.. Too much work there & the possibility of even finding a new class that is completely different from all current classes is impossible.
Perhaps you wouldn't mind the delay in updates this would cause in the game, but I know most of us would.
I appreciate the honorable mention, but please try to get my name right. It's "CrimsonReaper" NOT "CrimsonReaver!" You keep making this mistake repeatedly and I thought I'd point it out.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
crimsonreaper5 on Oct 29, 2017 wrote:
I appreciate the honorable mention, but please try to get my name right. It's "CrimsonReaper" NOT "CrimsonReaver!" You keep making this mistake repeatedly and I thought I'd point it out.
so very sorry, I have an astigmatism, which causes some letters to assume the shape of another. I will try to get it right next time.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
There is also the problem of companions. Presently, the companions for each class are set, your only choice being the one you get for how your parents died. All others are tied to your class.

You add a new class, then there need to be companions that are also that class....but then nobody else would get them unless they bought them with crowns.

Unless you went back and revamped the game from square one.

Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, yes it could, for those who do have this non tradeable item issue on characters, I don't think they should have to affect every single other player. Also, KI can change the class of many other mobs out there making it an easy fit into the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
frostednutella on Oct 30, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, yes it could, for those who do have this non tradeable item issue on characters, I don't think they should have to affect every single other player. Also, KI can change the class of many other mobs out there making it an easy fit into the game.
You're ignoring everything I and other posters have pointed out as to the difficulty in adding a new class this late in Pirate101. You're also remarkably inconsistent in your statements. In "No Catbeard" you want KI to accommodate every pirate's situation, here you want KI to ignore it.
None of you have named a "new" class because it isn't possible to have a "new" class that isn't:
a ) Melee ( )
b ) Ranged ( )
c ) Magical ( )
or
d ) All of the above ( )
In conclusion, I would prefer that KI add new, different Powers/Talents from new trainers that can be used in exciting ways for the existing classes. Just as KI added Celestial Magic & Shadow Magic to Wizard101, instead of making a new student wizard.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 31, 2017 wrote:
You're ignoring everything I and other posters have pointed out as to the difficulty in adding a new class this late in Pirate101. You're also remarkably inconsistent in your statements. In "No Catbeard" you want KI to accommodate every pirate's situation, here you want KI to ignore it.
None of you have named a "new" class because it isn't possible to have a "new" class that isn't:
a ) Melee ( )
b ) Ranged ( )
c ) Magical ( )
or
d ) All of the above ( )
In conclusion, I would prefer that KI add new, different Powers/Talents from new trainers that can be used in exciting ways for the existing classes. Just as KI added Celestial Magic & Shadow Magic to Wizard101, instead of making a new student wizard.
It might be difficult to add a new class, but not impossible. World of Warcraft, Everquest, Overwatch, etc all have added new classes well after the launch of the game. Although I would like a new class (if we can't get world updates), the truth is, most of those games I just cited add new classes as part of a new world update. So doubtful, we would actually get a new class. As mentioned, a new class for Pirate101 isn't just a new class, but rather new companions, quests, trainer, voiceover.

Melee, Ranged and magical are not classes, but rather archetypes. A new class would fit into one of those archetypes. KI could theoretically create another ranged or magical class (since there are already two melee classes). For comparison, WoW has melee, ranged, healer and damage dealer archetypes, but have multiple classes under those. Typically, late class additions are hybrids of existing classes.

Finally, for those worried about max character slots...KI can add another character slot....but again...do they want the time and effort to do it?

I don't think we should crush other players ideas simply because it might be time consuming or difficult. This is the suggestions/idea section of the forums and most of us posting are not video game executives or developers to say yay or nay. If enough players ask for something...KI will find a way to make it happen (no matter the difficulty).

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Oran from Urz on Oct 31, 2017 wrote:
It might be difficult to add a new class, but not impossible. World of Warcraft, Everquest, Overwatch, etc all have added new classes well after the launch of the game. Although I would like a new class (if we can't get world updates), the truth is, most of those games I just cited add new classes as part of a new world update. So doubtful, we would actually get a new class. As mentioned, a new class for Pirate101 isn't just a new class, but rather new companions, quests, trainer, voiceover.

Melee, Ranged and magical are not classes, but rather archetypes. A new class would fit into one of those archetypes. KI could theoretically create another ranged or magical class (since there are already two melee classes). For comparison, WoW has melee, ranged, healer and damage dealer archetypes, but have multiple classes under those. Typically, late class additions are hybrids of existing classes.

Finally, for those worried about max character slots...KI can add another character slot....but again...do they want the time and effort to do it?

I don't think we should crush other players ideas simply because it might be time consuming or difficult. This is the suggestions/idea section of the forums and most of us posting are not video game executives or developers to say yay or nay. If enough players ask for something...KI will find a way to make it happen (no matter the difficulty).
Fair enough, Oran from Urz. I will leave the question of this new class/archetype in KingsIsle's capable hands. I'll hope for an extra slot ( if they do this ) and further, hope that W101 gets an extra slot as well, since many players there have asked for one ( and they have 7 schools of magic ).
My apologies if I've come across as harsh, but when you love something, you feel passionate about it.

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Oran from Urz on Oct 31, 2017 wrote:

Wizard 101 needs a seventh character slot way worse than we do. As of now you have to leave one school off at any given time.

Petty Officer
Nov 06, 2014
anecorbie on Oct 31, 2017 wrote:
a ) Melee ( )
b ) Ranged ( )
c ) Magical ( )
or
d ) All of the above ( )

Zing! Now that's an idea that I fully support.