Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

My opinions for changes to the game

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 01, 2009
I gotta say, I love this game. I think Kingsisle did a lot of things right to make a great game and it's still young. However, there are some things i'd like to see added to the game so that people felt like working together more, or that working together wouldn't hold them back.

There needs to be more insentive for people to recruit others (maybe even lower levels) onto their ship for a few loot runs. I think it would improve the ship fighting gameplay if players could man cannons on a friends ship and help them shoot other ships. As it is, i don't see people wanting to jump on a higher levels ship to experience the "crew" mentality because they just stand around on deck with nothing to do mostly. AND even if the captain of the ship can down other ships easily enough to board them on his own, there isn't any insentive for him to carry a crew to take care of the tokens either because they aren't that much of a nuisance in the fight.

Changes I believe should be added to ship fighting are
  • Crew mannable cannons that can only fire once you click on a target and are in range, similar to actually steering the ship and firing (if it's the same range as the computers ship aggro range, there wouldn't be any concern for "ninja pulling" ships either because the cpu would have already started firing anyway)
  • Repair tokens that once completed HEAL a very small portion of the ships health, to incourage people to bring larger crews onto their ship, 2-3 for cannons and the rest can repair tokens.
I think those could easily be balanced because ship fighting is already difficult.

Changes I believe should be made to improve the fighting system
  • Fights take too long, players back out when they see other players going for the same instance because it will mean more bad guys and more pieces on the field that need to move around AND have animations for their attacks. I think the animations need to be shortened, and the player movements perhaps quickened. Anything that can easily shave off a few minutes off the total time of a fight, so that players don't loath getting into fights with other people.
  • Any other idea that i can think of to quicken fights would be game changing and risky. One idea that i've had (that I don't know if it has been mentioned or tested before) is to have cpu's in charge of companions attacks. It might be unpopular though.
These are just some ideas i've thought up because I want this game to be more team based. Who agrees?

Oh and one more thing i think might get people to interact with one another.... add Guilds!

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
I am against the shortening of any animation sequences. That is what makes this game beautiful to watch.

I am against guilds. This issue has been brought up back in Wizard101 forums, and a pretty lengthy discussion may still be in the buried pages of that thread.

Someone who replied in regards to that described it perfectly as to why guilds should not be implemented in a family game. For the life of me I can't describe exactly what he said. There is a word for what guilding in family oriented communities promotes, and it is definitely not family.

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
I am against the shortening of any animation sequences. That is what makes this game beautiful to watch.

I am against guilds. This issue has been brought up back in Wizard101 forums, and a pretty lengthy discussion may still be in the buried pages of that thread.

Someone who replied in regards to that described it perfectly as to why guilds should not be implemented in a family game. For the life of me I can't describe exactly what he said. There is a word for what guilding in family oriented communities promotes, and it is definitely not family.
From what I can tell, having guilds in the game is against the design philosophy for both Wiz and Pirate. While guilds would be a convenience for some aspects of the game, they also can foster a community of exclusion. As the game is complete-able solo (in it's current state) and there is no structured group PvP, the main two reasons to have a guild as opposed to just a friends list are not present (end game raiding and group ranked PvP). I don't mind it not being there. I'd like a shared friend list between all alts on an account (as I am an alt-oholic. can't get enough alt-ohol!) and a few more friend management options would be nice, but I don't think guilds will ever be introduced to either game and I don't think either will suffer for it.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
I would like to also voice my opinion against shortening animations.

For the record, I back off of sigils whenever someone I do not know tries to join with me.
I dont enjoy the additional challenge of dealing with people I am unfamiliar with, it has nothing to do with the length of the dungeon. The last few times I went into a dungeon with a random player they tried to tell me what to do, and quite honestly i've having been in closed beta from the start, I have a bit more experience than most of these bossy pirates.

Its not all about the outcome of a battle to me, its about the process itself.
The animations are a huge what makes the game a pleasure to play.

Keep in mind this game MUST be playable as a Solo player as well, force me to team up and i'll quit sending KI $'s. And that is what its all about in the big picture. Its nice to encourage team, but make sure its not required to be successful and enjoy the game.

Guilds tend to segragate the community, creating even further "divide". We already tend to have a divide between our PVE and PVP communities, I think thats enough... lol

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV