Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Need Sound when getting Friend's Text Messages

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
I think there needs to be a sound when you get a text message from a friend because sometimes you don't see the message and, if you are getting loot, the message scrolls out of sight on the message area.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
The Helpful Pirate on Apr 19, 2015 wrote:
I think there needs to be a sound when you get a text message from a friend because sometimes you don't see the message and, if you are getting loot, the message scrolls out of sight on the message area.
That is a cool idea! I often miss a friend's messages group chat. I think a sound might be a bit annoying, especially if lots of messages are passed around. Maybe the bubble in the top right corner has a distinct color for a friend's message, and the box on the bottom of the screen shakes where you type in things. Well, thanks for bringing this up! Something should be done!

-Helpful Evan Carter 65

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Good idea...I like it!

How about a parrot 'squawking' when a friend's message 'blows through the wind'. I'm thinking that if I heard Gilbert Godfrey (aka- Iago from Aladdin) beckoning me when a friend's message appears....there is no way in Marleybone that I am going to miss it! Well, I suppose if my speakers are turned down/off-- but when there's a chance of having my lobes graced by Gilbert's 'golden voice', you bet the speakers will be set to stun!

SQUAAAAAAWWWKK!!!

Or.....maybe we could assign various clips of companions' battle zingers (maybe even phrases) to our friends, that way you could tell right away who is messaging you. Just click on the Friends List, select a friend, choose the option 'Assign Zinger', select from list of crew members and....voila-- your very own customized message alerts from your friends. Just watch out if a bunch of friends are sending messages all at once! Ok, so maybe it wouldn't work...but still a neat idea.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
Good idea...I like it!

How about a parrot 'squawking' when a friend's message 'blows through the wind'. I'm thinking that if I heard Gilbert Godfrey (aka- Iago from Aladdin) beckoning me when a friend's message appears....there is no way in Marleybone that I am going to miss it! Well, I suppose if my speakers are turned down/off-- but when there's a chance of having my lobes graced by Gilbert's 'golden voice', you bet the speakers will be set to stun!

SQUAAAAAAWWWKK!!!

Or.....maybe we could assign various clips of companions' battle zingers (maybe even phrases) to our friends, that way you could tell right away who is messaging you. Just click on the Friends List, select a friend, choose the option 'Assign Zinger', select from list of crew members and....voila-- your very own customized message alerts from your friends. Just watch out if a bunch of friends are sending messages all at once! Ok, so maybe it wouldn't work...but still a neat idea.
A parrot noise would be so cool! And just in case the sound is off, a parrot head could poke out of the screen!

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Apr 21, 2015 wrote:
Good idea...I like it!

SQUAAAAAAWWWKK!!!

LOL that is so funny! I like the companion quote idea but I must ask.. What is your battle zinger? I know a few of mine are not printable.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
If you're being bombarded by many friends chatting to you at once a parrot squawking would soon be become quite annoying ( to put it mildly ). On a now defunct MMO I used to play the text message was proceeded by Psssst! as of someone hissing in your ear. I can imagine if a few friends are sending messages to you THIS would sound as the a/c system was breaking down.
For those who are hearing impaired this feature would be of no use; perhaps a visual clue would be less annoying and universal?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
If you're being bombarded by many friends chatting to you at once a parrot squawking would soon be become quite annoying ( to put it mildly ). On a now defunct MMO I used to play the text message was proceeded by Psssst! as of someone hissing in your ear. I can imagine if a few friends are sending messages to you THIS would sound as the a/c system was breaking down.
For those who are hearing impaired this feature would be of no use; perhaps a visual clue would be less annoying and universal?
That's a good point and I'm quite sure it would get rather annoying, if it was the same sound over and over...but I'm a huge fan of options. So, I still like the idea of having both a verbal and a visual 'clue', with the option to set it as you wish-- friend chat notifications either audio, muted, both or simply off. Plus, if there were various sounds, that we could assign to friends...well, it could make for some quite interesting and funny gaming experiences (albeit still with the possibility of the annoying creeping in).

But if companion zingers, stingers (lol, which I believe Dante, is what I was going for originally ), wingers, clingers, pingers and thingamajigers were added, in a decent variety, I would probably, mostly go with the 'sound variety' of notification-- versus the visual, which others may prefer and could set the option to their liking. These audio files are already in the game, so there wouldn't be too much of a need to add more files. Not that anything like this is likely to ever happen, but certainly would enjoy it and find it a neat addition and option.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
anecorbie on Apr 22, 2015 wrote:
Since we already have a visual displayed, maybe flashing lights and/or controlling how long the delay is before the message fades away.