Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Musketeer abilities

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I have to say that the first two abilities you get from being a musketeer are not all that helpful.

Trap? I can only put it on an unused space, and HOPE that an enemy steps on it. That would be okay, if I was assured the enemy would be eliminated, but except for very low characters, it doesn't. So, some enemy comes back, sets off the trap, and can still attack Gee...thanks a lot for nothing.

And then the trap doesn't work on anything which floats. Jellyfish, Batacuda, Flying Fish...forget it. They float right over it. No help at all.

Now, the baracade would be nice, IF I could fire through it. Which I can't. So, I set it up, ruin my view, and enemies just step around it. This might be good if I had a decent range in which to set it up, so I could put it in front of their ranged weaponry experts, but that only lasts until they step around it.

These two are pretty useless.

Community Leader
Max DeGroot on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
I have to say that the first two abilities you get from being a musketeer are not all that helpful.

Trap? I can only put it on an unused space, and HOPE that an enemy steps on it. That would be okay, if I was assured the enemy would be eliminated, but except for very low characters, it doesn't. So, some enemy comes back, sets off the trap, and can still attack Gee...thanks a lot for nothing.

And then the trap doesn't work on anything which floats. Jellyfish, Batacuda, Flying Fish...forget it. They float right over it. No help at all.

Now, the baracade would be nice, IF I could fire through it. Which I can't. So, I set it up, ruin my view, and enemies just step around it. This might be good if I had a decent range in which to set it up, so I could put it in front of their ranged weaponry experts, but that only lasts until they step around it.

These two are pretty useless.
They have their uses, although they may not fit into your strategy, and they may consider reordering these as something you get a little later (at least the barricade).

The barracade should be used to do EXACTLY what you stated!!! Its used to route enemies (forces them around it) where you want, not to block/stop them!

Traps all work this way, and can be very useful as well (just not against flying foes). Be prepared your going to get more of them, that function in the exact same way, but just do more damage. I have fun using traps, and you can often predict where your foes will go, and place the trap accordingly. My set traps on my muskateer get used more often than not.

In Beta, the Muskateer was not nearly as awesome/powerful as they are, they seriously buffed it shortly before the game went live. I would look at these two skills as utilities, they do work as intended.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
Well you can't use them straight forward, muskateers are masters at controlling the board your suppsoe to use these traps and such to move your opponents to the desired location, which to a muskateer would be anywhere you can fire.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Musketeer cards upset me in that they have so many that what you want to use is hard to ever have available while useless cards such as single traps and barricades and cards you can't even use with the weapon you are using takes up space and needs discarding every time they pop up. My other characters don't mind their decks much as they have duplicates and other buffing cards that don't matter so much their order in which they are played. Players should be able to choose what cards they want and don't want in their decks. It isn't realistic at all for cards to be randomly dealt, I mean you are a pirate you have bombs and guns on you. You are going into a fight, your first move that comes to your head is hey lets use the bombs then fire away, but wait those bombs that are upon your character for some reason aren't randomly there, lol. Ya, thats realistic. Either its on you or it isn't and if it is its at your disposal.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2010
Those 2 abilties you refer to as useless have many many good uses sorry to burst your bubble but i played through the game using both to the end game. Sure they may seem useless to someone looking for BIG damage and special effects but guess what they are a strategic tool not meant for outright killing mobs but rather setting you up for easier kills with ranged or strategic attacks. For instance i love to block bottle neck areas so mobs have to go all the way around to get to me by that time i can use a number of ranged abilities and attacks before mobs get to me, i can buff my companions or move to a better vantage point. That little trap you start out with gets better as your pirate levels i have done 1600 damage with it at level 50 and almost 2k damage with the 4x damage one and the scatter trap hits 5 squares in an X and does an average of150-600 damage each. Traps are awesome if you know how to use them. If the mobs go around a trap move yourself or your companions till they do go through it especially if you low hitpoints and about to die run and evade until they fall into the trap so to speak. Give it some time try it several different ways until you get the feel as to where to put the trap. Advice on trap placement: Set up traps next to your characters ther you are not going to move much or are gonna be stationary like ranged companions or put the trap in a square where you going to move a companon right in fron of it so the mobs come for them and set it off. hope this helps the traps are the best weapon a musketeer has trust me when you reach mooshu if you dont use your traps you will fail alot of battles, cause they do alot fo damage when used right. Good luck pirate. PS. At level 25 qnd 50 you get your best traps the bombs thet hit 9 spaces in a square these are very nasty to the mobs and it seems to me they go out of theirway to hit every one of them. The bombs that dont hit any enemies stay in the square till they are hit, so use that to your advantage.

Community Leader
seasnake on Dec 29, 2012 wrote:
Musketeer cards upset me in that they have so many that what you want to use is hard to ever have available while useless cards such as single traps and barricades and cards you can't even use with the weapon you are using takes up space and needs discarding every time they pop up. My other characters don't mind their decks much as they have duplicates and other buffing cards that don't matter so much their order in which they are played. Players should be able to choose what cards they want and don't want in their decks. It isn't realistic at all for cards to be randomly dealt, I mean you are a pirate you have bombs and guns on you. You are going into a fight, your first move that comes to your head is hey lets use the bombs then fire away, but wait those bombs that are upon your character for some reason aren't randomly there, lol. Ya, thats realistic. Either its on you or it isn't and if it is its at your disposal.
Actually whats realistic is different strategies for different players.
Your strategy is not necessarily the approach all Muskateers takes.
Because you dont have a use for these other functions does not mean at all that others do not.
They probably will eventually have to give us some control over these things, but your examples only fit into your personal strategy and dont apply in a big picture perspective.

Discarding the barricade only takes a click, this is usually the only one my muskateer doesnt have a use for every battle. That one click is not going to make or break the game. Traps are most useful at the beginning of a battle, so i'd MUCH rather have them show up at the start, much more so than bombs.

Devising a strategy that fits with the current rule set of the game... thats realistic! ;)

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV